Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject: Re: Roxy Camouflage
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:24 am 

Just imagine how you would be feeling if you had purchased The Licence for US$1000.00 and are now allegedly about to be hung out to dry......

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:49 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Just imagine how you would be feeling if you had purchased The Licence for US$1000.00 and are now allegedly about to be hung out to dry......

The License was not about money - it was about love! And that's what the world needs NOW.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:20 am 

Today brings another dose of Confusion.

To recap the recent calls:
Tuesday - Musictoday says the product is in the warehouse and would soon be ready to ship, it should go out this week
Wednesday - The product should be in the warehouse soon and I should get a shipping notice Thursday
Today - The product is NOT in the warehouse and musictoday does not have any information as to when they will receive it. After asking co-workers if they had heard an update, the lady on the phone said she would try to get more information and let me know if she did.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:05 am 

Ask them if they have this problem with any other artist.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:16 am 

Okay, I called as well.

Can confirm:

1. Not at the warehouse

2. They too are waiting to hear from the manufacturer

3. The supervisor says he has every reason to believe it will be at the warehouse within 7 business days. (But that is no guarantee obviously)

4. CALL. Without even asking the rep apologized for the delays and gave me two day shipping free of charge. So CALL. You might get free expedited shipping who knows! So when (if) we receive it at least I can shave a day or two off when I get to listen to it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:16 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Today brings another dose of Confusion.

To recap the recent calls:
Tuesday - Musictoday says the product is in the warehouse and would soon be ready to ship, it should go out this week
Wednesday - The product should be in the warehouse soon and I should get a shipping notice Thursday
Today - The product is NOT in the warehouse and musictoday does not have any information as to when they will receive it. After asking co-workers if they had heard an update, the lady on the phone said she would try to get more information and let me know if she did.

Does that mean someone was lying? :shock:
I can't believe it! :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:08 am 

calvin2hikers "Ask them if they have this problem with any other artist."

Soooooo TRUE!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:39 am 

When I talked to the lady this morning, she asked if I wanted my order split. I told her that I had no more confidence in that going well than with RBP, so better to have one order to keep track of. Well, they split it anyway:

The Roxy by Proxy CDs are not in yet. So sorry for the confusion. The rest of your order looks like it was already split previously and is on its way out the door today. When the Roxy CDs arrive yours will be delivered via UPS Next Day Air. I apologize again for the delay. Please let us know if there is anything further we can do to assist you. Thank you for your continued patience and understanding. Enjoy the rest of your week!

Best regards,

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:43 am 

If they continue these practices it seems possible Music Today may choose to end doing business with them, since they are having to shell profits out of their pocket to pay for the shipping.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:11 pm 

hence why everyone should call. I would love for the ZFT and Musictoday's business to be through. After dealing with the Residents' RalphAmerica and Keneally's moosemart over the years, I find how bad/expensive Music Today is to be unjustifiable. It might have been easy to set-up but it's like running your merch through etsy, Zappa isn't a myspace band and deserves a better digital-storefront.

Post subject: re: joe's camouflage
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:38 pm 

catchin up on this thread here, cd arrived this week; another prime specimen oozes out of the vault, thnx joe

thx to denny for liberating the tape

Image fucking fast shipping, $4 for 2 cd's delivered a week early, solid package, mint++ condition, recommended repeat seller

vaultmeister wrote:
:?: OK, so what TWO songs from Joe's Camouflage should we put in heavy rotation on Zappa Radio? ...
. . double dose of the bandit

sterbus wrote:
I just casually stumbled on this 1975 interview...
http://afka.net/Articles/1975-09_LAFP.htm ...
. . nice find, forgot about that one, thanks

. . zappa used 3 different lineups in '75 plus put the royce hall orchestra together, busy guy that year

buckalos wrote:
There's so much entirely unnecessary BEEF in this thread :roll:
"Sleep Dirt - In Rehearsal" and this new version of "Black Napkins" are, to me, the crown jewel of this album. Perfect placement in (roughly) the middle of the album, to boot...
black napkins will need more listens, didn't grab me right away, sounds like bozzio's playing it for the 1st time, the keyboard weedle-ing away is distracting ... viola solo is great, frank also rips a good one and the good-humor truck outro is very cool

downer mydnyte wrote:
billy da mt wrote:
thanks for putting that version of Downers out, what an amazing song.
I've been telling people how great the 1975 Any Downers was. Now people are starting to get it! Thanks, ZFT.
80s version is sort of inconsequential...
. . dennnny !!

greenhocher wrote:
Do you think Frank ever had to have a sit down with NMB to teach him how to properly pronounce Illinois?
. . he probably told him to use illinoiz, gives it that helen reddy flavor

grimpoteuthis wrote:
...(I am up through Illionoi-se Enema Bandit, how distracting it is no?)... Roy's goddawful plodding ...

The Illinois Enema Bandit - Nothing too new here but neat nonetheless...
the bandit is getting the heaviest rotation on this album, easy to do without the spoken intro, this is a refreshing, down-home, easygoing helen reddy version, would be nice if denny or frank took a solo but it's essentially a new tune with no guitar solo or intro or frank's vocals

dennnny !!

yea, roy [rois] estrada's vocals contribute to this band more than a steady bass ...

tweezers wrote:
...listen to Black Napkins over and over and over...
. . ok, 4 down × to go

pbuzby wrote:
... Napoleon is not credited for keyboards. I am wondering if the ZFT forgot or didn't know about Napoleon's brief keyboard stint, heard two keyboardists and assumed one was Andre. If Andre is there, he isn't playing anything much like what he played live with FZ.
. . lewis on phynoix, reeny ra, downers, brock on the others ¿

g_g wrote:
Road Tapes Two Ordered December 19th 2013 Still mia?
. . a phone call could sort this out, would be happy to give it a shot, lemme know order #

Post subject: Re: re: joe's camouflage
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:29 am 

g_g wrote:
Road Tapes Two Ordered December 19th 2013 Still mia?
. . a phone call could sort this out, would be happy to give it a shot, lemme know order # [/quote]

Forgive my bitching Slime O, I checked back on my order, I bundled Road Tapes 2 with A Token of His Extreme (cd) and Roxy by Proxy....which explains the delay :oops: .....Thanks for the offer of the follow up though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:07 pm 

I wonder which I'll have in my hands first, RBP or this which has a 3/25 street date :?: :

I keep holding off ordering Joe's Camo because I want to order it with RBP and have them ship together. It's annoying that I don't have the new Joe's. I'm past the point of having to have all new FZ product immediately. With all the bs lately, there's no sense getting worked up over it. I check here everyday. When it's ready, I'll order them both.

I too hope this fiasco helps terminate ZFT's deal with musictoday.

Post subject: Re: re: joe's camouflage
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:13 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:

pbuzby wrote:
... Napoleon is not credited for keyboards. I am wondering if the ZFT forgot or didn't know about Napoleon's brief keyboard stint, heard two keyboardists and assumed one was Andre. If Andre is there, he isn't playing anything much like what he played live with FZ.
. . lewis on phynoix, reeny ra, downers, brock on the others ¿

Any Downers has some neat suspended chords in the keyboards that I've never heard in the live versions with Andre, or the YAWYI era version.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:12 pm 

Not to mention, there doesn't seem to be any keyboard parts on "Reeny" at all. The instrumentation is definitely guitars, bass, drums, sax and viola. I think Slime is just being his sardonic self.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:07 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
The License was not about money - it was about love! And that's what the world needs NOW.
Good try Cal, but I'm not feeling it.

Post subject: re: roxy camouflage
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:53 pm 

ed org max wrote:
there doesn't seem to be any keyboard parts on "Reeny" at all ... Slime is just being his sardonic self.
why y'all lookin at me ¿

black nakkins is starting to grow on me, sound pretty decent, bozzio's early take on this is actually quite snappy, just a bit buried during the 1st half of the tune; some cool rhodes keyboard chord type stuff going on, but that other keyboard's warbly mewling is fucked up ... ouch !!

@ gray_ghost; barfko's offering free split back-order for rbp

it just might be what
they all need

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:46 am 

I'm lovin' it, great cd, in some respects a wee music lesson, I've been having big fun playing along to HDYWaMLGary, Any Downers and Enema Bandit. All in all some excellent tracks. I'm hoping that there are more recordings of this non band in the vault....

Oh and of course Black Napkins very interesting to see/hear how it has developed over the years, and how this early version stacks up against the other examples in the collection

PS I was surprised to read Ronny and his Noomies hates this cd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:58 am 

Some thoughts was the Camouflage release done to camouflage the RBP delay?

What is the reason of the RBP delay - they have been pressing releases since the due date - my thought it is tied up in the $ 1,000 investors. Could we all be waiting on the "special" things that go along with that purchase - like the document that says - you are an investor? Could it be that there are a few "partners" out there for whom we a waiting on them to press their copies? At this point they should come clean - simply tell us why the delay - I have plenty of music to listen to - I don't mind waiting - I'd just like to be informed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:38 am 

The proverbial mushroom.

On topic: I think the main reason why some people don't get Black Napkins is due to the basic tension created in that piece by FZ playing melodies in C# Dorian mode while the harmony is rooted on the C#min7 alternating with Dmaj7 which is typically played with C# Phrygian mode. I've noticed in a lot of versions some other players in the band noodling around with the C# Phrygian mode which is sort of interesting but a characteristic feature of the piece is the way FZ used D# and A# against the basically suggested D and A.

You don't get that out of a book - he was adventurous and it paid off.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:49 pm 

Bobby wrote:

What is the reason of the RBP delay - they have been pressing releases since the due date - my thought it is tied up in the $ 1,000 investors. .

I think it has something to do with that too. But who knows what. Maybe an investor got miffed about something and is seeking some legal injunction to delay the release. I only scanned the original "offer" once. It seemed to insulate the ZFT from any sort legal issue that may arise.

I am waiting to order Camouflage when RBP starts shipping.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:40 pm 

Great CD. Black Napkins, Phyniox, Any Downers? are easily the best tracks. I disagree that Downers here is better than the finalized version. The complete song is better, this is like a jam of the sketch. Reeny Ra is filler, but funny nonetheless. T'Mershi Duween sounds like it's on Downers, never heard this slow version before, but it's cool. IEB is interesting, prefer it developed later with the solo. Wish Sleep Dirt was longer.
Is that a young Dweezil and/or Moon during "Who Do You Think You Are"? That's neat that they got to watch/listen. I always thought Frank kept the kids away from recording/rehearsing as that was "business", until they were a little older and involved on actual tracks.
Does anyone know the exact dates of this session(s)?

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:07 pm 

vaultmeister wrote:
AbnucealEmukaah83 wrote:
Nice statement Joe.
Especially since i have ordered both Roxy By Proxy and Road Tapes II on the 10th of november last year and have soo far received nothing.
I would say my order is also too late...

About the link, that was easy for anyone to come up with.
I was searching for more info about Phyniox and thus googled frank zappa phyniox and the 1st link i found was the one with the full album.
Not exactly rocket science...

Also, may i add that i own and have purchased almost every official cd and vinyl you guys, and FZ himself, have released over the years ?
Not a license to go out and just steal everything from the internet, i also know that.

Just saying that despite sharing the link, i have put a lot of money into FZ and will continue to do so in the future...as long as you guys and gals come up with awesome releases.

And also...that link that you guys are calling me an asshole about has at least convinced me to actually purchase the album, so what's the loss ?

While we are on the subject...would it really hurt to maybe put out audioclips online with future releases so people might hear short selections of whatever it is they might want to spend money on ?

Keep up the good work Joe...Any Downers is an awesome tune :mrgreen:

It's also the fact that it's up on torrent sites as well. ALREADY. & it was posted by someone in europe. I mean, does that person call himself a fan you think? I don't know, it's just the way of the internet now I guess. Carry on, & thanks for the support. Honestly. Now go play Reeny Ra loudly!
:-)
Joe

why are these new releases not on streaming sites like spotify or deezer?

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:55 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
I always thought Frank kept the kids away from recording/rehearsing as that was "business", until they were a little older and involved on actual tracks.

Responding to this belatedly, if I recall right Bozzio mentioned that it was funny to play with Dweezil later on while remembering him as a little kid running around in a Superman outfit during Frank's rehearsals.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13