Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:45 am 

The 2014 Experience Hendrix Tour is set to begin in March.

The 2014 tour will feature Billy Cox, Chris Layton, Zakk Wylde, Buddy Guy, Jonny Lang, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Dweezil Zappa, Cesar Rosas,David Hidalgo, Eric Gales, Doyle Bramhall II, Eric Johnson, Mato Nanji and Ana Popovic. Additional guests to be announced.

Official Experience Hendrix Tour Website
http://www.experiencehendrixtour.com/

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:08 am 

for those that are not familiar with Mato Nanji , check out indigenous , that would be his band, they are from marty south dakota, on the res. mato is very good at blues and has a hendrix feel to his playing. Sounds like this could be an interesting tour.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:20 am 

I am a little surprised Joe satriani is not included as I think he is the closest player alive to capture the hendrix sound and technique .

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:32 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
I am a little surprised Joe satriani is not included as I think he is the closest player alive to capture the hendrix sound and technique .

Alive is the caveat - Stevie Ray Vaughn was the best Hendrix impersonator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:40 am 

Well SRV based his sound kinda like Jimi , Joe does not in his own material, but he has a dvd where he explains his biggest influence, then plays some Hendrix material and kills it. If a person can find that video you might change your mind, also Mato, sounds like Hendrix but he like SRV have based their sound on Hendrix.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:32 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Mato Nanji,.. on the res.

Do you mean a resonator? Got a link?
TT

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:09 am 

No, I mean Indian reservation, go back to the first post, there is a link to the Hendrix tour web site and on the web site there are links to the guitar players that are preforming and their web sites.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:13 pm 

Ever listen to Robin Trower? He was doing it back in the 70's, "Bridge of Sighs".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:44 pm 

Yes Robin Trower very good point I liked his work with procal harum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:20 pm 

jmuskat wrote:

Ever listen to Robin Trower? He was doing it back in the 70's, "Bridge of Sighs".

Don't ferget Frank Marino.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:24 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
jmuskat wrote:

Please can I? Please?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:36 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNLTGgPL6V4
Randy Hansen Band - Machine Gun - Jimi Hendrix - full version HD

Just have him there and send the rest Home :shock: Again :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:44 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
jmuskat wrote:

Please can I? Please?

OK...You can, but nobody else!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:18 pm 

just plain doug wrote:

Thanks. I guess Marino isn't bad. But I've never seen him as anywhere near Hendrix.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:34 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

Thanks. I guess Marino isn't bad. But I've never seen him as anywhere near Hendrix.

The early Mahogany Rush albums, before Marino became more than just part of the group, were intentionally mimicking Hendrix' music style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fVfpcHMxWg

"An often-repeated myth is he was visited by an apparition of Jimi Hendrix after a bad LSD trip, a myth Marino has always disavowed, and still does so now on his personal website. His playing, however, is inspired by Hendrix (on the Gibson website he is described as "carrying Jimi's psychedelic torch"), and Marino is notable for strong cover versions of Hendrix classics such as "Purple Haze". He has been criticized by some as a Hendrix clone. Marino himself claims that he didn't consciously set out to imitate Hendrix's style at all: "The whole style just came naturally. I didn't choose it; it chose me."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:29 am 

Hmm, I had a former forum member tell me that he knew Marino and they always made fun of him because he thought that Hendrix was in his soul and that they laughed at him because he took a lot of acid and stared at his Hendrix poster too much.

But, that could be a stretching of the truth. I dunno.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:24 am 

I have a Mahogany Rush LP and when listening if you didn't know the difference, you'd think it was Hendrix. It even says 'dedicated to Jimi Hendrix' on the back cover.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:55 pm 

tiboudre wrote:
I have a Mahogany Rush LP and when listening if you didn't know the difference, you'd think it was Hendrix.

I guess there's nothing unique about Hendrix after all. SRV, Satriani, Frank Marino, Hendrix. All the same. Cool. This looks like a great tour. So many great players who sound alike. I guess this way no one gets tired of sounding like Hendrix. They just trade off.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:41 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
tiboudre wrote:
I have a Mahogany Rush LP and when listening if you didn't know the difference, you'd think it was Hendrix.

I guess there's nothing unique about Hendrix after all. SRV, Satriani, Frank Marino, Hendrix. All the same. Cool. This looks like a great tour. So many great players who sound alike. I guess this way no one gets tired of sounding like Hendrix. They just trade off.

The flattery sincereness is OFF THE CHARTS!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:17 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
tiboudre wrote:

The flattery sincereness is OFF THE CHARTS!!!

He's a Buster STRAGGHIT uPbUSTER :mrgreen:
fUCK they sound the same because of style and effects,Dumb Fuck :mrgreen: :roll: :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:14 pm 

cleon wrote:
they sound the same because of style and effects,Dumb Fuck

How does them sounding the same because of style and effects make me a dumb fuck?

It's not as if I claimed they sound the same because of something other than style and effects. Although the choice of notes comes into play as well. And the fact that they are copying Hendrix licks right off the records.

Besides, you don't know how to be original. You're strictly a transcriber.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:13 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
cleon wrote:
they sound the same because of style and effects,Dumb Fuck

How does them sounding the same because of style and effects make me a dumb fuck?

It's not as if I claimed they sound the same because of something other than style and effects. Although the choice of notes comes into play as well. And the fact that they are copying Hendrix licks right off the records.

Besides, you don't know how to be original. You're strictly a transcriber.

And your A Dumb Fuck.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:02 pm 

cleon wrote:
And your A Dumb Fuck.

Gee, thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:33 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
cleon wrote:
And your A Dumb Fuck.

Gee, thanks.

No Problem it just seems that your Soul Thinks people are or sould be like you think.
anyway There is a bit more too it than style and effects like timing Some of these artist get it correct practicing and Perusing too get the band sounding Good,you mostly say something like unoriginal what do you what Originals Fucking Had it ONCE YOUR OLD ENUFF TOO NOW BETTER ,And every musician Got 3 things going for them Speed Feel Accuracy :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:19 am 

cleon wrote:
Good,you mostly say something like unoriginal what do you what Originals Fucking Had it ONCE YOUR OLD ENUFF TOO NOW BETTER ,And every musician Got 3 things going for them Speed Feel Accuracy

originality/inspiration >speed feel and accuracy

I can play and sound like Hendrix. It's quite easy. He's already done all the work, I just copy it. I deserve no credit for this and seek none. I find it very simple to copy. I also find it very unrewarding.
I guess you think it's a major achievement to play like Hendrix. I'd guess that is because you are a total amateur. If you were any good at guitar you'd realize it's the easiest thing in the world to copy someone else. It's like tracing over a drawing.