Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 806 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:42 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Tatanka
Is that the Sioux, Shoshone, Crow, Blackfoot, Flathead, Ute word for Buffalo? As in "the girl had a head like a 'Tatanka'." :) :lol:

It's raining! And it's supposed to keep raining all weekend!!! There's already over 4ft. of snow above 6,000ft. It's warming up and the snow level is supposed to rise up above 7,000ft. today and tomorrow. We need a better snow pack than that! If all the snow gets washed away, we'll lose all that water for summer use and get flooded down in the big valley.
This is what happens when you fool with Mother Nature. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:09 pm 

Lakota

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:21 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Lakota

D'oh! Aren't they all part of the Sioux Nation? :?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:35 am 

Not being an absolute authority on the issue, i think it is lakota nation made up of sioux and i'm not sure who else and their language is Lakota. There is a great lakota nation band called Indigenous . From marty south dakota, mato on lead guitar.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:03 am 

From the Mountain Men diaries I've read, all the tribes communicated with sign language but none spoke the same language. Some were close, like tatanka means buffalo, but before the horse's reemergence in N. America, they didn't have a common language or much trade for that matter. The largest "tribes" were only a few thousand at most and only a few of them had that many tipis in one place. (I'm only talking about the plains Native American Indians)

Still raining! Yahoo!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:57 pm 

Well not to nit pick, but I am a native american, indigenous is the terminology, I know quite a few indigenous, and indian they don't like, as for numbers custer found out.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:37 pm 

Custer Died For Your Sins! I read that book back in H.S. right about the time Banks & Oaks we're taking over Alcatraz. I think one of them ended up in your neck of the woods near or at the Wounded Knee Res., where they had a standoff with the FBI. Big doings in the 70's!
So your the indigenous one in the group, eh? :wink: 8)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:21 pm 

Custer died cause he was an idiot that lost all concept rationalization, if you were born in the country you live in you are a native, so... enough of that, i did another rain dance for you guys. ooppps hope that was pc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:56 pm 

Thanks Bravo! We'll take rain and snow anyway we can get it bro! :wink:

I agree about Custer. He was a pompous ass of a leader and as a man too. He deserved what he got after his "successes" in the Civil war. He mopped up after Sherman's march to Atlanta, so he was used to killing civilians, women and children.

I always thought Dustin Hoffman was great as the only survivor of Little Big Horn in the movie Little Big Man after he supposedly tricked Custer into tricking himself into pursuing the enemy. (DH was a mule skinner scout) Good acting and funny about how vain & paranoid Custer was. I read he practiced astrology to.

Still raining off and on. They say it'll take 3 or 4 more storms like this, then a regular season to get us back to a normal rainfall average. Lets hope the Pineapple Express, storm door stays open.
Must be cold as hell in the Black Hills this time of year anyway, eh Bravo?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:37 pm 

Usually not so bad at the foot of the hills but we've been below 0 over 30 times so far, i have to check for little big man on netflix, haven't seen that in years, based on a true story.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:43 am 

As regards Custer, I can remember losing a bet about whether he was General Custer or Lieutenant-Colonel Custer at the time of Little Big Horn. I betted the former, but on researching (this was before the Internet) I can remember losing the bet, after finding a source that said they made him a General posthumously.
If this was the case, it would seem that the US army at the time had a lot of dillweeds in it - who gets made a general after leading his men into a massacre expedition that ends in a totally pointless defeat and the death of all your own troops?
However, I have never found any evidence since that supports this story. Anybody know better?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:01 pm 

i'll look it up but you guys should like this duo from South dakota, many clips on you tube the indian and the white guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t56ATFK_ ... zoRm60C4Wi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:51 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
The largest "tribes" were only a few thousand at most and only a few of them had that many tipis in one place. (I'm only talking about the plains Native American Indians)
Most of them where killed from Smallpox before any fighting began,Some Tribes lived in Tipis some not,Some moved from place too place some not.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:03 pm 

Those are some funny guys, Williams and Ree are hilarious! I watched several vids and plan to watch some more later. Great routines, thanx manx! :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:44 pm 

Caputh wrote:
As regards Custer, I can remember losing a bet about whether he was General Custer or Lieutenant-Colonel Custer at the time of Little Big Horn. I betted the former, but on researching (this was before the Internet) I can remember losing the bet, after finding a source that said they made him a General posthumously.
If this was the case, it would seem that the US army at the time had a lot of dillweeds in it - who gets made a general after leading his men into a massacre expedition that ends in a totally pointless defeat and the death of all your own troops?
However, I have never found any evidence since that supports this story. Anybody know better?

His name was McGill,
And he called himself Lil,
But everyone knew him as Mr. Nancy boy! :mrgreen:

The only smart guy was Lt.(?) Reno, who years later was vindicated for standing by and watching or refusing a direct order. Whatever he was accused of doing or not doing, they gave him a pardon. He saved all his troops lives is what he did.
I always thought Custer was a Lt. Col. and just expected to be a made a general and then president after he quelled the Indian uprising out west. The guy had illusions of grandeur to say the least!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:56 pm 

KK SEE YOU NEED MORE TELLING......... 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v96CBU9MhE
RDR: Red Harlow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:48 pm 

cleon wrote:
KK SEE YOU NEED MORE TELLING......... 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v96CBU9MhE
RDR: Red Harlow

That Red's one mean talkin' hombre'! Lotta varmints under his belt...that don't sound quite right. Hmm. Sounds like he's got the crabs!
Lotta varmints on his pelt, I recon... Yeah that's the ticket! :wink: :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:17 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Caputh wrote:

His name was McGill,
And he called himself Lil,
But everyone knew him as Mr. Nancy boy! :mrgreen:

The only smart guy was Lt.(?) Reno, who years later was vindicated for standing by and watching or refusing a direct order. Whatever he was accused of doing or not doing, they gave him a pardon. He saved all his troops lives is what he did.
I always thought Custer was a Lt. Col. and just expected to be a made a general and then president after he quelled the Indian uprising out west. The guy had illusions of grandeur to say the least!

Hey Kiirk, Custer grew up in Monroe, Michigan, about forty miles from here. They have a statue of him downtown and years ago people were always messing around with it, not vandalizing it, but dressing it up in weird costumes. It was like a magnet for pranks. You would hear it on the local news: "Guess what they did to Custer last night?" People put Nixon masks and Frankenstein masks on it. The best one I ever heard of was when somebody dressed it up to look like Superfly. Can you dig it?
Custer: A Buffoon For All Eternity!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:12 pm 

ReetyAwrighty wrote:
The best one I ever heard of was when somebody dressed it up to look like Superfly. Can you dig it?
Custer: A Buffoon For All Eternity!

Now that's funny! I'm glad it's not become a crime either. :D

Post subject: Re: hows the weather
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:28 pm 

s n o w

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:33 pm 

m o r e s n o w

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:40 pm 

Wellington Weather
Now 18°C

Max: 21°C

Min: 14°C

NO SNOW

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
i'll look it up but you guys should like this duo from South dakota, many clips on you tube the indian and the white guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t56ATFK_ ... zoRm60C4Wi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERRXaxZnNeg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:16 am 

Today: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 75. Southwest wind 8 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:17 pm 

Well, it blew past today's predicted high of 75. It's been in the mid-80s all afternoon! 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 806 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next