Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: 80's Zappa
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:13 am 

The worst song on TMFU is The Radio Is Broken, with such badly screeching vocals I have to put it off and every time I do play it my ears bleed. Happened just two days ago.
Ike is my favourite FZ vocalist. He's got such humour, such warmth... A song like Yo Cats is really right down his alley.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:51 am 

BBP wrote:
Ike is my favourite FZ vocalist. He's got such humour, such warmth...

Hi-Ho, Silver!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:12 am 

BBP wrote:
The worst song on TMFU is The Radio Is Broken, with such badly screeching vocals I have to put it off and every time I do play it my ears bleed. Happened just two days ago.
Ike is my favourite FZ vocalist. He's got such humour, such warmth... A song like Yo Cats is really right down his alley.

You may remember a thread I made a long time ago complaining about that song. But since then I have decided I love it, it makes me laugh lots and Roy's vocals are killer. That, We Are Not Alone and Moggio really make the album for me.

That's right, the blobulent suit!

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:16 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Some can play nicely with others and some can't. It could be as simple as that. I figure if FZ asked you to "audition" for the band, he knew what sound he was looking for and must have had some reference in mind for asking anyone to audition for his bands.
All Mothers played good Mothers music for Frank in all of FZ/Mothers bands. They were or are all good Mother musicians, imo. 8)

In Logeman's case, he mentioned he told FZ's management that he had played with Mingo Lewis and other similar gigs and they gave the ok for him to come in to audition. Then he was the pick out of more than 50 drummers who tried out.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:56 am 

interesting how FZ liked using musicians that played with santana, mingo, luis gasca and a few more.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:28 am 

Who of Santana camp played with Zappa?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:50 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
interesting how FZ liked using musicians that played with santana, mingo, luis gasca and a few more.

The Zappa and Santana bands both required chops and were both based in California. Don't know of much else in common there.

Tom Coster has said he had a gig offer from Zappa but chose Santana.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:54 am 

pbuzby wrote:
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:

The Zappa and Santana bands both required chops and were both based in California. Don't know of much else in common there.

Tom Coster has said he had a gig offer from Zappa but chose Santana.

Was that when FZ was looking for a keyboardist for any of the Wazoo (studio, live Grand, Petit) formations? It looks like Coster joined Santana in 1972.

As for Ike Willis, y'know, Robert Martin and Ray White are quite talented singers indeed. I for one prefer when "Shall We Take Ourselves Seriously" was played by the 1980 band with Ike Willis singing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:27 am 

Just watched the 1980 concert in Paris because of this excellent discussion (don't know why I've been putting it off for so long...), and it was fuckin' smokin'! Frank tore up every solo (of which there were plenty); I was in stitches with the series of "She's Not There" quotes throughout the latter half of the show (sparked by FZ shredding it out of nowhere during a "Drafted" jam -- when he first played those notes, my heart stopped!!).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:33 am 

I have always had NO problem with Logeman's playing, as pedestrian as it may have been. The early 1980 shows kill especially Frank's solos.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:35 am 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:

If you read the post you saw , mingo l & Luis Gasca. just interesting in that some on this site think Carlos is not a good player.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:45 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
If you read the post you saw , mingo l & Luis Gasca. just interesting in that some on this site think Carlos is not a good player.

Carlos is the king of guitar licks, although I've yet to hear any decent lengthier solos.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:56 am 

Okay, let's see:

http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/musicians/index.html

Anyone in this list that has played in Santana's band? And no, David Logeman that played with someone that has played with Santana does not count.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:13 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:

Whether Carlos is good or not (I like Santana a lot up through 1976 or so and sometimes afterwards), as I mentioned his band is also in California, has had many personnel changes and is a high profile touring band, so it makes sense there are some connections between his band and Zappa's.

Chester Thompson is the only one I know who has been a member of both bands.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:15 am 

As for Ike Willis, y'know, Robert Martin and Ray White are quite talented singers indeed. I for one prefer when "Shall We Take Ourselves Seriously" was played by the 1980 band with Ike Willis singing.

Ike is just as good as Robert and Ray (although Robert does have a large vocal range as you hear in the Baritone Women "cadenza").

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:35 am 

Ike is a good singer but his range isn't as good as bobby's and he can't hold notes as ray can, his voice is a bit raspier. By the 84 tour Ike looked quite unwell and a bit bloated and I'm sure it affected his singing. He performs very well on the Wienn 1988 concert though.

I wish Kin Vassy was on the 88 tour also...

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:12 am 

Ray over Ike, hands down. Ray has better range and more soul.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:23 am 

On the other hand, check the 82 version of "Outside Now" where FZ performed it as an instrumental rather than have Ray or Bobby sing it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:35 am 

Ike sounded in better voice and was playing guitar a lot better than all the pervious times I've seen him since he was with Frank. I saw him in Chico, CA. last October 29th with For The Love Of Frank, a local Zappa tribute band. Good freakin' show! Almost as good as The GrandMothers. (I've a weak spot for NMB as a front man) 8)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:44 am 

pbuzby wrote:
On the other hand, check the 82 version of "Outside Now" where FZ performed it as an instrumental rather than have Ray or Bobby sing it.

Only performed once apparently, as I just perused the '82 setlists. Was it performed with just the 11/4 arpeggio/vamp and then a guitar solo over it or was the vocal melody played on any instrument before the solo?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:49 am 

pbuzby wrote:

Only performed once apparently, as I just perused the '82 setlists. Was it performed with just the 11/4 arpeggio/vamp and then a guitar solo over it or was the vocal melody played on any instrument before the solo?

They performed it once in Pound For A Brown and once on its own. Basically only a guitar solo over the vamp.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:51 am 

pbuzby wrote:

Technically twice. Once in full on 05/28/1982 St. Etienne, France and the vamp was played during Pound on 05/18/1982 Paris.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:24 pm 

Ah yes, the St. Etienne version must've been the opening solo kind of a thing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:16 pm 

Ike definitely seemed to have a pretty good singing rapport with Frank. One of my favourite things to watch on the '88 tour videos is when FZ and Ike are vocally interacting together, as on "Jesus Thinks You're A Jerk" for instance.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:54 pm 

Yeah he is good on those songs and works well when everyone sings together. Wish Ray was on that tour, and the Fifty-Fifty guy. I wish there was more of it out there. Just been listening to MAJNH and it blows me away. Can't get enough of the WOIIFTM stuff on there, the medleys are amazing.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next