Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 319, 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325 ... 343  Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:49 pm 

a friend of mine takes the black walnuts, sprinkles a small amount of seasoning on them and smokes them, apple chips , they work great then. this of course is nut meat, not whole

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:56 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Caputh wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Suffered accusations of spiting hate...

We know the haters are in the wrong.

Can we love them into being right?

Ah, I'm not Jesus-like enough to love the ones who love to hate the ones we love.
In this specific case, the haters are in the wrong for hating the ones we love to love.
So I love to hate the haters and I'm sure they love to hate the ones who hate to love the ones that hate.
This is a very old rule, Kiirk, and there's nothing to be ashamed about...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:48 pm 

I made an antenna for an HDTV. I had a store bought one and one of the poles snapped.. I haven't done any project like that before, and it doesn't look all that great, but I now get all our local channels crystal clear. This is what the end product looks like:

That's not the one I made, that one's a bit prettier than mine.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:46 pm 

My moms husband makes those people swear by them... :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:41 pm 

Plook wrote:
My moms husband makes those people swear by them...

In what dungeon does he whip them into submission? :P

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:43 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Plook wrote:
My moms husband makes those people swear by them...

In what dungeon does he whip them into submission? :P

He had to rent a warehouse they don't have not so secret basements in souther california... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:26 pm 

Mrs. Flycoon and I are watching Mythbusters. A friend of hers is an extra in the Zombie Apocalypse episode...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:01 pm 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
Mrs. Flycoon and I are watching Mythbusters. A friend of hers is an extra in the Zombie Apocalypse episode...

Not on Free TV. :(

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:20 am 

That's nice, MTF!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:13 am 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:

You'll need to shoot them in the head next time you see them... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:41 am 

Discovered my closet door didn't close last night, so I pushed it... and the door fell down on me. After that I spent a good half hour trying to get the door back in the hinges.

Went to the supermarket. We were awaiting a package yesterday, and it might come today, but we had to do the groceries so we were off... and on the way there, we saw the yellow delivery van heading our way. I raced back home at top speed and got the package.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:27 am 

Went to donate blood today, but got turned away due to my lingering cold from my strep throat 3 weeks ago. Bummer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:08 pm 

Will be off to be a blind guide today. And tomorrow. I'll be going to Arnhem (good ol' Sebastiaan's homeground), to the open air museum, to go climbing on one of those cool walls, to do something creative but I'm not sure what yet, and to go to a lot of pubs. Without drinking of course, I don't do that.

Post subject: Re: Walnuts!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:53 am 

Milton Bradley wrote:
Same here, Caputh.

I was just wondering - what method do use to store them? We have the problem that the walnut kernels themselves, when fresh, are quite damp. Plus, it being autumn, the nuts themselves are damp when I collect them. We had previously stored them in our outhouses, but found that they often went mouldy in a damp atmosphere. Last year, which was not a very good year for walnuts, I stored them in the kitchen on top of our cupboards and the results were much better. This year, with loads of walnuts, we seem to be getting more mouldy walnuts. Do you (or indeed BBP or BRAVO SIERRA) have a good suggestion for the ideal walnut storing process?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:26 pm 

Caputh wrote:
Milton Bradley wrote:
Same here, Caputh.

I was just wondering - what method do use to store them? We have the problem that the walnut kernels themselves, when fresh, are quite damp. Plus, it being autumn, the nuts themselves are damp when I collect them. We had previously stored them in our outhouses, but found that they often went mouldy in a damp atmosphere. Last year, which was not a very good year for walnuts, I stored them in the kitchen on top of our cupboards and the results were much better. This year, with loads of walnuts, we seem to be getting more mouldy walnuts. Do you (or indeed BBP or BRAVO SIERRA) have a good suggestion for the ideal walnut storing process?

Growing up we had an acre of walnuts and we'd husk & dry them on trays, then store the husked & cracked meat in jars and the whole ones in burlap sacks in a dry place. Not much humidity to worry about out here, but I remember keeping them on shelves off the floor/ground in our basement in burlap sacks even though it was never damp. I'd go down and fill the walnut bowl from one of the sacks. They lasted almost to the next season. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:34 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Caputh wrote:
Milton Bradley wrote:
Same here, Caputh.

Growing up we had an acre of walnuts and we'd husk & dry them on trays, then store the husked & cracked meat in jars and the whole ones in burlap sacks in a dry place. Not much humidity to worry about out here, but I remember keeping them on shelves off the floor/ground in our basement in burlap sacks even though it was never damp. I'd go down and fill the walnut bowl from one of the sacks. They lasted almost to the next season. 8)

Although still a newbie in all things walnut, I might be able to pass along some helpful tips.

1. Once the walnuts have been gathered and hulled down to the shell and meat I clean off the outer shell of the majority of filth and grit.

2. Then I arrange them on newspapers to dry for about 2-3 weeks. This helps eliminate inner moisture as long they are being dried in a fairly dry area with low humidity. Direct sunlight is best. A greenhouse would help but isn't necessary.

3. I also think that roasting them (in or out of the shell) helps reduce the acidity and bitterness and to preserve the taste to an extent. Waning: Keep the temperature of your oven on a lower setting like 300-325 degrees F otherwise you may overcook/burn them. I've read that walnuts have a short shelf life because of their acidity makes them more likely to become rancid (almonds tend to have a longer shelf life)

4. As for storing: Have you tried vacuum sealing? Can you freeze them without any weird aftertaste?
You may have to do a bit of experimentation. Just keep an eye on the humidity and remember to dry them out as much as possible so they won't be as likely to develop mold.

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:57 pm 

^ Sound advice MB. Once the moister from inside is removed they'll keep longer. Sundried is the best, then keep in a dry ventilated storage space with alike dry goods, potatoes, yams, onions, nuts 'n' tubers 'n' the like. Good stuff! 8)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:27 pm 

Oil of Hate, excerpt - Eugene Chadbourne

You got your Oil of Olay
Keeps your skin fresh all day
Then you got Walnut Oil
Refrigerate or it'll spoil...
Peanut oil making people's hearts palpitate
It's completely safe
Compared to the Oil of Hate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:59 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Oil of Hate, excerpt - Eugene Chadbourne

You got your Oil of Olay
Keeps your skin fresh all day
Then you got Walnut Oil
Refrigerate or it'll spoil...
Peanut oil making people's hearts palpitate
It's completely safe
Compared to the Oil of Hate

When I read that one RK, I couldn't help but read it like The Hanukkah Song by Adam Sandler. Good message either way. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:39 pm 

tiboudre wrote:
Went to donate blood today, but got turned away due to my lingering cold from my strep throat 3 weeks ago. Bummer.

The Red Cross doesn't want my blood. Seems I have an enzyme that gives a false positive for HIV. For some reason, they don't want that...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:57 pm 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
tiboudre wrote:

The Red Cross doesn't want my blood. Seems I have an enzyme that gives a false positive for HIV. For some reason, they don't want that...

It might be a nice and an unusual trip, if anyone got my blood...but we can't have that. Why some folks might have instant too much fun and a trip to trippy for them to handle. They might even eat flowers and such nonsense. Take their close off when the dance! Watch the slime oozing out the TV! Yikes, I'm scaring myself!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:49 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:
Although still a newbie in all things walnut, I might be able to pass along some helpful tips.

1. Once the walnuts have been gathered and hulled down to the shell and meat I clean off the outer shell of the majority of filth and grit.

2. Then I arrange them on newspapers to dry for about 2-3 weeks. This helps eliminate inner moisture as long they are being dried in a fairly dry area with low humidity. Direct sunlight is best. A greenhouse would help but isn't necessary.

3. I also think that roasting them (in or out of the shell) helps reduce the acidity and bitterness and to preserve the taste to an extent. Waning: Keep the temperature of your oven on a lower setting like 300-325 degrees F otherwise you may overcook/burn them. I've read that walnuts have a short shelf life because of their acidity makes them more likely to become rancid (almonds tend to have a longer shelf life)

4. As for storing: Have you tried vacuum sealing? Can you freeze them without any weird aftertaste?
You may have to do a bit of experimentation. Just keep an eye on the humidity and remember to dry them out as much as possible so they won't be as likely to develop mold.

Good advice. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:45 am 

My tip for storing them is eating them, Caputh. I rarely get to eat walnuts, so it's really a bit of a walnut party when someone sells them cheap or so.

Tadaima! Went out to play blind guide for the weekend, in the beautiful place of Arnhem, known to some people here as One Bridge Too Far in WW2, known to others as the residence of our dear friend Sebastiaan. I didn't see him but I did see his house. Miss you Seb!
Anyway we had this weird creativity hour with something called Playmais, hit the town, visited the Open Air Museum and went climbing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:09 pm 

Been called racist by a rep of the UN. Shows what they know.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:16 pm 

How come, Beeps?

I, for one, unintentionally bumped many I must have more threads...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 319, 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325 ... 343  Next