Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 39  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:02 pm 

Amd then, suddenly...

xxx

the barfies

ps: Your next email from us concerns Roxy By Proxy ship date for January 2014. And Thank You!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:24 am 

I'll be 82 in January 2041

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:42 am 

Never apologise, never explain seems to be the ZFT bizniss model. Despite what I said a couple of days ago I'm going to cancel RBP today and substitute it with 'Token' I'm tired of waiting for RT2.
At least I should receive those by mid January, I can reorder RBP if it ever actually gets released.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:43 am 

Buckalos wrote:
but it shouldn't be unreasonable for them to provide updates for the fans that have gone to the trouble of seeking out FZ's music and are now feeling unappreciated.

That's a separate issue!
And now we have a download that I can not acquire.
But of course I can, I just have to go through some difficulty.
Or do I wait for the dvd where this will in all probability be a bonus feature?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:47 am 

just plain doug wrote:
NewJPage wrote:
Frank isn't boutique or obscure. In the grand scheme of things he is INSANELY popular.

And yet, 2 months ago I mentioned to a couple of the people with whom I work that I met my wife on the Zappa.com forum, and was then asked "Who, or what, is a Zappa?"
The questioner was born in the '80s.

On the flip side, around the year 2000 a young record store clerk hipster told me:
"I am surprised that the Zappa's did such a good job keeping his name out there.
I thought that after he died he would just fade away."

The fanbase is too emotionally involved to have a clear idea of things.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:54 am 

brainpang wrote:
Buckalos wrote:
but it shouldn't be unreasonable for them to provide updates for the fans that have gone to the trouble of seeking out FZ's music and are now feeling unappreciated.

That's a separate issue!

...wut? How?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:33 am 

'cause we were talking about pricing and method of delivery, not shitty customer service.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:22 am 

just plain doug wrote:
NewJPage wrote:
Frank isn't boutique or obscure. In the grand scheme of things he is INSANELY popular.

And yet, 2 months ago I mentioned to a couple of the people with whom I work that I met my wife on the Zappa.com forum, and was then asked "Who, or what, is a Zappa?"
The questioner was born in the '80s.

If you look at my next sentence..." ZFT has, however, done its best to relegate him to obscurity by doing zero to promote any of his posthumous releases"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:24 am 

brainpang wrote:
'cause we were talking about pricing and method of delivery, not shitty customer service.

I was talking about shitty pricing, shitty method of delivery, and shitty customer service :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:51 am 

NewJPage wrote:
brainpang wrote:

I was talking about shitty pricing, shitty method of delivery, and shitty customer service :mrgreen:

Ha! Ya cracked me up. Have a nice close to the year.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:24 am 

brainpang wrote:

Shitty Pricing + Shitty Delivery Methods = Shitty Customer Service

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:50 am 

Buckalos wrote:
brainpang wrote:

Shitty Pricing + Shitty Delivery Methods = Shitty Customer Service

by "method of delivery" I meant cd, vinyl, download.
there's lots to be said about "shitty delivery methods," tho'. as in their mail order service.
if that is what you mean.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:29 pm 

delivery by owl.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:43 pm 

Phlakaton wrote:
delivery by owl.

Hell, I'd pay extra for that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:27 pm 

This has been a clever trick by the ZFT to distract us from the fact that Dance Me This still hasn't been released, and was not released in time for the 20th anniversary of Zappa's passing.

Gail Zappa, zappa.com, November 2010
Dance Me This and The Rage And The Fury should be out by 2012.

Gail Zappa, zappa.com, March 28, 2012
Within the year from now.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:42 pm 

Zappa Time wrote:
This has been a clever trick by the ZFT to distract us from the fact that Dance Me This still hasn't been released, and was not released in time for the 20th anniversary of Zappa's passing.

SUDDEN CLARITY!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:01 pm 

Gail Zappa, zappa.com, November 2010
Dance Me This and The Rage And The Fury should be out by 2012.

Gail Zappa, zappa.com, March 28, 2012
Within the year from now.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:20 pm 

You guys are cracking me up. Funny pics! I can understand why folks are frustrated. I'm glad I didn't preorder. I'll continue to spend my money on the other Zappa releases I don't have yet, and get Roxy when it's finally released. Both Road Tapes and the Token Soundtrack should arrive tomorrow.

:smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:03 pm 

brainpang wrote:
Mr_Heartbreak wrote:
The ZFT business model is beyond outdated. It is not 1979 anymore. Most people these days obtain music either by finding a free download online (i.e., stealing it) or by paying for a download of files. People who want an artifact like a CD can buy stuff at a discount, even if it's brand new and unopened. My point: customers are doing a company a favor by purchasing a product like a new CD. At $21.12, this as-yet-unavailable product is priced exorbitantly,

You are obviously not a collector and not into anything too obscure. Vinyl & CD packages are pumped out at an alarming rate, loads of great stuff both new and archival, pretty much all unavailable as downloads, all in the cost neighborhood of ZFT releases. Go ahead and buy 2 or 3 shitty (heh heh) ten dollar downloads, I will gladly pay 30 USD for one FZ package.

How you are able to extrapolate that from my post is beyond me. Actually, I am a collector, and I do have many, many obscurities in my rather large collection. I don't know what you are buying, but if you think $21.12 is an average price for a new CD, I have some Florida real estate you might be interested in. :mrgreen:

I don't actually spend a lot on shitty downloads, but I do buy CDs sometimes. I just bought a double CD set for $16 and a 6-CD set for $35. These are nationally known acts. Of course, I am willing to spend more on Frank. However, if it doesn't actually get shipped...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:29 am 

Manking an "illegal" download would be, at the most, piracy (arguably, not even that, if you don't intend financial profit over ir), never stealing...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:44 am 

Mr_Heartbreak wrote:

How you are able to extrapolate that from my post is beyond me. Actually, I am a collector, and I do have many, many obscurities in my rather large collection. I don't know what you are buying, but if you think $21.12 is an average price for a new CD, I have some Florida real estate you might be interested in. :mrgreen:

I don't actually spend a lot on shitty downloads, but I do buy CDs sometimes. I just bought a double CD set for $16 and a 6-CD set for $35. These are nationally known acts. Of course, I am willing to spend more on Frank. However, if it doesn't actually get shipped...

It was easy to extrapolate. If you are into releases by boutique outfits, like the zft, then you would know what I am talking about. Do tell, what are the releases you cite above? I could list loads of pricey items as well as cheap ones, too. That's meaningless. Need to narrow it down.

Did you score a copy of the Jeff Simmons 2cd set of Lucille/Naked? About 70 minutes of music (plus some unrelated bonus stuff that I won't count). Priced around 26.00 plus ship.

ps obscure/limited things are often priced high to combat speculators. I think that is a good thing.

Last edited by brainpang on Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:48 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Manking an "illegal" download would be, at the most, piracy (arguably, not even that, if you don't intend financial profit over ir), never stealing...

but the 'owners' consider it lost income therefore: stealing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:06 am 

I had a thought - what if all the people who haven't cancelled their preorder get some kind of cool bonus in the shipment. Har har.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:35 am 

Don't know why anyone takes a promised release date as gospel. My dad used to answer our questions of "how long until we get there" with 5 minutes. It took me a while to realize he said it no matter how long it was going to take. Eventually, I stopped asking, and yet we would still arrive.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:28 am 

citizensmurf wrote:
Don't know why anyone takes a promised release date as gospel. My dad used to answer our questions of "how long until we get there" with 5 minutes. It took me a while to realize he said it no matter how long it was going to take. Eventually, I stopped asking, and yet we would still arrive.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 39  Next