Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6898
Location: South wales
downer mydnyte wrote:
cleon wrote:
Good,you mostly say something like unoriginal what do you what Originals Fucking Had it ONCE YOUR OLD ENUFF TOO NOW BETTER ,And every musician Got 3 things going for them Speed Feel Accuracy


originality/inspiration >speed feel and accuracy


I can play and sound like Hendrix. It's quite easy. He's already done all the work, I just copy it. I deserve no credit for this and seek none. I find it very simple to copy. I also find it very unrewarding.
I guess you think it's a major achievement to play like Hendrix. I'd guess that is because you are a total amateur. If you were any good at guitar you'd realize it's the easiest thing in the world to copy someone else. It's like tracing over a drawing.
Originality is your word just selfish Speed Feel Accuracy are Facts.
You thinks you can sound like Hendrix how is it easy if someone ain't got Jimi Hand Size be original and sound like,your just a Dumb hater Fuck.

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 2149
cleon wrote:
your just a Dumb hater Fuck


You're the one hating. How many times are you gonna call me dumb? I'm dumb yet I find it easy to copy others. That tells you something right there.

Copying Hendrix is worth nothing. In fact, it's hateful. Be a man and find your own style.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:42 pm
Posts: 1012
Location: The Short Forest
Am I the only diehard Hendrix fan who doesn't give two shits about the EH Tour? I would never pay to see these clowns pay "homage" to Hendrix. Dweezil, yes. Los Lobos dudes, yes, that's about it.
I wouldn't want to see SRV if he were alive do it either. Jonny Lang & Kenny Wayne Shephard can eat a bag of dog dicks. If SRV were alive, he'd probably be making albums with John Mayer.

Put some real guitarists like Keneally, Buckethead, Charlie Hunter, Marc Ribot, Nels Cline, & James Blood Ulmer on the bill and I'm in. But there you have no commercial potential, and they'd be playing 500 seat clubs instead of 2000 seat theaters. :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6898
Location: South wales
downer mydnyte wrote:
cleon wrote:
your just a Dumb hater Fuck


You're the one hating. How many times are you gonna call me dumb? I'm dumb yet I find it easy to copy others. That tells you something right there.

Copying Hendrix is worth nothing. In fact, it's hateful. Be a man and find your own style.

Go fuck yourself with steeling my lines be Original.
Freddy if Hendrix was still around he might sound like shit.

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:48 pm
Posts: 967
Location: Austin
I saw this tour and although I wanted to be into it - I just couldnt... no Hendrix - no dice. He was so much the reason and the sound of the music itself that someone else doing it just doesn't work. It seems Dweezil can pull off what he does because the whole presentation is about a larger musical context. What Frank did wasn't quite as important personally - don't get me wrong - Frank is not replaceable in any shape or form - but the music as a whole is the bigger thing and lots of people played it over many years.

_________________
Take a penny... give a shit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 2149
Phlakaton wrote:
no Hendrix - no dice. He was so much the reason and the sound of the music itself that someone else doing it just doesn't work. Frank is not replaceable in any shape or form - but the music as a whole is the bigger thing and lots of people played it over many years.
Phlakaton wrote:
Dweezil can pull off what he does

Dweezil does the guitar solos. Sorry. Zappa's voice was just as unique as Hendrix. The rest of the band had always been musical chairs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:48 pm
Posts: 967
Location: Austin
downer mydnyte wrote:
Phlakaton wrote:
no Hendrix - no dice. He was so much the reason and the sound of the music itself that someone else doing it just doesn't work. Frank is not replaceable in any shape or form - but the music as a whole is the bigger thing and lots of people played it over many years.
Phlakaton wrote:
Dweezil can pull off what he does

Dweezil does the guitar solos. Sorry. Zappa's voice was just as unique as Hendrix. The rest of the band had always been musical chairs.



But Frank didnt sing all the time and could be just sitting on stage. Hendrix couldnt do that - otherwise whats the point. The music wasnt performed by 3 people. Whatever... like I said - Frank is not replaceable. The point I was trying to make is his music could be bigger than himself... and that is the highest compliment I could want as a composer. He is still in my book the most creative guitarist and soloist ever.

_________________
Take a penny... give a shit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 2149
Phlakaton wrote:
The point I was trying to make is his music could be bigger than himself... and that is the highest compliment I could want as a composer. He is still in my book the most creative guitarist and soloist ever.


I hear you.
It's just that our world is being severely retarded by money-grabbing, insincere, shitty remakes.
The cloning has to stop! When will it finally be shamed out of existence by the masses? What's next, reenactments of exact shows from the 70s? Oh wait, we've already got that. These professional "musicians" (clones) should do something new, don't you think? They should stop redoing. Help the dying concept of independent thought along. Fuck all of these careerists paying "tribute" to the originals. They are afraid to get real jobs. Let 'em beg on the freeway on-ramps.

Standing holding a cardboard sign for 8 hours on a freeway on-ramp is much harder than tracing over someone else's art.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:19 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 14753
downer mydnyte wrote:
Phlakaton wrote:
The point I was trying to make is his music could be bigger than himself... and that is the highest compliment I could want as a composer. He is still in my book the most creative guitarist and soloist ever.


I hear you.
It's just that our world is being severely retarded by money-grabbing, insincere, shitty remakes.
The cloning has to stop! When will it finally be shamed out of existence by the masses? What's next, reenactments of exact shows from the 70s? Oh wait, we've already got that. These professional "musicians" (clones) should do something new, don't you think? They should stop redoing. Help the dying concept of independent thought along. Fuck all of these careerists paying "tribute" to the originals. They are afraid to get real jobs. Let 'em beg on the freeway on-ramps.

Standing holding a cardboard sign for 8 hours on a freeway on-ramp is much harder than tracing over someone else's art.


It's just that our world is being severely retarded by money-grabbing, insincere, shitty remakes.
The cloning has to stop! When will it finally be shamed out of existence by the masses? What's next, reenactments of exact movies from the 70s? Oh wait, we've already got that. These professional "studios" (clones) should do something new, don't you think? They should stop redoing. Help the dying concept of independent thought along. Fuck all of these careerists paying "tribute" to the originals. They are afraid to get real jobs. Let 'em beg on the freeway on-ramps.

Standing holding a cardboard sign for 8 hours on a freeway on-ramp is much harder than tracing over someone else's art.

See? I only had to change two words and it works for the movies too! Thanks downer!

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:04 pm
Posts: 2793
Location: Chicago, sort of.
I saw EH a couple of years ago. Because I love Hendrix, I loved the show. It's a decent tribute. Even though there has been severe sucking on the Hendrix money teat for 30 years or so by all kinds of "artists," this one is a cut above imo.

It was rare during the show for the guitarists to mimic Jimi in their solos. Each had his/her own take on the solos, while playing the songs themselves true to the originals. It wasn't about "playing like Jimi."

I agree with Downer, copying a solo has nothing to do with how it originated. It's a good technical exercise and learning tool, that's it. The only beef I have is that the lineup each time is pretty mediocre, imo.

_________________
Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm
Posts: 3670
Location: Orange County Ca.
Found some footage. So far DZ plays on Freedom and ManicD. Zakk Wild - keys on Are You Experienced? , then a two hour solo on Purple Haze

http://youtu.be/dPejBXMojiA


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:48 am
Posts: 6205
Location: Your Mom's Box
At the Atlantic City soundcheck last Saturday DZ was rehearsing Freedom for about 15mins.

_________________
Make your checks payable to QUENTIN ROBERT DeNAMELAND, Greatest Living Philostopher Known to Mankind.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm
Posts: 3670
Location: Orange County Ca.
jaypfunk wrote:
At the Atlantic City soundcheck last Saturday DZ was rehearsing Freedom for about 15mins.

with the new white strat, of course.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group