Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:01 pm 

The only FZ album that I know and dislike is Cruising with Ruben and the Jets. Can't find any interest in it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:15 pm 

Jankowitch wrote:
The only FZ album that I know and dislike is Cruising with Ruben and the Jets. Can't find any interest in it.

Oh, Stuff Up The Cracks! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:30 am 

Jankowitch wrote:

When I first got CWRATJ/GLS I used to spin that baby 3-4 times a day. Great album.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:18 am 

I can hardly make it out alive with one listening of Thing Fish.... :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:56 pm 

The worst in my opinion is...MAN FROM utopia. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:50 am 

not liking Grand Wazoo has to be trolling.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:38 am 

I'm starting to really really like that album. To me it is at least 75% gold. I used to not think much of TTR and BWTHW but I have been listening to them much more in the last week. Some great stuff on those discs.

I really need to listen to Waka/Jawaka more, only heard it maybe once and I need to finish CPIII.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:35 pm 

Thing Fish....haven't found much interest in it yet..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:09 pm 

downtowntalentscout wrote:

"This is SYMBOLISM! Really deep, intense, thought-provoking Broadway SYMBOLISM. Really modern..." :smoke:
- Rhonda

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:15 pm 

downtowntalentscout wrote:

It's a hit and miss listen but fun overall. I like The Torchum Never Stuff. Especially the NMB vocals.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:25 am 

Location: Centerville - a real nice place to raise your kids up

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:54 am 

None of the Beat The Boots stuff I consider as actual Frank Zappa albums, in the sense of personal discography. They are bootleg albums made that Frank got a copy, cloned it, and then sold it in a very Vengeance Is Mine frame of mind. He made that clear in his advertising of the two box sets at the time.
Regarding his releases, I agree with the folks that find his eighties stuff less interesting amongst his extremely vast catalog. My favorite of his rock albums of the eighties is Them Or Us. I did find Man From Utopia disappointing at first but it grew on me, and I do find some of the stuff on You Are What You Is less than fantastic. But I still love these albums.
The album that I positively listen the least (maybe three times in the near twenty years that I bought it) is Civilization Phase III.
Amongst some of the other albums mentioned, Francesco Zappa is an album that I tend to listen to more around Christmas time. The 1818-Pumpkin Barfko-Swill hot line used to have it on when they put you on hold, way back in the day and I guess it must of been Xmas time, because I somehow seem to make the association. It's nice enough music to have on while you're doing something else. One of the few Zappa releases that that's true.
I also have a problem with Thing Fish, mostly because the play concept leads to a lot of talking during songs and that spoils the songs for me. I basically get frustrated, so I stopped listening to it, and ended up never buying the album (In case you're wondering, I recorded it on cassette tape from a friend's copy. That's how we'd do it in the forgotten world before mp3's). I do like Won Ton On and He's So Gay still makes me laugh.
Last and near least, Lumpy Gravy isn't really played much either, to be honest. There's a version with just the CBS Orchestra out there on the internet, if you can find it. I find that version much easier to enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:56 am 

CK wrote:
None of the Beat The Boots stuff I consider as actual Frank Zappa albums, in the sense of personal discography. They are bootleg albums made that Frank got a copy, cloned it, and then sold it in a very Vengeance Is Mine frame of mind. He made that clear in his advertising of the two box sets at the time.
Regarding his releases, I agree with the folks that find his eighties stuff less interesting amongst his extremely vast catalog. My favorite of his rock albums of the eighties is Them Or Us. I did find Man From Utopia disappointing at first but it grew on me, and I do find some of the stuff on You Are What You Is less than fantastic. But I still love these albums.
The album that I positively listen the least (maybe three times in the near twenty years that I bought it) is Civilization Phase III.
Amongst some of the other albums mentioned, Francesco Zappa is an album that I tend to listen to more around Christmas time. The 1818-Pumpkin Barfko-Swill hot line used to have it on when they put you on hold, way back in the day and I guess it must of been Xmas time, because I somehow seem to make the association. It's nice enough music to have on while you're doing something else. One of the few Zappa releases that that's true.
I also have a problem with Thing Fish, mostly because the play concept leads to a lot of talking during songs and that spoils the songs for me. I basically get frustrated, so I stopped listening to it, and ended up never buying the album (In case you're wondering, I recorded it on cassette tape from a friend's copy. That's how we'd do it in the forgotten world before mp3's). I do like Won Ton On and He's So Gay still makes me laugh.
Last and near least, Lumpy Gravy isn't really played much either, to be honest. There's a version with just the CBS Orchestra out there on the internet, if you can find it. I find that version much easier to enjoy.

In my honest opinion...anything that was done with a LIVE band using real musicians, no matter what their level of expertise at any time is worth a listen or two.. some individual songs are questionable, but on the whole music made by real people, playing real instruments regardless of how it was put together (i.e. Lumpy Gravy, or something like Rat Tomago) is worth listening to more than a few times...the Synclavier stuff to me, when it's samples, put together into music, and just in an odd time signature (for the sake of being in an odd time signature) to me is just a waste! Although the Francesco Zappa album, is closer to legitimate music than Civilization Phaze III or Jazz from Hell, but at least JfH has some LIVE music on it, and some of the tunes HAVE been at least covered by legitimate instrumentalists.. so in the sense that the Synclavier is a "tool" to WRITE music, as opposed to something that performs music sits better with me... But when it really comes down to the album I like the least, I'd have to go with Feeding the Monkeys at Ma Maison. I just can't dig into the Synclavier stuff. When Keyboard magazine put out the Black Page on Synclavier, I was totally turned off...and continued to be turned off by it.

Give me live concert recordings any time!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:50 am 

CIV PHASE 3 has some great music on it. BUT it is great music I would rather hear by a live band.

Night School, G-Spot Tornado and Damp ankles are all awesome bits of music from JFH.

I have listened to Filmore East June 1971 twice now, it's mildly okay but I'm not really interested in listening to it again. I will in the future and it'll probably grow on me lots.

I have been well into his 80's stuff recently though. Them Or Us is a masterpiece. Especially Sinister Footwear II

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:57 am 

NuclearProstate wrote:
CIV PHASE 3 has some great music on it. BUT it is great music I would rather hear by a live band.

Night School, G-Spot Tornado and Damp ankles are all awesome bits of music from JFH.

I have listened to Filmore East June 1971 twice now, it's mildly okay but I'm not really interested in listening to it again. I will in the future and it'll probably grow on me lots.

I have been well into his 80's stuff recently though. Them Or Us is a masterpiece. Especially Sinister Footwear II

I agree...like I said, as a writing tool, I think the Syncalvier is awesome! And if that stuff would have been played by live bands after the fact, then I'd respect those albums a LOT more!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:25 pm 

Jaminbenb wrote:
...the Synclavier stuff to me, when it's samples, put together into music, and just in an odd time signature (for the sake of being in an odd time signature) to me is just a waste! Although the Francesco Zappa album, is closer to legitimate music than Civilization Phaze III or Jazz from Hell, but at least JfH has some LIVE music on it, and some of the tunes HAVE been at least covered by legitimate instrumentalists.

The funny thing is that A LOT of the synclavier music was composed on or played by humans, and AFTER THAT were only turned into the world of the computer. So the "goal" of using the synclavier was never the mere complexity, or making odd-time signature just for the sake of itself. Some examples:

- While You Were Art II - a transcription of a guitar solo (see the Shut Up album)
- Outside Now, Again - the transcrition of the Outside.. solo from JG.
- Night School - was played "live" by FZ on the keyboards (and heavily edited afterwards, of course);
- Amnerika - was played live (and messed up) by the Ensemle Modern;
- Pig With Wings - was written for 3-4 members of the Ensemble Modern as a chamber piece - you can hear them live on the Greggary album;

These are only a few examples, we do not know what's behind a tune, but lately quite a few compositions (symphinic & other) turned out to be a transcription of a solo or other live event.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:48 am 

Keneally wrote that FZ brought one piece in to the pre-88 tour rehearsals that later became a synclavier piece, and that the band could almost get through one bar of it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:03 am 

pbuzby wrote:
Keneally wrote that FZ brought one piece in to the pre-88 tour rehearsals that later became a synclavier piece, and that the band could almost get through one bar of it.

So basically it was a "notes for the sake of notes" kind of piece! To this fan, there's no reason for THAT many notes...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:51 pm 

transformation wrote:
The worst in my opinion is...MAN FROM utopia. :mrgreen:

Interesting.

I have been a massive Zappa fan since 1966 and bought every album the first day it came out.

Likewise with Man from Utopia

I disliked it

I disliked it intensely.

However, about 10 years ago I went back to it and enjoyed it immensely

I still do.

There is no such thing as the 'worst' Zappa album - it is that some are just not as robust and seminal as others.

With the exception of Cruising with Ruben which I have not time for

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:13 pm 

Weasels...
I have better versions of 'my guitar wants...', and I like the LG 'oh no' better. So I don't have it on rotation right now.
TT

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:47 am 

pbuzby wrote:

I think, it was Navanax from CPIII

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:57 am 

NuclearProstate wrote:

Put A Motor In Yourself by Ensemble Modern is fine. Amnerika too, but it doesn't actually sound very different from the synclavier version. I don't like the live version of Pig With Wings that much - the synclavier version is faster and more clear. And some CPIII tracks are not playable by humans - which is the point.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:46 pm 

Yarglaa wrote:
not liking Grand Wazoo has to be trolling.

:lol:

Not 'arf lad

Not 'arf!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:12 pm 

Francesco, and i too have trouble with some of Weasels.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:00 pm 

As for the two trending entries:

Francesco - I say we don't count it. Funny coincidence, easy enough to create etc... I get it but it is not Frank's compositions.

TMFU - anyone who listed this needs to give it a re-listen. There is gold in this here album. "Radio is Broken", "Dangerous Kitchen", and "Jazz Discharge" alone (otherwise know as some of Frank's own favorites) make this album a must have in my book.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next