Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: ZFT vs Original MOI
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:35 pm 

I find it interesting, that as much as the ZFT covets their ownership (as they should do, it is their legacy and their right), that they get all upset that other folks should cover/sample FZ's compositions. FZ was absolutely notorious at sampling - or vamping in 60's terms - other folks music. AF is full of lifted riffs and music, which I recall got him a bit of legal trouble with the Estate of Holst. The estate of the fellow that wrote the original Louie Louie didn't have the clout to do anything, but he could have. Tinseltown Rebellion is nothing BUT samples/lifts of other folk's music, but where is the outcry over that? Take those other folks biz, OK, just don't take mine, is ZFT position.
Remember the crap over the cover of WOIIFT? A satirical take over the Beatles's original idea. Because of that, we have had JCB staring at us from a dress for decades - kinda creepy, I know.

Lightem up potato heads.

Weirdo question - If I have a band that covers Tinseltown Rebellion, can the ZFT come after me? That would mean they own the rights to all the cover vamps included in the song..or just the bits without the covers? An far less interesting version would be left after the cover vamps were gone.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:42 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
The law clearly allows for tribute bands to play covers and not have to cough up any cash.

As long as the venue pays the required ASCAP or BMI fees, that is...

johnnycat wrote:
I find it interesting, that as much as the ZFT covets their ownership (as they should do, it is their legacy and their right), that they get all upset that other folks should cover/sample FZ's compositions. FZ was absolutely notorious at sampling - or vamping in 60's terms - other folks music. AF is full of lifted riffs and music, which I recall got him a bit of legal trouble with the Estate of Holst. The estate of the fellow that wrote the original Louie Louie didn't have the clout to do anything, but he could have. Tinseltown Rebellion is nothing BUT samples/lifts of other folk's music, but where is the outcry over that? Take those other folks biz, OK, just don't take mine, is ZFT position.
Remember the crap over the cover of WOIIFT? A satirical take over the Beatles's original idea. Because of that, we have had JCB staring at us from a dress for decades - kinda creepy, I know.

Lightem up potato heads.

Weirdo question - If I have a band that covers Tinseltown Rebellion, can the ZFT come after me? That would mean they own the rights to all the cover vamps included in the song..or just the bits without the covers? An far less interesting version would be left after the cover vamps were gone.

Wtf are you talking about?! FZ was a notorious sampler?! Tinsel Town Rebellion is nothing BUT samples/lifts of other folk's music?!

Put the crack pipe down, Rob Ford...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:28 am 

He possibly refers to TTR the song, which does in fact include reams of quotations from music not written by FZ, esp. in its '84 incarnation.

Moreover, how come ZFT can release a Road Tapes album that features an avant-rock rendition of Varese's "Octandre" (or rather, the first ten bars of it), yet they are so hell-bent on going after cover bands not named ZPZ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:15 am 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
Moreover, how come ZFT can release a Road Tapes album that features an avant-rock rendition of Varese's "Octandre" (or rather, the first ten bars of it), yet they are so hell-bent on going after cover bands not named ZPZ?

you're really reaching with this one. FZ was not trying to make a living out of playing 30 seconds of a Varese composition.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:20 am 

Not to be picky, but isn't Octandre almost 8 minutes long on RT?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:06 am 

Right, I meant the song, not the whole release-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:22 am 

duchamp wrote:

I'd be surprised if the Varese Family Trust found anything wrong with FRANK ZAPPA playing Octandre or any other piece, as the "Publicity" factor would be squarely in their favor. How many of us knew who Varese was until FZ pointed him out?

However, how many of the new young hip people got into FZ because André chommesldkeefsky pointed him out to them?

Maybe Gail is really really worried that if she let's anything go "Public Domaine", she might someday hear Baby Snakes MuZAK'ed in a walmart. And no composer of FZ' stature deserves that no matter what!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:14 am 

jaypfunk wrote:

you're really reaching with this one. FZ was not trying to make a living out of playing 30 seconds of a Varese composition.

I find Ed Palermo's rebuttal to Gail's claim (that Palermo was trying to make a living this way) quite spot-on:

Quote:
MAKING A LIVING?!! It was at that point I realized there was nothing I could ever do to win her over. Like I said before, I understand, and even admire, her loyalty to her husband, but it is just plain delusional to think anyone could make a dime playing "Dog Breath Variations" with an 18 piece big band. So, it was at that point that I stopped caring whether the Zappas accept me or not. I still wish them the best, because they're Frank's loved ones, but there is only so much I can do.

I think when he says "make a dime" he clearly refers to earning enough money that it could be sustained as a full time career, rather than just a labour of love.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:16 am 

Frank got deep inside so many groupies that now he is dead Gail just wants him all for herself.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:35 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
duchamp wrote:

However, how many of the new young hip people got into FZ because André chommesldkeefsky pointed him out to them?

I would think quite a few. Has to do with venues played. Big, expensive sit down theater shows = OLD people. Clubs = young people (and many girls). This has been my first-hand observation, at least. Tho' I haven't been to a ZPZ show since Ray White was in the band. Maybe things have changed.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:28 pm 

brainpang wrote:
I haven't been to a ZPZ show since Ray White was in the band.

:shock: That's going on 5 years! I hope you've heard someone play live Zappa since then! :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:06 pm 

NuclearProstate wrote:
Frank got deep inside so many groupies that now he is dead Gail just wants him all for herself.

Dude... just kill yourself.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:32 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
NuclearProstate wrote:

I don't agree with Nukeass' sentiment here, but aren't you projecting yourself into this a little to far? It's Sat. night at 9:06pm (according to post time) and your home, or you've got the time to post here. You're getting on in age, eh? And maybe even lonely, aren't you JP?
NOMBiz but WTF? :mrgreen:
To be fair, it's 8:30pm out here in CA., so it should read (if your in EST) 11:30 on your posts. It just shocked me at first man! The Zappa's forum's post clock is way off. :wink:

Ya I know, STFU!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:43 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
NuclearProstate wrote:

You first jaypfunk, then the rest of us will hop on Hale-Bopp with you, but Howard Kaylan basically said the same thing about Gail in his book.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:49 am 

I was joking obviously. But seeing JPF is in fact an angry version of Trendmonger who gets upset over any criticism of ZFT I wouldn't expect any less.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:29 am 

He's been an attention whore ever since I first got here in 2002. He's basically looking for something extremely hostile to say at each post he sees, particularly with new users. Put him on ignore and never listen to him again. If we all do that, problem solved.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:21 am 

nah, jayp is much needed in zappa world. way too many nerds who think they are smarter than everyone else definitely need a good beat down now and then. direct and to the point, not to say he is perfect, there is collateral damage (bbp) but he makes me laugh, he's consistent...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:31 am 

I find everything he says funny. So I wouldn't ever block him. I don't ignore people I like to read everything people say including Gary.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:33 am 

Mr. Tuscadero is halfway a buffoon and halfway a walking anger management issue. My advice: never take him seriously. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:35 am 

Exactly and from time to time he brings up some interesting points.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:05 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
I'd be surprised if the Varese Family Trust found anything wrong with FRANK ZAPPA playing Octandre or any other piece, as the "Publicity" factor would be squarely in their favor. How many of us knew who Varese was until FZ pointed him out?

I remember that Rage & Fury was not approved by the Varese Trust (in the name of composer Friedrich Cerha), so until now it is not published.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:37 am 

LaBizzara wrote:
The_Acadian_2 wrote:

I remember that Rage & Fury was not approved by the Varese Trust (in the name of composer Friedrich Cerha), so until now it is not published.

Source? Never heard that one before, which I find hard to believe.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:36 am 

jaypfunk wrote:

I find Ed Palermo's rebuttal to Gail's claim (that Palermo was trying to make a living this way) quite spot-on:

Quote:
MAKING A LIVING?!! It was at that point I realized there was nothing I could ever do to win her over. Like I said before, I understand, and even admire, her loyalty to her husband, but it is just plain delusional to think anyone could make a dime playing "Dog Breath Variations" with an 18 piece big band. So, it was at that point that I stopped caring whether the Zappas accept me or not. I still wish them the best, because they're Frank's loved ones, but there is only so much I can do.

I think when he says "make a dime" he clearly refers to earning enough money that it could be sustained as a full time career, rather than just a labour of love.

ED said it all in that quote, and we all know that without DZ ZPZ would not make a dime, and without the music of Frank his son would go un noticed for the most part. For any one that loves big band music check out Ed Palermo.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:52 am 

If you watch Key and Peele --- JPF is my anger translator. He usually says what my angry side thinks about most things. haha. So I am satisfied by a lot of his comments.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:09 am 

BBP wrote:
He's been an attention whore ever since I first got here in 2002. He's basically looking for something extremely hostile to say at each post he sees, particularly with new users. Put him on ignore and never listen to him again. If we all do that, problem solved.

You love me and you know it. Now shut the fuck up and get back in the kitchen!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next