Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 349, 350, 351, 352, 353, 354, 355 ... 378  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:30 am 

brainpang wrote:
as I can't make heads or tails of your posts (malaysia or lockerbie, what ya talkin' about), I am moving on. No need to answer. Yes, I have a search engine like the rest of the world.

Fair enough - you asked where I'd read it though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:15 am 

Colombia’s President wets himself during public speech.

http://www.foxcrawl.com/2014/03/18/colo ... ic-speech/

I guess the drug lords are finally getting to him.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:22 am 

Some of you may have heard of the hate speech one Dutch political party head did (he's now being compared to Goebbels in Germany, which he handwaves): fortunately one of his party members has now resigned, giving him one less seat in parliament.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:04 pm 

BBP wrote:
Some of you may have heard of the hate speech one Dutch political party head did (he's now being compared to Goebbels in Germany, which he handwaves): fortunately one of his party members has now resigned, giving him one less seat in parliament.

Who's the hate directed towards Bonny? :?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:30 pm 

Moroccans.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:47 pm 

BBP wrote:
Moroccans.

Why them? :?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:34 pm 

Because of Islam?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:01 pm 

What has Islam got against comfortable shoes?

Ohhhhhh Moroccans I was thinking moccasins

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:56 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Because of Islam?

Yes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:20 am 

BBP, What is your take on what russia is doing in regards to Crimea and Ukraine ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:47 am 

Candidate Who Blames Gay Rights For Tornadoes Nabs Big GOP Win

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/1 ... ostpopular

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:11 am 

Another side of Zappa

Mar. 20, 2014 @ 10:06 AM

“Summer 82: When Zappa Came to Sicily”
(By Salvo Cuccia. Screening at 7:30 p.m. April 4 in Cinema 1, Carolina Theatre.
In Italian, with subtitles.)

Salvo Cuccia’s tribute to composer and guitarist Frank Zappa is really four different stories. In 1982, Zappa and his band traveled to Palermo, Sicily, to perform the last concert on their European tour.
Held in a soccer stadium, the concert happened at the same time as Palermo’s Feast of Saint Rosalia, and during a tense mafia feud. The ensuing tensions spilled over and caused the concert to devolve into a riot.
Zappa’s family emigrated from Sicily, which becomes the other story in this documentary. Zappa’s surviving family – his wife, Gail, and children Dweezil, Moon Unit and Diva – return years later to Sicily and have a heartfelt reunion with members of the Zappa family. Their guide and chauffeur is Massimo Bassoli, a friend of Zappa’s who also became the composer’s biographer and tells the story of how he came to know Zappa.
All of these stories are told through the lens of filmmaker Cuccia. A fan of Zappa’s music, he bought a ticket to the ill-fated concert, but arrived too late to use it. He and his dad were making the journey across Italy to Palermo in what would be their last trip together. (He finally saw footage in Los Angeles when he met the Zappa family).
Zappa was one of the most inventive, eclectic musicians of the last century, writing for rock ensembles, orchestras, bands and other combinations. He also was a biting satirist of the foibles of his time.
In Cucci’s touching film, fans see a different side of Zappa -- the devoted father who nurtures his children’s intellectual interests. The film has a wonderful soundtrack of Zappa compositions, what Cuccia calls “pure contamination which cut through the genres.”

--Cliff Bellamy, The Herald-Sun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:02 am 

That sounds like it's going to be awesome!

Another parliament member resigned from the PVV.

Roads in The Hague are closing because of the approaching nuclear summit. Insert bad joke here.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:55 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Zappa’s family emigrated from Sicily, which becomes the other story in this documentary. Zappa’s surviving family – his wife, Gail, and children Dweezil, Moon Unit and Diva

I think Carl, Candy and they're offspring plus his folks, if there still "surviving", would have another take on that last sentence! :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:58 pm 

For those of you who have heard of the Football (soccer) World Cup, don't you just love Sepp Blatter?

Let's play a world cup in a desert environment! Who gives a fuck if we have to play it in winter!

Exploitation of workers constructing stadiums in Brazil? Yay! They'll soon stop complaining when the world cup comes and they can watch it on their black and white portables!

And regardless of the rights and wrongs of what's going on in the Ukraine...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26691561
... hurrah for Sepp, for stepping up and showing us what capitalism is all about - namely sticking large amounts of money up peoples' arses who are already mind-bogglingly rich anyway!

I'm for Auschwitz for the next World Cup myself.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:17 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
BBP wrote:
What good would be a terrorist action on a plane if no group accounts for it? I don't believe that story. We'll have to wait for the black box to surface to be sure.

With the info thats been dribbling out of Malaysia, it appears the pilot(s) switched off the various tracking devices and reprogrammed the auto pilot to purposely avoid the radar of the numerous countries airspace through which they were flying and continued on into the middle of the Indian Ocean until the plane ran out of fuel. If they locate the black box, the pilot(s) may have disabled it, furthering the mystery of flight MH370, and the fate of the 239 souls on board.....sadly there can be no happy ending to this story.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:50 pm 

Flight 370 is quickly becoming one of Histories Mysteries. We'll never know the whole truth, with or without a back box recorder. The most one can hope for is to find where she went down and that's if she did go down. Anything is still possible, even a safe landing somewhere, but not probable.

I confirmed my reservation,
Then I hopped a cab.
Arriving at my destination,
Feelin' pretty sad,
When suddenly it dawned on me,
That this was not my flight.
He put the plane down in the sea,
With me, oh, get me on flight #505,
Get me on flight number five-O-five. ~ Stones, 505, Aftermath
...something along those lines. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:45 pm 

Kate Bush in concert.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/m ... MP=ema_630

>You don't.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:44 pm 

sleeping in a jar wrote:

I heard about this just a few hours ago. Unfuckingbelievable! :twisted:

Even at the prices being charged ($80-$225), ALL 15 shows will sell-out.

I know she won't tour, but I sincerely hope she does at least a few residencies on this side of the Atlantic. London in the summer is just too expensive and far away for me...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:43 am 

MMM mmm Dutch news is good now. :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:32 pm 

CNN has the missing plane figured out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpVd7k1Uw6A

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:40 pm 

That sucker been blown out the sky and probably melt along with what hit it 8)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:36 pm 

YouTube Censors Major Anti-Obama Channel

Mark Dice’s channel shut down days after governments given powers to flag “extremist” content
Paul Joseph Watson

March 23, 2014
A major anti-Obama YouTube channel with 55 million views was shut down yesterday just days after a new policy went into effect handing governments the power to flag “extremist” content on the video sharing website.

Media commentator and activist Mark Dice, whose channel had 55 million views and 265,000 subscribers, had his account suspended yesterday for what YouTube described as “severe terms of service violations”. The channel was not deleted due to copyright issues.
The most popular videos on Dice’s channel lambasted supporters of Barack Obama. Dice had built up a reputation for his ‘man on the street’ videos which featured him getting Obama supporters to sign petitions that called for a number of insane proposals, like putting gun owners in concentration camps, killing newborn babies, repealing the first amendment to silence criticism of Obama, and granting Obama immunity from all crimes.
After Dice made a video drawing attention to the censorship on his back-up channel, that too was deleted despite having zero strikes against it. The channel was subsequently restored the next day, but Dice’s main channel remains suspended. Attempts to get an explanation for why the channel was deleted have proven fruitless.
Dice’s YouTube channel was also deleted after parent company Google gave some 200 government and police organizations “super flagger” powers, enabling them to flag up to 20 videos for review and possible removal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:06 am 

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/121131/ ... check-1988

In 1988 Frank Zappa embarked on what turned out to be his last tour with a rock/jazz band before his death in 1993. Zappa put together a 12-piece band for the 1988 tour that included Ike Willis (rhythm guitar/vocals), Mike Keneally (stunt guitar/keyboards/vocals), Robert Martin (keyboards/Synclavier/ vocals), Ed Mann (percussion/Synclavier/vocals), Scott Thunes (bass/mini-moog), Chad Wackerman (drums/electronic percussion), Walt Fowler (trumpet/flugelhorn/Synclavier), Bruce Fowler (trombone), Paul Carman (alto/soprano sax), Albert Wing (tenor sax) and Kurt McGettrick (baritone sax). The tour came to an early conclusion after 81 shows in four months due to interpersonal issues between some of the musicians in the band. For today's Sunday Cinema post we look at recently-surfaced (on YouTube) video of Frank leading the band through a soundcheck/rehearsal in Philadelphia on March 14, 1988.
Frank was known for his intense work ethic and as a perfectionist. We see many displays of these attributes in the footage below. The clip starts with a run through of "Sofa" that doesn't last very long. Zappa realizes something's off in the melody and we watch as the band figures it out. Then, the group works on "The Girl From Ipanema" (with bassist Scott Thunes wearing a Jimmy Baker mask) and "Zoot Allures." There's a bit of downtime in the 20-minute clip, but if you're a Zappa fan you'll appreciate the opportunity to see the master at work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... MrQiZr3q0A

There's another, much longer clip from the Philadelphia soundcheck/rehearsal that also turned up on YouTube last week. The second clip begins with a different angle of the "Sofa" and "Girl From Ipanema" from the first clip and continues with Frank setting up the evening's guitar loops and playing his synclavier. The money shot comes around the 39-minute mark when Zappa tests out the loops he made by tearing into his guitar for an off-the-cuff solo. At age 48 Frank could still shred with the best of 'em. Again, we warn this isn't "all killer, no filler" footage. There's some "killer" and plenty of "filler."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCbZpsTk ... r_embedded

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:21 am 

How to save the economy - increase taxes and minimum wages. It's working in California...

http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index ... er_default

Quote:
Her move comes as California emerges from a dark period in which the state budget deficit ballooned to more than $25 billion, causing the state to gut its highly regarded public university system and leading pundits to opine that California no longer was the land of opportunity.

In 2010, conservatives held little hope that the California dream would be restored under newly elected Democratic Gov. Jerry Brown, whom legendary Chicago columnist Mike Royko dubbed “Governor Moonbeam” when Brown served as the state’s top elected official in the1970s.

But Brown, with significant help from a resurgent national economy and the success of Facebook, Google, Twitter and other California tech firms, has engineered an impressive turnaround.

California’s scary budget deficit has been erased, mainly through an income tax hike on the rich that voters approved in 2012. The state’s projected surplus this year is $4.6 billion.

California’s economy has produced a million new jobs since the end of 2010.

And more than one million workers got raises after Brown signed a bill that boosted the state’s minimum wage from $8 an hour to $9 an hour in July. California’s minimum wage will jump again to $10 an hour in 2016.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 349, 350, 351, 352, 353, 354, 355 ... 378  Next