Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 419 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:21 am 

I actually still try to read what he writes, but the moment he adds "and but also" I immediately stop because it sounds so obnoxiously pompous. Even if I agreed with every word he says (which I cannot imagine ever happening) his incessant desire to shove this image of himself down your throat is inexcusable. Presentation is key jackass.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:45 am 

I'd take a dozen shows with sound quality equal to Joe's Menage any day of the week for any Road Tapes release. Something can be said about different sounding shows - some have unique sounding snares - or odd sounding mixes... I guess years of wildly different shows from audience sources gives me the excitement.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:29 am 

duchamp wrote:
I actually still try to read what he writes, but the moment he adds "and but also" I immediately stop because it sounds so obnoxiously pompous. Even if I agreed with every word he says (which I cannot imagine ever happening) his incessant desire to shove this image of himself down your throat is inexcusable. Presentation is key jackass.

That's about what I do.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:54 am 

Phlakaton wrote:
I'd take a dozen shows with sound quality equal to Joe's Menage any day of the week for any Road Tapes release. Something can be said about different sounding shows - some have unique sounding snares - or odd sounding mixes... I guess years of wildly different shows from audience sources gives me the excitement.

Funny that you should bring up Frank Zappa Joe's Menage. As you may very well be aware, FZ produced a cassette tape for a fan. A selection of songs from Frank Zappa's concert at the College of William and Mary in Novemeber in 1975. Honestly I don't know the full show setlist that evening but, I tend to think the concept of that edition of the Corsaga, is just more what it is, than thinking of some red wine Full show, with Jimmy Buffet as the opening band included in a larger scaled project. Certainly the context of my commentary here shows there are projects such as FZ & The Mothers Of Invention Carnegie Hall are slated for deluxe treatment.

As a fan I look at the diversity of projects that the ZFT are putting out. Some certainly have been in-the-can projects that FZ had completed, some have been projects based on build-reels FZ completed, some are 40tieth anniversary audio documentaries, the Anything Anytime Anywhere For No Reason At All series is a way of celebrating FZs birthday, in those bundles we get to hear a wide variety of artists performing Frank Zappa's music or their own work, as we can see works by Warren Cuccurullo & Captain Beefheart are two examples of other artists that the ZFT are getting out there, I think we can expect to see several more artists released on a Zappa family label. A Joe Travers record can not come fast enough.

There is lots of new material to look forward to. Road Tapes certainly gets unique shows that traders little AUD fingers do not have their hands on. It's a shame it's bootlegged faster than fans are ordering the CDs. For those of us who invest in Road Tapes, it's another fine example of spreading Good Will towards the diversity of the worlds finest optional entertainment.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:30 am 

I listened to it on the tubes and realized how fucking sweet that thing was and ordered it straight away. More people would risk buying the over priced products from ZFT if they knew what was on them and had a little preview.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:34 am 

NuclearProstate wrote:
More people would risk buying the over priced products from ZFT if they knew what was on them and had a little preview.

plus... where/what is a "risk" when it comes to Frank Zappa's music? fans are going to buy things no matter what.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:45 am 

It should be emphasised that hardcore fans, esp. the ones that are set on owning every single release (and some in multiple formats) are going to buy it all. For some others, who maintain that FZ had his golden eras and then his nadirs, it's an entirely different matter. Have I understood NP's position correctly? I for one have not wasted a single cent on '84 band and I never intend to. However, I have ordered RTV2 (which is still to come) and I do feel it has been money spent well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:00 pm 

Phlakaton wrote:

I vote yes on this; listening to all arrays of concert tapes over the years, I would take anything they dish out that has been professionally cleaned up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:12 pm 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
It should be emphasised that hardcore fans, esp. the ones that are set on owning every single release (and some in multiple formats) are going to buy it all. For some others, who maintain that FZ had his golden eras and then his nadirs, it's an entirely different matter. Have I understood NP's position correctly? I for one have not wasted a single cent on '84 band and I never intend to. However, I have ordered RTV2 (which is still to come) and I do feel it has been money spent well.

Basically yes. If ZFT released an album by Zappa and gave no warning to its content, you buy it and it is just the stuff that didn't make it onto Francesco I would suggest some people wouldn't be too happy. I am not interested in that so I wouldn't buy it. Meaning I wouldn't buy an album I have no clue about. This is why previews and track listings are important. Not just an 'amusing' little write up.

Imagine if they released a live gig, no preview, no fuckin' song info and it turned out to be the 84 band playing Tiny Lites and He's So Gay yet again and again. You wouldn't be happy.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:51 pm 

NuclearProstate wrote:
Imagine if they released a live gig, no preview, no fuckin' song info and it turned out to be the 84 band playing Tiny Lites and He's So Gay yet again and again. You wouldn't be happy.

For all of their releases there has been info beforehand about what band is involved.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:08 am 

Trendy my sound system play very well even its riped into my pc. Before seling my Simaudio Moon Equinox CD player that worth 2.5k i did some tests between it and the pc, the difference do not worth 2.5k$. What left of my system still worth $7k the pc is hooked to the system by a $400 cable and the speakers with 1k cables. I tried to understand what is a DAC i still dont know, anyway i sold all my cds 3 years a go. I bought so far only Hot rats in the new 2012 remastered.

Edit: What is a thick social weed i don't smoke sorry :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:35 am 

pbuzby wrote:
NuclearProstate wrote:

For all of their releases there has been info beforehand about what band is involved.

100% accurate. these guys just keep making up shit so they can keep complaining about something. shut up already.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:41 am 

It's no use pretending that some of the live release decisions won't naturally alienate anyone and the only ones complaining are merely manipulative bastards. I clearly remember how the "Australian Yellow Snow" edit on "One Shot Deal" seemed like a slap in the face for a few forum members.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:51 am 

I clearly remember how the "Australian Yellow Snow" edit on "One Shot Deal" seemed like a slap in the face for a few forum members.

why?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:23 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
I clearly remember how the "Australian Yellow Snow" edit on "One Shot Deal" seemed like a slap in the face for a few forum members.

why?

Yeah why? That's a must have!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:32 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

why?

Yeah why? That's a must have!

i'm thinking because it was only one song when we could have got the entire show.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:38 am 

Why? The musical sections of the '73 YS suite known as "Rollo Interior", "Father O'Blivion" and "St Alfonzo's" hyper-fast rendition were rather conspicuous in their absence. Some didn't like this edit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:47 pm 

It was FZ's choice, so interesting from that perspective. By now I bet everyone knows how to find the unedited version.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:51 pm 

Helsinki '73: wonderful* solos on Dupree's Paradise.

*magnificent, amazing, excellent, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:50 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
100% accurate. these guys just keep making up shit so they can keep complaining about something. shut up already.

I think it might have something to do with retardation as well.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:13 pm 

Truly each and everyone of those players were MOTHERS (as in FZ's original intent of the name....Mother Fuckers!)

A shame these recordings have been hiding for 40 years....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:37 pm 

But we got it now

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:53 pm 

"Get it while it's hot," - FZ, March 1986
And boy is RTV2 hot :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:17 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
pbuzby wrote:
NuclearProstate wrote:

Well, maybe 99%: I don't recall any info re. Finer Moments, and there was some debate about whether Ian Underwood was on RTV2. Most pre-release info does seem to be fan gleaned. But I have no complaints. Keep 'em coming.

Zappa music and much, much MOO-AH!
www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:27 pm 

As I recall One Shot Deal had the least preliminary info but even on that there were some hints (and, of course, people who don't like surprises can just not preorder).

The Ian/RTV2 issue came about because of a contemporary article saying he wasn't there, but some wise person (Charles Ulrich, I think) eventually determined that the article referred to the soundcheck, not the show(s).

(Looking back it seems Ed Organus Maximus noticed that and Charles reported it at Zappateers.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 419 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next