Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:20 am 

I just bought this album, it's good listening and also very interesting. In particular hearing the pre overdub version of Waka/Jawaka gives a great deal of insight into how Zappa constructed some of his pieces.

I've noticed that two of the tracks, Chunga Basement and Waka/Jawaka have no centre speaker, does anybody have any info about why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:18 am 

5.1 systems did not exist in 1971 when the original tape was made.
In order to fit on the DVD format which manages more speakers, it has to be remixed.
Another interesting thing is that the LFE track might be blank so you should not hear anything coming from your subwoofer if you have one (note that it also depends on your amplifier settings).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:46 am 

the LFE track is indeed blank on quadiophiliac but most subs when handling a low frequency just play everything under a certain frequency as a sub track.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:25 pm 

Grimpoteuthis wrote:
the LFE track is indeed blank on quadiophiliac but most subs when handling a low frequency just play everything under a certain frequency as a sub track.

True. But for instance the cutoff frequency on my system is set to 60hz and nothing comes out on my subwoofer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:12 am 

I'm still waiting for a way to get the fucking stereo tracks burnt onto a CD! :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:11 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
I'm still waiting for a way to get the fucking stereo tracks burnt onto a CD! :x

There's been one for a long time... I've seen special programmes for it, but they're so expensive you'd best try to find a friend who's not so good at economising.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:00 am 

my dvd player is sort of working again so I thought I'd give this one a whirl to see if my ears have improved.
Of course, I do not have a 5.1 surround system, my buddy does around the block. So I open the door, to get some sunshine, select the stereo option and away we go.

tsk, it's too short. I move a set of speakers into the other room and position the woofer on the other side of the door, turn it way up and start playing with the balance control: as *I* am positioned farther away from the other set of speakers, I turn them up a bit to compensate for my location while rubbing two sticks together.

next, I put a slider in (wire a basic hand-held pair of slides into the speaker wire) to control the output of each set of stereo speakers. Play it that way and run around the room looking for the little bits from the mix, here and there, adjusting the slides, the balance and drinkng peaberry coffee, with socks on, on hardwood floors, and a space heater.

then, I put a tape in. check all the 'levels' with midpoint snatches of each selection, run around some more and push record on the tape player. then play on the dvd. pretty good. still don't like drooling midrange accountants, I'd be happier with frank talking in one channel and the electronic music in another and the vibraphone in another . . . . but I have learned a little about how Venusian time bandits was done as a result of these experiments and so feel better about it somehow and the knick knack bits get better and better!!!!!
then I put another tape in and reset the levels on all the sliders and balance. push rec and play and try't again.

once I do these a couple more times, then I'll listen to the tapes and see if I can hear much of a difference.
All so that the next time I wanna hear this, I can play all the tapes at once (!!!!!!!!) at some party or something and make another experiment !!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:02 am 

Bumpetee bump!

Today I played Quad for like the third time or so, considering using the TV to listen to music is a pain in the neck, and it chuffed me to hear how poor the sound quality was on it. This time I ran it through VCL on the computer, there's a lot of hiss and the mix seems poor. Never had any sound problems with my hardware except for the occasional soundcard crash, always enjoyed the audio of other DVDs to the fullest...
Could it be the NTSC vs PAL thing? Is that relevant even on DVDA and on a computer? Is the stereo mix of the album in poor quality? (hooking up my 5.1 DTS player just for Quad while I find quaudio very annoying to listen to: not a serious option)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:23 pm 

BBP wrote:
Bumpetee bump!

Today I played Quad for like the third time or so, considering using the TV to listen to music is a pain in the neck, and it chuffed me to hear how poor the sound quality was on it. This time I ran it through VCL on the computer, there's a lot of hiss and the mix seems poor. Never had any sound problems with my hardware except for the occasional soundcard crash, always enjoyed the audio of other DVDs to the fullest...
Could it be the NTSC vs PAL thing? Is that relevant even on DVDA and on a computer? Is the stereo mix of the album in poor quality? (hooking up my 5.1 DTS player just for Quad while I find quaudio very annoying to listen to: not a serious option)

i say if your not going to listen to this with a proper set up then don't listen to it at all. it wasn't meant to be listened thru the equivalent of fucking transistor radio for fucks sake.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:20 pm 

Agreed!
It sounds full and awesome on my sytem here.
Do you have one of those Flintstone stereos?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:17 am 

jeddy wrote:
Agreed!
It sounds full and awesome on my sytem here.

Ahhhhhh you are to young to remember Jeddy but in its day the Rubble 5000 g.r.i.t was the top of the pile in cave audio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:05 am 

Played it on my laptop, Windows 7, VLC Media Player, listening with headphones. With VCL any movie has come up sounding crisp, CDs sound awesome so it can't be my hardware. I don't recall Quad as godawful as it did yesterday: maybe there's some distortion somewhere and NTSC is the only explanation I can come up with. "It sounds great on my player" or "Don't be such a lazy bitch being attentive to housemates all the time and get your 5.1 DTS player" aren't exactly helpful suggestions. I just wanna know what causes it to sound as poor as it does on my player: if I can't get it to sound good, it's going to make listening to it very hard.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:04 am 

fuckin' waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:41 pm 

I used to have something similar but the hamster died.
You know...the one that ran the wheel?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:37 pm 

jeddy wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:03 pm 

I started this thread soon after buying a new entertainment system. The speakers themselves are very good quality and I got a very good price on them. The amplifier, while very cheap because it was a superceded model, is also very good quality. One of its limitations is that it has default collection of surround settings. I listen to stereo recordings using the 2 channel setting which I found is much better than trying to fake surround, but was using a variety of standard movie settings to watch TV and DVDs. At the time of writing my original post I hadn't yet figured out the best way to listen music that was actually mastered in surround. Funnily enough it turns out to be a toss up between the Game and Sport settings. With either of those I seem to be getting all of the surround channels properly. So, the empty central speaker had something to do with one of the movie settings.

Listening to QuAUDIOPHILIAc on the Game setting it sounded really good. I also noticed that there's a little bit of single on the woofer but only really noticeable when the bass is turned up on full. So I'm assuming like others that this original mix is light on the bass. Although you can hear what the bass player is doing in fine detail without straining. Personally I wouldn't bother dumping this to stereo, it is what it is and only really fully makes sense in surround.

What I need is a new amplifier. I don't need the connectivity complications as I've already got a separate router that handles all my device inputs. All my amplifier is doing is taking the digital audio output from the router. So I need an amplifier that is dedicated to handling a 5.1 surround speaker system, that only needs to take digital audio input and none of the other connectivity crap and gives me full control over the channels and allows me to do custom setups without the defaults for dummies bullshit.

Anyone got any advice?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:00 pm 

I only listen to this album in stereo through a pair of Klipsch speakers on a Harmon/Kardon 3390 receiver, and it sounds awesome. Never really cared to upgrade with extra speakers, even with owning a good amount of 5.1 releases on DVD.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:19 pm 

Great release! Picked up a copy for 8 dollars when Wayside Music got hold of some a few years back.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:27 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
I only listen to this album in stereo through a pair of Klipsch speakers on a Harmon/Kardon 3390 receiver, and it sounds awesome. Never really cared to upgrade with extra speakers, even with owning a good amount of 5.1 releases on DVD.

gee. smart.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:58 pm 

Well, I jam econo :mrgreen:
Funny how King Crimson USA was just released again as CD/DVD, but with no 5.1 mix. Fripp now says live Crimson is best experienced in true stereo. :shock:
With USA, if you have the '04 CD reissue, and the two-fer CD of Asbury Park/Mainz, there's no need to buy this album again.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:11 am 

I listen to QuAUDIOPHILIAc for the first time recently, and it kinda blew me away. It's really good with lots of new material, and the older material sounds even better than the originals.

Gail Zappa, zappa.com, November 2010
Dance Me This and The Rage And The Fury should be out by 2012.

Gail Zappa, zappa.com, March 28, 2012
Within the year from now.