Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:09 pm 

Your a boring Asshole who can't understand'never mind what you said you sad Dum fuck Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:46 pm 

I think I do understand. You like early 80s digital recordings. I don't. Nothing to get worked up about.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:01 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
I think I do understand. You like early 80s digital recordings. I don't. Nothing to get worked up about.

Your like a Open door,saying i like early digital recordings,FZ did Digital recording by end of 70's,which is why i said :roll: it's not strictly 80's which you think recording is shit ,FZ king biscuit 1980 Radio sounds cool too my ears you just being negative :wink: and Digital will Provale simple has.

so yes maybe you don't understand Facts just go saying people ain't Original when what your look for is out dated Originality 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:59 pm 

cleon wrote:
what your look for is out dated Originality

haha. Good one! You might be right.

Still, digital recording is infinitely better sounding today then it was in 1982. Some of it is down to the engineer's abilities but even then there was only so much a good engineer could do (sound wise) with early digital recording technology. Look at Black Sabbath. Have you heard Born Again? Terrible engineering, sure, but it's also diminished by all of that digital frosting which destroys Bill Wards cymbal tone among other things. They should have stuck with Martin Birch.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:30 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
cleon wrote:
what your look for is out dated Originality

haha. Good one! You might be right.

Still, digital recording is infinitely better sounding today then it was in 1982. Some of it is down to the engineer's abilities but even then there was only so much a good engineer could do (sound wise) with early digital recording technology. Look at Black Sabbath. Have you heard Born Again? Terrible engineering, sure, but it's also diminished by all of that digital frosting which destroys Bill Wards cymbal tone among other things. They should have stuck with Martin Birch.

I was wrong on my last post (1979 24track analog not Digital 24 Track recording till 1984)
Though i think the Synclavier was in use the year before if i remember correctly,I cant think of a Digital recording that sounds outstanding from early 80's either though I remember hearing the difference by mid 80's even before i had a CD player by listening too songs on Vinyl Pub Jukeboxes.And this day and age it's a Pity the Old School bands missed out or maybe like you say Engineers abilities,Sort of like where this county went metric and the old school builders found it hard too pass the true trade on.
BTW Ry cooder(Bop till You Drop)LP WB label is first digital.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:02 pm 

cleon wrote:
BTW Ry cooder(Bop till You Drop)LP WB label is first digital.

Interesting. I have not heard that one.
I appreciate it, Cleon.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:35 pm 

I'll second full beefheart as Bongo Fury doesn't come close to what the band could do. This band still had George, nappy, and tom, as well as bruce again with nappy and captain filling out a horn section. This lineup was able to do amazing improvs and I was surprised upon hearing boots how much a zappa show this was given BF's fairly equal weighting of "captain-vocal" songs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:31 pm 

Wow!
I don't think I've ever read a more clear and concise post
from Cleon as his last one!
Bravo Cleon!
I just hope your little sister wasn't typing it as you dictated though...

I'll have to cast my vote for a full BONGO FURY show as well.
It's too historic to ignore.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:54 pm 

cleon wrote:
unclemeat69 wrote:
cleon wrote:
I can't see the logic why 24track which was used also in 79 Live recordings is not worthy of being a Road Tape.

Presumably, it has to do with the sound quality of the recordings: a 24-track recording could be easily mixed to get very good sound (as in Hammersmith Odeon) whereas a 2-track or 4-track recording could not.
With the earlier road tapes the tapes had to be severely cleaned up to get acceptable sound.
That 2-track recording from 1980 with David Logeman that gave us Love Of My Life could qualify.

That ain't the answer

What is the answer then?
What is it that makes the distinction between Road Tapes and other released shows (Philly, Buffalo, Hammersmith Odeon etc)?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:35 pm 

Well Hammersmith ain't good sounding too my years neither is Philly,Bufallo tops about best ever heard IMHO,probably technology is a answer.
Though they and road tapes got a single thing in common they live recordings so your sort of splitting hairs.And Hammersmith sounds better when FZ used it for Sheik Yerbouti.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:38 pm 

jeddy wrote:
Wow!
I don't think I've ever read a more clear and concise post
from Cleon as his last one!
Bravo Cleon!
I just hope your little sister wasn't typing it as you dictated though...

Clever boyo a little Ry Cooder CC :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:44 am 

There is no best '82 show, but the COTL > PFAB from the Pistoia show is a lot of fun and throughout the whole show Frank is pretty clearly in a good mood. Fans throwing stuff and bandmates flubbing don't get nearly the negative reaction out of him, and he spends a lot of the show changing lyrics and having a good time bashing the concert promoters who don't seem to want to pay the band.

I find the "sophomore" bands to be among franks best. The 78' lineup was great, but by 79' they were unstoppable. 81' featured a big lineup changeover, and again by 82' these guys were beast.

I imagine an 85' lineup would have made the mid-80's a bit more popular, and an 89' lineup would have cause the entire first row male or female to get pregnant.

(I think the 74 lineup on YCDTOSA Vol. 2 is a step-down from the two drummer 73 lineup, although if speed is the name of the game, they win there too)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:20 pm 

Should be Buffalo part 2. Early and late show from 81

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:27 pm 

cleon wrote:
vivalapsych wrote:
I doubt anything after '80 will be on Road Tapes as Frank recorded all those shows 24 track and higher with UMRK Mobile, BUT on second thought there may be a few shows that were not recorded pro (I'm sure you guys know of a few for certain) and only exist as "guerilla" recordings that then would be candidates for the Road Tapes series.[/quote]I can't see the logic why 24track which was used also in 79 Live recordings is not worthy of being a Road Tape.

There certainly is a desire for the high quality multi-track recordings, but in the case with the Road Tapes Series, it is the geurilla aspect of these tapes, to date these guerilla tapes made their way to Road Tapes 1 & 2, pointedly the AUD community did not circulate them. I'm more inclined to think that Joe will and or has found more Road Tapes worthy material, and but also, there are many amazing multi-track tapes of different tape mediums that certainly qualify for a different production template.

Food For thought:

Being that the Road Tapes CD Series stands on it's own production schema. I'm hoping that the fanatical desire evovles to where the ZFT will grace us with a Road Video Series. Frank recorded lots of video, not all of it is up to the standards that we see in the official films to date. I can see where a Guerilla Road Video, even if it were a VHS, Betamax or 8mm Masters. I would suspect that masters of that medium are guerilla in comparison to the reels of 16MM and 35MM films in the vault. Please Gail, Road Videos....

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:50 pm 

trendmonger wrote:
... a Road Video Series. Frank recorded lots of video, ... Please Gail, Road Videos....

thomas nordegg on the road with zappa, schüttorf germany june-05-82