Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 421 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:33 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
tiboudre wrote:

It wasn't half bad.

I especially liked the explosives that detonate upon contact with semen.
(that, and torturing the naked woman by having a leper feel her up!!)

Would a leper losing a finger inside her have helped picked up the pace a bit, ya think? ( barf out!)

How about the Leapers skin boils poping during climax...wew... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:30 pm 

Plook wrote:
How about the Leapers skin boils poping during climax...wew... :mrgreen:

Ewwww! Sorta' like the mudpots at Jellystone Park Yogi? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:51 am 

Yesterday Die Another Day was on, and I caught some of that. Man, it's stupid, the special effects look hideous and the acting of all characters I saw in those 15 minutes except for Judi Dench is craptacular.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:20 am 

I watched 'the ring' (USA) again the other day. And don't all crucify me cos 'the japanese version is better', cos it isn't.
It's a tacked together collage of various better films (scream / silence of lambs / evil dead / sixth sense), it makes no sense unless you make up your own plot, and lines like "i've seen that tree before" make it fucking ludicrous.
Having said that, it gives me the shits, I love the arty winter landscapes, and Watts is good on the eye. Its one of my fave films.
TT

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:52 pm 

The main reasons why I like the Japanese version (which is of course entirely subjective):
-There's something incredibly spooky about traditional Japanese houses, you know the types with no chairs and painted paper sliding doors. The same goes for the Shinto burial.
-The characters all seem very likely to me
-There's a sense of realism about this film
-The Ringu girl is creepy: skinny, invisible face, slow yet menacing...

Why I don't like the US remake all that much:
-monochrome colour scheme is tacky, not effective. Takes away the realism.
-poorly cast lead actors. I find them annoyingly Hollywood fake.
-horses. horses. horses.
-girl is younger and a little chubby, making her look cute, not scary. Also her speed at times makes her less credible.
-The "ring" is taped on. The name Ringu refers to the tapes having to circulate, but, possibly because the American viewers weren't considered smart enough by Hollywood to figure that out, they had to add that well thing. That ring wouldn't be there, seriously!

The thing about horror is that it either gets to you, or it doesn't. I had Amsterdamned freaking me out and giving me nightmares for years, and in the US it's considered a cult comedy. Calling a horror film bad because it didn't get to you, it's something I don't do. If it's bad there's usually tons of other stuff to mock, such as bad acting, bad dialogue or off-colour blood, the strings on the giant spider, etc etc. Ringu didn't terrify me (although the bit at the end was cool) but I wouldn't call it bad. If you call it bad, I'd gladly like to know why.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:04 pm 

BBP wrote:
If you call it bad, I'd gladly like to know why.

I didn't say it was bad, I said it wasn't better. And despite it being ridiculous and incomprehensible, I said its one of my faves 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:00 pm 

At the Petra exhibit I went to today, they were showing a 2-minute clip of Transformers where they're outside Petra (Jordan). What an utter piece of shit that is!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:02 pm 

a "friend" of mine forced a found footage movie about trolls in sweden. he's not my friend anymore...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:09 pm 

BBP wrote:
At the Petra exhibit I went to today, they were showing a 2-minute clip of Transformers where they're outside Petra (Jordan). What an utter piece of shit that is!

i wrote a 12 page paper about how Michael Bay is ruining the film industry, specifically citing that movie. I went into the theater knowing as much about transformers as i did coming out (read: nothing).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:44 am 

I loved the cartoons as a kid. This boy I knew had those toy robots that could really convert into cars, I was very envious of them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:52 am 

BBP wrote:
I loved the cartoons as a kid. This boy I knew had those toy robots that could really convert into cars, I was very envious of them.

Them or him for having them?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:48 am 

You don't get things like that if you're a girl. I had a doll house which is incomplete because I put the little dolls in my Fisher Price cash register.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:47 pm 

Norwegian Wood. Not a terrible film per se but the pacing is too slow, supporting characters were cut too short, in general the book is a lot, lot better. Although they did leave in the Suez channel gag. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:08 pm 

BBP wrote:
Yesterday Die Another Day was on, and I caught some of that. Man, it's stupid, the special effects look hideous and the acting of all characters I saw in those 15 minutes except for Judi Dench is craptacular.

It's on again now. It's a piece of shit! Jokes are predictable and stupid, and who in their mind thinks it's a good idea to have a second sun?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:27 am 

True classics!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:32 am 

Saw these two on the weekend:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:00 pm 

90% of the movies showcased on argentinian tv are crap, for example, A Good Day To Die Hard and that bunch of stupid hollywood movies.

95% of our local cinema is also crap.

That's why I never watch TV.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:03 pm 

wakawazooinregalia' wrote:
90% of the movies showcased on argentinian tv are crap, for example, A Good Day To Die Hard and that bunch of stupid hollywood movies.

There are plenty of good movies out there, some are just plain fun, others are thought provoking... :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:15 pm 

Plook wrote:

There are plenty of good movies out there, some are just plain fun, others are thought provoking... :smoke:

Don't get me wrong, movies are my second favourite behind music. If I want to watch a film or a TV show I wathc it online or buy it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:20 pm 

Plook wrote:

Don't get me wrong, movies are my second favourite behind music. If I want to watch a film or a TV show I wathc it online or buy it.

You know Terri and I did not go to the movies for years, watch a lot of VHS and DVD's (we were pro’s at watching Foreign Films…lol…it’s a skill).

Then about 8 years ago we started doing matinees (less of a crowd/better prices) and you just can’t beat that movie theater experience…the one that people fell in love with in the 50’s and 60’s (very Americana).

I miss going to the show with Terri, a lot… :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:16 pm 

Plook wrote:

You know Terri and I did not go to the movies for years, watch a lot of VHS and DVD's (we were pro’s at watching Foreign Films…lol…it’s a skill).

Then about 8 years ago we started doing matinees (less of a crowd/better prices) and you just can’t beat that movie theater experience…the one that people fell in love with in the 50’s and 60’s (very Americana).

Sorry, who's Terri?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:09 pm 

Oh, my condolences.

Last edited by wakawazooinregalia' on Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:11 pm 

Plook wrote:

Sorry, who's Terri?

If your up to it go to What's Zappening - Plook on Tour...Page 93 is a good start, but you may want to read more...I'm told its hard to put down...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:12 pm 

Plook wrote:
Plook wrote:

Sorry, who's Terri?

If your up to it go to What's Zappening - Plook on Tour...Page 93 is a good start, but you may want to read more...I'm told its hard to put down...

I have just researched. Sorry. Really. I'd like to really express my feelings about it, but it's hard for me in english. What I can say is that I'm really sad, even though I didn't knew who she was until 15 minutes ago, and I was shocked. In fact, I have a lump in my throat. I can't believe it, you seemed very happy in your posts, I couldn't even suspect a terrible thing happened to you recently. Again, I'm very sorry.

I'll play Aybe Sea in her memory.

:cry:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:25 pm 

Thank you, peoplev always say I'm so strong, I'm not its a front..just trying to survive

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 421 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next