Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:31 pm 

If you like the Tull albums 'A' and 'Under wraps' you will enjoy Ian's first solo album, 'Walk Into Light'. Some great songs but layden with early 80's technology.

'Divinities' is a work of instrumental flute music. Not everyone's cup of tea but I liked it a lot.

'Secret Language Of Birds' is a real gem. Lots of acoustic guitars and mandolins. Really strong album.

'Rupi's Dance' most recent album. Not bad but not as wonderful as slob.

Thing is, IA is Jethro Tull so the only thing missing on these albums is Martin Barre who by the way is seriously under rated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:38 am 

Ringo wrote:
If you like the Tull albums 'A' and 'Under wraps' you will enjoy Ian's first solo album, 'Walk Into Light'. Some great songs but layden with early 80's technology.

'Divinities' is a work of instrumental flute music. Not everyone's cup of tea but I liked it a lot.

'Secret Language Of Birds' is a real gem. Lots of acoustic guitars and mandolins. Really strong album.

Thing is, IA is Jethro Tull so the only thing missing on these albums is Martin Barre who by the way is seriously under rated.

Thanks for the breakdown! I do love "A" - I think it's their most underrated. Eddie Jobson may be the lone link between JT and FZ. Do you know about UK? Bozzio was in it w/ Jobson for awhile (and Wetton, too if I'm right).

Besides IA's flute, Barre is a defining feature, isn't he?

I'll be tracking these albums down...thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:41 pm 

Ringo wrote:

I love the A album a lot. I saw the show with some friends. One, who was a great Tull fan, said they sounded like a fucking New Wave band. I loved the concert anyway. But Under Wraps and Walk Into Light aren't Ian's best ideas.

Martin Lancelot Barre is a great guitarman. Did anybody listen to one of his solo albums ? I wonder if I should purchase one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:21 am 

My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:
Ringo wrote:

Martin Lancelot Barre is a great guitarman. Did anybody listen to one of his solo albums ? I wonder if I should purchase one.

If you like Guitar music I guess his albums might appeal but personally I find electric guitar music dated. Having said that his last solo album (2004) had some tasty acoustic tracks which were very Tull like.
I hear Martin Barre is working on a new solo album that is purely acoustic and possible arrangements of Tull music which would be fantastic.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:39 am 

Thought I'd bump this up. New ian Anderson album in April and touring it plus a best of Tull set in Europe this summer and the US in the fall. Any takers?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:44 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Thought I'd bump this up. New ian Anderson album in April and touring it plus a best of Tull set in Europe this summer and the US in the fall. Any takers?

Yep, 6th row center on Oct. 25th!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:25 pm 

KUIII wrote:

Got my tickets reserved for the Oakland show.

In keeping with the thread topic, on his last tour Anderson used a bunch of Captain Beefheart songs (plus some old blues recordings) as pre-show and intermission music.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:58 pm 

Shrewnews wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Got my tickets reserved for the Oakland show.

In keeping with the thread topic, on his last tour Anderson used a bunch of Captain Beefheart songs (plus some old blues recordings) as pre-show and intermission music.

I was waiting to hear if there were going to be anymore NorCal shows (I doubt it but they'd only announced a couple of US shows last I looked). Otherwise I've got my sights set on Oakland too. When I saw Tull in '00 I remember them playing something from Safe as Milk pre-show.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:09 am 

Here's the new album cover

For those who missed it. In 2012 Ian Anderson revisited Thick As A Brick with TAAB2 - What ever happened to Gerald Bostock. He then did a two year world tour playing the entire TAAB1 album in the first half and the new album in the 2nd half. Not bad for a guy in his mid 60's.
Gerald Bostock has become Ian Anderson's alter ego and its quite amusing to read his Diary https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gerald-Bostock/305718789470676

The new album, like TAAB1 has also been written by Gerald Bostock. Who said the concept album was dead?
Out next month and I can't wait.

The sad news is that with the TAAB2 project, Ian Anderson kinda went solo and parted ways with Martin Barre. Reading between the lines I think they had stopped communicating. The new guy on Guitar isn't a patch on Martin but its clearly working between him and Anderson and if its giving us a new album every two years long may it continue. One dreams of the Anderson/Barre reunion but I don't see it happening :cry:

But earlier in this thread I mentioned Martin Barre was working on an Acoustic album revisiting lesser known Tull classics. Well late last year he released said album and I think its bloody excellent. Good Good Music and Musicianship and very well arranged. Check it out. http://www.martinbarre.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:16 pm 

When I look at the story of that band I'm amazed Martin Barre lasted as long as he did.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:58 am 

Interesting read :) thank you for that