Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4390 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166 ... 176  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:18 pm 

Mij wrote:
Beautiful girls like her shouldn't die so Young. :x

Only ugly ones?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:55 pm 

The late Mickey Rooney delivered a haymaker to the late Johnathon Winters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCxF_i3ix8g

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:43 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Peaches Geldof dies

Peaches Geldof (right), daughter of Bob Geldof and Paula Yates - and a media and fashion personality in her own right - has been found dead, age 25.

She leaves behind two young children, sons Astala Dylan Willow, born in 2012, and Phaedra Bloom Forever, born in 2013.

Her father Bob Geldof, the Band Aid concert organiser and musician, issued a statement to British media saying his family was "beyond pain."

"She was the wildest, funniest, cleverest, wittiest and the most bonkers of all of us," he said. "What a beautiful child. How is this possible that we will not see her again? How is that bearable?"

Peaches Honeyblossom Geldof was found dead by ambulance officers, following a call to police reporting concern for the welfare of a woman at an address near Wrotham, Kent, south-east of London.

"At this stage, the death is being treated as unexplained and sudden," a statement from Kent Police said.

Celebrities, including New Zealand singer Lorde, were quick to express their sorrow at the news.

In a recent interview with the UK-based Mother & Baby magazine, for which she was to be a columnist, Peaches Geldof talked about how her children were her life, The Daily Mail reported.

''I am not about to let them down, not for anyone or anything.''

The Mail reported she had said becoming a mother had healed a ''rudderless and troubled'' childhood.

''Becoming a mother was like becoming me, finally,'' she said.

A day before her death Peaches Geldof had posted a picture of herself, as a baby in her mother's arms, to her Instagram account.

A lot of premature death in Sir Bob's life. : (

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:20 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Mij wrote:
Beautiful girls like her shouldn't die so Young. :x

Only ugly ones?

Let'em live too. Sure.
There's always beer to help men in this case :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:25 pm 

the Ultimate Warrior 54 yrs old

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:05 am 

Armando Peraza RIP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armando_Peraza

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:11 pm 

Gabriel García Márquez (87)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:41 pm 

BBP wrote:
yeah, sad news. fantastic author. rest in peace.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:58 pm 

ursinator wrote:

I keep NPR on all nite. In my half dream sleep I think I heard that he played with Zappa. That doesn't resonate with me. Anybody else?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:47 pm 

KUIII wrote:
ursinator wrote:

I keep NPR on all nite. In my half dream sleep I think I heard that he played with Zappa. That doesn't resonate with me. Anybody else?

Armando Peraza, the legendary Cuban percussionist with a career spanning six decades, passed away Monday at the age of 89. Peraza worked with many Jazz and Rock luminaries including Charlie Parker, George Shearing, Tito Puente, Cal Tjader, Dizzy Gillespie, Dave Brubeck, Eric Clapton, Linda Ronstadt, Frank Zappa, Rick James, Aretha Franklin, Jaco Pastorius, and Carlos Santana.

....haven't found where, yet, though. maybe only a live sit-in?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:22 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
....haven't found where, yet, though. maybe only a live sit-in?

That might be right jpd, I don't see it under personnel/musicians on any of his discography. I got the same article from Yahoo alerts. Sorta' a mystery as to when or even if Armando Peraza played with Frank. Maybe contact the writer of the article and ask where they got that info from? Good luck and lettuce snow will ya? :wink: :| (puzzled pumkin here)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:33 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:39 am 

Hurricane Carter, Fearsome Boxer Wrongly Convicted of Murder, Dies at 76

Rubin (Hurricane) Carter, a star prizefighter whose career was cut short by a murder conviction in New Jersey and who became an international cause célèbre while imprisoned for 19 years before the charges against him were dismissed, died on Sunday morning at his home in Toronto, confirmed. He was 76.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/21/sport ... c=rss&_r=0

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:45 am 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:

Actually, I thought Billy deserved a bit more, but couldn't come up with anything better than this..
"It was reported today on Zappateers that original Mothers of Invention/Rhinocheros/Tim Buckley and 60s session drummer Billy Mundi passed away 29th March 2014. He was 71. After the 70s, Billy went away from the music scene, and kept a private life, but according to those who were still in touch with him, he was diabetic and he had a leg amputated for this, even though he was still playing on a special set. According to his profile page on Zappa's United-Mutations website, at one point, Billy was writing a book about his carreer, which was to be called "Sideman". Unfortunately, to my knowledge, it never came out."
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/r ... di.349999/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:49 am 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
BBP wrote:
yeah, sad news. fantastic author. rest in peace.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:58 am 

R.I.P. Terri (Plook's wife) :cry:

At Plook's request, here are some photos of Terri. These are from The Plooks' trip to Pacifica before Terri started her cancer treatments.

Plook shared his final time with her wonderfully with us on the "Plook On Tour" thread:

Plook wrote:
My beautiful wife Terri passed today at 11:30am Pacific Time, in usual Terri fashion the doctors were late and she checked out on the machines, the doctor said he was amazed that she was able to do that. Her Father was very pleased and she saved me from giving the order, always thinking of others that woman.

It is a beautiful spring day in Folsom California, the type of day Terri loved cloudy with sun sometimes your warm, sometimes it’s cool. She even picked the day of the Grand Cardinal Cross planetary alignment, everything on time and big with her. We had several family and close friends telling stories and reminiscing, laughing more and crying some.

She was baptized Catholic so I summoned a Padre for last rights, which he performed magnificently. I gave him a hundred dollars, he said I owed nothing and I told him Terri would want his church to have it. When I went back in the room I told everyone Terri finally got my secret $100 bill I kept in my wallet for years, my daughters said that Terri had told them your dad thinks he’s slick, but I know he has a hundred dollar bill in his wallet he is saving for a special occasion. It was my pleasure to use it on her.

I asked the staff when we would start and they said the doctors were late. It was approximately 11:15, I asked for the room, everyone left and I shut the door and drew the privacy curtain. Outside the clouds were obscuring the sun, so the light in the room with a large window was subtle.

I explained to Terri how much I loved her and how I have been dreaming of her every night and I want her back but that it was time to go. I told her she fought so hard and so valiantly, that it was ok and to go to her Mother, my Dad, her stepmom, all her grandparents, all my relatives, and even our good dog Bella…they were all waiting to guide her across…the machines tracking her vitals began to drop steadily, the nurse knocked and entered she tried to bring her heart rate back up, she said uho. I called my son in law in the lobby and said get everyone in quick.

All arrived in time to see her pass and as she did the clouds parted and the sun came out, I said she’s gone and walked outside to see a magnificent sight of the entire area surrounded by clouds and the sun shining down on this little hospital on top of a hill.

As I looked up and imagined by wonderful wife spirit rising, a lone prison siren whaled from nearby Folsom Prison for just about a half of a minute.

That’s my wife always commanding a room when she entered or left, her ability to make others feel better about themselves when they met or talked to her was magical, she had a strong dose of X Factor and people felt it in them when they were around her. I was not surprised at all by my loves exit, she was so giving she gave us something even in passing, yet another wonderful moment.

She will be celebrated on Sunday 4/27/14 from 10:00am to 1:00pm at:

The Teegarden House Event Center

731 Plumas St, Yuba City, CA 95991

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:54 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:

Awe, that's a nice picture of Terri and her Dad. :mrgreen: Seriously, that's a very cool morning shot of y'all at Pacifica's beach. It looks like there's a few surfers out there waiting for a set to come in too. Good memories for ya Plookster. Thanks for sharing them with us, it's much appreciated by all. Thanks PIB for putting the pix up. :D 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:56 pm 

Thanks Scott

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:13 pm 

Plook, you wrote a touching one.
Loving life and leaving it with grace.
She sure was a special one.
:(

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:22 pm 

Absolute least I could do!

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:02 pm 

RIP Terri, RIP Billy Mundi...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:23 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Absolute least I could do!

Thank you PIB!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:35 am 

Earl Morrall

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2014/apr/25/nfl-naples-dolphins-quarterback-earl-morrall-dies/?CID=happeningnow

Though not noted as Elite, Earl Morrall was a more than serviceable QB in the NFL for many years. Many folks may not realize that the one team that ran the table, the 1972 Miami Dolphins, relied on Morrall to step in for an injured Bob Griese for a good part of the season.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:26 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Plook shared his final time with her wonderfully with us on the "Plook On Tour" thread:

Plook wrote:
My beautiful wife Terri passed today at 11:30am Pacific Time, in usual Terri fashion the doctors were late and she checked out on the machines, the doctor said he was amazed that she was able to do that. Her Father was very pleased and she saved me from giving the order, always thinking of others that woman.

It is a beautiful spring day in Folsom California, the type of day Terri loved cloudy with sun sometimes your warm, sometimes it’s cool. She even picked the day of the Grand Cardinal Cross planetary alignment, everything on time and big with her. We had several family and close friends telling stories and reminiscing, laughing more and crying some.

She was baptized Catholic so I summoned a Padre for last rights, which he performed magnificently. I gave him a hundred dollars, he said I owed nothing and I told him Terri would want his church to have it. When I went back in the room I told everyone Terri finally got my secret $100 bill I kept in my wallet for years, my daughters said that Terri had told them your dad thinks he’s slick, but I know he has a hundred dollar bill in his wallet he is saving for a special occasion. It was my pleasure to use it on her.

I asked the staff when we would start and they said the doctors were late. It was approximately 11:15, I asked for the room, everyone left and I shut the door and drew the privacy curtain. Outside the clouds were obscuring the sun, so the light in the room with a large window was subtle.

I explained to Terri how much I loved her and how I have been dreaming of her every night and I want her back but that it was time to go. I told her she fought so hard and so valiantly, that it was ok and to go to her Mother, my Dad, her stepmom, all her grandparents, all my relatives, and even our good dog Bella…they were all waiting to guide her across…the machines tracking her vitals began to drop steadily, the nurse knocked and entered she tried to bring her heart rate back up, she said uho. I called my son in law in the lobby and said get everyone in quick.

All arrived in time to see her pass and as she did the clouds parted and the sun came out, I said she’s gone and walked outside to see a magnificent sight of the entire area surrounded by clouds and the sun shining down on this little hospital on top of a hill.

As I looked up and imagined by wonderful wife spirit rising, a lone prison siren whaled from nearby Folsom Prison for just about a half of a minute.

That’s my wife always commanding a room when she entered or left, her ability to make others feel better about themselves when they met or talked to her was magical, she had a strong dose of X Factor and people felt it in them when they were around her. I was not surprised at all by my loves exit, she was so giving she gave us something even in passing, yet another wonderful moment.

She will be celebrated on Sunday 4/27/14 from 10:00am to 1:00pm at:

The Teegarden House Event Center

731 Plumas St, Yuba City, CA 95991

oh, man... sad news. hope you're doing okay, plook.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:06 pm 

Very sorry for your loss, Plook.

>You don't.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4390 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166 ... 176  Next