Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:23 am 

ImageImage
This past month, Experience Hendrix released a very high quality recording of The Jimi Hendrix Experience's stunning performance at the May 1968 Miami Pop Festival, where the Experience shared the bill with The Mothers of Invention (as well as Chuck Berry, Blue Cheer and Arthur Brown).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PVjcIO4MT4
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/episodes/jimi-hendrix/film-outtake-miami-pop-festival/2752/

The performance is fantastic, and it's a great album (Experience Hendrix even capitalized on the concert's release by making the Miami Pop Festival the centerpiece of their new Hendrix biography Hear My Train A Comin'), but what I couldn't get over was the desire to hear The Mothers' performance at Miami Pop. We've got the segment that was used for "King Kong (live on a flat bed diesel in the middle of a race track at a Miami Pop Festival . . . the Underwood ramifications)" but what about the rest of the concert? Does anyone know if there's a tape, sitting in the vault, waiting for the right time? Or has a recording been deemed unfit for release? Or was The Mothers' performance even recorded in full?

Either way, it's certainly high on my personal wishlist after experiencing Hendrix's festival performance. :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:23 am 

On the DVD of "Hear My Train A Comin'" there is bonus film footage of Hendrix at the Miami Pop Festival. In the intro to the bonus footage they show a short clip of FZ and the Mothers. There's no sound (just a close up of Frank and Motorhead singing), but it seems it pretty clear that the whole festival was filmed with the same equipment used for the Hendrix footage. It's very decent quality.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:30 am 

Oops wrong forum. Reposting in film and tv.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:50 pm 

Whaaa! I've been "out" for some time,....BUT I was waiting for someone to post about this!

Yes, I'd love to hear this too!! BUT, and I do mean a big "but",.....have you seen that in the Hendrix booklet for this release,tempting me even farther.....,are two pix features MOTHERS of INVENTION members watching Hendrix ?? One photo is of Hendrix walking/talking to Don Preston ,....and another has a hazy visage of Motherhead Sherwood seated up on the scaffolding behind Jimi as he plays(this one is a bit fuzzed-out....but I swear it Motorhead!). I tried to get in touch with Don Preston (on his web-site....that sadly is no-more) just to let him know he's in a Hendrix photo(maybe the grand-kids would be impressed??). But to no avail....."ugh"...

So, Gail,....now where is the full Mothers play Miami POP??!! We need it NOW,....please......

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:47 am 

no aud recording either was just checking zappateers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:42 pm 

Whats the go with miami vice? I never watched it ever. I might do just this once...
TT