PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:59 am 

hello !

I've made these mashups & I hope that you'll enjoy them :D

Frank Zappa + Michael Jackson (J5)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXc37DouSVE

Frank Zappa + Lauryn Hill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOg3bUI1iuY

I've made a bunch of other (non-FZ related) improbable collages of this kind,
(check them out if you like the Stranglers too)
here's a playlist where you can try them :

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeiXK9T33Kos_XZJS56XXtDLRMUGg7EVC

I hope that they won't leave you indifferent :)

peace,

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:34 am 

Oddly entertaining.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:08 am 

thank you for the feedback :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:30 am 

taotekid wrote:
hello !

These are fucking terrible and are completely out of sync. You should kill yourself.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:35 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
These are fucking terrible and are completely out of sync. You should kill yourself.

Zappa's music & MJ's singing just "synchronize in a strange way" as Zappa said,
too bad you can't hear that ...
he called this technique/phenomenon "Xenochrony", look it up :smoke:

& if your narrow little mind needs "sync" so much, you must really hate "Rubber Shirt" too,
& I guess you probably also think that Zappa should have killed himself after putting it together & releasing it :roll: ...

but the timing is not the point here :

what matters more to me is that MJ's singing works so surprisingly well with 'Teenage Wind's tonality & harmonic texture,
which is quite a different context from the one he originally sang his song to,
but that was obviously completely lost on you ...

& I personally don't mind MJ's vocals rhythmically wandering in & out in a free-form manner,
actually, I happen to like how it sits on this 'Teenage Wind' instrumental,
with all its syncopations, intricate arrangements & complicated meters all over the place, coincidently.

I'm glad this didn't leave you indifferent though,
I can say that my work here is done :mrgreen:

but what are YOU up to, apart from spewing your bad vibes at strangers on teh interwebz ?

peace,

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:17 pm 

I hope these clips collect unemployment insurance because they ain't working. :mrgreen:

There's nothing like a Catholic Girl
With her hand in the box
When she's on her knees

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:54 am 

My respect, for experimenting...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:30 am 

What's next, Lawrence Welk conducts Boulez? Sing along with Mitch...Ryder & The Detroit Wheels featuring Pavarotti on lead vocals?
Some tonal qualities blend nicely and almost match up, but the general feel is not as thrilling as one would think it could or should be. imho :|

Keep trying, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in awhile. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:26 am 

taotekid wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

& if your narrow little mind needs "sync" so much, you must really hate "Rubber Shirt" too,
& I guess you probably also think that Zappa should have killed himself after putting it together & releasing it :roll: ...

what matters more to me is that MJ's singing works so surprisingly well with 'Teenage Wind's tonality & harmonic texture,

& I personally don't mind MJ's vocals rhythmically wandering in & out in a free-form manner,
with all its syncopations, intricate arrangements & complicated meters all over the place, coincidently.

but what are YOU up to, apart from spewing your bad vibes at strangers on teh interwebz ?

peace,

1 - ummmm asshole... i've known about Xenochrony wayyyyyyyy before your father ever even decided to leave it in your mother to create your dumb fucking ass instead of just letting it just drip off her chin. ok retard? got that?

2 - Rubber Shirt is great. Why wouldn't I like it? It was created by FRANK. Your mashups on the other hand... fucking stink!! You sir are no Frank Zappa so don't compare your cheesy trendy experimental garbage to anything that he's ever done.

3 - stop using over used hipster douchebag terms like "teh interwebz" we get it! moron.

4 - YOU posted it here in public. when you do that you need to expect criticism. you sound like a pussy hurt little faggot. i bet you are in your 20s. an over coddled, politically correct, everybody gets a trophy, little whiny baby boy that can't handle shit.

5 - See the picture below! Assmonkey.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:15 am 

Can't say he didn't give you the stick to hit him with... :roll: But go easy on the kid JPF, you might leave scars...and that's no good.

Maybe he should wait till he get's a couple hundred views on Utube and at least one like from each and everyone of his friends on the Fbook before you poots forth over here.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:06 am 

Jaypfunk is easily the most controversial of the Zappa forum members, if we exclude the pathological cases such as Trendmonger. Some think he's a breath of fresh air against how should I say it, politically correct mentality. Others deride him as an attention whore. Who is right? You be the judge!

However, the very concept of mashup is an affront to Zappaphiles' sensibilities, who think a composer of eclectic and complex music deserves far more respect than is afforded by all sorts of kids with laptops and too much time on their hands. So this has to be taken into account.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:06 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
asshole... dumb fucking ass ... retard ... moron ... pussy hurt little faggot... little whiny baby boy ... Assmonkey.

I wasn't comparing myself to Frank, although I can see now how I may have sounded like I was ...
I was just highlighting the fact that the idea & the technique/process is the same :

"musicians, who were never in the same room at the same time, playing at two different rates in two different moods for two different purposes, when blended together, yielding a third result which is musical and synchronizes in a strange way." FZ

& yes, Rubber Shirt is great & it was created by FRANK, but it still is "completely out of sync" whether you like it or not.

& yes, I posted it here in public expecting criticism, just not the kind you have to offer,
especially not the way you do it ...

(which, I have to admit, is quite priceless on a strictly entertain-mental value level,
& believe it or not, I appreciate the creativity you put in the delivery of your seemingly endless flow of bile)

I welcome any kind of feedback, positive (thank you Mr_Green_Genes & KAPT.KIIRK ! :mrgreen: ) or negative,
as long as it's somewhat constructive, & I understand that it's just your style, jaypfunk, but your criticism wasn't exactly that.

English is not my native language by the way

(here's another stick for you, go fetch it ! > I'm french,
& if I were to use an obnoxious tone that would fatally pale in comparison to yours,
I would add : "et je t'emmerde !" without asking you to excuse my language for it ..)

that could explain why I'm not up-to-date with the latest informal rules that dictate what's an over-used hipster douchebag term & what's not ...
not that it really matters, but seems it does to you ...

& just so you know, you're off by almost 20 years regarding my age,
I know that the 'kid' in my alias may be misleading in some way,
but the kid who I was is still who I am ...
feel free to be a nasty old man if that's your thing ;)

& you have me wondering about where I stand political-correctness-wise in your book,
I think that these documentaries are brilliant & powerful, priceless collections of vital knowledge,
(a remarkable body of work that I assume (as in "know") Frank Zappa would have applauded)
I share them all over the place whenever I get an occasion to,
& even when I don't, occasionally :

http://metanoia-films.org/films/

just out of curiosity, what does your political-correctness meter say about those ?

& are you still angry at me ? :mrgreen:

peace,

Last edited by taotekid on Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:31 am 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
Jaypfunk is easily the most controversial of the Zappa forum members, if we exclude the pathological cases such as Trendmonger. Some think he's a breath of fresh air against how should I say it, politically correct mentality. Others deride him as an attention whore. Who is right? You be the judge!

However, the very concept of mashup is an affront to Zappaphiles' sensibilities, who think a composer of eclectic and complex music deserves far more respect than is afforded by all sorts of kids with laptops and too much time on their hands. So this has to be taken into account.

I shall not judge but thank you Ed Organus Maximus ! :mrgreen:

but you should know that I love Zappa too, & I do respect him, his spirit & his work immensely,
& also, I don't just do mashups, & I'm not much a self-promoter, but you guys might find this interesting & possibly get a better idea of what I do/who I am,
I didn't intend to post about this here, as it's not related to Zappa, but here goes :

I've put together quite a special (possibly unique ?) system that allows me to literally sing a whole orchestra,
in fact, a harmonized (& sometimes reversed &/or arpeggiated) multi-instrumental canon voice-controlled orchestra
that I like to think Frank would've found interesting :idea:

but I don't know, I guess you be the judge :wink:

(here's just a tiny bit from the description below the following videos :

"This was the very first time we ever played together, the whole idea was to gather
& meet that day for a totally unrehearsed concert that we would improvise
around a minimal set of modal/rhythmic environments,
the frame & the canvas for our collective free-form musical painting, so to speak ..."

I also explain why the mask in the info box beneath the videos :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeiXK9T33Kot-H-dpyyE8tJs7D2LA06Tv

I hope that you'll appreciate that & that Jaypfunk won't hate its ethereal guts, hehe :)

peace,

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:05 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
1 - ummmm asshole... i've known about Xenochrony wayyyyyyyy before your father ever even decided to leave it in your mother to create your dumb fucking ass instead of just letting it just drip off her chin. ok retard? got that?

I've seen a lot of great insults, but this might just be the very best! Thank you for that, I'll try to import it into my everyday language :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:43 pm 

VacuumCleaner wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

I've seen a lot of great insults, but this might just be the very best! Thank you for that, I'll try to import it into my everyday language :D

hahahahahahahahahhaahaaaa

you're welcome sir.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:44 pm 

taotekid wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
asshole... dumb fucking ass ... retard ... moron ... pussy hurt little faggot... little whiny baby boy ... Assmonkey.

I wasn't comparing myself to Frank, although I can see now how I may have sounded like I was ...
I was just highlighting the fact that the idea & the technique/process is the same :

"musicians, who were never in the same room at the same time, playing at two different rates in two different moods for two different purposes, when blended together, yielding a third result which is musical and synchronizes in a strange way." FZ

& yes, Rubber Shirt is great & it was created by FRANK, but it still is "completely out of sync" whether you like it or not.

& yes, I posted it here in public expecting criticism, just not the kind you have to offer,
especially not the way you do it ...

(which, I have to admit, is quite priceless on a strictly entertain-mental value level,
& believe it or not, I appreciate the creativity you put in the delivery of your seemingly endless flow of bile)

I welcome any kind of feedback, positive (thank you Mr_Green_Genes & KAPT.KIIRK ! :mrgreen: ) or negative,
as long as it's somewhat constructive, & I understand that it's just your style, jaypfunk, but your criticism wasn't exactly that.

English is not my native language by the way

(here's another stick for you, go fetch it ! > I'm french,
& if I were to use an obnoxious tone that would fatally pale in comparison to yours,
I would add : "et je t'emmerde !" without asking you to excuse my language for it ..)

that could explain why I'm not up-to-date with the latest informal rules that dictate what's an over-used hipster douchebag term & what's not ...
not that it really matters, but seems it does to you ...

& just so you know, you're off by almost 20 years regarding my age,
I know that the 'kid' in my alias may be misleading in some way,
but the kid who I was is still who I am ...
feel free to be a nasty old man if that's your thing ;)

& you have me wondering about where I stand political-correctness-wise in your book,
I think that these documentaries are brilliant & powerful, priceless collections of vital knowledge,
(a remarkable body of work that I assume (as in "know") Frank Zappa would have applauded)
I share them all over the place whenever I get an occasion to,
& even when I don't, occasionally :

http://metanoia-films.org/films/

just out of curiosity, what does your political-correctness meter say about those ?

& are you still angry at me ? :mrgreen:

peace,

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:17 pm 

taotekid wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

peace,

You BIT. Then you got bitten. And then you went off on one a bit.
I don't know, I'm not 'offended' by your stuff, but do you really think its any good??
TT

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:27 pm 

Okay, I kind of feel sorry for the original poster, so I am going to play the Devil's Advocate a bit, so to speak.

Is it really that much of a sacrilege to paste a Jacko vocal over the backing track of "Teenage Wind", itself not the most profound FZ composition to my mind? I mean, if the Zappa composition used would be "The Dog Breath Variations", then I'd fully understand the outrage, but c'mon, there are worse things one can do with too much free time on his hands.

Then again, I guess Mr Tuscadero is indeed the angry translator of many people on this forum, and their ideas of what is sacred and what is sacrilege with regards to Zappamusic are pretty darned fixed, no ifs and buts. Mashup = sacrilege, period. So I guess you original poster better not waste any more time here, it just isn't going to improve from here out.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:19 pm 

No one is "outraged" about anything. I merely stated the opinion (more like FACT) that these dumb fucking mashups fucking stink. And that's it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:18 pm 

Be prepared to have your mind blown. This is my mash-up of Frank and some French choral group I found on the internet. You may be telling your great grandchildren about the first time you heard it.

http://www.greatnessland.com/ZappaRomantic.mp3

The chorus got out of time on the next line, and I'm way too lazy to care to finish it. So this is my unfinished mashup masterpiece.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:58 pm 

taotekid wrote:
hello !

Interesting and somewhat enjoyable, but I can't say I'd ever have the desire to watch them again.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:05 pm 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
Jaypfunk is easily the most controversial of the Zappa forum members

Is this what most forum members think? I certainly wouldn't agree with this statement.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:06 pm 

VacuumCleaner wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

It would have been better if he had said "fucktard".

>You don't.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:09 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Be prepared to have your mind blown. This is my mash-up of Frank and some French choral group I found on the internet. You may be telling your great grandchildren about the first time you heard it.

http://www.greatnessland.com/ZappaRomantic.mp3

The chorus got out of time on the next line, and I'm way too lazy to care to finish it. So this is my unfinished mashup masterpiece.

Cal, you've done it again. Pure genius.

Someday I've got to learn how to put multiple quotes from different people into one post.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:15 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
No one is "outraged" about anything. I merely stated the opinion (more like FACT) that these dumb fucking mashups fucking stink. And that's it.
yes, they stink. really bad.