Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Uncle Meat Vinyl Help
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:50 am 

So today I got the shiny new UM LP and it sounds lovely. BUT The start of side 3 Mr Green Genes keeps skipping. New record, completely clean and the player is in good shape. It doesn't skip anywhere else on the record on any other songs. Just Mr Green Genes. What do I do? Is it a fault of the manufacturer or what? i gave everything an extra clean and checked the needle, seems fine. Read something about a counter weight may be affecting it? I have no clue. Please help meeeee.......

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:28 am 

Any chance the bass frequencies of those low Ds are making your needle skip?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:44 pm 

Which turntable do you have?
Did you check the antiskating and weight settings?
Ok, the record is clean, but is completely flat? How does it look like in the faulty area?
One small scratch or an air bublle or even a piece of dirt can make the needle to skate.
Is the turntable placed on a surface 100% horizontal?
Like pbuzby suggests when the amplitude is high the risk to skate increases, if you add wrong settings it would not be surprising.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:22 pm 

stick a coin on it?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:27 am 

I think I'm gonna have to research what all this means. I am a complete newb and should have thought this out before hand. When I'm back home I'll take a look at it. I just had it on my floor so maybe it wasn't the best surface. I just thought it was weird because its only that tiny part where it skips. Its in a small space.

Why a penny?

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:46 am 

Do yourself a favor and make sure your table is set up properly. Go to youtube and search 'how to set up a turntable.' All kinds of stuff on there. Don't get too hung up on gauges and all that, but definitely worth the time to eyeball the cantilever and rake angle and get the counter weight close to accurate.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:40 am 

Yeah I might have to. I have let it spin and ran a cotton bud over the area to remove any possible dirt. The penny helps it seems. So yeah I'm going to look up how to set this thing properly.
My question is, why would something like the skate/rake/pin only effect one tiny part of the vinyl?

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:50 am 

NuclearProstate wrote:
Yeah I might have to. I have let it spin and ran a cotton bud over the area to remove any possible dirt. The penny helps it seems. So yeah I'm going to look up how to set this thing properly.
My question is, why would something like the skate/rake/pin only effect one tiny part of the vinyl?

Like I said it may be the strong low notes of "Mr Green Genes." Some similar passages on other albums cause problems on my stereo. Not sure if there are similar passages in other parts of Uncle Meat.

One time I tried to play a Stockhausen LP where he had some sort of shrill electronic noise that made the needle skid right across about one fourth of the side.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:54 am 

I suppose that could be it, seems a bit of a flawed system if that is the case. I'll do some googling to see if others have had the same problem.

Such an amazing album. But this 30 second hiccup is upsetting. Especially seeing it is one of my all time fav songs.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:35 pm 

Here is one discussion about "acoustic feedback" (the strong bass causing skips issue) and ways to minimize the problem that I found helpful.

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_fo ... hp?t=37269

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:00 pm 

It has been ages since I obsessed over acoustic feedback and the like. But Phuzby has found a great post. I found, when i used to buy these things, that Audio Technica was a good cartridge and a Technics b elt-drive turntable got you where you wanted to go and had acceptable anti-skate and the timing light allowed for pretty accurate RPM.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:10 pm 

IMO, you have two options.

1. Exchange the record.
2. Google the "toothpick method" of removing skips.

If you opt for the second, be very careful and do so at your own risk. I take no responsibility for you ruining your record.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:30 am 

dlokazip wrote:
IMO, you have two options.

1. Exchange the record.
2. Google the "toothpick method" of removing skips.

If you opt for the second, be very careful and do so at your own risk. I take no responsibility for you ruining your record.

If he knows someone who is more familiar with vinyl he might have that person look at the LP to see if there is any visual evidence of a vinyl scar that would cause the skip. Otherwise, I still lean towards the strong bass/acoustic feedback theory. Taking a toothpick to it might do more harm than good in that case.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:22 am 

JUST RETURN THE FUCKING THING!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:58 am 

I'll go through all the options apart from the toothpick one. I just need to work out the skate and needle stuff on my record player as it doesn't seem to have any knobs or dials for that. I'll have to google the make and model.

I got a good month I can return it with Amazon prime so that is still a good option.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:37 pm 

You need to determine where the defect is. Take the record back to the seller. If it skips on his table too, get him to replace the record. If it plays fine on his table, ask if he knows of anyone who can assess the problem with your table. Getting your table cleaned, aligned, lubed and balanced properly is important. When you get your refurbished table home, buy one of those bubble levels for it. When you re-install the table use the bubble level to ensure the table is level. You might want to put some sort of soft rubber cut outs under each of the feet to absorb vibration. That will allow you to play music at higher volume without causing vibration to your stylus. Your records will thank you for the money you spend. Let us know how that worked out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:31 pm 

vinylfan wrote:
You might want to put some sort of soft rubber cut outs under each of the feet to absorb vibration.

Yes. I did this and it cut down on skipping.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:51 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
JUST RETURN THE FUCKING THING!!!

vinylfan wrote:
You might want to put some sort of soft rubber cut outs under each of the feet to absorb vibration.

pbuzby wrote:
Yes. I did this and it cut down on skipping.

jaypfunk, may very well be issuing the most-sensible directive; however, if your turntable isn't exactly level, it could be an issue in the proper playback of certain albums. I suggest to all: Place a level, both horizontally and vertically, on your turntable. Adjust, as necessary.