Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 57  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:48 am 

Black Sabbath will play the Hollywood Bowl this spring.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:35 pm 

Saw Gary Clark Jr. at the Apollo Theater in NYC last week. Very talented. Definitely recommend seeing him.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:38 pm 

Tuesday Nov. 26th - Alice Cooper - Raise The Dead Tour - < 10 miles from my place - $50 a seat - just found out tonight - friends says he'll sponsor tix if I drive - 3000seat concert hall in beautiful Costa Mesa, California that I've never been to.

It's a no brainer!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:52 am 

coevad wrote:
Tuesday Nov. 26th - Alice Cooper - Raise The Dead Tour - < 10 miles from my place - $50 a seat - just found out tonight - friends says he'll sponsor tix if I drive - 3000seat concert hall in beautiful Costa Mesa, California that I've never been to.

It's a no brainer!

Have fun with Alice! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:42 am 

I'd go too, if I had the money. Tell us how he is currently executing himself after the show.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:37 am 

Caputh wrote:
I'd go too, if I had the money. Tell us how he is currently executing himself after the show.

During the show he will die by electrocution and later by guillotine.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:21 am 

Damn. He was doing that when I saw him. I wish he could work in Chinese water torture somewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:26 am 

Death by wedgie! :mrgreen:

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:38 am 

But he hasn't got an ass! (So I suppose it would be even more fiendish, MWUHAHA)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:03 pm 

Actually, AC doesn't die during Electro-shock. It turns him into a 25" monster. Frankencoop! And this show is almost one year to the day from when I saw him in LA last year, on Nov. 29th.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:07 pm 

Was lucky enough to see Alice a few years ago, outdoor show in Buffalo for $10, Anvil even opened. It was great. He pulled everything from his bag of tricks. He played here again this past summer, co-headlining with Marilyn Manson for around $25, but I wanted no part of that, with Alice opening for MM.

11/29 "Filmage"(screening of The Descendents/All documentary) Town Ballroom, Buffalo
11/30 Negative Approach - The Waiting Room, Buffalo
12/9 Moistboyz - The Lovin' Cup, Rochester
12/29 Clutch/Lionize - Montage, Rochester
1/10/14 Clutch/The Sword - Town Ballroom

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:30 pm 

Caputh wrote:
Damn. He was doing that when I saw him. I wish he could work in Chinese water torture somewhere.

Alice Cooper: The Gitmo Tour! Watch Alice get water-boarded by the best, you'd swear they killed him!*

*AC actually prefers this to an affixiatingly enhanced sexual conquest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:33 am 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
Was lucky enough to see Alice a few years ago, outdoor show in Buffalo for $10, Anvil even opened. It was great. He pulled everything from his bag of tricks. He played here again this past summer, co-headlining with Marilyn Manson for around $25, but I wanted no part of that, with Alice opening for MM.

11/29 "Filmage"(screening of The Descendents/All documentary) Town Ballroom, Buffalo
11/30 Negative Approach - The Waiting Room, Buffalo
12/9 Moistboyz - The Lovin' Cup, Rochester
12/29 Clutch/Lionize - Montage, Rochester
1/10/14 Clutch/The Sword - Town Ballroom

Out here(LA), MM opened for AC.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:16 pm 

Saw the Trailer Park Boys Dear Santa Go Fuck Yourself show 2 nites ago. Only 2 songs but still a good show.
Even got to hang with the boys!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:13 am 

NicHoLai wrote:

That is awesome that you got to hang with them and get that shot! Very cool!

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:15 pm 

After a very busy and stressful stretch at work slows down a bit in mid January, I see some shows on the horizon that I hope to catch at least a couple of. Stickmen, ZPZ, Michael Schenker, Secret Chiefs 3 w/ Mirthkon (supposedly very Zappa influenced), the Tubes, and the Reverend Horton Heat.

Last edited by KUIII on Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:18 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
NicHoLai wrote:

That is awesome that you got to hang with them and get that shot! Very cool!

Thanks PIB, I actually got many shots, but in all honesty; its not like I was hangin out with them all nite. Just a little while but got to talk to em all, cool guys.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:26 pm 

UPDATE:

March 27 ~ Bob Seger, Rogers Arena
April 15 ~ Prince, Vogue Theatre (show #2 of 4 - thanks to a half price discount)
April 16 ~ Prince, Vogue Theatre (show #4 of 4 - thanks to a half price discount)
July 26 ~ Rush, Rogers Arena
December 14 ~ Fates Warning, Studio Seven, Seattle

Over the weekend I travelled to Seattle to see Fates Warning and had a blast! At first, after walking for an hour all throughout southern downtown and part of its outskirts to get to the show, since transit was having issues, I walked in the club and immediately noticed that it appeared that the sound wasn't going to be good because of not only the 4 pillars in the centre of the floor but the second floor (drinking area) was positioned so high, that it was almost above the stage. It was a weird setting but once the 100 minute GA show started, I was about 3rd or 4th row centre and it sounded fantastic.

Their newest full-time member, Bobby Jarzombek is simply one of THE best drummers on planet earth right now - the guy plays poly-rhythms & double-kick like nobody's business! During one song, their bassist, Joey Vera, took the headstock of his bass and carefully placed it on one kid's head in the front row while he played a few bars! It was completely improvised and lead vocalist, Ray Alder, who was singing at the top of his abilities, commented on it afterwards. Even principle songwriter, Jim Matheos, who has a somewhat sullen personality, was FAR more interactive with the crowd than I've ever seen him be before. Hired hand, Michael Abdow, taking over for Frank Aresti - who couldn't get time off work for this tour, played Frank's lead guitar parts with vigor. I think this show was just as good, if not better than the Parallels reunion tour show I saw in LA (where I bought the meet & greet package) in 2010. This surprised me. Not because I wasn't expecting it to be good...but they were so ON, it was shocking!

SETLIST:

One Thousand Fires
Life in Still Water
A Pleasant Shade of Gray, Part III
Another Perfect Day
One
A Pleasant Shade of Gray, Part VI
Pieces of Me
I Am
The Eleventh Hour
Point of View
Firefly
Through Different Eyes
The Ivory Gate of Dreams: IV - Quietus
A Pleasant Shade of Gray, Part XI
Wish
Monument

Encore

Still Remains (minus intro)

Considering FW are exceptionally good musicians are write amazingly well-crafted prog-metal songs, it's absolutely criminal these guys aren't more popular, as there were only about 200 fans in attendance (according to a Portland fan I was talking to afterwards, that show only had about 75 fans). I don't buy much concert merch any more because I have way too much of it already. But I just had to buy the $40 tour hoodie so I could help them out, as every dollar counts for them.

Late Sunday morning and in the early afternoon, I walked down to the Pike Place/Public Market and found a good diner to have some breakfast and chill, with a good view of the harbour and ferries. I then found a book/pic store with a framed pic of FZ that was from the '95 Ryko remasters promo campaign. Lastly, I checked out the Edgewater Inn, for obvious Zappa related reasons, before returning home...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:07 pm 

The Rolling Stones April 2014 (mutual longevity permitting)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:50 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:

I'm confident you will get there GG and I think Mick and Keith are indestructible. Enjoy the show. I finally saw the Stones in the late '90's and I'd go again if I could afford it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:27 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
Late Sunday morning and in the early afternoon, I walked down to the Pike Place/Public Market and found a good diner to have some breakfast and chill, with a good view of the harbour and ferries. I then found a book/pic store with a framed pic of FZ that was from the '95 Ryko remasters promo campaign. Lastly, I checked out the Edgewater Inn, for obvious Zappa related reasons, before returning home...

Sounds like a great time DB. Glad you shared it. Anything near The Edgewater Inn ya gotta check out for obvious Zappa related reasons. It would be like a sin or something if you didn't and where so close, ya know? Especially during Zappadan, that must have been cool! :wink: :D 8)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:16 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

Sounds like a great time DB. Glad you shared it. Anything near The Edgewater Inn ya gotta check out for obvious Zappa related reasons. It would be like a sin or something if you didn't and where so close, ya know? Especially during Zappadan, that must have been cool! :wink: :D 8)

Yeah, it was! Thanks.

Though, afterwards, since that part of town is very hilly and because I was walking east and the Edgewater Inn is on Alaskan Way, I had to climb up a very steep flight of steps that made me sweat bullets by the time I got back onto Western Avenue...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:49 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
Considering FW are exceptionally good musicians are write amazingly well-crafted prog-metal songs, it's absolutely criminal these guys aren't more popular.

I agree, they are a great band. Symphony X doesn't get the credit it deserves either.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:19 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:

...and a fat wallet.

I finally saw them in 2005. $80 for obstructed view. They were good, though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:28 am 

NicHoLai wrote:
Thanks PIB, I actually got many shots, but in all honesty; its not like I was hangin out with them all nite. Just a little while but got to talk to em all, cool guys.

Yeah, really wanted to go myself here in Chicago but couldn't justify shelling out the dough when the antics would be near what I could catch on the boob tube for free. Now if I knew I'd get to hang with them, that'd be a different story! :mrgreen:

Image Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 57  Next