Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:50 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
cleon wrote:
now go play

Should I play against a minor 7th with flatted 5th, or a half diminished 7th, or a dominant 9th, or a dominant 7th with sharped 11th, or should I stick with a mixolydian mode and play against a dominant 7th with suspended 4th, or should I just express myself using the chromatic scale against any type of chord with any combination of chordal alterations? Or perhaps I should dispense with chords all together?

monkey don't bother think your clever when you cant figure pentatonic :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:59 pm 

cleon wrote:
think your clever when you cant figure pentatonic

Oh, I can figure pentatonic. Whatever gave you the idea that I couldn't?

Are you desperate to appear smarter than everyone else? That only makes you look dumb.
I think your intonation is fucked.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:05 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
cleon wrote:
think your clever when you cant figure pentatonic

Oh, I can figure pentatonic. Whatever gave you the idea that I couldn't?

Are you desperate to appear smarter than everyone else? That only makes you look dumb.
I think your intonation is fucked.

Nothing you just don' know which songs are so in your words just a tech
ain't smart when you just know maybe was clever :|

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:11 pm 

cleon wrote:
you just don' know which songs are so in your words just a tech

I think you are confusing me with someone else. I never said anything about King Kong. This quote was attributed to me but it was pbuzby's quote.....

pbuzby wrote:
BTW I'd be surprised if Wayne Shorter played "King Kong" (more likely he did some pentatonic riffing that sounded similar to "King Kong") but I'll check out that recording sometime soon.

When acadian quoted pbuzby he somehow put my name in there......

Downer Mydnyte wrote:
BTW I'd be surprised if Wayne Shorter played "King Kong" (more likely he did some pentatonic riffing that sounded similar to "King Kong") but I'll check out that recording sometime soon.

So... you see, I'm not the guy who said anything about scales.

You're out of tune, Cleon. Your intonation is fucked and your frets are worn down and your strings are old.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:18 pm 

Yes they Quoted not you Get it Asshole :mrgreen: :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:25 pm 

cleon wrote:
Yes they Quoted not you Get it Asshole :mrgreen: :D

You're calling me an asshole and then following it with a smiley?

You're noodling aimlessly up and down the fret board.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:42 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZjAantupsA :P

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:49 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88BMI5bkI-U
Elvis Presley - Always On My Mind - Live Rehearsal - Remastered
Tech 8)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:44 pm 

cleon wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZjAantupsA :P

Geordi LaForge?

Pudding
Delicious

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:44 pm 

@downer mydnyte. By continually engaging with the shit disturber you have painted yourself with the same brush with which you're trying to paint him and have co dependently contributed to crapping all over this thread. Do I give a shit? Ultimately no, I guess, but, JHCOAFB, sheesh ...

JHCOAFB = Jesus H Christ On A Fucking Bike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:38 pm 

polydigm wrote:
By continually engaging with the shit disturber you have painted yourself with the same brush with which you're trying to paint him

I wasn't trying to paint him. Nobody needs me to paint for 'em. We're just 2 guys improvising on a riff and trying to cut each other like some old school jazz players. I was making a jazz noise here! I'm right on topic.

We all paint ourselves here. I don't mind making a fool of myself. If you wanna get serious go right ahead. I was serious when I started out on this thread, but sometimes with Cleon things get ridiculous pretty fast. I mean, he's hung up on the fucking technicalities. Music is not rocket science. It's better and much more important than rocket science.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:59 am 

I think that the tune you both are playing is in the wrong note, the wrong scale, has fucked lyrics and absolutely no commercial potential on this thread. So if you two morons want to play go back into the kindergarden please.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:57 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Music is not rocket science. It's better and much more important than rocket science.
This we can agree upon.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:39 pm 

pbuzby wrote:
As I mentioned above that is a fairly common series of notes to find in a jazz solo, whereas I doubt anyone could accidentally quote something like "Uncle Meat" or "Mo and Herb's Vacation."

Incidentally, there is a phrase Wayne played on Miles's "Shh/Peaceful" that always reminded me of the Weather Report tune "Gibraltar" from a few years later. Again a pentatonic lick.

What's interesting is that I used to think there's a "King Kong" quote in "Dickie's Such an Asshole", after the line "two plus two is twenty two". But then, it may be just a b-minor pentatonic line. However, it is said there's a "Billy the Mountain" quote. I guess BTM main melody is indeed a tad less generic. Is it at the "Dickie's just too tricky" line?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:41 pm 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
However, it is said there's a "Billy the Mountain" quote. I guess BTM main melody is indeed a tad less generic. Is it at the "Dickie's just too tricky" line?

Yes. I was surprised by this too, but there are rehearsal tapes from 1981 where Zappa says that this is a reference to "Billy was a mountain."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:53 pm 

pbuzby wrote:
However, it is said there's a "Billy the Mountain" quote. I guess BTM main melody is indeed a tad less generic. Is it at the "Dickie's just too tricky" line?

Yes. I was surprised by this too, but there are rehearsal tapes from 1981 where Zappa says that this is a reference to "Billy was a mountain."

You can indeed sing the closing line "Dickie's such an asshole" to the melody of the line "Billy was a mountain" (preceding "Ethel was a tree growing on top of his shoulder") - and this is what Napoleon did at least in 1973. I've heard that track mostly on the YCDTOSA sampler and haven't checked if it's less distinct on the other issued versions.

Also, check out this youtube clip around 7.40 --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEL9CuQ_G-A

Last edited by DC Boogie on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:00 am 

DC Boogie wrote:
pbuzby wrote:

You can sing the closing line "Dickie's such an asshole" to the melody of the closing line "Billy was a mountain" - and this is what Napoleon did at least in 1973. I've heard that track mostly on the YCDTOSA sampler, haven't checked if it's less distinct on the other issued versions.

Sounds right DCB, it's like the same musical passage on the JABFLA recording of BTM too. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:56 am 

DC Boogie wrote:
pbuzby wrote:

You can indeed sing the closing line "Dickie's such an asshole" to the melody of the line "Billy was a mountain" (preceding "Ethel was a tree growing on top of his shoulder") - and this is what Napoleon did at least in 1973. I've heard that track mostly on the YCDTOSA sampler and haven't checked if it's less distinct on the other issued versions.

Also, check out this youtube clip around 7.40 --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEL9CuQ_G-A

I have to correct myself - the finale with the quote from Billy the Mountain is actually cut on the sampler, so I must have picked it up from that youtube clip or another version at some point.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:29 am 

YCDTOSA 3 has a different edit where they play the ending at the beginning of the track (to try to teach it to the audience so they can sing along) as well as the end.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:38 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
polydigm wrote:
By continually engaging with the shit disturber you have painted yourself with the same brush with which you're trying to paint him

I wasn't trying to paint him. Nobody needs me to paint for 'em. We're just 2 guys improvising on a riff and trying to cut each other like some old school jazz players. I was making a jazz noise here! I'm right on topic.

We all paint ourselves here. I don't mind making a fool of myself. If you wanna get serious go right ahead. I was serious when I started out on this thread, but sometimes with Cleon things get ridiculous pretty fast. I mean, he's hung up on the fucking technicalities. Music is not rocket science. It's better and much more important than rocket science.
You pair need too get your facts right all i wrote was there is No Semi-tone in Pentatonic and got shit for it,Pbuzby was saying it was and i said no it a'int then he tried saying some of it is which don't cut it for me when somebody says Pentatonic lick it means Pentatonic :| Sorry about that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:17 pm 

This seems to have taken you rather a long time to work out, Cleon.

However, I'm sure it would have taken me even longer :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:54 pm 

@Cleon Why so strict? You can use pentatonic elements in a composition if you want. If it wouldn't be correct to call the composition pentatonic as a whole, but one of its phrases was solely written using D F G A C for example, that would be a pentatonic phrase. And, if one of its phrases was primarily based on D F G A C, but you threw in one or two A flats here and there, it would still basically be pentatonic while viewing the A flats as grace notes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:07 pm 

polydigm wrote:
@Cleon Why so strict? You can use pentatonic elements in a composition if you want. If it wouldn't be correct to call the composition pentatonic as a whole, but one of its phrases was solely written using D F G A C for example, that would be a pentatonic phrase. And, if one of its phrases was primarily based on D F G A C, but you threw in one or two A flats here and there, it would still basically be pentatonic while viewing the A flats as grace notes.
you think like that that's where your going wrong and DM aint got a Clue,Why is pentatonic a phase when a key is all you need :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:48 am 

Why do I bother?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:46 am 

polydigm wrote:
Why do I bother?

I can't tell the difference between him and trendy, apart from trendy writes a whole lot more meaningless shit, it's still the same shit, so ye why bother?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next