Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:28 pm 

I understand where you're coming from. I live in a yuppie type town too. These people have all these kids, and then drag them around as a status symbol. They are constantly going to gymboree, karate, t-ball, softball, upward league basketball, etc. Then they go to church on Sunday morning, Sunday evening, and Wednesday evening. These poor kids never get any child time. My kid takes a 30 minute guitar lesson every week. Otherwise, we just go to work and school. Then, we come home and do our shit that makes us happy. I listen to Zappa, and he practices his guitar. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:08 pm 

deuce wrote:
my girlfriend got pregnant.

Did you catch the guy that did it? Just a joke. Men seem to use that sentence to take themselves out of the equation. You can take pride or at least responsibility in saying "I knocked her up."

Bill Hicks on childbirth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6GhOLE6hSU

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:59 pm 

Philostopher wrote:
I understand where you're coming from. I live in a yuppie type town too. These people have all these kids, and then drag them around as a status symbol. They are constantly going to gymboree, karate, t-ball, softball, upward league basketball, etc. Then they go to church on Sunday morning, Sunday evening, and Wednesday evening. These poor kids never get any child time. My kid takes a 30 minute guitar lesson every week. Otherwise, we just go to work and school. Then, we come home and do our shit that makes us happy. I listen to Zappa, and he practices his guitar. :mrgreen:

That's basically how I grew up. After school explorations on my own and a little baseball in the spring.I took Piano lessons for a few years too.
Soccer is the new religion around these yuppie parts. Great game, like tic-tac-tow, nobody wins, everyone gets a ribbon and it's off to tai quan d'oh! It's prepping them for the grind of the oppressed worker bees. Doing these senseless organised games when your young makes it easier to accept mind numbing work later in life. You loose your individuality and uniqueness unless ya gots a lot of Zappa spirit in your genes. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:45 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:
deuce wrote:
my girlfriend got pregnant.

Did you catch the guy that did it? Just a joke. Men seem to use that sentence to take themselves out of the equation. You can take pride or at least responsibility in saying "I knocked her up."

Bill Hicks on childbirth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6GhOLE6hSU

Hicks is great and he's talking about the same people I was in my earlier post. Yuppies may be annoying but at least they pay for their own shit. Generally speaking, people who have the wherewithal to give their kids a good upbringing and education have fewer kids than people of poverty. It brings the movie Idiocracy to mind.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:47 am 

Philostopher wrote:
I live in a yuppie type town too. These people have all these kids, and then drag them around as a status symbol. They are constantly going to gymboree, karate, t-ball, softball, upward league basketball, etc. Then they go to church on Sunday morning, Sunday evening, and Wednesday evening. These poor kids never get any child time.

Thats how it seemed to me when I lived in Oz. Couldn't stand it - too much competition, testosterone etc - and they were brain dead. I don't see it much in UK.
TT

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:28 am 

Reproduction=without it life itself would cease to exist...

but

People with kids-more important than those who chose not to?

What was the reason you asked that? Apart from the obvious social pressure for reproduction (at least that's how I see it here), have you been offended by people because of not having kids?

On overpopulation: You do the math. If each couple (i.e. each two people from different genders) have one child together, with the passing of time, humanity will eventually go extinct.

Also, if everyone in average reproduces in a moderate rate (1-4) that would probably be better that just a few of us having lots of children and others none, from a Darwinian genetics point of view...

A few generations back here many families would have many, many children (9-18), today they are getting smaller and smaller...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:39 am 

I had a small school class of around 13 people, with no twins or siblings amongst them. Three of those came from a family of 5 kids. Save one (whose mother had a miscarriage), the only ones with 2 kids or less in the family were those with split parents. Families still run into "large" territory of more than two in my neck of the woods. Catholicism, probably. The days when the pastor came over to ask if the next one was on the way already may be gone, thank heavens, but apparently that doesn't stop them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:52 am 

"I hate all children but my own." -- the wife

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:57 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Reproduction=without it life itself would cease to exist...

but

People with kids-more important than those who chose not to?

What was the reason you asked that? Apart from the obvious social pressure for reproduction (at least that's how I see it here), have you been offended by people because of not having kids?

On overpopulation: You do the math. If each couple (i.e. each two people from different genders) have one child together, with the passing of time, humanity will eventually go extinct.

Also, if everyone in average reproduces in a moderate rate (1-4) that would probably be better that just a few of us having lots of children and others none, from a Darwinian genetics point of view...

A few generations back here many families would have many, many children (9-18), today they are getting smaller and smaller...

Very well put.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:52 am 

It's sort of a paradox. To protect the species and the environment, human births should be limited. This won't happen because of human nature. So, maintaining the species until it completely destroys itself becomes the primary gist of existence, and making sure that the young are well cared for is the number one goal in our quest to continue.

This absolutely makes people with children more important than people without children, so fuck 'em.

(both groups, I mean.)

I'm an older male atheist with no children of my own. Ask me about my social life.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:30 am 

A rope leash wrote:

I'm an older male atheist with no children of my own. Ask me about my social life.

I was planning on being happy today. No thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:36 am 

Every sperm is sacred but not in the weightlessness in low Earth orbit within the confines of International Space Station please. Once this planet is used up and and a new one is founded and terraformed by all means spread like wildfire.

Where are the jobs for these offspring? With all the outsourcing, brick & mortar stores being shuttered, crumbling infrastructure that is at least 50 years old, automated grocery store checkouts taking a job a human once held, online banking has just about killed the post office....PHEW!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:43 am 

I thought the internet was killing the post office, and I don't think we have to worry about using up this planet any time soon, let's say in the next million years, and wtf with the octo mom analogy? That, imho was a rare situation, I do agree it's time to get the government foot off the throat of the economy, then it will take off.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:57 am 

I've only got one kid, so I don't count. But I think parents who put their kids on display in the community are in for some hard times, parenting-wise. They're not interacting enough with their kids, which is the #1 need any kid has, especially in those early development years. It's not a kid's job to reflect good things about the parents back to them. Any parent who thinks that's healthy is fucked up. Luckily, most kids are resilient.

People have kids for all kinds of reasons, but the bottom line is they keep pumping them out regardless of what anyone thinks about it. In my case, my wife and I waited till we were in our 40s to have a kid, after years of deciding against it. It seems to have worked out; my kid seems pretty normal and cool.

I would never counsel someone to have a kid. But those that do realize how incredibly cool it is and how it changes you for the better. But it's not for everyone.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:00 pm 

The earth has survived gigantic meteorites, the collision with Gaea, species have come and gone... I'm not worried about the future of Earth. I'm worried about the continuous existence of humans and animals.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:19 pm 

I have two kids and do you know what? If I hadn't had them, I'd have missed something fairly major.

Example from Tuesday evening.

Lying on the sofa, utterly knackered, I ask my eldest if he'll bring me a glass of wine from the kitchen.

"Sure" he says.

He brings the glass of cool, refreshing, soothing wine.

"Thanks," I say "What would I do without you?"

"Get up?" he answers.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:55 pm 

Kid's say the darnedest things. Then grow up and jump from high places thinkin' they can fly while on acid. ~ Art Linkletter's lament.
There's always a flip side.
..or was it a flip with a double twist? No water, no score. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:30 pm 

[url]www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHPCtgmtS68
[/url]
www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHPCtgmtS68
No hidden message, like the song thats all.
TT

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:24 pm 

I'm pushing 40. Never had kids and don't want any. It's disgusting seeing losers everywhere pumping out their spawn.
Everything about the subject is best stated by Bill Hicks and Doug Stanhope.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:10 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Kid's say the darnedest things. Then grow up and jump from high places thinkin' they can fly while on acid. ~ Art Linkletter's lament.

With all due respect,Kapt., the percentage of kids who jump out of a window on acid thinking they can fly is minuscule. Let's also remember we were all once kids. Quite a few of us were accidents too, including me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:14 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
I'm pushing 40. Never had kids and don't want any. It's disgusting seeing losers everywhere pumping out their spawn.

I hope you're ok with a few winners pumping 'em out every once in awhile. Somebody needs to keep the trains running on time.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:39 pm 

Many of us here are still kids, mentally speaking :P

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:47 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Many of us here are still kids, mentally speaking :P

Thanx, I try! :mrgreen:
Fred_Zappelin wrote:

Makes me wonder if Sam Kinison had any kids. Although I think he would've had a routine about them. :twisted:
I hate it when a guy sez he has no other kids "that he knows of" while bitchin' about his child care payments to the ones "he knows of". I always get the feeling his kids "that he knows of" aren't getting much love or money for food & clothing and it's always because of "that bitch". It takes two to make and raise kids and both are just as responsible, no matter what happens down the line. :idea:
When are these Neanderthals going to stop letting everybody, but themselves, raise their kids? It takes a community to raise a child, but that's getting ridiculous! Just go to any bar in America and mention alimony or child payments, you'll get the same kind of reaction.
Then there's another side. 30yrs. or so ago, I was introduced to a welfare mom, who saw nothing wrong in having another kid, for the money, when another one would grow up and move out. All along the 5 to 7 that where under her & welfare's care grow up having many male role models. Most...not so good, just sperm donors. I saw her 20yrs. later and she had moved to Sonora from Stockton, CA. to be closer to her newest babies dad, who was in a jail near there at the time. I guess da big dog has a plan for her and hers too then, when dog's not taking care of every sporting event that is being prayed upon. :roll:

KUIII wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

With all due respect,Kapt., the percentage of kids who jump out of a window on acid thinking they can fly is minuscule. Let's also remember we were all once kids. Quite a few of us were accidents too, including me.

KU, your one of the good guys in a good place, where seldom is heard a discouraging word and the sky's aren't cloudy all day. Whoops, I forgot you moved from Paradise to Chico. Well, you did bring some paradise to Chico with ya now, didn't ya? :lol:

I've always felt that if your a little off anyway or have a mental illness lurking just below the surface, LSD will bring it to the forefront really quick. :shock: It's a very small (Joe's Percentage) that jumps to their death.
I asked if I was an accident too, being 10 and 8yrs.younger than my siblings. Pops always swore he just had to "prove" he had in him one more time. The story goes that our neighbor at the time was pooting forth 5 or 6 with one on the way and kidded Pops about it until Moms had a belly showing. That would make me the booby prize then, I suppose. :wink: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:54 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
the internet was killing the post office,

I don't think we have to worry about using up this planet

A. It still is killing it.

B. We'll escape it, future people will take the hit.One example: Mercury contamination introduced from 19th century California gold mining is still having a 21st century effect on rivers and streams.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2005/3014/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:03 am 

Everyone dies anyway, so what's the point of making another?

Most of us are accidents, I'm sure. Most of us have sex because it's exciting, not because we are in a hurry to reproduce.

Anyone that wears their parenting badge as some kind of status bling has got it all wrong, and they know it. Hardly anyone goes through life absolutely intent on procreation, but (after the fact of course) it is only natural. It does not make you special, it only gives you an important role in the propagation of the species.

Children are the burden of both parents and society. In this way, parents are also a burden...but also a great target market.

It really makes me wonder. Life has it's perpetuation plan pretty damn solid. Our species gets to have really great and pleasurable sex, along with a whole lot of other shit others species just can't grasp. Life in general is a fantastic thing, but human life is just bizarre.

What if we are just pushing on as a species like all species do? What if we're just bugs?

This is where a god comes in handy.