Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:12 am 

:mrgreen: I got my shipping notice yesterday as well :mrgreen: :shock: I ordered it in August :P None the less, I am excited and was heard to say" Holy Shit" out loud when viewing my email

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:27 am 

I did the deed and got my master this week.
Good sounding recording.
The problem I have is that no artwork was sent and no info as to how to obtain artwork.
Email has gone ignored so far.
Does anyone have Gail's email addy ??

I figured they'd make us wait until their version was done, but it is still a drag......

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:38 am 

Didn't you get the crayons? :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:41 am 

There is probably something in the 20 pages of legalese that prohibits that :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:23 am 

Does the master look different from what the rest of us are receiving? Or did GZ just bung a CDR in the post to you? I'm not terribly surprised by any of this chaos but it is pretty appalling that you and the rest of the (few) investors/participants have been treated with such contempt by ZFT.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:13 am 

Does the 'master' disc perhaps contain both audio and data (artwork, etc)?

Zappa music and much, much MOO-AH!
www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:34 am 

kerouack wrote:
I did the deed and got my master this week.
Good sounding recording.
The problem I have is that no artwork was sent and no info as to how to obtain artwork.
Email has gone ignored so far.
Does anyone have Gail's email addy ??

I figured they'd make us wait until their version was done, but it is still a drag......

I wouldn't worry about Gail's email. You should find a good lawyer's email. :wink: Hate to say it, but
YOU GOT HOSED! Seriously, think about what you paid for and what you have vs. what others have here for $25-$30.

Nobody's gonna buy a version from you or any other private "distributor", unless it's just for sympathy. What you're gonna produce off of your "master" is no different sounding than what anyone with the CD can replicate onto CD-R.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:09 am 

Hi kerouack.
I'll buy a copy from you once you get the artwork sorted.
Let me know some details, and I'll send you mine.
I think a bit of support for the distributors would be appropriate.
TT

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:44 am 

deuce wrote:
Hi kerouack.
I'll buy a copy from you once you get the artwork sorted.
Let me know some details, and I'll send you mine.
I think a bit of support for the distributors would be appropriate.
TT

Same here. I got my copy coming from Barfko, but I would be happy to buy a copy or 2 as a giveaway just to support those of you who shelled out for the master. I'll make this deal. Once you guys get the artwork and shit worked out. The first 2 distributors who contact me with the details will get 1 copy each purchased from me.

*EDIT*
Let me rephrase that. If you are overseas and I have to get fleeced for shipping, I can't do that. Otherwise, my deal stands.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:41 pm 

I was trying to get the bread together with a friend, but then we sobered up. Look, I will buy one or two from you to give to friends. Supporting our own in this endeavor seems only right.

Suggestion LaB: Have anyone who wants to buy from you pm you and privately work out the details to ensure that you get treated fairly, as you deserve to be. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:23 am 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:
Does the 'master' disc perhaps contain both audio and data (artwork, etc)?

Just the audio. Not surprising as it would entail me copying the audio to send in to replicate if that were the case.
I don't think they'd want to leave that up to all of us to do.

The master is a cd-r but it is screen with info and my name. Likely watermarked.

Assuming I can press this thing, I am fine with the terms. I figure with pressing costs (assuming 16 page book, the master fee and the royalty), I will be in for $4.00 per. I can sell 50 or so in my store (probably more once folks hear the story), and I will sell them on Ebay I expect. I'll be able to do $20 CAD including shipping in North America, so am optimistic I can sell more there. Need to sell 260 ish to break even. Won't be the end of the world if that doesn't happen.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:58 am 

Damn... wtf. I do feel a bit bad for you on how this shook out - only a CD-R? Come on. A grand for that? I personally never entertained the idea for more than it took me to read the idea... but no art... nothing special really. Now you're left with all that work to make it worth the purchase of the "master." Cripes. I hear swamp land is going for a cheap price too.

I hope you can make it work and some people buy your copies. What a deal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:29 am 

Well, I fully expected everything to arrive after the 'official' copy was pressed and ready.
But, I am supposed to be able to manufacture this cd, so there has to be artwork attached that I can
set up and print. Why that wasn't included is a mystery and hearing the crickets chirping when I email to ask is kind of a drag.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:02 am 

kerouack,
I don't care about artwork- just want to hear the music. When you post a link I'll order from you. I bet you'll make the buying process more smooth and less cryptic than 'official' channels.
Paypal?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:56 am 

man, that is depressing. what a mess. once you are able to sell legit and/or otherwise to your liking, let us know. i may buy another copy to help support YOU; i no longer wish to support the ZFT due to their persistent bungling of all things...

kerouack wrote:
Well, I fully expected everything to arrive after the 'official' copy was pressed and ready.
But, I am supposed to be able to manufacture this cd, so there has to be artwork attached that I can
set up and print. Why that wasn't included is a mystery and hearing the crickets chirping when I email to ask is kind of a drag.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:41 am 

Phlakaton wrote:
Damn... wtf. I do feel a bit bad for you on how this shook out - only a CD-R? Come on. A grand for that? I personally never entertained the idea for more than it took me to read the idea... but no art... nothing special really. Now you're left with all that work to make it worth the purchase of the "master." Cripes. I hear swamp land is going for a cheap price too.

I hope you can make it work and some people buy your copies. What a deal.

Fucking Word.
A CDR?
Was that in the fine print? Since I never bothered to read all of the legal gobbledygook.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:20 pm 

prunes666 wrote:
vince_de_wild wrote:
Believe it or not.... I spent $1k... but, I did it on the guy who's making The Residents documentary!
http://residentsmovie.com/
In return, I get a copy of the film, a 'secret stash' of stuff that didn't make the film, an invite to the films' premiere (whenever and wherever that may be), AND........ a filmed meeting with the lead singer!! (coming soon to an internet near you).
Now, THAT'S a deal!

That would be one Hardy Fox.

No. That would be one Homer Flynn. Though Hardy has had lead vocals on a few things.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:55 pm 

kerouack wrote:
where's all the swag ¿ original artwork ¿ marketing materials ¿

fine print from roxy by proxy - the license, on nov-29-2012 wrote:
what do i get ¿

• your very own personal cd duplication master, embedded exclusively with information unique to only you, and
  • 76 minutes of never-before-released frank zappa master recordings from the roxy performances, and
  • liner notes – meticulously written by one of the band members
  • a few finished copies of the actual release [complete with original artwork]

what kind of marketing materials can i use ¿

the zft will provide each distributor with authorized marketing materials for use in advertising and promoting ... any and all marketing materials created by a distributor must be approved by us in writing prior ...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:24 am 

I wonder if the RbP distributors are allowed to sell digital copies of the album.
I'd happily shell out for reasonably priced flac files of the tracks.
Pay by Paypal, stick them in a folder on Dropbox, share the folder... job done!

GN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:58 am 

GenieNitro wrote:
I wonder if the RbP distributors are allowed to sell digital copies of the album.
I'd happily shell out for reasonably priced flac files of the tracks.

The licensing agreement specifically forbids digital distribution.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:09 am 

mine arrived today in italy, but now i am in china and the manufacturer i choose raised some legal issue about the printing, hope he will change is mind after i can show him the contract, i think i will need almost a month to sort this thing out, i will post here if i have some news

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:44 am 

This is just sad. I never figured that people buying the mastering rights would have a genuine commercial opportunity here, but I figured they would at least get some nice swag to take the sting out of the venture: a personal letter, a special edition folder ... something nice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:45 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
polydigm wrote:
How come, if people are getting shipping orders, Barfko is still saying it's available for pre order? They're making them one at a time? Assembled by Lilliputians?
Forgot to change the wording on the website?
That is pretty obviously what happened, but is also quite boring and doesn't allow for jokes about Lilliputians assembling them one at a time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:47 am 

lets see a pic of the disc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:41 am 

So this is what an 'Omnishambles' looks like.......

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next