Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Lou Reed dead at 71
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:50 am 

Lou Reed died today, probably due to liver complications.

http://music.yahoo.com/news/lou-reed-ve ... stone.html

I always looked down at him, John Cale and Sterling Morrison for the lousy things they said about FZ over the years (and Cale continued it even after FZ passed away). I thought it was terrible that the Rock 'N' Roll HOF demanded that Reed be the one who made the induction speech for FZ (denying the family the opportunity to choose their own presenter).

Having said that, I thought the Velvet Underground was undeniably a brilliant and influential group and I own all of their work. As for a solo artist, I have mixed opinions on Reed. I thought Berlin, New York and Ecstasy were excellent but not so much a lot of his other stuff. I actually thought Cale was the better solo artist.

Post subject: Re: Lou Reed dead at 71
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:52 am 

RIP i will be playing some music on way down to phish tonight great musician

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:04 pm 

Lou had me shakin' to that fine, fine music
He saved my life with rock 'n' roll :smoke:
Good night, Lou... Rest in Peace...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:07 pm 

big pic of big Lou

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:33 pm 

Tonight Mrs. Flycoon and I saw They Might Be Giants. Toward the end of the show each musician had a little solo. The bassist - Danny Weinkauf - played the opening bars of "Walk On The Wild Side." It was a nice little tribute...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:21 am 

Just played "Lou Reed's Dead" by Muchacha, good stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:24 am 

I'll always remember Lou Reed for his 'Rock n Roll Animal' live album.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:18 pm 

coevad wrote:

One of my fav's! Who were the two lead guitarist that played together on that album? The guitars sounded great all the way through. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:20 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
coevad wrote:

One of my fav's! Who were the two lead guitarist that played together on that album? The guitars sounded great all the way through. :)

Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:32 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
coevad wrote:

Thank ye JayP. 8) Anyone know what happened to those guys after the success of R&R Animal with LR? :?:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:48 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

Thank ye JayP. 8) Anyone know what happened to those guys after the success of R&R Animal with LR? :?:

Both went on to be in Alice Cooper's 1975 Welcome To My Nightmare band for both the album and the tour along with the other 2 guys Whitey Glan and Parrakesh John.

That was an amazing band.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:53 pm 

Dick Wagner played guitar on Tim Curry's albums and toured with him. Wrote some nice songs for him too, along with Michael Kamen.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:06 pm 

AC always had a very good rock band behind him and Nightmare is one of my favorite AC albums. The name Steve Hunter sounded sooo familiar...no wonder it was under my f-ing nose!

I didn't know Tim Curry toured!?! Was it a RHPS kinda thing or did Mr.Curry tour with his own band and sing/preform too?

That would make a great musical. Rocky Horror Meets Alice's Nightmare!!! :D 8)

Thanx y'all. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:20 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
AC always had a very good rock band behind him and Nightmare is one of my favorite AC albums. The name Steve Hunter sounded sooo familiar...no wonder it was under my f-ing nose!

I didn't know Tim Curry toured!?! Was it a RHPS kinda thing or did Mr.Curry tour with his own band and sing/preform too?

Thanx y'all. 8)

I had those Tim Curry albums. They were pretty good - maybe a little Bowie-esque. I remember an album and song called "Simplicity". Good song - a ballad. He also had that song "The Rock" that was kind of a minor hit.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:06 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

Thanx y'all. 8)

He toured back in 1978 to 1981 with his band, in the US, UK and Germany. Someone brought a home video to his '78 concert in Chicago, and it's great to see him at work, even if he's intoxicated. His first album, Read My Lips, is mostly cover material, but his second, Fearless, already sports some pretty good original songs: I Do The Rock, Paradise Garage, Something Short Of Paradise... His third album, Simplicity, is a tad more experimental and also quite enjoyable, with the beautiful song Sloe Gin that Joe Bonamassa covers frequently. Curry even wrote the lyrics to some of those songs. He did also sing I'm Going Home from RHPS on his first tour. There's a Chicago video of that as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXeKKVzvOnU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:23 am 

David Byrne Remembers the 'Brave' Lou Reed

"His music, with and without the Velvets, was a big influence on myself and Talking Heads," Byrne tells Rolling Stone

Memorials for Lou Reed, who died yesterday at age 71, continue to pour in. Talking Heads' founder David Byrne, one of the integral artists of the New York new wave/punk scene in the Seventies and Eighties, has responded with a heartfelt memory of what the pioneering musician meant to him. Here's what he told Rolling Stone exclusively about the loss of Reed:

I just got an email from a Chilean actress who wrote what it meant to be able to hear Lou's work during the period of dictatorship there. A breath of life, she called it. That gives you some idea of how widespread and deep his influence was.

No surprise I was a big fan, and his music, with and without the Velvets, was a big influence on myself and Talking Heads. He came to see us at CBGB numerous times, and I remember three of us going to visit him at his Upper East Side (!) apartment after one of our very early gigs there.

Lou was talking a mile a minute and going through tubs of Haagen-Dazs ice cream while he suggested some variations and adjustments we might make to some of our songs. He began to play our song "Tentative Decisions" (a very Lou song title, no?) but he played it way slower than we were doing it. He was showing us how the song might be as a ballad — which made it more melancholic and elegiac than our bouncy version. It suddenly was of a piece with "Candy Says," "Some Kind of Love" or "Pale Blue Eyes." Of course we were in awe — here was one of our heroes playing one of our little songs. But by then it was the wee hours of the morning, dawn was coming, and we were all pretty spaced out — and we three probably had day jobs to get to at that point.

I kept in touch with Lou over the years. We'd run into one another at concerts or at various NY cultural events and benefits. I remember how brave (and artistically successful) I thought Magic and Loss was . . . and how well his theatrical collaborations with Robert Wilsons' worked . . . and I knew what a convoluted process that could be, having done it myself twice.

More recently I'd see Lou and Laurie socially — we'd join mutual friends for dinner sometimes — and at concerts. He and Laurie never stopped checking out emerging artists, bands and all sorts of performances. That was, for me, inspirational as well. Lots of creative types retreat after they achieve a certain level of success or renown — Lou seemed to maintain his curiosity and willingness to take risks.

His work and that of the Velvets was a big reason I moved to NY and I don't think I'm alone there. We wanted to be in a city that nurtured and fed that kind of talent.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:25 pm 

I'm sorry he's gone, but I never really liked his music or the LR culture. I just hate seeing another one bite the dust....

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:26 pm 

Like him or not, you should at least understand that Lou Reed was important.

Most musicians just find an open spot, sit down and that's their style. Few people ever venture too far out of that style, and only one in a million is willing to fight his way out of whatever pigeonhole he's in. Frank Zappa did that. Bob Dylan did it. Miles Davis did it.

And Lou Reed did it.

Each one of them took some bullets trying to stake out his new territory, and each one had his own Packard Goose moment where he said "Fuck me? No: fuck you." Ultimately, each one withstood the assault and came out of the process stronger than his critics.

Lou Reed wasn't the greatest singer, and his guitar playing left a lot to be desired. But he wrote some good songs, and he was important...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:43 pm 

1973 or 4 Lou Reed appeared in concert at the Wellington town hall.....after we had been waiting for about an hour....a little man came on stage and said "those of you who are true Lou Reed fans will understand why Lou can't perform tonight" at which point the little man was showered with beer cans, and had to give the rest of his speech from back stage...the upshot was we were all coming back tomorrow night to see Lou Reed...

Fast forward to the next night, the band (right on time) played a couple of songs, then a very very pale Lou Reed wearing a yellow tee shirt, black jeans and sun glasses was helped onto the stage, his minders sat him down on the edge of the front of the stage, "put" an acoustic guitar under his arm and it was show time, Lou didn't say a word, didn't sing a note or strum a cord, the band raced through the hits and then it was goodnight Wellington wherever you are, then without a smile a sneer or even a wave an expressionless Lou Reed was helped from the stage.

The next day the promoters said Mr. Reed was suffering after a gruelling long haul flight (from Sydney Australia, 3 hours max) then he was suffering from a cold, then it was a bad reaction to some local cuisine....The facts were that Lou Reed was so fucking wasted he couldn't perform....To my knowledge he never bothered to tour NZ again.....

What Lou Reed said about Frank Zappa: He's probably the single most untalented person I've heard in my life. He's a two-bit pretentious academic, and he can't play rock'n'roll, because he's a loser. And that's why he dresses up funny. He's not happy with himself, and I think he's right.

1995 Lou Reed inducting Frank Zappa into the Rock and Roll hall of Fame: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_McaUor0G0

Will the real Lou Reed please stand up......oops to late

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:02 pm 

CityHallFred wrote:
I thought Berlin, New York and Ecstasy were excellent but not so much a lot of his other stuff. I actually thought Cale was the better solo artist.

I thought the album Cale and Reed did together, Songs for Drella, was better than either man's solo catalog.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:48 pm 

This is the shit. Kicks with Don Cherry on trumpet 1976
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gScT4L0l6lg

Post subject: Re: lou reed dead at 71
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:30 pm 

one of my favorite albums (by anyone), of all time:

rest in peace, mr. reed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:21 am 

I didn't listen to Loaded much before, but put it on the other day and loved it. Here's a a great little tune --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNqwSwEtEVg

Velvet Underground: Oh! Sweet Nuthin'

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:41 pm 

DC Boogie wrote:
I didn't listen to Loaded much before, but put it on the other day and loved it.

Loaded might be the best album Lou Reed ever made.

New York is so overrated. I'm always suspicious when the critics start praising something. It's rarely for musical reasons. Usually it's political reasons. NY is very short on great Lou Reed vocal melodies. The band sounds like they should be backing Tracy Chapman or whoever was being hyped as the new, folksy, liberal singer/songwriter sensation in 1989. His 76-80 band was way better but not many noticed. Growing Up In Public, for example, is much more interesting musically, lyrically and vocally. Whoever thought they'd hear Lou Reed sing: Shake your booty, mama, get up and dance!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:03 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
I'm always suspicious when the critics start praising something. It's rarely for musical reasons. Usually it's political reasons.

+1