Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 419 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:27 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
tweezers wrote:
I really like both the intro to Duprees and that track itself on this much better than YCDTOSA 2. This may be blasphemous on this forum, but I always thought Duprees from #2 was too long. This one just cooks and seems too short by comparison.

The Po-Jama People recitation is funny too. :)

YCDTOSA 2 is nothing compared to this band. The 1974 version of the band played everything too fast.

+1!

"Dupree's" is indeed a bit boring on YCDTOSA 2. The percussive bit sounds a bit aimless, like does it want to be a jazz-fusion drum solo or improvised Varese kind of shit, plus you keep on expecting the guitar solo coming in, but it never arrives. Before that, there's the kind of George Duke solo that doesn't showcase him at his best: just perfunctory fusion noodling. So I can see why this has been described as the weakest of the '74 Dupree's.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:28 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
tweezers wrote:
I really like both the intro to Duprees and that track itself on this much better than YCDTOSA 2. This may be blasphemous on this forum, but I always thought Duprees from #2 was too long. This one just cooks and seems too short by comparison.

The Po-Jama People recitation is funny too. :)

YCDTOSA 2 is nothing compared to this band. The 1974 version of the band played everything too fast.

Yeah I agree...some of it just seemed to sail on through!

I'm really beginning to appreciate these early-mid 70's bands! I was always a LATE 70's fan, but this stuff is wild!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:33 am 

Speaking of too fast, kind of weird how "Echidna's Arf" was cut down and sped-up to just the ending theme both on George Duke's solo album "The Aura Will Prevail" (I think) as well as the Bongo Fury tour. I kind of liked the slower versions of the 1973 tour that still had room for instruments other than keyboards-bass-drums, as struggling as Bruce Fowler was with parts like the wicked ones at the end of it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:37 am 

I enjoy the fast 1974 versions. Ruth is amazing, while in the summer 73 band she is more in the background. That said, it's great to hear the more complex orchestrations of 73 in detail on this new CD.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:38 am 

FULL ALBUM NIGGAS

Gave it one listen and ORDERED IT STRAIGHT-A-FUCKING WAY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN1h2w7gqvY

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:07 am 

Nice to see the passion many fans are having with this one. Let's be mindful that this can be viewed as a prequel, to the Roxy By Proxy prequel to the movie so to speak.

Long ago I had spoken of a Euro show from this 73' tour being the front bookend, between this time-frame Euro 73' and KCETV. It's all playing itself out rather nicely. I for one think the Roxy By Proxy delays enable this to get a good listen. The time-frame from Helsinki 73' to KCETV is a most unique example of given material developing. It all fits together rather nicely. Good Will to Frank's music.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:21 am 

STFU, NOSTRADUMBASS!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:14 am 

NuclearProstate wrote:
FULL ALBUM NIGGAS

uhhhhhhh?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:29 am 

The bootlegging is ridiculous. This thing has been streaming in several places. Simply put, that's fucked up.

In looking at the releases from Road Tapes 2 to A Token of His Extreme, this is a long awaited vision turned to reality...Yes those long ago times, where some fans had the audacity to complain and revel in rehash agendas, in some ways with these releases, some have moved away from that complaint, but in other ways, some continue to dwell inside some mom's HPV infected box.

In regards to Frank Zappa's Official Catalog. Not limited to, and but also, including the scope of this specific touring period between Fall 73' and KCETV, I think we'll get more. While the Road Tapes Series became a CD based project, it is clear that Road Tapes 2 is a bookend from this point to KCETV. I'll choose the path of Good Will.

Trendmonger wrote:
The Idiot Bastard wrote:
...and shouldn't illegal downloading post-release be a bigger concern? While I buy all of the official releases, there are clearly some who either can't afford to or who would prefer to buy Official Digital Downloads.

08 Nov 2011 14:26 Re: 40th Anniv. Carnegie Hall (4 CD set)

As I have been stating I think we will see more options in the form of Zappa Official Digital Download. I just don't think immediate offerings of the Cd media projects will be that. It makes no sense.

Some projects deserve a release in CD media and others are more geared for ZODD. I have suggested a show that conceptually creates a linear path to Roxy Soundtrack & DVD. Something from the previous tours with JLP in the band. I really can envision that being a ZODD.

In looking at the CDs released that many moons later got a ZODD release, I would hope all the so called fans that can not afford are not involved in illegal sharing of such. I have to question how many can afford monthly high speed internet, cell phones and so many other forms of entertainment. I have a tight budget, for myself I create a budget prioritization. If there is one thing I learned in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, new millennium and now. I live my life honestly, I prioritize and buy what is important to me.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:01 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
STFU, NOSTRADUMBASS!!

Yes, yes, yes,

now go away!

Notabene: JPF where do you come up with these?? Nostradumass...Ha!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:46 pm 

Such an amazing album. Dog/Meat is the personal highlight for me. Ponty forever!

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:01 pm 

Now let's hope the next Road Tapes is '75 w/Beefheart. I was away and missed their performance at the Trenton Civic Center (which burned down the next year) and everyone I taked to about it raved. I always liked BF and have a show from Texas where JCB sang. It would be a nice tribute to Jimmy if the ZFT put out some of those complete (or nearly complete shows)...but I can wsait and just keep listening to this RT2 thing...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:21 pm 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
STFU, NOSTRADUMBASS!!

Yes, yes, yes,

now go away!

Notabene: JPF where do you come up with these?? Nostradumass...Ha!

Straight answer about jp's "fertile" mind: He has a few dozen oneliners on shuffle and serves them out randomly. "Nostradumbass" I've seen ten times or more, even adressed at myself. Not a great feat of imagination, I'm sure.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:53 pm 

tweezers wrote:
Now let's hope the next Road Tapes is '75 w/Beefheart. I was away and missed their performance at the Trenton Civic Center (which burned down the next year) and everyone I taked to about it raved. I always liked BF and have a show from Texas where JCB sang. It would be a nice tribute to Jimmy if the ZFT put out some of those complete (or nearly complete shows)...but I can wsait and just keep listening to this RT2 thing...

Fucking yes. I love BF and I heard some other shows from the same time. All good stuff. Always forget about that tour. We need more of that for RT#3.

Good shout.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:12 pm 

Spring 75 would be great. Err...keep the tribute to JCB stuff quiet as there are many other uncirculated shows from that tour without him that could be as good or better.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:44 am 

If we do simple math the average is 5 years a part so it could be 1978 :idea:

My problem with music since 2006 is i sold my CD player in 2006 and now listen with my PC.
I multitasking different activities, so i am less focused on music. But this RT2 i'll try to laid on my bed eyes closed and concentrate on this one and probably most of the last 18 releases :?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:12 am 

ZutboF wrote:

Also both were shows in August. #1 being the 25th and #2 being the 23rd and 24th. Coincidence?

Probably.

Is there an August 22 1978 show that's not in circulation? There's a show in Germany on the 26th.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:38 am 

ZutboF wrote:

My problem with music since 2006 is i sold my CD player in 2006 and now listen with my PC.
I multitasking different activities, so i am less focused on music. But this RT2 i'll try to laid on my bed eyes closed and concentrate on this one and probably most of the last 18 releases :?

I equate your so called problem as a thick social weed that keeps growing. Lots of folks lack the time management and equipment to listen to CDs in Hi-Fidelity. That's not to say that a portion of folks do not have some decent equipment, where they appreciate digesting Hi-Fidelity with open eyes and ears. The masses are getting into lossy ear bud and computer listening environments. For many music has become a wallpaper background thing. Still one can hook up a computer to a nice DAC and get hi-fidelity. Good Hi-Fidelity DACs often cost $1,000 USD or more. There are some excellent Hi-Fidelity DACs for under $300.

I feel fortunate that I can dedicate some time and resources to hi-fidelity. The costs for a good CD player with an excellent built-in Digital to Analogue converter has come down, but if need be the CD player in your PC can be a CD player digital transport. You can put a nice DAC between your computer and sound system of choice, but then again there are folks that only listen with a PCs or laptops internal speaker, or ear buds directly attached to the PCs inferior analogue audio output.

To break that down a little, be it if your sound system of choice is anywhere between desktop powered speakers or a thousand watt plus large loud room systems, a DAC will offer extreme fidelity improvements. While some Hi-Fi CD players have very solid transports and excellent DACs built in them, I would suggest a separate component DAC that can handle several digital input sources. These DACs perform Digital pre-amp functionality with HD Resolition with amazing Digital to Analogue Conversion. Weather listening to CDs, Lossless HD Audio or Lossy formats such as MP3s, having a good DAC makes a world of difference in Audio Fidelity with listening in any given format.

The Emotiva XDA-2 is an amazing Digital Pre-Amp DAC, currently $299.
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/pro ... ducts/xda2

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Last edited by Trendmonger on Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:53 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:43 am 

A sample of just 2 shows is not large enough to project what the next era might be. I have my hopes (PW 72/CB 75/another 74/a post Ponty 73/a Hot Rats era show/the "Hit it Zubin" show)...I will just wait to be surprised.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:11 am 

Bobby wrote:
A sample of just 2 shows is not large enough to project what the next era might be. I have my hopes (PW 72/CB 75/another 74/a post Ponty 73/a Hot Rats era show/the "Hit it Zubin" show)...I will just wait to be surprised.

I would tend to agree with that. Pointedly the Road Tapes Series is one that some fans are really getting into. There are so many facors that go into the production side of the next project and what series it belongs to.

In regards to Road Tapes. It certainly fits in well with want of the fanatical desire. There was a portion of the fanbase with overt complaints about ZFT project releases that Frank had in the can, and but also, the amazing splendour of the Corsaga. It was clear that there was an interest for complete shows. Let us be mindful that the source fidelity of a Road Tape may not always be up to the standard of pristine source tapes, build reel or FZ project in-the-can. The source tape is something that is frequently overlooked. Even though a given Road Tape may be a guerilla source some fans are clearly enjoying the unique aspects of the Road tape series. When it comes to Full Shows, let it be known that a Full Show does not have to be a Road Tape. There certainly should be a number of Full Shows that merit top shelf vintage. Who knows, maybe Zappa's USA Tour in April and May of 75' has a top showcase red wine in there, one that deserves the deluxe treatment .

I think by now folks should understand that the vault contains so much stuff, but what's in the box may not always be a pristine recording. So many shows wound up being chopped up, where portions were used to make build reels. Then there are moments in shows where there was a tape change and the band played on. There are so many variables.One thing for sure, lots of folks seemed thrilled with this series.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:19 am 

There's nothing like a personality that is constructed like an accordion.

Now how is Trendy's personality constructed like, I wonder?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:36 am 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
There's nothing like a personality that is constructed like an accordion.

Now how is Trendy's personality constructed like, I wonder?

I think he sounds like a retarded Prophet... A malfunctioning symthesizer?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:45 am 

A come on guys, he is trying his best to make a point ;)

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:07 am 

I have meet Trendy in person and he seems to be a nice guy and harmless BUT I must say there is definitely a Rain Man thing going on there.

Last edited by jaypfunk on Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:11 am 

Yeahhhhhh yeahhhhhh yeahhhhhhh Charlie Babbit made a joke. Yeahhhhhhhhhh. I'm an excellent driver. Yeahhhhhhhh, Dad lets me drive slow on the driveway every Saturday. Yeahhhhhhh

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 419 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next