Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:22 am 

tiboudre wrote:
he doesn't write funk music, he writes dance music. Very different.
Big Coincidence the best Funk Guitar player on the planet is in a Disco Band then :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:48 pm 

Apart from any and all 70' era p-funk there were Prince Charles and the City Beat Band in the 80's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JrvQqM377E

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:05 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVHyg8iug5c
Snoop Dogg - Upside Ya Head

Sample i know i remember the Dance sit behind another all slap the floor and shit :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:06 pm 

brainpang wrote:
Prince -- another genius, I take it? Outside of people concerned about fashion, I never understood his massive popularity.

Maybe try listening to his music.

tiboudre wrote:
I like most of Prince's stuff, especially Sign 'O the Times. However, he doesn't write funk music, he writes dance music. Very different.

Wtf? He writes BOTH...as well as pop, rock, soul, r&b, jazz, fusion, etc.

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:32 am 

Disco Boy wrote:

To you, probably. To me, he's little light in the funk department, like Steely Dan's 'funk'. Name me 5 Prince tunes where his drummer (or drum machine) plays behind the beat.

cleon wrote:
Big Coincidence the best Funk Guitar player on the planet is in a Disco Band then :smoke:

Prince is good, but John Frusciante, Eddie Hazel and Leo Nocentelli can kick his ass on their worst days.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:11 am 

tiboudre wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

To you, probably. To me, he's little light in the funk department, like Steely Dan's 'funk'. Name me 5 Prince tunes where his drummer (or drum machine) plays behind the beat.

cleon wrote:

Prince is good, but John Frusciante, Eddie Hazel and Leo Nocentelli can kick his ass on their worst days.

Fuck prince at Funk Nile Rodgers will kick anybody's Ass and those you said would most likely agree 8)

The Rolling stones off time drumming and it ain't funk take more than a drummer off beat too make a Funk band.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:21 am 

Disco Fanboy is out again. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:34 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsJ4pALlbEM
Starsky and Hutch Main Theme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:50 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCFVEvZvo3g
The Professionals Theme Tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrsRJh9DhNM
The New Avengers Opening Titles (HQ)

how come the avengers sounds American funk :|

Post subject: re: more funk
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:32 pm 

vinnie !!

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:00 pm 

tiboudre wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

To me?! You mean to MILLIONS of fans. And a little light in the funk department?! And I'm sure there are plenty, but why does it matter whether or not his drummers (including him) play behind the beat or not?

You're talking about Prince here, right?

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:56 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
Disco Fanboy is out again. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:18 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
To me?! You mean to MILLIONS of fans. And a little light in the funk department?! And I'm sure there are plenty, but why does it matter whether or not his drummers (including him) play behind the beat or not?

Yes, I'm talking about Prince. Your argument was that he writes both dance and funk tunes. I say he only writes dance tunes, because he does not encapture the full vibe and flavor of tha funk i.e. playing behind the beat.

Examples of playing behind the beat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqtAidR-dgA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhoOOOln-Fw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPjZ_KpwXH8

You dig?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:55 am 

yes Prince does play some funk but the original comment was that PURPLE RAIN IS NOT FUCKING FUNK!!!

get it now? Disco Douche!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:13 am 

I may be wrong, bur looking at the "Breaking News" thread and this one, I can almost sense imminent additions to the "How to Insult People Thread". Time will tell....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:15 am 

tiboudre wrote:

Examples of playing behind the beat.

It's called Off Beat,not behind the beat that don't make sense what goes around comes around so how is the beat going too be before,and it don't make Funk :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:43 am 

Zapp (band)
I Don't even know how i knew that,remembered the name because it was next too Zappa in record shops i just test it on You Tube I'd call it Funk have got more time of day for it now i heard it once years ago and thought it sucked :|

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:39 am 

Disco Funk :|

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qchPLaiKocI
Kool & The Gang - Get Down On It

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2XhhuM9GZo
Patrice Rushen - Forget Me Nots

It works like this if you take any kind of a melody i don't care if it Hawaiian Music or whatever it is and you play it with a Fuzz Tone Guitar and a Certain kind of drum beat people will call it Rock N Roll but what you got is a Hawaiian song so how you Gonna Cauterize it.
Australia land :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:27 pm 

Riddles Are Abound Tonight seems funky to me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:20 pm 

tiboudre wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

Yes, I'm talking about Prince. Your argument was that he writes both dance and funk tunes. I say he only writes dance tunes, because he does not encapture the full vibe and flavor of tha funk i.e. playing behind the beat.

Examples of playing behind the beat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqtAidR-dgA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhoOOOln-Fw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPjZ_KpwXH8

You dig?

No, you're talking about someone else. Because Prince incorporates a variety of styles in his music, which heavily relies on funk. Playing "offbeat" is only one form of funk and while Prince doesn't utilize it that often, he has sometimes, more so in his live shows. Funk chords are played in a DANCEABLE style and are rooted in dominant 6ths, 7ths, 9ths and even minor 7ths & 11ths, as well as repeated groove-based rhythms and electric bass lines. These elements are smothered in almost all of Prince's songs. Playing "offbeat" does NOT strictly define funk.

jaypfunk wrote:
yes Prince does play some funk but the original comment was that PURPLE RAIN IS NOT FUCKING FUNK!!!

get it now? Disco Douche!!

Prince plays a LOT of funk. And YES Purple Rain is in part funk. But it also incorporates r&b, soul, pop, rock, dance, etc. That was my point all along, genius...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:09 am 

There is ZERO funk in the fucking song Purple Rain you moron. It's a ballad.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:42 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
No, you're talking about someone else. Because Prince incorporates a variety of styles in his music, which heavily relies on funk. Playing "offbeat" is only one form of funk and while Prince doesn't utilize it that often, he has sometimes, more so in his live shows. Funk chords are played in a DANCEABLE style and are rooted in dominant 6ths, 7ths, 9ths and even minor 7ths & 11ths, as well as repeated groove-based rhythms and electric bass lines. These elements are smothered in almost all of Prince's songs. Playing "offbeat" does NOT strictly define funk.

I was refering to what you said earlier about Prince playing both dance and funk. Let me try a different approach. To me, Prince doesn't play funk music for reasons stated earlier. I understand what you're conveying with your definition of funk, however, those same characteristics can be applied to Talking Heads. I like their music, however as mechanical as it does sound, similarly to Prince. Would you consider them a funk band?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:28 pm 

discoboy wrote:
even minor 7ths & 11ths,

What do you mean by "even"? Many of the all time funk jams are based on minor 7ths. Funk is about feeling, anyway. It's not about which chords you use. Funk can't be defined by chord types or notes. It's a state of mind. It's physical, too. How you play. The attack. Prince is funky but the song Purple Rain aint all that funky. It's a good song but a weird choice. It's not funky like, say, Lady Cab Driver, Sexy Dancer or even Prince's most kick ass song: I'm Yours.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:41 pm 

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:12 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
discoboy wrote:
even minor 7ths & 11ths,

What do you mean by "even
anyway. It's not about which chords you use. Funk can't be defined by chord types or notes. It's a state of mind. It's physical, too. How you play. The attack[/i].
Possibly not Major :P
Fuck you going Tech for Mind Physical Play,It's just the right Chords And NOTES.If you got you own style :mrgreen: