Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The Mike Keneally Albums
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:53 am 

What do you guys think of his music? He has some wonderful stuff -- the hat. album is very much up my alley, with the crazy WOIIFTM / A Wizard, A True Star-like structure. And I really love what I've heard from the album Dog -- really intelligent, melodic hard rock, with some great experimental sounds too. And as a major XTC fan, the Andy Partridge collaboration album Wing Beat Fantastic is also a favorite. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:40 am 

There are other MK threads, but imo, more is better. We don't talk about MK nearly enough around here. I get the idea that maybe people respect him more than they like his music.
I've seen him live once and it was great. Most of his albums take a few listens to get used to. My go-to MK is Pride is a Sin.
A friend of mine just saw him on the Satriani tour. I would have gone just to see MK, but having to sit through all that Satriani seemed a bit much. I'd like to see him in Dethklok, maybe next time.
FZ fans should know about his various versions of Inca Roads. Take yer pick:
https://www.google.com/#q=mike+keneally+inca+roads

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:31 am 

Check him out on Zappa's Universe VHS The fucker was amazing.
I bought Hat like it after seeing ad in Guitar Player Mag never seen him on the music shop selves after :?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:22 pm 

I am a big MK fan. His songs are often unpredictable and full of interesting turns, and just when you start thinking it's hard to listen to he rips off a solo that just kills you. He loves the groove. I wish he'd come to my town sometime with the full MK band.....

I like Beer for Dolphins, both live albums, and well, just about all of it.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:07 pm 

MK is great. I saw him and his band in this tiny music store near Redding, CA a couple of years ago. There were maybe 20 other people in the audience and I was sitting in a chair about 6 feet in front of Mike. Amazing! He played a very similar show to what's on the Bakin' at the Potato cd/dvd. BATP is not a bad place to start for the newcomer either. Why more people aren't clued into this guy I don't know. Now, he's definitely not an easy listen but fans in the post Zappa era who are looking for something new and continually evolving should check him out.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:17 am 

I love Keneally. His orchestral album with the Metropole Orkest is the shit! I love the Dancing album as well as Guitar Therapy Live.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:13 pm 

Mike keneally your Quimby dollars at work/I can't stop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMTlDRFcZ5Y