Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 61  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:10 am 

The English Language in ten minutes!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3r9bOkYW9s

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:32 am 

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:43 am 

Here's another good video from the same poster:

Economics principles in 60 seconds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCRNI04tnN8

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:40 am 

The name "calvin" means bald.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:01 am 

There's a sculpture on the moon:
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2013/12/sculpture_on_the_moon_paul_van_hoeydonck_s_fallen_astronaut.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:24 am 

The tune "chopsticks" was written by a 16-year-old British girl named Euphemia Allen.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:09 am 

Oldest piece of Earth found on a farm

A zircon fragment found in the Jack Hills region of Western Australia provides another step in determining the age of the earth, says University of Wisconsin geology professor John Valley.
To put it mildly, this is one gem of a gem.

Scientists using two different age-determining techniques have shown that a tiny zircon crystal found on a sheep farm in Western Australia was the oldest known piece of our planet, dating to 4.4 billion years ago.

Writing in the journal Nature Geoscience, the researchers said the discovery indicated that Earth's crust formed relatively soon after the planet formed and that the little gem was a remnant of it.

John Valley, a University of Wisconsin geoscience professor who led the research, said the findings suggested that the early Earth was not as harsh a place as many scientists have thought.

To determine the age of the zircon fragment, the scientists first used a widely accepted dating technique based on determining the radioactive decay of uranium to lead in a mineral sample.

But because some scientists hypothesized that this technique might give a false date due to possible movement of lead atoms within the crystal over time, the researchers turned to a second sophisticated method to verify the finding.

They used a technique known as atom-probe tomography that was able to identify individual atoms of lead in the crystal and determine their mass, and confirmed that the zircon was indeed 4.4 billion years old.

To put that age in perspective, the Earth itself formed 4.5 billion years ago as a ball of molten rock, meaning that its crust formed relatively soon thereafter, 100 million years later. The age of the crystal also meant that the crust appeared just 160 million years after the very formation of the solar system.

The finding supports the notion of a "cool early Earth" where temperatures were low enough to sustain oceans, and perhaps life, earlier than previously thought, Valley said.

This period of Earth history was known as the Hadean eon, named for the ancient Greek god of the underworld, Hades, because of hellish conditions including meteorite bombardment and an initially molten surface.

"One of the things that we're really interested in is: When did the Earth first become habitable for life? When did it cool off enough that life might have emerged?" Valley said.

The discovery that the zircon crystal, and thereby the formation of the crust, dated from 4.4 billion years ago suggested that the planet was perhaps capable of sustaining microbial life 4.3 billion years ago, Valley said.

"We have no evidence that life existed then. We have no evidence that it didn't. But there is no reason why life could not have existed on Earth 4.3 billion years ago," he added.

The oldest fossil records of life are stromatolites produced by an archaic form of bacteria from about 3.4 billion years ago.

The zircon was extracted in 2001 from a rock outcrop in Australia's Jack Hills region. For a rock of such importance, it was rather small. It measured only about 200 by 400 microns, about twice the diameter of a human hair.

"Zircons can be large and very pretty. But the ones we work on are small and not especially attractive except to a geologist or tweezer enthusiast," Valley said.

"If you held it in the palm of your hand, if you have good eyesight you could see it without a magnifying glass."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/science/9757488/ ... nd-on-farm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:34 am 

Duffman is a jew.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:33 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:

A zircon fragment found in the Jack Hills region of Western Australia provides another step in determining the age of the earth, says University of Wisconsin geology professor John Valley.
To put it mildly, this is one gem of a gem.

Scientists using two different age-determining techniques have shown that a tiny zircon crystal found on a sheep farm in Western Australia was the oldest known piece of our planet, dating to 4.4 billion years ago.

Writing in the journal Nature Geoscience, the researchers said the discovery indicated that Earth's crust formed relatively soon after the planet formed and that the little gem was a remnant of it.

John Valley, a University of Wisconsin geoscience professor who led the research, said the findings suggested that the early Earth was not as harsh a place as many scientists have thought.

To determine the age of the zircon fragment, the scientists first used a widely accepted dating technique based on determining the radioactive decay of uranium to lead in a mineral sample.

But because some scientists hypothesized that this technique might give a false date due to possible movement of lead atoms within the crystal over time, the researchers turned to a second sophisticated method to verify the finding.

They used a technique known as atom-probe tomography that was able to identify individual atoms of lead in the crystal and determine their mass, and confirmed that the zircon was indeed 4.4 billion years old.

To put that age in perspective, the Earth itself formed 4.5 billion years ago as a ball of molten rock, meaning that its crust formed relatively soon thereafter, 100 million years later. The age of the crystal also meant that the crust appeared just 160 million years after the very formation of the solar system.

The finding supports the notion of a "cool early Earth" where temperatures were low enough to sustain oceans, and perhaps life, earlier than previously thought, Valley said.

This period of Earth history was known as the Hadean eon, named for the ancient Greek god of the underworld, Hades, because of hellish conditions including meteorite bombardment and an initially molten surface.

"One of the things that we're really interested in is: When did the Earth first become habitable for life? When did it cool off enough that life might have emerged?" Valley said.

The discovery that the zircon crystal, and thereby the formation of the crust, dated from 4.4 billion years ago suggested that the planet was perhaps capable of sustaining microbial life 4.3 billion years ago, Valley said.

"We have no evidence that life existed then. We have no evidence that it didn't. But there is no reason why life could not have existed on Earth 4.3 billion years ago," he added.

The oldest fossil records of life are stromatolites produced by an archaic form of bacteria from about 3.4 billion years ago.

The zircon was extracted in 2001 from a rock outcrop in Australia's Jack Hills region. For a rock of such importance, it was rather small. It measured only about 200 by 400 microns, about twice the diameter of a human hair.

"Zircons can be large and very pretty. But the ones we work on are small and not especially attractive except to a geologist or tweezer enthusiast," Valley said.

"If you held it in the palm of your hand, if you have good eyesight you could see it without a magnifying glass."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/science/9757488/ ... nd-on-farm

Zircon encrusted earth crust from dwarf nebula?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:55 pm 

How many days in a year was in then :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:21 pm 

Most snakes are right-handed. They don't have hands, of course, but they do have left and right hemi-penises, and it seems that they use the right-penis more than the left, so they're right-penised.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:20 am 

Tsundoku: buying lots of books without ever getting to read them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:16 am 

BBP wrote:
Tsundoku: buying lots of books without ever getting to read them.

very cool. thanks, Bonny.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:21 am 

Studying Japanese?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:13 am 

Been learning Japanese for over a year now, after watching way too much Howl's Moving Castle. It's what made me discover Dir En Grey.

Japanese languages uses three alphabets at the same time: besides the kanji that was imported from China, there are two syllable alphabets: hiragana and katakana. Katakana is used for spelling foreign words and names. Frank Zappa is spelled フランク・ザッパ. The kanji on the Zoot Allures back cover are actual kanji, although they make little sense.
Japanese knows no labro-dental frictions, as in: no V or F. You may find the F in Romaji (Japanese as spelled with the Latin alphabet), but it's not really pronounced as an F, more as an H with a bit of force behind it.

Currently I know all hiragana (some 50 symbols). all katakana (another 50 symbols) and about 30 kanji; and it's still not enough to read Japanese. I feel humble. And foolish.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:23 am 

I'm jealous BBP. I would love to learn Japanese and some day take a trip there.
On the other hand... The Wind Rises is out in limited release with full release this weekend! I'm going on Saturday! :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:30 am 

YES! I'm oh so going to see it!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:13 pm 

I don't have to go anywhere to see Japan. It's coming to us! Most of Fuckashima is washing up on the northern beaches and is moving south as we speak. :x

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:42 pm 

Konnichiwa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:46 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Konnichiwa

Domo BS san. Hi!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:16 am 

Been to Tokyo twice.....It's one crazy city for a 6 foot 3, blue eyed, white haired, barbarian....I just couldn't blend in....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:07 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:

there is no reason why life could not have existed on Earth 4.3 billion years ago," he added.

Just look at my mother-in-law :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:09 pm 

Announcements
Assignment 03 - Due date postponed to 03/05

Posted on: Thursday, February 27, 2014

Many of you voiced concerns over the assignment 03 being due today (2/27). I'm post-poning the due date until Tuesday of next week - 3/5 (beginning of class).

:D :D :D
And it's already done...so I got the weekend off :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:27 pm 

I didn't know that baddy had even given us an assignment. I never got the memo! It's gonna fuck up my GPA that's like, fer sure, fer sure!!! :o :? :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:35 pm 

It's due Tuesday...a working transporter :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 61  Next