Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:21 pm 

So awesome that they finally pulled out some stuff from Drowning Witch. Next tour I'd like to hear that title track, any of the YAWYI suites, Moggio, Marqueson's Chicken, & Sinister Footwear. Mammy Anthem would make a great opener too.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:35 am 

Toronto show

Set 1

So that's what the 74 band sounds like without a competent singer and no percussionist.

Second set was better

The new band members were ok and no real complaints and Sheila is still the best part of the band which probably accounts why she is still there.
Off to Ottawa for the next show.

ps:still do not see why Ben is still 'playing/singing' with them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:24 pm 

October 18
Royal Oak, MI
Royal Oak Music Theater

The Gumbo Variations

Roxy & Elsewhere in its entirety:

Penguin In Bondage
Pygmy Twylyte
Dummy Up
Village Of The Sun
Echidna's Arf (Of You)
Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?
Cheepnis
Son Of Orange County
More Trouble Every Day
Be-Bop Tango (Of the Old Jazzmen's Church)

Florentine Pogen
Teenage Wind
Teenage Prostitute
The Black Page
Flakes
Broken Hearts Are For Assholes
Wonderful Wino
I Come From Nowhere
Cosmik Debris

San Ber'dino
Duke Of Prunes
Muffin Man

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

Last edited by Disco Boy on Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:25 pm 

October 19
Toronto, ON
Queen Elizabeth Theatre

The Gumbo Variations

Penguin In Bondage
Pygmy Twylyte
Dummy Up
Village Of The Sun
Echidna's Arf (Of You)
Cheepnis
Son Of Orange County
More Trouble Every Day

Florentine Pogen
Teenage Wind
Teenage Prostitute
The Black Page
Flakes
Wonderful Wino
I Come From Nowhere
Cosmik Debris

Duke Of Prunes
Muffin Man

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:21 am 

Toronto, Oct. 19, 2013

Coool show.

Really enjoyed it, except for the superfan in front of me who stood up sometimes and did his epeleptic dance, (although the meds kicked in I guess and he mellowed out) and the kids in their twenties next to me who talked for a while, made out, talked somemora (right there on the floora), lots of cheering and standing, then more necking, more talikng, then got told to shut up by the couple behind them, which broiled into mutual "screw you's", then they all mellowed out (meds people!)
No, no meds, just relax, enjoy life (the white zone is for...)

Ok, back to the MUSIC.

Right into Gumbo and how cool is that for a mood-setter. They nailed it.

Then a welcome and talk from Dweezil who seemed really relaxed, and hopefully not burnt out by the tour! Regardless, he is a cool dude. He welcomed up on stage a young guy from the front row (Josh, a ten year old) and they shook hands, everyone cheered. His first ZPZ concert! Then Dweezil says, ok Josh sit back down and we hope you and all enjoy Penguin in Bondage - everyone laughed...and Roxy and Elsewhwere. MANY CHEERS.

Excellent music, really liked Village of the Sun et al.
A brief intermission, then back at it...Florentine Pogen was very cool. Good song choice.
Sheila did a great Teenage Prostitute.
The drummer dude was awesome throughout and did a great Black Page ( a Bozzio fan?)
In Flakes Sheila and Dweezil did a Canadian version with not just Dylan, but also Cartman, and a story with Tim Hortons. The sound kinda failed sometimes through this and hard to understand. Too bad. Anyone have the lyrics to this particular performance?

Wonderful Wino was good but the guest-singer dude? He was awful. The guy selling T-shirts or even myself could do better. He was like a Capt. Beefheart wanna be on bad acid and a cold. This was the only downer of the night's performance.

Cosmik Debris rocked!

Nice to hear the instrumental version of Duke, and great power closer in Muffin Man.

Thanks Dweezil, et al!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:41 am 

Ottawa show was a mirror image of the Toronto show except for more M Jackson spoofing. Same set list and see above for my comments, they still stand.

ps: really why is Ben still there???
pps: at least in prior shows he waved a pretty spiffy towel.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:03 am 

Hi,

I was at the Ottawa show and was more or less blown away. I agree that Roxy sounds weird without a percussionist, but they pulled it off in my opinion. Stand out tune for me was Teenage Wind. Also, Dweezil looked really loose compared to all of the other ZPZ shows that I have seen (5 I think) since 2007. He was much more relaxed than his last show in Ottawa, we all know what happened there....

On the subject of Ben, I felt that he was good, even 'in the ballpark' as they say....and his trombone and trumpet playing was a nice surprise. He has some chops.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:20 am 

richieG wrote:
On the subject of Ben, I felt that he was good, even 'in the ballpark' as they say....and his trombone and trumpet playing was a nice surprise. He has some chops.

I agree with this 100%. Ben is good but not great and probably a very responsible/reliable band member. This is probably part of the reason why he has been around for a couple of years now. Frank always had primo vocalists in his bands and I don't think he would have ever past an FZ band audition though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:49 am 

I was at the Toronto show and I'd give it a 8.2 out of 10.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:40 pm 

October 20
Ottawa, ON
Algonquin College Commons Theatre

The Gumbo Variations

Penguin In Bondage
Pygmy Twylyte
Dummy Up
Village Of The Sun
Echidna's Arf (Of You)
Cheepnis
Son Of Orange County
More Trouble Every Day

Florentine Pogen
Teenage Wind
Teenage Prostitute
The Black Page
Flakes
Wonderful Wino
I Come From Nowhere
Cosmik Debris

Duke Of Prunes
Muffin Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:42 pm 

October 22
Laval, QC
Salle André-Mathieu

The Gumbo Variations

Penguin In Bondage
Pygmy Twylyte
Dummy Up
Village Of The Sun
Echidna's Arf (Of You)
Cheepnis
Son Of Orange County
More Trouble Every Day

Florentine Pogen
Teenage Wind
Teenage Prostitute
The Black Page
Flakes
Wonderful Wino
I Come From Nowhere
Cosmik Debris

San Ber'dino
Duke Of Prunes
Muffin Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:14 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
richieG wrote:

I agree with this 100%. Ben is good but not great and probably a very responsible/reliable band member. This is probably part of the reason why he has been around for a couple of years now. Frank always had primo vocalists in his bands and I don't think he would have ever past an FZ band audition though.

I remember DZ commenting on DZW about how they (ZpZ) were about to give up auditioning for a lead singer when in walked this blonde surfer looking guy who new all the changes in Inca Roads....Ben never looked blonde or a surfer type, fer sure, fer sure, ya know? I'd like to say he's come along way. But I don't see or hear it. I first saw him with DZpZ at the SJ Civic (I sat behind his folks) in '09 and a dozen times since. It is nice to see him play the trombone and trumpet but he plays them as sparsely as Bob Dylan's beard. I wonder if that's a good thing or a "see what else Ben can do too" kinda' thing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:13 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
richieG wrote:

I remember DZ commenting on DZW about how they (ZpZ) were about to give up auditioning for a lead singer when in walked this blonde surfer looking guy who new all the changes in Inca Roads....Ben never looked blonde or a surfer type, fer sure, fer sure, ya know? I'd like to say he's come along way. But I don't see or hear it. I first saw him with DZpZ at the SJ Civic (I sat behind his folks) in '09 and a dozen times since. It is nice to see him play the trombone and trumpet but he plays them as sparsely as Bob Dylan's beard. I wonder if that's a good thing or a "see what else Ben can do too" kinda' thing.

I'm telling you, you have not seen Ben in a while, when I went with PIB to the show in Madison his instrumental role expanded (he and Scheila were really working on Strictly Genteel)...his performance as a front man showed he has growen confortable in the spot light, he also is singing very good, he will never be a black man but he does good...from that show I saw last year I would say yes Frank would hire Ben... :smoke:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:53 pm 

I doubt that Frank would ever have been reduced to hiring someone like Ben. Frank always had more options. It was much more prestigious being in Frank's bands than being in ZPZ. Also, Frank usually hired guys who were good musicians who could also sing. I know Dweezil has Ben tooting on a horn now and then to add a little coloring but he doesn't really qualify. The only vocals only guys that FZ had in the band were Ray Collins and Flo and Eddie.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:12 am 

Not so sure that Frank always had access to the best available talent. Taken from Mike Keneally's accounts of getting into the '88 band:
Quote:
Ray White had just done a disappearing act and there was not yet anyone to fill the lead vocalist chair - Ike made a social appearance on that first day but I don't recall him singing; there was about a week of vocalist auditions before Ike officially joined (thank God - the other guys who auditioned were a shockingly motley lot. I remember being stunned that a person of Frank's position in the industry was giving any of these guys a shot - but then he was doing just that for me, wasn't he?).

Evidently, he didn't hire any of these hacks, but who knows what could've happened.

Lastly, for what it's worth, I was at the Ottawa show and loved the performance overall, I hope they come back soon. As for Ben's singing, it mostly worked for me, and his brass playing was pedestrian but seemed low in the mix so I can't really judge.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:16 am 

WIEH was played last nite!!

Zappa Plays Zappaween
10-31-2013 - NYC - Beacon

The Gumbo Variations

Penguin In Bondage
Pygmy Twylyte
Dummy Up
Village Of The Sun
Echidna's Arf (Of You)
Cheepnis
Son Of Orange County
More Trouble Every Day

Intermission

Florentine Pogen
Teen-Age Wind
Teenage Prostitute
The Black Page #1
The Black Page #2
Flakes
Broken Hearts Are for Assholes
Wonderful Wino
I Come From Nowhere
The Duke of Prunes

Encore:
The Torture Never Stops
Watermelon in Easter Hay - First time played live by Dweezil

Last edited by jaypfunk on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:19 am 

Zappa Plays Zappa
10-30-2013 - NYC - Gramercy

The Gumbo Variations

Penguin In Bondage
Pygmy Twylyte
Dummy Up
Village Of The Sun
Echidna's Arf (Of You)
Cheepnis
Son Of Orange County
More Trouble Every Day

Intermission

Florentine Pogen
Teen-Age Wind
Teenage Prostitute
The Black Page #1
The Black Page #2
Flakes
Wonderful Wino
I Come From Nowhere
Cosmik Debris
Zomby Woof
Muffin Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:30 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
WIEH was played last nite!!

Zappa Plays Zappaween
10-31-2013 - NYC - Beacon

The Gumbo Variations

Penguin In Bondage
Pygmy Twylyte
Dummy Up
Village Of The Sun
Echidna's Arf (Of You)
Cheepnis
Son Of Orange County
More Trouble Every Day

Intermission

Florentine Pogen
Teen-Age Wind
Teenage Prostitute
The Black Page #1
The Black Page #2
Flakes
Wonderful Wino
I Come From Nowhere
The Duke of Prunes

Encore:
The Torture Never Stops
Watermelon in Easter Hay - First time played live by Dweezil

Pretty fucking amazing...especially considering that Watermelon In Easter Hay is of course one of the 3 sacred songs that are only allowed to be played by ZFT (Zoot Allures & Black Napkins being the other two)... :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:08 pm 

Dweezil played Black Napkins at Slims in San Francisco in 2002 when he played with Lisa Loeb, he has said he is was not ready to play WIEH s1everal times since ZPZ was formed(I guess enough time has passed). Ike played WIEH in Chico a few months ago with BM and RW.

What the deal with Zoot Allures?

:smoke:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:28 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
Watermelon In Easter Hay is of course one of the 3 sacred songs that are only allowed to be played by ZFT

For the sake of keeping what is sacred and what is imitation separate, DZ should call his version Watermelon In Easter Compost.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:36 am 

Such a rousing endorsement for Ben..I guess I was wrong. Now if they had played Watermelon that one song would have wratched up a ho-hum show(s) to a whole new level, even with what I consider to be a grade B band at best.
Lets consider 'if' they were not performing music we don't get to hear anymore live would you pay $100 +/- to hear them play...I sure wouldn't.

drummer and keyboard player were adequate, bass player was very good and will get better with time, Sheila is a treat, DZ is a monster geetar player....and that is all.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:54 am 

Plook wrote:

ZPZ played ZA in Melbourne in 2007.

Zappa music and much, much MOO-AH!
www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:00 pm 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:
Plook wrote:

ZPZ played ZA in Melbourne in 2007.

So the sacred song thing is not so much...his reason for not playing WIEH (words from his mouth after a show in 2008) was he was not emotionally ready, with his ability to reproduce his dad's work I don't think skill was an issue... :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:56 am 

I don't particularly want to hear those songs played by Dweezil, or anyone else.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:19 pm 

November 2
Boston, MA
House Of Blues

The Gumbo Variations

Penguin In Bondage
Pygmy Twylyte
Dummy Up
Village Of The Sun
Echidna's Arf (Of You)
Cheepnis
Son Of Orange County
More Trouble Every Day

Florentine Pogen
Teenage Wind
Teenage Prostitute
The Black Page
Flakes
Wonderful Wino
I Come From Nowhere

The Torture Never Stops
Cosmik Debris

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next