Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: LEGALIZING IT!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:52 am 

deuce wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
the fucking Feds have come in busting the growers to the smokers and all the almost open shops around :evil:

The feds / govt are somehow profiting from the black market, and see some sort of gain in keeping crime levels high. Otherwise, its inexplicable.
TT

We are voting them out of getting matching additional government funds for the state level feds unless they can prove they are fighting that good old war on drugs up till the end. They are fighting for their jobs at such a low level as to say this will cause children to be slave trafficked???!!! WTF? Without the illegal pot black market, the bad guys will turn to selling kids. These are some fucked up pigs man! :shock: :evil:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:32 am 

Welcome to your new country, The United Police States of America.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:29 pm 

bugler wrote:
Welcome to your new country, The United Police States of America.

We have met the enemy and they are us, so;
Don't make a fuss,
Just get on the bus.
We have a special room for you,
Down in cell block #number 2.
You can betcha' they do too! :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:27 am 

"The feds / govt are somehow profiting from the black market"

Nailed it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:20 pm 

Berlin plans Germany's first cannabis cafe

Councillors in Berlin have voted to launch the country's first cannabis cafe in their district. But some hurdles remain, it's reported.

A large majority in the Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg council have backed the move as part of efforts to curb local drug dealing, the Sueddeutsche Zeitung daily reports. District Mayor Monika Herrmann says the "prohibition policy" of the past few decades has failed: "We now have to think about offbeat solutions."

German law prohibits the public sale of narcotics, but exceptions are possible "for scientific or other purposes in the public interest". The Berlin district apparently wants to rely on this clause when it applies for permission to the federal authorities. But the Sueddeutsche Zeitung warns that other legal issues will have to be clarified, such as who is to run the cafe and how the cannabis should be sourced.

The neighbouring Netherlands already has hundreds of so-called coffee shops where the sale of limited amounts of cannabis is tolerated

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs/news_from_elsewhere/
29 November 2013 Last updated at 16:03 GMT

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:28 am 

Uruguay becomes first nation to legalise marijuana trade

Uruguay has become the first country in the world to make it legal to grow, sell and consume marijuana.

11 December 2013

The Uruguayan government hopes legalising the sale of marijuana will tackle drug cartels

After nearly 12 hours of debate, senators gave the government-sponsored bill their historic final approval.

The law allowing registered Uruguayans over 18 to buy up to 40g (1,4oz) of the drug a month is not expected to come into force before April.

The government hopes it will help tackle drug cartels, but critics say it will expose more people to drugs.

Dozens of supporters of the bill proposed by the left-wing President Jose Mujica gathered outside the Congress in Montevideo to follow the vote.

Presenting the bill to fellow senators, Roberto Conde said it was an unavoidable response to reality, given that the "war" against drugs had failed.

"We have the duty as the state to give a specific answer to an open territory, small and non-producing," Mr Conde said, adding that Uruguay's borders were used by cartels to smuggle drugs into neighbouring countries.

But many senators also spoke out against the bill, before it was passed by 16 votes to 13 on Tuesday.

The opposition member Alfredo Solari said Uruguay should not "experiment" on its people.

"This project envisages a social engineering experiment and respects none of the ethic safeguards of experimentation on human beings, and these are important in the case of a substance like marijuana, which causes damage to human beings," Senator Solari told Reuters news agency.
Debate continues

The project had already been approved by Uruguay's lower house in July.

It had also drawn international criticism. The International Narcotics Control Board (INCB) warned the law would "be in complete contravention to the provisions of the international drug treaties to which Uruguay is party".

The INCB is an independent body of experts established by the United Nations to monitor countries' compliance with international drug treaties.

The historic approval comes amid growing debate over drug legalisation in Latin America.

A group of former presidents and influential social figures, including Brazil's Fernando Henrique Cardoso, Mexico's Ernesto Zedillo and Colombian ex-leader Cesar Gaviria, have called for marijuana to be legalised and regulated.

But President Mujica recently asked during an interview why the former leaders only spoke out about the legalisation of marijuana after they had left office.

In July, without naming Uruguay directly, Pope Francis criticised drug legalisation plans during a visit to Brazil.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-25328656

..mean while, in Amnerika:

In 2 States, Corner Cannabis Store Nears Reality

DENVER — Starting early next year, any adult with a craving or curiosity will be able to stroll into a strip mall or downtown shop in Colorado or Washington State and do what has long been forbidden: buy a zip-lock bag of legal marijuana.

Vincent Graham, a center manager in Denver, helped Mark Paquette, a patient with a marijuana order.

After landmark votes made marijuana legal for recreational consumption, users in these two states will no longer need doctors’ notes or medical reasons to buy the drug. Instead, they will simply show identification to prove they are at least 21, and with the cautious blessing of state and federal officials, they will be able to buy as much as an ounce of marijuana and smoke it in their living rooms.

It is a new frontier of drug legalization, one that marks a stark turn away from the eras of “Reefer Madness,” zero tolerance and Just Say No warnings about the dangers of marijuana. But it also raises questions about whether these pioneering states will be able to regulate and contain a drug that is still outlawed across most of the country — although medical marijuana can be sold legally in 20 states and the District of Columbia. The end of the prohibition of alcohol in the 1930s, by contrast, to which some historians and legal scholars are comparing this moment, came all at once across the nation.

On this never-traveled road, the outcome on many fronts is uncertain: Supporters predict an economic boom in new business activity, cannabis tourism and reduced public expense with fewer low-level drug offenders clogging jails and courtrooms.

Elected officials, parents’ groups and police chiefs worry that drug traffickers will exploit the new markets, that more teenagers will take up marijuana, and that two places with reputations for fresh air and clean living will become known as America’s stoner states.

Other states flirting with legalization are watching closely too, not least for the expected windfall in state revenue in stiffly taxing something that has never been taxed at all.

Referendum drives modeled on Colorado and Washington are already underway for next year in Arizona, California, Oregon and Alaska, and others are expected to follow in 2016. So the pressures to get it right the first time, local and state officials said, are immense.

“We are floating in uncharted waters here,” said Mayor Michael B. Hancock of Denver, where 149 businesses have applied to sell or grow retail marijuana.

Consider, for example, the strangely altered new role of the police, who in Washington are required to make sure all marijuana is of the legal, state-licensed variety. That could make for more crackdowns on illegal grow-and-sale operations, not fewer, a fact highlighted when federal agents raided several dispensaries in Colorado last month, smashing glass and hauling away hundreds of plants.

Practical questions about the legal, workaday drug trade have required reams of rules and regulations to answer: Should it be specifically taxed? Voters said yes, and in Washington even specified where the tax money should be spent, with specific apportionments including the funding of academic research about marijuana.

Can people give it away in public parks? No. Where can retailers set up shop, and how can they advertise? Nowhere near schools, and not to children. In Washington, even the size of a retailer’s storefront name is regulated: 1,600 square inches.

But most important, Colorado and Washington must show skeptical federal authorities that they can control this new world of regulated marijuana, and keep it from flowing to underage consumers, into other states or into the grip of drug traffickers and violent cartels. Even as the Justice Department announced in August that it would not block states from regulating marijuana, it also warned that their enforcement rules “must be tough in practice, not just on paper.”

“We’re already seeing a worst-case scenario emerging,” said Kevin A. Sabet, an opponent of legalization and the co-founder of Project SAM, Smart Approaches to Marijuana. He said marijuana was already flowing from dispensaries into the hands of teenage users, and he predicted the social costs would only mount in the months ahead.

One corner of this new frontier is emerging in an industrial park on the eastern fringes of Denver, where the Medicine Man dispensary is working to be among the first wave of new retailers. The business, housed in a converted spice factory, is expanding its growing operation from 5,000 plants to 11,000, sketching out plans to remodel the interior and placing advertisements in golfing magazines, to appeal to potential customers. Even the countercultural names of its marijuana — Cat Piss Romulan, for example — will be softened.

“That’s not something you want to take home,” said Andy Williams, who owns Medicine Man with his brother and mother. “Maybe we’ll call it Midnight Dream.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/14/us/in-2-states-corner-cannabis-store-nears-reality.html

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:22 pm 

That's some eye poppin' good news, Mr. GG.! Love the M logo! :twisted: 8)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:36 pm 

"The law allowing registered Uruguayans over 18 to buy up to 40g (1,4oz) of the drug a month"

WTF?????????????????????????????????????

REGISTERED????????????????????????????

You mean I have to become part of a data base, so when the government changes its mind and says "ha ha, fuck you, the jokes on you, it's illegal again and you're all going to jail!" I'm screwed???? (Assuming I lived there).

NO THANKS.

That aint legalization.

No fucking way.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:00 am 

bugler wrote:
"The law allowing registered Uruguayans over 18 to buy up to 40g (1,4oz) of the drug a month"

You mean I have to become part of a data base, so when the government changes its mind and says "ha ha, fuck you, the jokes on you, it's illegal again and you're all going to jail!" I'm screwed???? (Assuming I lived there).

NO THANKS.

That aint legalization.

No fucking way.

You must be smoking that Marocan Hash that makes you paranoid. As in many countries, Uruguay allready has a mandatory "Identity Card" system, so wether you like it or not you are in a DataBase. This is the only way to go as far as i'm concerned. Easy Tax money, used mostly for health care financing. Prohibition has cost many lives and made very underserving people very rich. I hope this becomes a game changer. I have not smoked in years, but I know how the business goes down and it's not pretty. In most of Canada you still have to buy your booze in government stores and that put the bootlegers out of business with one simple shot! Call your elected official and get the ball rolling on this.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:32 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
bugler wrote:

NO THANKS.

That aint legalization.

No fucking way.

You must be smoking that Marocan Hash that makes you paranoid. As in many countries, Uruguay allready has a mandatory "Identity Card" system, so wether you like it or not you are in a DataBase. This is the only way to go as far as i'm concerned. Easy Tax money, used mostly for health care financing. Prohibition has cost many lives and made very underserving people very rich. I hope this becomes a game changer. I have not smoked in years, but I know how the business goes down and it's not pretty. In most of Canada you still have to buy your booze in government stores and that put the bootlegers out of business with one simple shot! Call your elected official and get the ball rolling on this.

Thanks for the heads up on Uraguay's Indentity Card System. I did not know that. What I do know is that the medical marijuana program here in the states has a database. And it is NOT paranoid to think that if a guy like Joe Biden were elected president, there is very good reason to think he would act as I described in my previous post. This is why I have not signed up for the program. Colorado and Washington do not require one to be entered into a database to purchase legal weed, just as we don't have to enter a database to buy booze. I would like to know what would be required of pot tourists going to Uraguay? Would they have to register to buy weed? Would they bother, or just buy it on the street?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:32 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
The law allowing registered Uruguayans over 18 to buy up to 40g (1,4oz) of the drug a month is not expected to come into force before April.

It depends what 'registered' means. It could mean you just have to prove your identity as a Uruguayan citizen (show passport etc) to the cashier rather than register formally with a database. And that's the only way it could work.
TT

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:19 pm 

Sounds more like a database to me... They claim it will permit the controlled production and that the data will be not publicly available.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:15 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Sounds more like a database to me... They claim it will permit the controlled production and that the data will be not publicly available.

Along with the cannabis clubs selling your info to the big databases, the NSA gets it, the DMV gets it and wah-lah your pulled over, the cop checks your licence and now they don't care if your drunk. They want to know every thing your talking or could be on. All under the assumption that your "impaired" by something. Small amounts of residue of cannabis in your blood now means your driving privilege are in jeopardy and they profiled you to get it. Your on they're books, already profiled with just a drivers licence ID. The common cold has impaired me more at times and I still made it to work or to the store and after 40+ years of driving & no accidents. Gimme a fuckin' break. The political swing is so far to the right the bastards want to regulate my shit* if they could. Hell they're trying to already.

..and we're 5-10 years away from self driving cars. What will they do for $$$'s then? :roll:

*I got good shit! :wink:

Last edited by KAPT.KIIRK on Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:19 pm 

I dont get it then. Surely the uruguayan situation is to blow the black market away and reduce serious crime rather than create the imaginary pot smoking crime?
TT

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:24 pm 

Self-driving cars will be stopped at random and checked for viruses. If your car has a virus your operating privileges will be revoked and you will be denied space on the freeway. Your car will be remanded to a storage facility where it will await an appointment with the technician. It will cost you a ridiculous amount of money to have the virus removed, more to get your car out of storage, even more to get your freeway license back.

At least you didn't have to hire a lawyer.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:40 pm 

A rope leash wrote:
Self-driving cars will be stopped at random and checked for viruses. If your car has a virus your operating privileges will be revoked and you will be denied space on the freeway. Your car will be remanded to a storage facility where it will await an appointment with the technician. It will cost you a ridiculous amount of money to have the virus removed, more to get your car out of storage, even more to get your freeway license back.

At least you didn't have to hire a lawyer.

The Lawyers are part of the feeding frenzy. It's become a Bonfire of the Vanities at any arraignment hearing. The rich aren't there cause the rich have suits, the poor have themselves. Cops nervously watching everything all keeping the populace in order. It's true in every county in CA. It's a racket from the police to the towing, the suits and judges. :roll: All for pot...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:44 am 

The Marijuana Experiment

By THE EDITORIAL BOARD

On New Year’s Day, government-licensed recreational marijuana shops opened in Colorado, the first place in the world to regulate the drug “from seed to sale.” Later in 2014, marijuana retailers will open in Washington State. As public opinion shifts away from prohibition, these two states will serve as test cases for full-on legalization. Here’s what to watch for in the early stages of this experiment:

THE FATE OF THE BLACK MARKET One of the basic arguments in favor of legalization is that it could eliminate the black market and create new tax revenue. But it’s not clear how quickly and to what extent this will actually happen. Marijuana sold at retail shops that pay taxes may well cost more than illegal marijuana, potentially keeping off-the-books dealers in business.

UNDER-AGE SMOKING When the Justice Department announced in August that it would not sue to block state laws legalizing marijuana, James Cole, the deputy attorney general, emphasized that local governments must employ “strong and effective regulatory” systems. To avoid federal intervention, states will have to prove that they’re capable of enforcing bans on selling the drug to anyone under 21. Roughly 36 percent of 12th graders reported having used marijuana in 2013. From a public-health standpoint, it will be important to monitor whether youth usage rates in Colorado and Washington diverge from those in other states. MARKETING Washington banned marijuana ads near schools, libraries and playgrounds. In Colorado, marijuana vendors may run ads in print media only if there is “reliable evidence” that no more than 30 percent of the readership is under 21. But these policies may not be sufficient to satisfy the Justice Department, which said that it might step in if it saw marijuana “marketed in a manner to appeal to minors.” The Justice Department may not look kindly on THC-infused sweets, like cannabis gummy bears and brownies.

INTERSTATE TRAFFICKING To stem the flow of marijuana across state lines, Colorado has imposed different rules on residents and visitors. Residents may buy up to an ounce per transaction but visitors only a quarter-ounce. Visitors are supposed to consume their purchases before returning home. Despite these precautions, cross-border trafficking may increase, especially if the price of marijuana in Colorado drops below the price in, say, neighboring Wyoming.

ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION A big question is whether the widespread availability of marijuana will lead to decreased alcohol consumption, which recent research suggests might happen. That would be a boon for public health. (Heavy drinking is more harmful than heavy pot smoking, and costlier to society.) But if the use of one substance encourages use of the other, the consequences might be dire, particularly for road safety. It is more dangerous to drive after combining marijuana and alcohol than after using either alone.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/05/opinion/sunday/the-marijuana-experiment.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:05 am 

I'm surprised they are allowing it to be "marketed". I don't see any reason for advertising this product. It doesn't matter that they won't be "targeting" young people...kids want to be adults so the advertising works the same.

The decision to smoke weed should not be taken lightly. Advertising by it's nature emphasizes the good and downplays the bad. All products should have a warning sticker..."causes drowsiness and impure thoughts"..."makes food really delicious and may lead to overeating"..."continuous smoking could make you a pothead"..."waking and baking can ruin your day at work"..."don"t bogart"..."take a breath between puffs, fer chrissakes!"

I am concerned about kids. The research indicates that potsmoking in adolescents causes weakness in developing neurons making it harder to learn. I'm pretty sure this is what happened to me, so I do not recommend weed to kids, even though I've been smoking since I was twelve.

The Colorado experiment seems to be going well, from what I've heard. I wonder if the adjoining states are pulling over people leaving Colorado...Kansas is a long way from home, but I have to cross it to get to Colorado...and back...I'm sure there are many "tourists" bringing back duffles and spare tires. This is to be expected, and I also suspect the Feds will from time to time bust Colorado pot shops as a matter of course.

...and I think it will stop the drinking. I can tell you that many times I've had the urge to get drunk and sloppy, only to have it blown away by a nice fatty. My experience with alcoholics also tells me that it will at least slow them down, make them think, and give them actual sleep as opposed to the unconsciousness they normally fall into.

Really, I never thought I'd see the day. I hope it doesn't go foul.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:50 am 

A rope leash wrote:
I'm sure there are many "tourists" bringing back duffles and spare tires. This is to be expected, and I also suspect the Feds will from time to time bust Colorado pot shops as a matter of course.

You have to have a legal ID, like a state ID or a valid drivers license just to look, much less buy any pot. No library cards excepted! They're not selling more than an OZ. to anyone anyway and only to people who can prove they live in Colorado. Out of state folks still have to have a legal valid ID, then they can purchase a 1/4 OZ. and that's all. No tires full of pot going anywhere except maybe going into CO. to fill the demand for now. That's what legalizing pot will do, stop the blackmarketeers, and bring another source of income for the state through taxation. As this becomes more apparent, the other states will follow suit...I hope. But if your a wannabe Al Capone of marijuana, you'd better watch out for the taxman and feds, rather than the local cops.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:46 pm 

Could you come back the next day and get another quarter? How do they police that? The only way they could really keep you from buying again would be to take your information when you purchase...so what's the limit and how do they keep track?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:46 pm 

A rope leash wrote:
Could you come back the next day and get another quarter? How do they police that? The only way they could really keep you from buying again would be to take your information when you purchase...so what's the limit and how do they keep track?

1/4 OZ a day, per customer with a valid ID. The valid ID is put into a computer and you can't score from that store for 24hrs.. When Medicinal M was first started in CA. and a lot of get rich quick clubs started up, they all had specials for the newbies. I went to 10-12 clubs and had enough free stuff for joining them all to last for a couple of weeks. About 16 grams. (27.3 grams in an ounce) That's all and I rarely smoke more than a joints worth in a day. The CO. cannabis clubs are based on the same system as CA.,with one big difference. In CO. you can only get an ounce a day from a club*, so to go to as many clubs as you can day after day to get enough to transport to where the price is higher and you can make a profit is nil. You spent the profits in gas, food, shelter and buying what you need. Too much hassle for too few bucks. That's the whole point of legalization, to take the black-market and courts/punishment out of the trade.

In CA., I don't believe there's a limit as to how much you can buy with a legal valid ID. Just show them the money.

*If you live in CO..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:28 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
A rope leash wrote:

1/4 OZ a day, per customer with a valid ID. The valid ID is put into a computer and you can't score from that store for 24hrs.. When Medicinal M was first started in CA. and a lot of get rich quick clubs started up, they all had specials for the newbies. I went to 10-12 clubs and had enough free stuff for joining them all to last for a couple of weeks. About 16 grams. (27.3 grams in an ounce) That's all and I rarely smoke more than a joints worth in a day. The CO. cannabis clubs are based on the same system as CA.,with one big difference. In CO. you can only get an ounce a day from a club*, so to go to as many clubs as you can day after day to get enough to transport to where the price is higher and you can make a profit is nil. You spent the profits in gas, food, shelter and buying what you need. Too much hassle for too few bucks. That's the whole point of legalization, to take the black-market and courts/punishment out of the trade.

In CA., I don't believe there's a limit as to how much you can buy with a legal valid ID. Just show them the money.

*If you live in CO..

Are you sure about the ID being entered into a computer? That's not how its done in Amsterdam.

If they are entering your ID into a computer, that means you are in a database and when some fucking moron like Joe Biden gets elected and repeals states' legalization, everyone in said database is subject to a long jail term. Fuck that noise. This will encourage fake ID's, and a windfall for the underground - exactly what we are trying to stop.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:50 pm 

bugler wrote:
Are you sure about the ID being entered into a computer? That's not how its done in Amsterdam.

If they are entering your ID into a computer, that means you are in a database and when some fucking moron like Joe Biden gets elected and repeals states' legalization, everyone in said database is subject to a long jail term. Fuck that noise. This will encourage fake ID's, and a windfall for the underground - exactly what we are trying to stop.

Where I go, with it being medicinal they have to check and verify your prescription to see if your up to date and they do pay state taxes on the products they sell. So it's a medicinal thing. You have to see a doctor to get a prescription for MM in CA.
The Feds have busted quite a few of the get rich quick MM shops and I haven't heard of any fallout from their customer base. The Feds aren't gonna bust everyone for pot if it becomes illegal again and certainly not for past transgressions. It's not Gay marriage where we become automatically unstoned at the stroke of midnight. Hell, if you use a card at Safeway, your on a database where the Feds are watchin' what you buy, where you go & what you doing anyway. Buy anything online and it's the same thing.
Only slime.o knows how to navigate around all that shit and 4ever remain anonymous. :wink: 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:58 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
bugler wrote:

Where I go, with it being medicinal they have to check and verify your prescription to see if your up to date and they do pay state taxes on the products they sell. So it's a medicinal thing. You have to see a doctor to get a prescription for MM in CA.
The Feds have busted quite a few of the get rich quick MM shops and I haven't heard of any fallout from their customer base. The Feds aren't gonna bust everyone for pot if it becomes illegal again and certainly not for past transgressions. It's not Gay marriage where we become automatically unstoned at the stroke of midnight. Hell, if you use a card at Safeway, your on a database where the Feds are watchin' what you buy, where you go & what you doing anyway. Buy anything online and it's the same thing.
Only slime.o knows how to navigate around all that shit and 4ever remain anonymous. :wink: 8)

medicinal for sure. I have heard that. But not recreational.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:05 pm 

bugler wrote:
medicinal for sure. I have heard that. But not recreational.

Not yet....we do have some legislation coming down the pike though. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next