Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Joe's Next ____age?
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:21 pm 

Joe's (Iron) Sausage.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:18 pm 

Joe's Pilgrimage

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:12 am 

Joe's Crabsitch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:20 am 

Shrewnews wrote:
Joe's Espionage (The Man from UNCLE Bernie's Farm)

Joe's Espionage (The NSA Tapes)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:42 am 

Joe's Dressage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:16 pm 

Joe's discharge Mixage

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:19 pm 

Zappa Time wrote:
Joe's Camouflage

Looks like we have a winner!

Apparently two tracks from this played on Zappa Radio earlier (Any Downers? and Phyniox [Take 1]).

Zappa music and much, much MOO-AH!
www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:28 pm 

A few of us on Zappateers have heard "Any Downers." It sounds like a rehearsal from an early fall 75 lineup, with someone other than Andre Lewis on keyboards and an unidentified vocalist (possibly Robert "Frog" Camarena), and with Roy Estrada and Terry Bozzio.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:53 pm 

The Novi Novog line-up, Pat?

www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:59 pm 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:
The Novi Novog line-up, Pat?

It isn't clear from this track if she, Napoleon or Denny Walley was there (out of the people in the circulating photo). Hoping to hear the other one soon.

There are one or two keyboardists, playing a Rhodes and a string synth. Not sure who this was.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:20 pm 

The other piece "Phyniox" does sound like Walley is playing on it, and again two keyboards. No sign of Novi Novog's viola. Very nice jazz-rock piece, not familiar from any album.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:54 am 

After some further discussion it seems likely the two keyboardists are...Novi and Napoleon. (Apparently Napoleon was to play keyboards in this band before Andre Lewis joined.) Presumably other tracks on this disc will feature viola and sax.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:57 am 

(where can those track be listened?... Zappa radio goes randomly, I guess.)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:18 am 

(so... it' not possible to listen to those tracks?)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:30 am 

I heard Phyniox [Take 1] on Zappa Radio (http://www.live365.com/index.live#stations/zappa_radio) last night. You just gotta be patient!

www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:36 am 

The mystery question this Thanksgiving holiday season is Are You Listening?

For folks tuning into Zappa Radio, the Joe's Camouflage preview starts after a short station announcement following the Zoot Allures version of Wonderful Wino.

Here are the playlist descriptions for the two previews.

“Any Downers?”
6:11
By: Frank Zappa
On: Joe's Camouflage

“Phyniox [Take 1]”
2:29
By: Frank Zappa
On: Joe's Camouflage

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Last edited by Trendmonger on Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:39 am 

Yes, both tracks were played about 20 minutes ago. But last night, Phyniox [Take 1] was played independently of Any Downers?.

Whatever. Looking forward to this one too!

www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:45 am 

They're in a rotation.

BTW the other day on that station I heard "Suicide Chump" followed by "Hot Plate Heaven." "And all you can say as you run down the street is...WOWWWWW!"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:53 am 

At this time I've only given a brief preview but I sense the possibility of the the soulful sounds of Don Brewer in the left channel lead vocals for Any Downers?

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:50 am 

Don't think so. This sounds like it predates the fall 75 tour and Brewer was still with Grand Funk then.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:20 am 

pbuzby wrote:
Don't think so. This sounds like it predates the fall 75 tour and Brewer was still with Grand Funk then.

You could very well be correct, there certainly are many things happening that could take us back to the summer 1975 rehearsals, and but also it may be 76', I do hear keyboards that could be Andre Lewis. I never noticed any documentation of keyboards in the Summer 1975 rehearsals. There are definitely keyboard parts in both Any Downers? and Phyniox [Take 1]. I think we should be careful of playing the 75' Summer Rehearsals with Novi Novog trump card to quickly. These recordings may very well be from Record Plant 1976.

In regards to "Any Downers?", I just popped a couple of listens where I am a bit more clear now. I have to wonder how many of the Zappa fanatical are now "holding-it". The keyboard parts and vocals can certainly make us ponder Andre Lewis and that does work the evolution through Record Plant recordings in 1976. I'm digging this on a planetary level that pre-dates Punky's Whips. These new audio nuggets are far more my cup of tea than any drug induced bennies or downers scenario, but what do I know, I never did those things. Music Is The Best is good enough for me.

While we have to wait for this corsaga to play itself, even as stand-alone Zappa Radio nuggets, these two recording are very tasty. My first thought was Bozzio and Estrada sharing the lead vocals here, but there was some natural soul happening in the left channel spoken word and vocal parts that seemed to rise above my prejudice, or quick finger trigger judgement, of Bozzio NOT being a major part of this vocal duet. I did not even notice on Bozzio's singing on Missing Persons We Don't Know Love At All being that soulful, and Terry Bozzio sounds amazing as a solo vocalist on that Missing Persons song. After repeated listening it's clearly Bozzio. "Oh Zappa Boy.....", Frank has musicians doing so many vocal and instrumental textures in his entire canon of music. "Brother are you holding". I tell all truly that I am forever amazed at just how many things are happening in FZs music.

Don Brewer came to mind for the mere fact that the vocals had a refined texture. I always thought Bozzio deserved a bit more credit for his vocals. I for one always liked his vocals, possibly I need to even give Terry Ted more credit. Certainly he has done many fine vocal parts, but when Bozzio devotes so much energy to playing drums, sometimes, and I do mean sometimes, he can be a bit winded.

I am now giving this a more detailed listen. Once I have a bit more time on my hands I'll get out the headphones, see if this could dateline even forward to the summer of 1976 recordings at the Record Plant, but even as this plays away on my home stereo, I type away in a different room. I am now very much leaning back to Bozzio/Estrada being a lead vocal duet. Bozzio is so soulful on the repeated "Brother are you holding" parts, Frank even chimes in with several dialogue lines....., but this song is so very much a duet, where the storyline goes back and forth. If this version had ever made it to Live In New York, I can't see why this would not have as much monster song potential as Punky Whips has had.

"No, No, No, No...." from the spoken dialogue to the loud screaming while drumming, this is all very much Terry. Thinking of Summer 1975 rehearsals, for a moment I was even willing to investigate the possibility of Robert Frog Camarena. There are parts of the dialogue 'what if I scratch your primer spot" that re-priming the right front fender conceptual continuity does stem from Lancaster but it's Bozzio. No sense in beating anyone's dog here, in the regard to that specific line, Bozzio's line comes right after FZ says "what if I hurt your car", Bozzio is taking the cue from FZ here, but the so called wedding bells of this for real adventure have so much going on. In addition to the Bozzio & Estrada main duet , I had thought there could be a possibility that Camarena could be sharing some intermixed parts in the vocal duties, but it may very well be Bozzio and Estrada sharing all the main lead vocals as a duet, possibly some time after Summer 75' rehearsals .

There is lots going on, I am not even talking about anything from Phyniox [Take 1]. I just have to wonder how much stuff we possibly may be getting from the Summer 1976 rehearsals to the 1975 Record Plant recordings. Not that I am as of yet noticing anything Napolean related but there are some things camouflaged. I am not one to normally have a favorati in the catalog but on my part, this may very well be the most eagerly awaited corsaga project to date!

Edit: In Phyniox [Take 1], I am noticing several violin tracks in the song. One violin part goes back and forth with FZ playing guitar lines, there are is seemingly several background violin overdubs. This could very well be Eddie Jobson. Record Plant in 1976 when Jobson first started working with FZ . As a reminder there are some keyboard parts in the song. As of now I have not noticed anyone talking of a keyboard player in the Summer 1975 rehearsals with Novi Novog.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Last edited by Trendmonger on Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:42 pm 

According to Charles Ulrich, Napoleon has said he was to play keyboards in the fall 75 band, before Andre Lewis joined. Novi has played keyboards on her group's albums so I suspect she and Napoleon are the keyboardists on these tracks. It doesn't sound like Andre Lewis is there, since the tracks feature Rhodes and string synthesizer (two instruments he never played with Zappa) and no organ (the instrument he mainly played).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:08 pm 

pbuzby wrote:
According to Charles Ulrich, Napoleon has said he was to play keyboards in the fall 75 band, before Andre Lewis joined. Novi has played keyboards on her group's albums so I suspect she and Napoleon are the keyboardists on these tracks. It doesn't sound like Andre Lewis is there, since the tracks feature Rhodes and string synthesizer (two instruments he never played with Zappa) and no organ (the instrument he mainly played).

I was not aware of that. As you note there are two keyboard tracks in Any Downers. Roman Garcia Albertos chronology area does not make mention of the 75' Summer Tour Rehearsals having the needed instrumentation. Certainly history has shown some errors with that website data, but there seemingly are overdubs on parts of these recordings.

As a follow up, I was making some soup in the kitchen, where I could hear the songs a bit better on my home stereo. From where I type away at the keyboard in the bedroom, I could not hear some of the details from the other side of the house. As I heard the songs for a second time I definitely heard more. I do realise Any Downers is a Vocal Duet with Bozzio and Estrada so that first stab at Brewer is now obviously so very wrong. What can one expect from a first quick listen on streaming radio through small laptop speakers. I do appreciate your input, you have certainly raised my awareness as to possibilities, but I am a still a bit up in the air if either of these recordings possibly extend to the summer 76' record plant with Andre Lewis engineering and also some keyboards, Eddie Jobson playing some keyboard and violin parts.

Not that you were specifically pointing to Summer 75' rehearsals with Novi Novog but there are seemingly far too many parts going on with overdubs to consider these recordings as rehearsal tapes from Summer 75' with Novi Novog. Who knows maybe there are studio tapes with overdubs with Novi, but my gut feeling is telling me that Phyniox [Take 1] is with Jobson. As far as what song has overdubs, I think Phyniox [Take 1], Any Downers may very well be cut live in the studio.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Last edited by Trendmonger on Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:22 pm 

What came first, Trendy? The music or the analysis?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:35 pm 

I'll need to give this a headphone listen soon, but I don't think there are overdubs. It sounds like a rehearsal tape, although there are some surprisingly fancy panning effects on FZ's guitar.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next