Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:31 pm 

Plook wrote:
First off the republicans have been obstructionist since he got in, there is not denying that and they remain so.

I never denied the Republicans were "obstructionist." My point was that your constant and unjustly defence of the Obama Administration's destructive policies solely due to the NSB, can't be entirely or anywhere near correct, nor should it be used as an excuse for their actions.

Plook wrote:
second no one likes a good conspiracy more than me, but there is no common thread or value to the end game.

Last, he did not close Gitmo and apparently will not, there is no upside to this for him...why...from there you have the extention of Afganastan that could have ended at least 2 years earlier and the drones...they know something and they are keeping a tight lid on it...

:smoke:

In order to further the discussions of these topics, you're going to have to be more specific...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:25 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
polydigm wrote:
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
If the USA goes bankrupt the world goes bankrupt.
A tad sycophantic.
I seems you are misusing this word, I am stating a fact, you obviously have a shallow grasp of world economics.
Whatever.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:11 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
ONCE AGAIN, I never said I was 100% Libertarian (neither is Ron Paul). I've stated on numerous occasions that after taking a test, I found out that I was 91% Libertarian.

Disco Boy wrote:

I never said I had to take a test. I took the test because I saw it online somewhere and I was curious. I already knew I wasn't 100% Libertarian, smart ass.

:?

BTW did Ron Paul take the test too?

What was the other 9%, then?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:49 am 

caputh wrote:
...What was the other 9%, then?
appliantologynaryan

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:16 am 

What will you do when the label comes off?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:26 pm 

Caputh wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
ONCE AGAIN, I never said I was 100% Libertarian (neither is Ron Paul). I've stated on numerous occasions that after taking a test, I found out that I was 91% Libertarian.

Disco Boy wrote:

I never said I had to take a test. I took the test because I saw it online somewhere and I was curious. I already knew I wasn't 100% Libertarian, smart ass.

:?

Cat got your tongue?

Caputh wrote:
BTW did Ron Paul take the test too?

Why don't you ask him instead?

Caputh wrote:
What was the other 9%, then?

I don't remember. Do you want me to look it up?

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:39 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:

Please.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:40 pm 

Caputh wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

Please.

:roll:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:44 pm 

http://investmentwatchblog.com/stockman ... formation/

This guy used to serve under Ronald Reagan. It's kind of a dumb article but his new book sounds like something you guys might be interested at.

He say prepare for bad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:23 pm 

What do you call an almost Liberatarian?.......A Republican. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:22 pm 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:

What do u call almost a democat ? An ass gasket filter at a sewage treatment plant ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:03 pm 

Little_Sally wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:

What do u call almost a democat ? An ass gasket filter at a sewage treatment plant ?
You know the difference between a gasket and a filter, right?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:20 am 

Jon Stewart interview with David Stockman.

http://12160.info/page/david-stockman-t ... -video-cli

http://www.wakingtimes.com/2013/04/03/t ... formation/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:20 am 

polydigm wrote:
Little_Sally wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:

He didn't get the joke. Apparently he forgot to change his own ass gasket filter and shat hisself, and/or his post count got too high again... :lol:

Quote:
Scalping: Capitalism or crime?

...The publication Entertainment and Sports Lawyer estimates the "secondary ticket market" is a $5 billion business with a growth rate of about 12%. Myles Kaufman at the ticket search engine SeatGeek found 29 states have laws regarding the resale of tickets. But only a handful, he says, have outright bans or strong regulations. And those laws are often hard to enforce.

Efforts to get a Fairness in Ticketing Act passed in Tennessee's legislature failed last week. Several big venues supported the bill, which would have required ticket brokers to register with state authorities and disclose both the original price and seat number of tickets....

http://money.msn.com/now/post.aspx?post ... fa8d07efb0

The money gouged by the brokers/scalpers never goes to the artist, teams/athletes, venues, and various venue employee's, and should should come as no surprise that Republicans support this form of racketeering and piracy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:35 pm 

A rope leash wrote:
http://investmentwatchblog.com/stockman-condemns-america-the-future-is-bleak-he-warns-of-a-state-wreck-ahead-of-a-coming-apocalypse-of-the-great-deformation/

This guy used to serve under Ronald Reagan. It's kind of a dumb article but his new book sounds like something you guys might be interested at.

He say prepare for bad.

Jon Stewart interview with David Stockman.

http://12160.info/page/david-stockman-t ... -video-cli

Excellence personified.

Thank you.

tweedle-dumb wrote:

You just keep on tellin' yourself that, Sparky...

polydigm wrote:
Little_Sally wrote:

Maybe not...but I bet she sure knows what the definitions of "Capitalism" & "capital" are...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:39 am 

You didn't get it either... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:30 pm 

I am curious about capitalism in how it effects the individual.

The way I've seen it, it's a running game. By that I mean it is well underway before you enter the contest.

The individual is presented with capitalistic opportunities. The nature of these opportunities and what the individual does with them is the seed of success, and the crop is nature's bounty, or Earth's treasure, to the individual.

Some folks get great opportunities.

But even good opportunities are rare. For me, in the local game I'm playing Midwest USA, a guy like me is lucky to be working.

By a "guy like me" I mean a fifty-something.

I have deliberately removed myself from quite a few reasonable opportunities. I have made myself quite available in the fields I work in, and by "fields" I mean I'm the guy that goes out there and represents the corporation in some aspect, for whatever reason, and my line is traveling distances for low-voltage cabling, *SPAM* inspection, delivery, or loading bent up pallet racking onto a flatbed from North Carolina driven by a crank-dealing mountain boy with a 1938 Yale forklift in frozen fucking rain turned to mud In goddamn New Jersey and the help they sent with to ride in my 1987 Ford Crown Victoria fresh out of prison like somefreakin fucking sociological experiment running up the credit card with beer drinking and whoring not doing shot workwise and who the fuck wants this ice covered steel and who is making money I am not and what the fuck was he doing in the motel bathroom for six hours with that big weird fucker who brought along that ugly slut I had to turn down.

?

Don't get me wrong.

I've had some pretty high-class jobs.

I can sing, too.

Anyway, let's take for example the job I just did.

My ass is beat. This is what I know.

I've worked for this guy before. I'm trying to get away from him, but the other selections have available have also proven to be lying cocksuckers.

These are not your normal jobs. A couple of decades ago persons in this business were treated well.

Now, slavery.

Well let's face it. I could have gone on that pizza roll-out. The two punks running it had worse shoes than mine, and I was there for an interview. These guys could not be worse in the position of inspiring confidence. The job meant flying twice a week, and nightwork wiring up jack-off nationwide pizza-pushing fuckheads nobody cares about but they got tons of cheese. O that sounds like fun but your fluids will have to be tested for the rental car insurance fucking company because they don't want to have to fucking pay for reality of human existence.

O hey that's great. You might have mentioned it in your job posting, dumbass.

I'll go back to my pimp.

Contract.

Field Services.

So I wired up this beauty shop tonight. There was this thirty-eight year-old musician-hairdresser guy there, who talked shit about life and modern music to the female hairdressers singing along with the piped-in pabulum to the point where I had to restrain myself from from starkly informing him of the gigantic mass-deception.

I am there because my pimp set me up with a company that is working with a company that is working for the beauty shop chain which is a wholly-owned entity of a truly major corporation.

I'm getting gang-banged.

So I wire this fucking place up but I can't fish the walls so I gotta go get some wire molding blah blah bah make six or seven phone calls to comfort the fuckers that are making a living out of my old tired ass then troubleshoot the fucking equipment with some guy who knows his shit over the phone for six hours but I got out of there just as the last stylist was leaving and she was glad to sing five times and swear she was the manager then I had to send in all the documentation photos forms and photos of forms yada yada yada capitalism sucks.

My life is this way because capitalism has run its course. The game is being shut-down due to heavy debts. All it is now in the USA is some sort of massive anal chain-fuck.

O! If only I had a union!

The dick would be pulled out of my ass and the real greedy on-top fuckers would spew their worst upon my buns, and I would never birth the savior.

They would just decide the fucking beauty parlor didn't need no fancy wired-up shit.

I gotta laugh at how they keep calling me, though.

There's some real important shit hooked up to this stuff.

Nukes and shit.

We're really stupid.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:30 pm 

I am curious about capitalism in how it effects the individual.

The way I've seen it, it's a running game. By that I mean it is well underway before you enter the contest.

The individual is presented with capitalistic opportunities. The nature of these opportunities and what the individual does with them is the seed of success, and the crop is nature's bounty, or Earth's treasure, to the individual.

Some folks get great opportunities.

But even good opportunities are rare. For me, in the local game I'm playing Midwest USA, a guy like me is lucky to be working.

By a "guy like me" I mean a fifty-something.

I have deliberately removed myself from quite a few reasonable opportunities. I have made myself quite available in the fields I work in, and by "fields" I mean I'm the guy that goes out there and represents the corporation in some aspect, for whatever reason, and my line is traveling distances for low-voltage cabling, *SPAM* inspection, delivery, or loading bent up pallet racking onto a flatbed from North Carolina driven by a crank-dealing mountain boy with a 1938 Yale forklift in frozen fucking rain turned to mud In goddamn New Jersey and the help they sent with to ride in my 1987 Ford Crown Victoria fresh out of prison like somefreakin fucking sociological experiment running up the credit card with beer drinking and whoring not doing shot workwise and who the fuck wants this ice covered steel and who is making money I am not and what the fuck was he doing in the motel bathroom for six hours with that big weird fucker who brought along that ugly slut I had to turn down.

?

Don't get me wrong.

I've had some pretty high-class jobs.

I can sing, too.

Anyway, let's take for example the job I just did.

My ass is beat. This is what I know.

I've worked for this guy before. I'm trying to get away from him, but the other selections have I available have also proven to be lying cocksuckers.

These are not your normal jobs. A couple of decades ago persons in this business were treated well.

Now, slavery.

Well let's face it. I could have gone on that pizza roll-out. The two punks running it had worse shoes than mine, and I was there for an interview. These guys could not be worse in the position of inspiring confidence. The job meant flying twice a week, and nightwork wiring up jack-off nationwide pizza-pushing fuckheads nobody cares about but they got tons of cheese. O that sounds like fun but your fluids will have to be tested for the rental car insurance fucking company because they don't want to have to fucking pay for the reality of human existence.

O hey that's great. You might have mentioned it in your job posting, dumbass.

I'll go back to my pimp.

Contract.

Field Services.

So I wired up this beauty shop tonight. There was this thirty-eight year-old musician-hairdresser guy there, who talked shit about life and modern music to the female hairdressers singing along with the piped-in pabulum to the point where I had to restrain myself from from starkly informing him of the gigantic mass-deception.

I am there because my pimp set me up with a company that is working with a company that is working for the beauty shop chain which is a wholly-owned entity of a truly major corporation.

I'm getting gang-banged.

So I wire this fucking place up but I can't fish the walls so I gotta go get some wire molding blah blah bah make six or seven phone calls to comfort the fuckers that are making a living out of my old tired ass then troubleshoot the fucking equipment with some guy who knows his shit over the phone for six hours but I got out of there just as the last stylist was leaving and she was glad to sign five times and swear she was the manager then I had to send in all the documentation photos forms and photos of forms yada yada yada capitalism sucks.

My life is this way because capitalism has run its course. The game is being shut-down due to heavy debts. All it is now in the USA is some sort of massive anal chain-fuck.

O! If only I had a union!

The dick would be pulled out of my ass and the real greedy on-top fuckers would spew their worst upon my buns, and I would never birth the savior.

They would just decide the fucking beauty parlor didn't need no fancy wired-up shit.

I gotta laugh at how they keep calling me, though.

There's some real important shit hooked up to this stuff.

Nukes and shit.

We're really stupid.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:12 pm 

I liked Thom Hartmann's blog today...

The Middle Class is not "Normal"

There’s nothing “normal” about having a middle class. Having a middle class is a choice that a society has to make, and it’s a choice we need to make again in this generation, if we want to stop the destruction of the remnants of the last generation's middle class. Despite what you might read in the Wall Street Journal or see on Fox News, capitalism is not an economic system that produces a middle class. In fact, if left to its own devices, capitalism tends towards vast levels of inequality and monopoly. The natural and most stable state of capitalism actually looks a lot like the Victorian England depicted in Charles Dickens’ novels.

At the top there is a very small class of superrich. Below them, there is a slightly larger, but still very small, "middle" class of professionals and mercantilists - doctor, lawyers, shop-owners - who help keep things running for the superrich and supply the working poor with their needs. And at the very bottom there is the great mass of people - typically over 90 percent of the population - who make up the working poor. They have no wealth - in fact they're typically in debt most of their lives - and can barely survive on what little money they make.

So, for average working people, there is no such thing as a middle class in “normal” capitalism. Wealth accumulates at the very top among the elites, not among everyday working people. Inequality is the default option.

You can see this trend today in America. When we had heavily regulated and taxed capitalism in the post-war era, the largest employer in America was General Motors, and they paid working people what would be, in today's dollars, about $50 an hour with benefits. Reagan began deregulating and cutting taxes on capitalism in 1981, and today, with more classical "raw capitalism," what we call "Reaganomics," or "supply side economics," our nation's largest employer is WalMart and they pay around $10 an hour.

This is how quickly capitalism reorients itself when the brakes of regulation and taxes are removed - this huge change was done in less than 35 years. The only ways a working-class "middle class" can come about in a capitalist society are by massive social upheaval - a middle class emerged after the Black Plague in Europe in the 14th century - or by heavily taxing the rich.

French economist Thomas Piketty has talked about this at great length in his groundbreaking new book, Capital in the Twenty-First Century. He argues that the middle class that came about in Western Europe and the United States during the mid-twentieth was the direct result of a peculiar set of historical events. According to Piketty, the post-World War II middle class was created by two major things: the destruction of European inherited wealth during the war and higher taxes on the rich, most of which were rationalized by the war. This brought wealth and income at the top down, and raised working people up into a middle class.

Piketty is right, especially about the importance of high marginal tax rates and inheritance taxes being necessary for the creation of a middle class that includes working-class people. Progressive taxation, when done correctly, pushes wages down to working people and reduces the incentives for the very rich to pillage their companies or rip off their workers. After all, why take another billion when 91 percent of it just going to be paid in taxes?

This is the main reason why, when GM was our largest employer and our working class were also in the middle class, CEOs only took home 30 times what working people did. The top tax rate for all the time America's middle class was created was between 74 and 91 percent. Until, of course, Reagan dropped it to 28 percent and working people moved from the middle class to becoming the working poor.

Other policies, like protective tariffs and strong labor laws also help build a middle class, but progressive taxation is the most important because it is the most direct way to transfer money from the rich to the working poor, and to create a disincentive to theft or monopoly by those at the top.

History shows how important high taxes on the rich are for creating a strong middle class. If you compare a chart showing the historical top income tax rate over the course of the twentieth century with a chart of income inequality in the United States over roughly the same time period, you’ll see that the period with the highest taxes on the rich - the period between the Roosevelt and Reagan administrations - was also the period with the lowest levels of economic inequality.

You’ll also notice that since marginal tax rates started to plummet during the Reagan years, income inequality has skyrocketed.

Even more striking, during those same 33 years since Reagan took office and started cutting taxes on the rich, income levels for the top 1 percent have ballooned while income levels for everyone else have stayed pretty much flat. Coincidence? I think not.

Creating a middle class is always a choice, and by embracing Reaganomics and cutting taxes on the rich, we decided back in 1980 not to have a middle class within a generation or two. George H.W. Bush saw this, and correctly called it "Voodoo Economics." And we're still in the era of Reaganomics - as President Obama recently pointed out, Reagan was a successful revolutionary.

This, of course, is exactly what conservatives always push for. When wealth is spread more equally among all parts of society, people start to expect more from society and start demanding more rights. That leads to social instability, which is feared and hated by conservatives, even though revolutionaries and liberals like Thomas Jefferson welcome it.

And, as Kirk and Buckley predicted back in the 1950s, this is exactly what happened in the 1960s and '70s when taxes on the rich were at their highest. The Civil Rights movement, the women’s movement, the consumer movement, the anti-war movement, and the environmental movement - social movements that grew out of the wealth and rising expectations of the post-World War II era's middle class - these all terrified conservatives. Which is why ever since they took power in 1980, they've made gutting working people out of the middle class their number one goal.

We now have a choice in this country. We can either continue going down the road to oligarchy, the road we’ve been on since the Reagan years, or we can choose to go on the road to a more pluralistic society with working class people able to make it into the middle class. We can't have both.

And if we want to go down the road to letting working people back into the middle class, it all starts with taxing the rich. The time is long past due for us to roll back the Reagan tax cuts.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:49 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:

Why? Almost NONE of it is accurate. Especially considering Hartmann doesn't even know that we do NOT even live in a capitalist economy. Nor does he know anything about Keynesianism or the Chicago or Austrian schools of economics, etc...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:16 am 

Sorry, DB, not a very insightful reply. You seem stuck somehow. Oh, well, too bad. I suppose next I'll hear some more of your thoughts on MIXED economies. Round things are boring. Merry-Go-Round doot doot doot. I should wonder what comments would come from The DB School of Economics... but I'd rather not.

Last edited by The Forum Killed Arkay on Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:20 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:

Why? Almost NONE of it is accurate. Especially considering Hartmann doesn't even know that we do NOT even live in a capitalist economy. Nor does he know anything about Keynesianism or the Chicago or Austrian schools of economics, etc...

Well, although he doesn't mention the Austrian Scool of Economics, one has to admit that the proponents are a tough, if not sinewy read.
When I quoted the following from, amongst others, Hayek...
Quote:
"The error of Social Darwinism was that it concentrated on the individual rather than on that of institutions and practices, and on the selection of the innate rather than on culturally transmitted capacities of the individuals[...]
These rules of conduct have thus not developed as the recognized conditions for the achievement of a known purpose, but have evolved because the groups who practised them were more successful and displaced others. They were rules which, given the kind of environment in which man lived, secured that a greater number of the groups or individuals would survive. . The problem of conducting himself successfully in a world only partially known to man was thus solved by adhering to rules which would serve him well but which he did not and could not know to be true in the Cartesian sense."

You described the quotes I employed as...
Disco Boy wrote:
[...] not even sinew anymore. It's now thick and sticky spider-webs bathed in crude oil...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:19 am 

I stopped reading rk's post , at the reference to the wall street journal and fox news. I am now interested as to what msnbc, cnn, cnbc, cbs, nbc, abc, rfd, espn, and the rest are supposedly saying. These type of blogs are boring, and inaccurate opinions at best.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:39 am 

It is an opinion piece, that is true. At least you admitted that you didn't read it. As far as the topic though, which it seems that you did read, do you have thoughts on the whether the middle class survives or are you saying that the middle class is just fine and is in no danger of shrinking further?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:56 am 

I think the entire US economy is at jepordy . Today, imo ,the increasing debt, is the biggest problem, you simply cannot continue to spend more than you take in, especially on such a large scale. it has an adverse effect on all levels of the income earners. Pointing fingers at one aspect of the economy is to simplistic .If the us economy would start to thrive it would bring EVERY one up monetarily. Life ain't easy, in general people now days want to start a job that they love, make a great wage from the start, and have every social benefit given to them for free, to many current politicians are getting votes promising things they can't deliver, then those schmucks spend the tax dollars to satisfy their constituents, and that has nothing positive for the economy, for the most part. Our country has a strong economic engine, but it is being squandered buy the people in charge. To much ideology. One can still kick ass economically in this country but is is harder than ever. I am fairly old, 60's and for me it has never been easy, and i am not rich, but do have enough to keep me happy, a friend thinks my income is poverty, he needs 100k plus to be happy. So short story long, yea middle class shrinking, thank the guy in the white house and the senate, as their ideology is tax more , top 1% is taxed the highest, so high over a trillion bucks are over seas, and the lie that no one under 200k won't get a tax increase? Come on we see it every where due the current policies. let's go flat tax. But then the guy making 20k a year would have to pay some income tax unlike now , hell i now a gal that brags about keeping her wage at a rate where she can live but still pays no income tax, and gets 2k earned incomr credit, she says that is her bar money, and she votes dem cause guys got her a free phone and promise free birth control. so it is complicated and politicians know it and prey on low information voters.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 23  Next