Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Heavy Fucking Metal!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:43 am 

On there 1.40min Alice Copper reckons the first time Heavy Metal phrase Was Used was for him in Rolling Stone Mag in 71-73.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUm43lGeY5s

Black Sabbath and the Birth of Heavy Metal - On The Road
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emXvynC_jVo
About a hour long,good shit though Wales is on there Sabbath Recorded there in Monmouth i cant work out what music though,Demos i suppose i Know The Stranglers Did Demos There :| i think it's Dave Edmunds Studio

Plook don't know if you know check it out
http://www.amazon.com/Crank-It-Up/dp/B00CEVLHJ6
Anthony Bourge-Crank It Up/Download Mp3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:22 am 

Iron Maiden's 'Trooper Ale' hits the USA

http://www.rocknrollribs.org/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:39 pm 

coevad wrote:
Iron Maiden's 'Trooper Ale' hits the USA

http://www.rocknrollribs.org/

And it is lovely. Morrisons do 3 bottles for a fiver in the UK. it is amazing.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:26 pm 

cleon wrote:
On there 1.40min Alice Copper reckons the first time Heavy Metal phrase Was Used was for him in Rolling Stone Mag in 71-73.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUm43lGeY5s

Black Sabbath and the Birth of Heavy Metal - On The Road
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emXvynC_jVo
About a hour long,good shit though Wales is on there Sabbath Recorded there in Monmouth i cant work out what music though,Demos i suppose i Know The Stranglers Did Demos There :| i think it's Dave Edmunds Studio

Plook don't know if you know check it out
http://www.amazon.com/Crank-It-Up/dp/B00CEVLHJ6
Anthony Bourge-Crank It Up/Download Mp3

Thanks cleon!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:46 pm 

bobby brown ... is this a joke ¿

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:42 am 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:

That was a lot of fun, thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:00 am 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:

The Cookie Monster variations...Image

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:38 am 

NuclearProstate wrote:
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
It was Steppenwolf that coined the phrase heavy metal, sheeesh, go spin some blue cheer

It's also said Rolling Stones magazine said Alice Cooper were heavy metal when trying to describe their music and was the first use of the phrase towards a band/music.

And yes of course. Heavy Metal Thunder....

Also Sabotage was probably the heaviest Sabbath ever got apart from maybe Mob Rules. Great album, my favorite of theirs.
Yes some Sabbath is soft in the early days it seems now listening,i was a bit young too catch them first time around being born 1971.
The guy from Steppenwolf says he just meant "Heavy Metal Thunder" as in being a big Motorbike Oh Well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:24 pm 

Quilt wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
No.

But I like Led Zeppelin, Dio & Dio-era Sabbath and I'm a casual fan of Megadeth & Metallica. However, most of the time, when I'm in a metal mood (no Pat Boone pun intended), I listen to more progressive artists like Rush, Dream Theater, Devin Townsend & Fates Warning...

If you like Devin you like metal!

When I stated, "No", I was answering the thread starters' second question, not his first. I dig some metal but not most of it. And if you're implying that Devin is strictly metal, he's not. Excluding Strapping Young Lad, most of his music is prog-metal. And he's also released ambient and acoustic albums too...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:13 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
Quilt wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
No.

But I like Led Zeppelin, Dio & Dio-era Sabbath and I'm a casual fan of Megadeth & Metallica. However, most of the time, when I'm in a metal mood (no Pat Boone pun intended), I listen to more progressive artists like Rush, Dream Theater, Devin Townsend & Fates Warning...

If you like Devin you like metal!

When I stated, "No", I was answering the thread starters' second question, not his first. I dig some metal but not most of it. And if you're implying that Devin is strictly metal, he's not. Excluding Strapping Young Lad, most of his music is prog-metal. And he's also released ambient and acoustic albums too...

Yeh. You're not wrong there!
I've seen Devin 5 times in the last 3 years-two of those were 'acoustic' gigs-still great, though.

The Retinal Circus was the best gig I've been to. That had a bit of everything. Got the over-the-top box set two weeks ago and it is a great memento of a great night. I reccomend getting the blu-ray, at least.
I have seen myself in the audience footage. A not-so-cheap thrill!

However, I would maintain that if you like Devin you are going to find it difficult to avoid the 'metal'. It's all good anyway, so, whatever...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:45 pm 

Quilt wrote:
I've seen Devin 5 times in the last 3 years-two of those were 'acoustic' gigs-still great, though.

The Retinal Circus was the best gig I've been to. That had a bit of everything. Got the over-the-top box set two weeks ago and it is a great memento of a great night. I reccomend getting the blu-ray, at least.
I have seen myself in the audience footage. A not-so-cheap thrill!

However, I would maintain that if you like Devin you are going to find it difficult to avoid the 'metal'. It's all good anyway, so, whatever...

In the past 3+ years, I've seen him live 5 times, met him twice and nearly ran into him once. And my former co-worker knows him. :P

I admit I'm jealous you got to attend the Retinal Circus gig AND the fact that the DVD/CD sets are already out where you live - they're not being released here until the end of the month.

At the end of the day, to me, it's all music and genres don't really matter...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:00 am 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
The Cookie Monster variations...Image

Here's the Truth about Heavy Fuckin Metal....

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/946342/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:48 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:31 pm 

coevad wrote:
Pope Jim wrote:
Captain Beyond!
Case closed. End quibble now.

Space Metal :)

Sure miss you Pope.

New Sabbath dvd out soon!
http://youtu.be/_cjomffUqCg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:54 am 

Lemmy talks
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/24/magaz ... .html?_r=0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:32 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
I pretty much started being an Iron Maiden and Metallica fan. I stopped listening to Iron Maiden Pretty much around Fear of the Dark and Metallica after the Black Album.

Same here, add Sabbath/Ozzy to that. I have all that stuff on cassette. Recently got nostalgic & bought "Killers" on CD. That's easily Maiden's greatest. In the '90s I got into stuff like Primus, Butthole Surfers, Faith No More & Rollins Band, and those groups opened the floodgates to me for more "underground" music. I had to find out who influenced these guys. So starting in my 20s got heavily into Zappa, King Crimson, and all the weirdo punk bands. Not the cookie cutter-stuff, I mean the real bands on SST, Alternative Tentacles, Touch & Go, etc. The Melvins are the band today if you asked me what my favorite metal band is it would be them. Favorite punk band, also Melvins. They fit in the category of both, yet they also do not.

Metal has so many bastardized sub-genres. A lot of it I avoid, the fashion shit that's factory-made to buy at Hot Topic. Most of what I listen to under the category of current metal today would be the true DIY bands like High On Fire/Sleep, Clutch, The Sword, Red Fang, Orange Goblin, Jucifer, Electric Wizard, Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats, KEN mode, Bison B.C., Isis, Boris, anything Scott "Wino" Weinrich is involved in, Harvey Milk, Big Business, Don Caballero, Weedeater, Kylesa, Baroness, Unsane, etc.

Jazz/prog is my other main listening pleasure. The classic shit like Electric Miles, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Cobham, & Herbie of course. Stuff today by Belew, Keneally. There are also several great current under-the-radar groups in this category that should be mentioned too - Guapo, Fontanelle, Bohren & Der Club Of Gore, The Thing(& anything featuring Paal Nilssen-Love + Mats Gustaffson), Ken Vandermark, anything Mary Halvorson, Zu, to name a few.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:10 pm 

Black Sabbath nominated for a Grammy.

Best Metal performance
Best Rock Album
Best Rock Song

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:11 pm 

Maybe not exactly heavy metal, but from the Frank Zappa Picture Disc interviews circa 1974; Frank talking about 'contemporary' guitarists:

Interviewer:
And the other part of the same article is going to be your thoughts on some of your contemporaries and your people, if you don't mind. People like Chuck Berry?

Frank Zappa:
Chuck Berry? Well, I used to like Chuck Berry when I was in High School. Songs like "Havana Mill" and "Wee Wee Hours" which were the flip sides of the hits that he had - the more bluesy things. His main innovation besides that duck walk choreography was the multiple string guitar solos - the lines were harmonizing because he was playing on two strings at once. There was another guitar player who used to do that named Jimmy Nolan who I had a lot of respect for.

Interviewer:
B.B King?

Frank Zappa:
I don't like B.B. I saw him on television before I went on this tour and he was still blue.

Interviewer:
Oh yeah, I've seen him recently and I thought he was amazing. Keith Richard?

Frank Zappa:
I don't know anything about Keith Richard.

Interviewer:
Jimi Hendrix?

Frank Zappa:
I knew Jimi and I think that the best thing you could say about Jimi was: there was a person who shouldn't use drugs.

Interviewer:
John McLaughlin?

Frank Zappa:
I met John. I think he's a great guitar player and I think that he's probably done a lot to educate American audiences to some aspects of Eastern music that they wouldn't have come into contact with before. We did a tour with McLaughlin and old Mahavishnu, we did 11 concerts with them.

Interviewer:
Lowell George?

Frank Zappa:
There's another guy who shouldn't use drugs.

Interviewer:
Eric Clapton?

Frank Zappa:
I know Eric, I haven't seen him in years and years. There's another guy who shouldn't use drugs.

Interviewer:
Jeff Beck?

Frank Zappa:
One of my favorite guitar players on the planet. From a melodic standpoint and just in terms of the conception of what he plays, he's fabulous. I like Jeff.

Interviewer:
Rory Gallagher?

Frank Zappa:
We worked 2 jobs with Rory Gallagher on this tour and, uh,......[long pause]... he's still playing the blues.

Interviewer:
Jimmy Page?

Frank Zappa:
I don't know anything about Jimmy Page.

Interviewer:
Peter Green?

Frank Zappa:
I don't know him either.

Interviewer:
Jerry Garcia?

Frank Zappa:
We did one concert with Garcia on this tour but we were the opening act and I didn't see any of his set.

Interviewer:
Pete Townshend?

Frank Zappa:
I've met Pete but I don't know what I can say about his guitar playing.

Interviewer:
Robert Fripp?

Frank Zappa:
I've never heard a Robert Fripp record.

Interviewer:
Ritchie Blackmore?

Frank Zappa:
I have met Ritchie too, and..... I'm not really familiar with the work of these people because you have to understand I'm not a pop consumer and I don't listen to a lot of these.

Interviewer:
[What do you listen to?]

Frank Zappa:
Well, what I do is I take cassettes with me on the road because sometimes you're sitting in the hotel room and you just want to listen to something, but what I take is not rock and roll. I like Chopin, I have Purcell, I have Webern, I have Varese, I have Bulgarian music. I don't listen to Rock and roll.

Interviewer:
Yes, um, Carlos Santana?

Frank Zappa:
We worked with Carlos Santana on Cologne in 1980 or 81 and it was a similar situation. We did two shows at the sport palace in Cologne. They opened the first show, we closed it. Then we opened the second show and they closed it so I never heard him play.

Interviewer:
As you said you don't listen to popular music so I don't expect you know Eddie Van Halen.

Frank Zappa:
I do know Eddie. He comes over to the house because he hangs out with my son.

Interviewer:
I see. But do you know him as a guitar player?

Frank Zappa:
Oh yeah. He and my son play together and he's fabulous, but there's another guy who shouldn't use drugs.

Interviewer:
I presume you don't know The Edge - from U2?

Frank Zappa:
The Edge?

Interviewer:
Yeah.

Frank Zappa:
No.

Interviewer:
[unintelligible] from Big Country?

Frank Zappa:
No.

Interviewer:
What would be your thoughts on the original guitar playing of the Mothers, i.e. yourself?

Frank Zappa:
Well, there's one other guy whose work I know who should be included in that list who I respect and that's Allan Holdsworth.

Interviewer:
I was going to ask you who was your favorite guitar player.

Frank Zappa:
Well, my original favorite guitar player was Johnny "Guitar" Watson, not from a technical standpoint but from listening to what his notes meant in the context in which they were played; and also Guitar Slim who was the first guitar player that I ever heard that had distortion - even during the 50s. In a strange way I think I probably derive more of my style from his approach to the guitar from the solos that I heard then.

TT

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:07 pm 

At least he liked Jeff :) I was at this Cologne show, june 1980. Sadly they didn't jam together.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:22 am 

Hi!

I´m into metal (thrash metal mainly although I listen to all kind of stuff), and I also love Frank´s music. To me it´s the greatest musician of all times, always searching for something new and self-confident enough to dare to explore new sounds with no regret, not caring for the money and not caring for anything at all. I don´t know, but when I try to explain what Frank is to me or to music in general I always feel insignificant: he did so many things that really blows me out.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:15 pm 

Brian Johnson says Malcolm and Angus have been writing songs as of last March. They are planning a new album and tour for later this year. AC/DC's 40th anniversary tour will have forty dates. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:44 pm 

UFO anybody? It's hard to tell where hard rock ends and metal begins but '70's era UFO was a pretty important transitional band IMO. Schenker was very influential to hard rock/metal guitarists at the time.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:40 pm 

KUIII wrote:
UFO anybody? It's hard to tell where hard rock ends and metal begins but '70's era UFO was a pretty important transitional band IMO. Schenker was very influential to hard rock/metal guitarists at the time.

I saw the 1978 tour. UFO opened for Blue Oyster Cult. They recorded the 'Strangers In The Night' live album from this tour. BOC - Some Enchanted Evening. It was a great rock show. Very heavy.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:53 am 

There's some heavy metal on this disc, to be sure.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:47 am 

coevad wrote:
KUIII wrote:

I saw the 1978 tour. UFO opened for Blue Oyster Cult. They recorded the 'Strangers In The Night' live album from this tour. BOC - Some Enchanted Evening. It was a great rock show. Very heavy.

I saw them in the fall of '78 as well. It was billed "A Day at the Grape" at a football field in Lodi. Foreigner was the headliner. This had to be just before Schenker left.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next