Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 39  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:18 pm 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
GTA V PS3 I'm just aimlessly driving around exploring the city it's huge, I stopped "playing" the game after destroying the house where the tennis coach was hiding out. When I get bored with the grand tour I'll get back on message, but for now I'm happily robbing my way around the landscape. So far I haven't found any random weapons or body armour lying around yet, the cops are a little intense, but it's fun all the same.

Well this weekend, most of my son's friends, and my son included, were grounded because of terrible quizz scores from school. It is no coincidence that GTAV came out on sept. 17. That the lessons had to be learned in the two weeks following that release. The class average score on the quizz was 5/20. I would wager that you could probly prove that last weekend there was a huge drop in the internet connections to the game because of this phenomenon..

Now back to our program....

This release is going to be bitchen! Did you know that the Roxy belonged to Elmer!

Really, did he still own it in 1973?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:15 am 

tweezers wrote:
The_Acadian_2 wrote:

This release is going to be bitchen! Did you know that the Roxy belonged to Elmer!

"The Roxy was opened on September 23, 1973, by Elmer Valentine and Lou Adler" (dixit Wiki).
Now whether or not the Elmer in question is the same Elmer from the dialog in UM is up for discussion.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:35 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
tweezers wrote:
The_Acadian_2 wrote:

"The Roxy was opened on September 23, 1973, by Elmer Valentine and Lou Adler" (dixit Wiki).
Now whether or not the Elmer in question is the same Elmer from the dialog in UM is up for discussion.

I would think it is. Phil is mentioned also, who was a partner in the Whiskey.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:25 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
I would think it is. Phil is mentioned also, who was a partner in the Whiskey.

wiki says : "The Sunset Strip Whisky was founded by Elmer Valentine, Phil Tanzini, Shelly Davis, and attorney Theodore Flier and opened on January 16, 1964.[5][6] In 1972, Valentine, Lou Adler, Mario Maglieri and others started the Rainbow Bar & Grill on the Sunset Strip. In 1966, Valentine, Adler and others founded The Roxy Theatre.... Valentine sold his interest in the Whisky a Go Go in the 1990s but retained an ownership in the Rainbow Bar & Grill and the Roxy Theatre until his death in December 2008.

Only thing left to do now is find the Gold Cadillac and we're ready to boogie to the UM Project/Object!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:39 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Chester was probably being diplomatic. Weather Report certainly offered a bit more opportunity for self expression. Of course, that does not explain Genesis. Maybe it was the money.

I recently read (unfortunately I cannot remember where) that when Jaco joined WR he didn't click with Chester musically. He (Jaco) went to Joe Zawinul and told him he wanted to bring in Alex Acuna to be the drummer. Zawinul had a tremendous amount of respect for Jaco and was uncertain as to what to do. Zawinul suggested two drummers, but Jaco didn't think having two drummers in the band would work. Zawinul felt that having Jaco in the band was more important than having Chester and was prepared to let Chester go. Coincidentally, however, Phil Collins approached Chester about playing with Genesis. Chester left WR and Zawinul was relieved to not have to make a decision.

So my own speculation is that Chester saw the writing on the wall with WR and this contributed to him leaving.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:14 pm 

sleeping in a jar wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
Chester was probably being diplomatic. Weather Report certainly offered a bit more opportunity for self expression. Of course, that does not explain Genesis. Maybe it was the money.

I recently read (unfortunately I cannot remember where) that when Jaco joined WR he didn't click with Chester musically. He (Jaco) went to Joe Zawinul and told him he wanted to bring in Alex Acuna to be the drummer. Zawinul had a tremendous amount of respect for Jaco and was uncertain as to what to do. Zawinul suggested two drummers, but Jaco didn't think having two drummers in the band would work. Zawinul felt that having Jaco in the band was more important than having Chester and was prepared to let Chester go. Coincidentally, however, Phil Collins approached Chester about playing with Genesis. Chester left WR and Zawinul was relieved to not have to make a decision.

So my own speculation is that Chester saw the writing on the wall with WR and this contributed to him leaving.

Makes sense. Thanks.

Jaco really changed that band.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:21 am 

If I'm not mistaken, Weather Report played their first concert sans Chester in April 1976. Whereas Genesis was concurrently touring with Bill Bruford as a stand-in drummer. And this arrangement would last till July 1976. Chester's live debut with Genesis would be on January 1st of 1977. It's anybody's guess when Phil Collins actually approached Chester.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:19 pm 

At a Chester show a couple years ago, during a Q&A, he said FZ had put the band on hiatus, cancelling shows (so Frank could work with all his new video equipment) and the WR chair was open, so he went. Chester said that later Phil called and the money was considerably more, so he moved on.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:05 pm 

weather report was great, in all line ups, Black market is still fun to listen to.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:33 pm 

WR with Peter Erskine was great too. Love his playing!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:30 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
weather report was great, in all line ups, Black market is still fun to listen to.

Here here!

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:28 pm 

Erskine has played with the Buddy Rich tribute orchestra regularly he is great with big band also.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:50 pm 

Weather Report was the best. A song like Waterfall is just completely from somewhere else. It's the opposite of showing off. Each part is simple and beautiful. Technically- it's not challenging at all but only those 5 people could have conceived it. It's not generic the way so much of that so called jazz-fusion became. It sounds like it has a halo shining over it's head. It's improvised yet obviously certain things were worked out. The way Shorter hits that b-flat after the long, floating C before going up to the G (on two separate occasions). The first time he goes from G down to E, the 2nd time he goes up to A after the G on his way to the E. Majestic. And Airto!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:08 pm 

Yea, but can ya whistle it while ya work? My reasoning for a good song - tapping your foot and whistling it. (Thanx to Louis Armstrong for that remark!)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:14 pm 

johnnycat wrote:
Yea, but can ya whistle it while ya work? My reasoning for a good song - tapping your foot and whistling it. (Thanx to Louis Armstrong for that remark!)

..and I think to myself, "What a wonderful world!". ~ Sachmo' Ambassador still at large to the world and now universe. Imagine FZ and LA, both with an orchestra, jamming off each other from opposite end zones until they meet on the 50yard line and you have the perfect storm of musical of ideas, clashing then consorting with each other until there are no end zones but musical results!
Did it all start with a note on an imaginary field or one that made a sound that caused a Big Bang? And now is it our job to find out why and what key it was in. Or not? :lol:
Either way, the thought of those two together just having fun has infinite possibilities in my mind. How 'bout y'all? Would FZ & LA have gotten along musically? What would stop those two from playing together at a time when they were both alive? Age...no?...Musical tastes...no? I've got it! Record company pricks that didn't figure there would be any cream to skim off the top for themselves with a collaboration like that!
Although by the time FZ could afford to approach LA on his own, LA was not in good health. Still to bad those two didn't get together musically in some small way. imho. :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:01 am 

Wow - That would be a wonderful collaboration -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:00 pm 

Wheres mine!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRANK-ZAPPA-ROX ... _720wt_964

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:10 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
Barfko-Swill • Roxy by Proxy CD Pre-Order

Items in this department are available for pre-order and will ship on or around October 18, 2013.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:56 am 

Shipping and handling
To
Service
Delivery*
US $2.53
United States
Economy Shipping (USPS Media MailTM)
Estimated between Tue. Nov. 26 and Wed. Dec. 4

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:25 am 

Phlakaton wrote:
Shipping and handling
To
Service
Delivery*
US $2.53
United States
Economy Shipping (USPS Media MailTM)
Estimated between Tue. Nov. 26 and Wed. Dec. 4

Not sure where you got your information.

With today being the "on or around October 18, 2013" ship date for pre-orders I gave MusicToday customer service a call. Just having got off the phone with a customer service rep, I'd like to share that information. MuisicToday are expecting to receive the product next Tuesday, Oct 22nd and begin shipping shortly thereafter. I for one remain patient. While there has been a delay in RoxyByProxy the reported shipping time-frame is well within the "on or around October 18, 2013". Hopefully all the pre-order folks get their product in time for Halloween!

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:07 am 

I'm still excited about this release, but - having just reviewed my 7/31/13 order - I am a bit gobsmacked by how much it's costing me: $29! This may be the most I've ever spent on a new, single CD...

Processing Roxy By Proxy CD ZPCD166 $21.12 x 1
Subtotal:$21.12
Shipping and Handling:$5.73
Tax:$2.15
TOTAL:$29.00

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:27 am 

liv3evil wrote:
I'm still excited about this release, but - having just reviewed my 7/31/13 order - I am a bit gobsmacked by how much it's costing me: $29! This may be the most I've ever spent on a new, single CD...

If your a bit, as you say "godsmacked" I am not quite sure you put the context of this release in perspective. This cottage-industry release has always been about the fans, or someone that just really cares, to come along and contribute to the film. We are lucky to even get it at this price. Not that I think this form of sale will bring in large-scaled contributions but this project certainly opened the thought of what it costs to do/run a business. Folks could have purchased a distributor license and figured out what they would have to have sold it for to even break even. Who knows to break even it may have to sell for $50 a CD. While it may seem a bit expensive for a single 75' 49" CD, is not the running time longer than Freak Out?

Back in the late 70s and early 80s Zappa fans were parting with $100(where $100 was valued a whole lot more) to get their hands on Freak Out in used record shops. That and a number of FZ/Mothers records were no longer in distribution so if you wanted it you had to pay Bleaker Bobs or whatever local used record shop fiddler has a copy. It's not that I am accustomed to spending $21.12 plus tax and shipping for a single CD purchase, but in this case had I been able to afford to do so I would have purchased the distributor license.

Pointedly this is a very special project that some fans are heart-fully giving a bit more, to be a bigger part of a bigger plan. $21.12 is a reasonable price to pay. Is 21.12 the new standard for a single CD from a small cottage industry? Hmmm. If it keeps Barfko Swill in business, I am fine with that. It's a unique new product, that unfortunately does not have large scaled distribution and finances for large scaled marketing. The shipping and tax are someone else's business. I hope you not only enjoy your CD but analyse the process of contributing an extra dollar or two towards something bigger. I pay over $10 in taxes for each tank of gas for my car. The local cable companies charge $25 a month to rent their multi-room dvr. The cost of business is just escalating. For some small cottage industries it's just a matter of survival.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:00 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
liv3evil wrote:

If your a bit, as you say "godsmacked" I am not quite sure you put the context of this release in perspective. This cottage-industry release has always been about the fans, or someone that just really cares, to come along and contribute to the film. We are lucky to even get it at this price. Not that I think this form of sale will bring in large-scaled contributions but this project certainly opened the thought of what it costs to do/run a business. Folks could have purchased a distributor license and figured out what they would have to have sold it for to even break even. Who knows to break even it may have to sell for $50 a CD. While it may seem a bit expensive for a single 75' 49" CD, is not the running time longer than Freak Out?

Back in the late 70s and early 80s Zappa fans were parting with $100(where $100 was valued a whole lot more) to get their hands on Freak Out in used record shops. That and a number of FZ/Mothers records were no longer in distribution so if you wanted it you had to pay Bleaker Bobs or whatever local used record shop fiddler has a copy. It's not that I am accustomed to spending $21.12 plus tax and shipping for a single CD purchase, but in this case had I been able to afford to do so I would have purchased the distributor license.

Pointedly this is a very special project that some fans are heart-fully giving a bit more, to be a bigger part of a bigger plan. $21.12 is a reasonable price to pay. Is 21.12 the new standard for a single CD from a small cottage industry? Hmmm. If it keeps Barfko Swill in business, I am fine with that. It's a unique new product, that unfortunately does not have large scaled distribution and finances for large scaled marketing. The shipping and tax are someone else's business. I hope you not only enjoy your CD but analyse the process of contributing an extra dollar or two towards something bigger. I pay over $10 in taxes for each tank of gas for my car. The local cable companies charge $25 a month to rent their multi-room dvr. The cost of business is just escalating. For some small cottage industries it's just a matter of survival.

STOP TYPING!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:23 am 

Trendmonger wrote:

With today being the "on or around October 18, 2013" ship date for pre-orders I gave MusicToday customer service a call. Just having got off the phone with a customer service rep, I'd like to share that information. MuisicToday are expecting to receive the product next Tuesday, Oct 22nd and begin shipping shortly thereafter. I for one remain patient. While there has been a delay in RoxyByProxy the reported shipping time-frame is well within the "on or around October 18, 2013". Hopefully all the pre-order folks get their product in time for Halloween!

Probably the only time in recorded history I will ever agree with you.
Still, it is high time ZFT figure their collective shit out, had I known it was going to
be this close to Nov before I got my pre-order I would've just picked the damn thing up at the ZPZ show and saved the S&H money-gouge.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:27 am 

Trying not to bitch about it but this thing should have been available during the whole tour at all the shows! But that would have made too much sense.

Last edited by jaypfunk on Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 39  Next