Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 419 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:32 pm 

I cannot get enough of this album. On the way to work this morning I listened to Penguin>Exercise #4>Dog Breath>Dog Breath Variations>Uncle Meat>RDNZL. I found Exercize #4 through Uncle Meat particularly amazing today. What magnificent chamber music. In terms of a favorite vault release I've been partial to Wazoo for a long time, but this one's giving it a serious run for the money.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:14 am 

Phlakaton wrote:
I'd take a dozen shows with sound quality equal to Joe's Menage any day of the week for any Road Tapes release. Something can be said about different sounding shows - some have unique sounding snares - or odd sounding mixes... I guess years of wildly different shows from audience sources gives me the excitement.

As far as the "Guerilla Recordings", the liner notes of Road Tapes Venue#2 are quite clear.
The Jewel Case has a photo, where Helsinki 8-23, 8/24 master tapes, show they are labelled with white numbered dots up to 138.
One can imagine that many of these so called Guerilla tapes have been archived with each having an associated label marker.

In the case with the Helsinki Source Tapes

-A variety of tape formats, 2 track and 4 track
-15 ips and 7 1/2 ips recording speeds
-The venue has a noisy and troublesome console
-Some tapes have CCIR Euro EQ
-Playback machine was an Otari MX5050-BQ II 1/4" Four Track
-96K/24B analogue transfers

It's quite obvious that Joe Travers continues to Vaultmeiser HD analogue to digital transfers. One digital master is created for each analogue reel. The project moves forward.... While Road Tapes #2 is not one complete show, we do get a production that showcases what was happening in Helsinki. The source masters pretty much captured all instrumentation on two tracks, and but also, the tapes that are four tracks contain an additional two tracks of audience.

As a listener I can appreciate the Guerilla audio, packaging and overall production. There is no doubt that this is a unique long awaited collection. I for one think that more Euro 73' will see the light of day. Not sure if it will have source masters that are superior, or lend themselves to a Full Show, but I do think that there are a number of Euro 73' reels just waiting for it's time, possibly even a full show. I have high hopes that another Euro 73' date will make it's way into another project.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:06 am 

NuclearProstate wrote:
FULL ALBUM NIGGAS

Gave it one listen and ORDERED IT STRAIGHT-A-FUCKING WAY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN1h2w7gqvY

So long Venue 2 YouTube.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:36 pm 

Oh my god, this album is amazing. I'm on first listen and I'm on Dupree's right now. This destroys all the sbd's I've heard from this era, both in production (obviously) but also the tightness of the band. This is shooting right up to my top 20 Zappa albums.

Gail Zappa, zappa.com, November 2010
Dance Me This and The Rage And The Fury should be out by 2012.

Gail Zappa, zappa.com, March 28, 2012
Within the year from now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:46 pm 

Received last night. Luckily I have a two hour drive to a meeting later today...

Also received Little MoFo, : Question: it has a hole punched through the bar code on the back. Anyone else notice this. Has it anything to do with "deleted items" like in the old vinyl days?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:44 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
Also received Little MoFo, : Question: it has a hole punched through the bar code on the back. Anyone else notice this. Has it anything to do with "deleted items" like in the old vinyl days?

Yes, a punch hole through the bar code would be equal to cut corner or punchhole in an LP cover.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:14 am 

I have to admit, that... :cry: kinda disappointed with RT2. I don't know, maybe I'm just used to roxy versions of these songs...
Will give it a shot few more times, but for now, it just doesn't affect me. :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:24 am 

DC Boogie wrote:
The_Acadian_2 wrote:

Yes, a punch hole through the bar code would be equal to cut corner or punchhole in an LP cover.

Or a promo copy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:08 am 

Flea wrote:
I have to admit, that... :cry: kinda disappointed with RT2. I don't know, maybe I'm just used to roxy versions of these songs...
Will give it a shot few more times, but for now, it just doesn't affect me. :cry:

Hang in there. It'll sneak up on you, you'll see. :)

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:26 am 

DC Boogie wrote:
The_Acadian_2 wrote:

Ok! yeah! So what does that mean? It's no longer in production and has been deleted from..what? It also had some leftover sticker on the jewel case...maybe it is a promo copy. Figure they must not have moved a lot of them.

back on topic....RT2 is wonderful.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:19 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
Flea wrote:

There are two tracks - Echidna's Arf (of you) and Dont you ever wash that thing - that didn't do it for me straight away --- but because they were not like the Roxy or other versions I had been used to. BUT - damn! I love that they are a slower tempo now - and there seems to be much more to indulge in because of that very tempo. More solo goodness and joy. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:04 pm 

Phlakaton wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:
Flea wrote:

There are two tracks - Echidna's Arf (of you) and Dont you ever wash that thing - that didn't do it for me straight away --- but because they were not like the Roxy or other versions I had been used to. BUT - damn! I love that they are a slower tempo now - and there seems to be much more to indulge in because of that very tempo. More solo goodness and joy. :)

Echidna's and Don't You Ever are a bit slower indeed, but more densely orchestrated. Love the additions of violin as well as Ian's more psychedelic (as opposed to George's fusiony) synthesiser parts, and then bass clarinet halfway at Echidna, doublin' the bassline. Don't You Ever has the same post-Electric Miles swagger as on Roxy during the solo sections, Ian's bass clarinet is a welcome additional solo. Plus, the ending coda still has the harmonies over the pedal tone of C, as opposed to the more fusion-y (again) harmonies on Roxy. Plus, I like Ralph's percussive backdrop quite a bit.

Bottom line: Feb-Sep '73 was still a jazz-rock band heavy on amplification of jazz instrumentation and the inventive mixture of rock intensity with jazz fluidity. The bands from Oct '73 onwards are more like Wagnerian funk-fusion outfits. Not bad, but certainly a different animal.

And get this: I finally got out some money from my savings and bought a bass clarinet! Love this instrument, Ian's playing on RTV2 was the final impetus.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:57 pm 

BIG BIG BIG Swifty ! :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:05 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
DC Boogie wrote:
The_Acadian_2 wrote:

Ok! yeah! So what does that mean? It's no longer in production and has been deleted from..what? It also had some leftover sticker on the jewel case...maybe it is a promo copy. Figure they must not have moved a lot of them.

back on topic....RT2 is wonderful.

Where did you buy the MoFo from? Seems as if its a used and promo copy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:44 am 

jaypfunk wrote:

Yeah it did not have any shrink wrap either....got it at Barfko/Music Today, same order as RT2 along with Congress.....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:31 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

Yeah it did not have any shrink wrap either....got it at Barfko/Music Today, same order as RT2 along with Congress.....

From Barfko/Music Today and that is how you received it? WTF.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:49 am 

Phlakaton wrote:
The_Acadian_2 wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

From Barfko/Music Today and that is how you received it? WTF.

yeah that's fucked up.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:19 am 

jaypfunk wrote:

yeah that's fucked up.

I just noticed on the barfko site that Little Mofo "is also in stores"...so maybe some them sent Little Mofo back saying "You DICKS ! This is not Gangsta Rap !!!!"

I do think it's a used copy but why the punched barcode?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:10 am 

I listened once... its a great one but i still have hard time to concentrate on music.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:32 pm 

Just got this together with Venue #1 and Bat Chain Puller, and it ROCKS as much as any trendmonger out there SUCKS (yeah, it ROCKS that much)! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:32 pm 

Niiiice! "Brown Shoes" is playing on Zappa Radio!

This arrangement is definitely different from both AF and TTR. Horns (dig these bass clarinet parts!) and violin dominate, vocals are pared down to just George and Frank, who carry the tune well. And scarcely any (or even no) guitar at all! The amplified front-line instruments of Jean-Luc, Ian and Bruce seem to compensate though. Keyboards strictly restricted to clavinet and pianos, no horrendous synths. I also prefer Ralph's more effortless groove to Vinnie's Steve Gadd-isms on TTR.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:05 pm 

Wonderful wonderment!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:45 am 

I listened RT2 very focused laid on my bed after midnite and all you guys were right its a fantastic album. It sound like it was recorded this year its fresh music from the future.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:21 pm 

Got it today with TOHE CD. Yeah, what to say :?: , this is the fucking shit :!: I don't collect boot downloads, only exposure to this lineup was Piquantique. There's a lot to soak in on this set for sure.
I think the Brown Shoes encore is great. Some have said it seems too tongue-in-cheek or too jokey. Dun-Dun-Dun :) Love the emphasis on "the hook" too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:23 am 

What parts of Farther O'Blivion could be from 23 Aug (late) and what from 24 Aug show?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 419 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next