Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:44 am 

I just listened to some of the tracks on the 5 disc Paul Buff collection, which includes some FZ guitar work from around 1963. While the playing is more fumbling than virtuistic (?), it's distinctly FZ in phrasing and melodic sense, with just a slight premonition of the mock medieval/gypsy melodies that became so typical of his playing during the last half of the Sixties. "Can't Stand Up" and "Walkin' Out" are good examples. I don't think anyone would call these energetic ditties displays of guitar virtuosity, but they are early indications/steps towards his later, more mature style.

From the "Paul Buff presents the PAL and Original Sound studio archives, vol.1" liner notes by Greg Russo:

"The Pal Studio Band featured Paul Buff, Frank Zappa and whoever else was around at the time. For the track on this volume, "Can't Stand Up," Buff and Zappa took the recent Dovells hit "You Can't Sit Down" and created their own reinterpretation in the spring of 1963. Zappa taught Paul Buff the drum roll that frequently turns up on this track, and Frank did multiple guitar parts. One of these parts is a fuzz solo that spans the second half of the song. This is the first of the unreleased Pal tracks on this series that feature Frank Zappa."

From the "Paul Buff presents the PAL and Original Sound studio archives, vol.4" liner notes by Greg Russo:

"“Walkin’ Out” by The Pal Studio Band is another Zappa instrumental showcase that has never been heard. Like all the others Pal Studio Band tracks, this dates from April 1963."

http://www.united-mutations.com/p/palstudioband.htm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:18 pm 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
The first time FZ' guitar really "got me", was when i heard "9 types of Industrial Pollution"....I was in Awe from then on.

Me too. That, and the minute long solo at the end of The Uncle Meat Variations. I couldn't stop listening to them.

And the BWS stuff. And Get A Little.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:35 pm 

tweezers wrote:
AF Invocation and Ritual Dance of the Young Pumpkin

Arguably this is more structurally adventurous than Nine Types, but I love that one too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:16 am 

Grunion Run.