Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Cheepnis
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:46 am 

For those who want to buy it but can't due to geographical restrictions:

http://www.cultofmac.com/43040/get-a-u-s-itunes-account-anywhere-in-the-world-how-to/

You can create a US account from anywhere, but you can't connect a foreign card to it. Instead you need to buy a US iTunes Gift Card on ebay, for example, and you can redeem that credit to your account.

It's easy
I just did it
It was worth it

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:22 am 

For those of you who are truley independent and use Linux, forget it.
iTunes does not support Linux.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:04 am 

....Or, the ZFT could just send the thing to me for free as an "Excuse Us" gift for the RbP delay!

...And.... Fuck i-Tunes and The Apple Corp satan...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:07 am 

bungles wrote:
ok im not seeing any video only audio using itunes/quicktime to view
update quicktime it will work thats what i did :)
This 10 min Documentary is a pure Zappa delight. Like trendy said its a great day starter. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:16 pm 

F.Natural wrote:
For those of you who are truley independent and use Linux, forget it.

Linux? Hahahahahahahahahah

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:08 pm 

I gave this a second visual and audio listen today. I remain amazed by FZs creative process of producing overdubs onto live material. In this case it goes a bit further, where Frank wants the studio audience to sing along with the background parts that were written for Debbie Wilson and Linda Sims.

In similar fashion to FZ sight reading the vocal part for The Girl Wants To Fix Him Some Broth in The True Story of 200 Motels , in the Cheepnis Movie Frank sight reads Debbie Wilson and Linda Sims Background parts. It''s clear that there are written parts that never made it into the LP version of Roxy & Elsewhere. Frank's diction is very much in the same manner as stated above but it is ever more-so doo-wop monster regalia on Zappa classical steroids. Some might call this "Musical Theatre" but I tend to think that Frank Zappa was conducting his band as he would conduct an orchestra.To see Frank conduct those background vocals. There is so very much more involved in the composition that has been overlooked for the last 40 years. It's difficult to read the physical notes that Debbie and Linda are working from but a fine-toothed analysis would be needed for all to join in.

It's taken 40 years for some of the production elements to make it's way through this film, but Frank wanted us not only to hear more, and but also, Yes!, do more by playing our parts as studio audience contestant background vocalists. Take a que from Frank. Take a look at the music parts, you know, the "background contestant vocals" that were written out for Ikettes Debbie Wilson and Linda Sims, it's all there in the film. Get out the eye-liner, you too can get up from behind the cardboard rock and be a Zomby Hairdoo contestant, or maybe a chemistry lady with a roll away mind, and but also, a roll away hairdo. It's the wildest monster movie sing along in the history of music.

"Now for those of you in the audience who have already seen the musical parts that we are going to be working on tonight, when you see these parts come in, or when you hear them come into the arrangement feel free to sing right along with us, because, this sort of entertainment is wholesome and it's good for the entire family." - Frank Zappa

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:54 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
I gave this a second visual and audio listen today. I remain amazed by FZs creative process of producing overdubs onto live material.
[/i][/b]

Just had another watch and listen, i can 100% say there is no overdubbing of live material going on there, the parts played in the studio are 100% a studio performance.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:42 pm 

Yes, this is a studio version. Sounds like FZ may have used a few bits of the song from this studio recording, and others from the Roxy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:36 am 

mistrijah wrote:
Just had another watch and listen, i can 100% say there is no overdubbing of live material going on there, the parts played in the studio are 100% a studio performance.

The overdubs on Roxy & Elsewhere are not as distinct as they are on Sheik Yerbouti. On the Roxy & Elsewhere LP Frank did use overdubs for Cheepnis, but how much is still in question. To me it sounds like some parts from the Cheepnis Movie were used as overdubs. When we hear the raw live footage in the film I think we'll get a better idea, but the process of how FZ worked with overdubs is more-so what is revealed here. Frank may have taken any given part of any given studio track and used it as an overdub. I believe Frank had more overdub recording takes than what we see in the Cheepnis Movie, we get two takes here, there are additional background vocal roles credited on the LP, but the film shows me more about how FZ worked than getting hit with an ice-pick in the forehead of background vocals that did or did not appear in the LP. The film has so many levels of Frank's creativity. Being it's the holidays, the sing-along part is yet another level of FZs creativity. Some of those charted parts that never made it into the LP version, that's very much in the creativity realm of how FZ was writing his orchestral score for 200 Motels.

"Now for those of you in the audience who have already seen the musical parts that we are going to be working on tonight, when you see these parts come in, or when you hear them come into the arrangement feel free to sing right along with us, because, this sort of entertainment is wholesome and it's good for the entire family." - Frank Zappa

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:26 am 

this is probably one of THE most amazing things we have ever got to witness. i wonder how many total hours of footage there is from Bolic.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:36 am 

In fact there are distinct overdubs on R&E, particularly the multitracked Napoleon vocals on a few songs. What is less clear with the present data is whether FZ edited between live and studio takes as may have happened on "Cheepnis."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:43 am 

pbuzby wrote:
In fact there are distinct overdubs on R&E, particularly the multitracked Napoleon vocals on a few songs. What is less clear with the present data is whether FZ edited between live and studio takes as may have happened on "Cheepnis."

i agree that this may be the case. there are some parts in the video that sound exactly like what's on R&E and lots of other parts that don't.

either way this is totally fucking amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:45 am 

pbuzby wrote:

I would agree that some of the overdub parts are clear but in comparison to Sheik Yerbouit not quite as distinct. FZs process deserves a larger look. I would love to see special projects that push the envelope on audio documentary. Whatever video footage exists only further enhances the documentary. Roxy & Elsewhere and Sheik Yerbouti both deserve a Project Object extravaganza that boldly goes where no audio documentary has ever gone before. Sure the Classic Albums productions give us an inside studio look at classic records but I'd like to see some of the fader control get down to the home consumer. For copyright issues artists can have a little bleed in the tracks to help protect copyright infringement of specific tracking from records.

There are bands that are putting out Jammit tracks. Far too many artists to name, but folks can take a look.
http://www.jammit.com/artists

Some really remarkable stuff, Billy Cobham Spectrum. Where given instrumentation can be manipulated for a musician to learn and play along with. I bring up Jammit as a general format, but I would think that a documentary based project could be produced where the overdubs can be isolated from the live tapes. The listener would be able to fade in and out the overdubs. From a perspective of understanding what the composer was doing the whole Jammit model can be taken to the next level. How Frank worked in the studio, the entire overdub process is deserved of detailed analysis.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:08 am 

I'd like to put Trendy on Jammit and fade him the fuck out completely.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:03 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
Where given instrumentation can be manipulated for a musician to learn and play along with.

It's like handing out secret recipes. Killing the mystery.
Soon everyone will be able to play like Billy Cobham and we wont need him anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:53 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:

Listenning to a separate track, seeing a chart, or seeing a musician play - "kills the mystery"?... Hey, it is not a new-age magic, but MUSIC, that is much stronger than to be "killed" by the truth (!). There is not any "secret" here - excapt the ability to create something. Seeing the details,seeing the way something is born alwayd ADDS more to my experience, my enjoyment.

downer mydnyte wrote:
Soon everyone will be able to play like Billy Cobham and we wont need him anymore.

Well, you seem to make a mistake of believeing that seeing a ("secret"?..) recipe is to be able to create the same thing. No. Being able to play like anyone needs the ability, the practice, the enthusiasm, the work. Life will not change because of a few words, or any "secrets".

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:29 am 

why is it not possible to make this available for fans outside "G's own country"????

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:17 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:

Samantha Stevens is not going to twinkle her nose and make anyone play drums like Billy Cobham.
It takes lots of work to perform at a given level. Modern educational tools like Jammit are just aids in the educational process.
More times than not, Secret Recipies are a mystery curtain with little to nothing behind it.
The finest chefs of all time have passed down their craft to stagieres who work for no wage except learning the craft.
These stagieres work thousands of hours for no wage, their payday is working with a master chef where one day they have a career
based on specific knowledge learned in a long lasting tradition in the culinary arts. Any chef needs to not only put in the time to develop the skills but they need to have the necessary artisan ingredients to get the recipie to come out right.

Billy Cobham's work and time here on earth is to be celebrated. Some humans listen to records and then there are others that choose a career in music. Some whose career goes nowhere, possibly they hold a guitar strap for some other mystery guitarist. In the case with literature, Cliff Notes have done detailed critical analysis of writers who have been writing over centuries. I see no reason why a composer or a musician of any time does not deserve the same detailed critical analysis of his work. Only in the case with music a different nomenclature is used. Moder multi-media computer tools are elevating the educational process.

Where I spoke of detailed critical analysis of FZs work. In no way am I suggesting anyone manipulate his work for their own production. It was clearly made as a way of educating the world of the detailed and unique way in which the composer worked.

So much of the music that is made today fit's into a born on dating, don't drink the milk it's spoiled ideology. While humans of any given period of time may choose to do a critical analysis of the pop music of any day, unfortunately lots of modern pop has little to no redeeming artistic value. Composers and musicians, such as Frank Zappa, when art is ground breaking, how they went about creating music deserves a very high level of scholastic representation. May Franks works not only live in the recorded realm, but hopefully the details of how he went about creating it is is elevated in the educational models for any musician of any period of humanity.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:56 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
this is probably one of THE most amazing things we have ever got to witness. i wonder how many total hours of footage there is from Bolic.

If this is one of the most amazing things you have ever gotten to witness, you need to get laid.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:18 pm 

Soracha wrote:
For those who want to buy it but can't due to geographical restrictions:

http://www.cultofmac.com/43040/get-a-u-s-itunes-account-anywhere-in-the-world-how-to/

You can create a US account from anywhere, but you can't connect a foreign card to it. Instead you need to buy a US iTunes Gift Card on ebay, for example, and you can redeem that credit to your account.

It's easy
I just did it
It was worth it

Thanks for the tip, but I don't think I bother going through at test to be able to pay for it. Enjoy, you fortunate people of the planet who can get access. I am getting to old for this shit.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:52 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
The finest chefs of all time have passed down their craft to stagieres who work for no wage except learning the craft. These stagieres work thousands of hours for no wage, their payday is working with a master chef where one day they have a career

The logical conclusion to all of that is Kentucky Fried Chicken.
Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:24 am 

WOW, what a great film. nice to see that "analog" film's of this time still lock great, so where is the roxy?

but: only download if you live in the usa, so i live now on a campground in la

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:12 am 

Awesome film! Best $1.99 I've spent this year!

(While your principles may come from the right place being all anti-Apple, is $2 really gonna kill ya? You're missing out on this one.... ) :wink:

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:00 am 

Hi,

Maybe one of you lucky guys cound upload the movie on some file sharing server and give us the download link? This way, everyone would be allowed to see it with no country restriction. Saving a couple of dollars is not the point here.

J'ai dit une connerie, là ? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:01 am 

Grenouille wrote:
Hi,

Maybe one of you lucky guys cound upload the movie on some file sharing server and give us the download link? This way, everyone would be allowed to see it with no country restriction. Saving a couple of dollars is not the point here.

J'ai dit une connerie, là ? :mrgreen:

Oui tu déconne mais ca coute rien d'essayer :P