Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: ZFT vs Original MOI
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:24 am 

brainpang wrote:
LaBizzara wrote:
The_Acadian_2 wrote:
I'd be surprised if the Varese Family Trust found anything wrong with FRANK ZAPPA playing Octandre or any other piece, as the "Publicity" factor would be squarely in their favor. How many of us knew who Varese was until FZ pointed him out?

I remember that Rage & Fury was not approved by the Varese Trust (in the name of composer Friedrich Cerha), so until now it is not published.

Source? Never heard that one before, which I find hard to believe.

Sorry but was quite long time ago, about Cerha being the Varese's waultmeister i read in some music magazine, he also completed unfinished works. About the rage & fury i read on Zappa page (or in a Gail interview) at the time they put the samples.Before writing my post i try to find some clues or the original sources but without success.
However MJNH have two version because of it, some Bartok trust don't apreciates Zappa rendition of the work.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:51 am 

Huh, messed up the quotes. In response to the Ed Palermo/Gail thing::::::::::::::::::

Ed's new one is due out in January, 2014. A double disc: one of Ed's own stuff, the other FZ.
It is worth remembering that Gail authorizes these releases. Maybe not endorses, but definitely okays them. Maybe so because they could do it without her approval anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:38 am 

LaBizzara wrote:
The_Acadian_2 wrote:
I'd be surprised if the Varese Family Trust found anything wrong with FRANK ZAPPA playing Octandre or any other piece, as the "Publicity" factor would be squarely in their favor. How many of us knew who Varese was until FZ pointed him out?

I remember that Rage & Fury was not approved by the Varese Trust (in the name of composer Friedrich Cerha), so until now it is not published.

Spence Chrislu, December 17, 1998 (on The Rage & The Fury)

"FZ thought it was the best version he'd ever heard.

The reason for it's delay in release is that it's caught up in legal battles (not with the Varese family or anyone directly associated with Varese)."

Gail Zappa, zappa.com, December 2, 2010 (at the Roundhouse)

"All I can say for sure is that I do want to release it with video documentation and sometime near the end of the year—any year."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:31 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
LaBizzara wrote:
The_Acadian_2 wrote:

Spence Chrislu, December 17, 1998 (on The Rage & The Fury)

"FZ thought it was the best version he'd ever heard.

The reason for it's delay in release is that it's caught up in legal battles (not with the Varese family or anyone directly associated with Varese)."

Gail Zappa, zappa.com, December 2, 2010 (at the Roundhouse)

"All I can say for sure is that I do want to release it with video documentation and sometime near the end of the year—any year."

I've heard it in full and didn't find anything remarkable about it compared to other recordings....a large batch of Varese music was issued after Franks' recording that pretty much covers it all. So, I think the dvd is important if the audio ever sees release.
And no, I don't have a copy. It was at an insiders house.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5