Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ted Nugent
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:00 pm 

Just curious what the forumers think of old Ted. I had a couple of of Ted albums back in the day and he's a decent hard rock guitarist, but oh my god, is there a bigger political dickhead celebrity than this guy. I can't fucking stand him. I don't care if you're conservative, liberal, moderate, libertarian, or whatever but conduct yourself with a little decorum. I've seen Ted twice live, once in the early '80's when I wanted to see Michael Schenker who was opening for him and once in the early 00's when Ted was opening for ZZ Top. I will never go see him again even when he's paired with someone I like. What a douche! Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Ted Nugent
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:07 pm 

I like Ted's albums for his music. I have a whole bunch of his releases.
Couldn't care less about his outlook on life, or opinions. Just happy to play his albums.

Same with Frank Z., actually. I'm a fan of his music, as played by him. I'm sure if we had met, we would not become friends.

I see no reason to allow a like, or dislike, of an artist's character to affect my enjoyment of a piece of music.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:15 pm 

For me it's hard to separate the artist from the art. If I want to listen to a generic blues rock guitarist in 2014 I've got plenty of choices. I'll choose someone who is not a creepy, over-the-top, blatant, wanton asshole. That's just my point of view.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:35 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:52 pm 

Thanks, Mr. Nice Guy. I needed that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:21 am 

Seen Ted four years in a row,New Year's Eve Whiplash Bash at Cobo Hall in Detroit.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:25 am 

KUIII wrote:
For me it's hard to separate the artist from the art. If I want to listen to a generic blues rock guitarist in 2014 I've got plenty of choices. I'll choose someone who is not a creepy, over-the-top, blatant, wanton asshole. That's just my point of view.

And, it's not an uncommon one. That's why burning Beatles' albums was popular. That's why some Zappa fans say they can't enjoy early M.O.I. anymore (because of Roy).
For me, musical enjoyment (or, lack thereof) is physical, not intellectual. If it makes my toes wiggle, and head bob, then I like it. If you have to explain to me why a piece of music is good.....I probably won't care for it.

So, I like Nugent's music, even though he's an extremist.
I like early M.O.I.'s music, even though Roy is a child abuser.
And, I don't like Dolly Parton's music, even though she has big boobs!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:49 am 

To me the best art is reflective of the artist's personality. Rock music is a lot about personality and Ted definitely brings his personality (and his political diatribe) to his shows. No thanks! Taken alone Ted's music is pretty good, I admit, for his genre but The forcefulness of his personality and opinions kind of forces you (me) to react. Roy was just the bass player - not why I listen to the music. It's been said that Charles Manson had some musical talent but I wouldn't touch anything done by him with a ten foot pole. To me, it was also a big strike against Guns 'n Roses when they covered that Manson song.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:30 am 

Ted rules. Fuck the far left pandering jerk-offs!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:57 am 

The political views of celebrities (musicians, actors, etc.) generally means nothing to me. The bottom line is if they are good at their craft, then I'll pay for their product.

In fact the only time I've ever really listened to societal opinions was with FZ...although I didn't necessarily agree with 100% of his views

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:06 am 

I saw TN open for Aerosmith in about 1983 or so. He came out on a vine in a loincloth. He put on a great show, way fucking better than lame old Aerosmith. I have an interview in which he talks to FZ on a radio program reminiscing about the days in the Amboy Dukes when he drove the Mothers van on tour opening for them.
Today, I still like his stuff up to 1980 or so, but I can't listen to him talk. In the 70s, he got a lot of pussy and wrote a lot of songs about getting a lot of pussy. Now, he bitches about politics. Does he write songs bitching about politics? If he does, I've never heard any. I stopped listening once I heard Damn Yankees. But, I don't remember him doing any political songs in Amboy Dukes or his early solo albums. Are his songs political now? I would guess not...

AMG says that the artist's themes are:
Guys Night Out
Hanging Out
Partying
TGIF
Celebration
:)

On Consolidated's Business of Punishment, there is a tune called Consolidated Buries the Mammoth and has these friendly words for TN:

I think the most fitting way for Ted Nugent to die would be choking to death on a piece of raw venison while he's stripping the jerky meat from a buck he's just killed with his X15/498 laser-sighted night-vision crossbow. He'll be choking, lying and sputtering on the ground and his friend won't know how to do the Heimlich Maneuver because his friend will be a big redneck asshole.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:48 am 

This guitar of his is reasonably similar to FZs gibson semi. Conspiracy?
http://static.musictoday.com/store/bands/93/product_large/MUDD1449.JPG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:27 pm 

"I drool every time I see pictures of Brooke Shields...a 16 year old confined lifestyle model...I'd really like to set up camp in Brooke Shield's ass...I've met some absolutely gorgeous 15 year olds and if they're not experienced, within the hour they are...I like 'em small and firm."

Yep, a real stand up guy.

I like Ted's music. I don't care about his politics. Or Frank's. Or any other artist.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:01 pm 

Come along if you can.
Come along if you can.
Take a ride to the land inside of your mind.....

The center of your mind.
The center of your mind.
The center of your mind.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:38 pm 

Leave that senior citizen alone. He is in a better world now:Texas.

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:49 pm 

He's a publicity whore. He's like Sarah Palin without the deep political insights, and Paris Hilton without the talent.

But on the plus side, he's loud...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:30 pm 

Ted Nugent is a pedophile who should be castrated and put on a sex offender registry database.

This fucking piece of shit of a person openly admits and brags about his "addiction" to having sex with minors. Right out of the fuckface's own big mouth - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IAnFI0fMx0

I'm not surprised that Right Wing wacko's support this piece of shit. What kind of stupid fucks promote and support the views of a goddamned piece of shit child molester? :roll:

Ted Nugent on having sex with children - "It was beautiful" ~ Ted Nugent :roll:

He and Roy Estrada should be cellmates. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5k6-r2SStA

He makes Roman Polanski and Woody Allen look like saints - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv2hWYJROhU - take your own advice you fucking lowlife. :roll:

If you think Ted Nugent rules because of his politics, you are an ignorant brainwashed jackass. I lost all respect for this guy long before he became a FoxNews-support-your-local-pedophile-fanclub-NRA wacko.

I got to see this douchebag open for Kiss' Farewell tour with their original line-up (Frehley, Criss, Simmons & Stanley) in the early-mid 90's. Somebody gave me a suite ticket. The whole show sucked. All the pedophile did was bitch about Democrats and express his dislike for Kiss. All Kiss did was rub it into the pedophile's face that they hadn't been an opening act since 1973. The first band was Extreme. I walked out of that concert wanting the last 3.5 hours of my life back. They all sucked ass. The only redeeming points of entertainment for me were the pyrotechnics during the Kiss set and the free food and booze in the suite. Musically it was a mediocrity fest.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:08 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
Ted rules. Fuck the far left pandering jerk-offs!!

Word from your mom's box, and your daughter's, too :P

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:00 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
"I drool every time I see pictures of Brooke Shields...a 16 year old confined lifestyle model...I'd really like to set up camp in Brooke Shield's ass...I've met some absolutely gorgeous 15 year olds and if they're not experienced, within the hour they are...I like 'em small and firm."

I like Ted's music. I don't care about his politics. Or Frank's. Or any other artist.

In other words, you don't care about politics. I have a distaste for politics, but I still think I need to pay a little bit of attention to it and the people that are trying to influence it. Unless you want Ted's or jaypfunk's opinion to count more than yours, you better damn well care.

Post subject: re: the nuge
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:04 am 

on may-21-03, lets_be_fraynk wrote:
Okay historians...Mr. Nugent is 54 now and I recently asked him about Frank on his message board.

Ted replied, "I drove FZ & TMOI in the Amboy Duke Show Ford Econoline in '67 all around MI on tour. Frank was a goodman & genius & damn good guitarboy."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:37 pm 

KUIII wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

In other words, you don't care about politics. I have a distaste for politics, but I still think I need to pay a little bit of attention to it and the people that are trying to influence it. Unless you want Ted's or jaypfunk's opinion to count more than yours, you better damn well care.

It's cute how you still believe the opinions of individuals are more important than money. You're opinion, Ted's opinion, my opinion; all bought and sold every day.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:17 pm 

I guess I haven't given up yet.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:19 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
If you have to explain to me why a piece of music is good.....I probably won't care for it.

I like this.

just plain doug wrote:
I see no reason to allow a like, or dislike, of an artist's character to affect my enjoyment of a piece of music.

Is there any sort of line that could be crossed?

Say you have a 15 year old daughter and you walk in the house one night and Ted is there banging yer daughter on the kitchen table with nothing but his shoulder holster on (and the safety off on the gun!). And on top of that he's polished off the last of your alcohol!! I'd guess you probably wouldn't be cranking up Double Live Gonzo later that evening.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:31 pm 

Art must be judged objectively.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:42 pm 

A rope leash wrote:
Art must be judged objectively.

I couldn't disagree more completely. That's why I think American Idol and it's ilk are such garbage. Art appreciation is totally subjective.