Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:03 pm 

News from the SecondDisc website about a FZ Record Store Day release and more:

"Frank Zappa, “Don’t Eat The Yellow Snow” and “Down In De Dew” (7” single| “Don’t Eat The Yellow Snow” FZ 1974 single edit reissue | “Down In De Dew” FZ 1973 Alternate Mix – previously unreleased)

“This sizzles if you like Frank Zappa,” Gayle Zappa says. Recorded in 1974, yet originally unreleased, “Don’t Eat The Yellow Snow” and “Down In De Dew” are from the forthcoming 40th Anniversary Edition of Apostrophe(’) and will be available for the first time on a 7” single.

I have no other information except what I read on the site above.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:37 pm 

First thought - wow, great!

Second - hope I won't have to buy (') once again for some bonus material...

Third - will Universal release it, as it was mentioned under the headline 'Universal announces'?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:53 am 

Oh how unique! A 7" single.....

40th anniversary Apostrophe' ?? Fuck yeah! give me all the outtakes of the "Apostrophe' " jam...what no outtakes you say? ...it was a jam...oh ok...

How about five versions of "Uncle Remus"....

As an illustrious past member of this forum once wrote..."If you mix a Zappa fart in stereo, i'll buy it".....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:12 am 

I would not qualify this as the same kind of project/object like Mofo or Lumpy Money, it looks to me like some classic "deluxe edition" that usually is released for big selling records... I think we will find it in shops too like Understanding America. I don't know what could be on there... If Zappa was a normal artist :) a second cd could been added with some live show from the period, but we know that FZ is not the kind of artist that tours to "promote" a record in the strict sense of the word so we already have shows from that period... Maybe we could have the extended Apostrophe... a couple of song fade-out on the record... maybe Rollo was recorded but just there was'nt space for it on the LP... the original context of Excentrifugal forz would be nice too... I'd love to have some real outtakes (no demo, or backing tracks) but I don't think there are NEW songs never released... I'm totally wrong?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:07 am 

DC Boogie wrote:
First thought - wow, great!

Second - hope I won't have to buy (') once again for some bonus material...

Third - will Universal release it, as it was mentioned under the headline 'Universal announces'?

1 - YES Great!

2 - Then don't, dummy.

3 - Could it be any more obvious? :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:13 am 

Yeah I'm not excited about buying this again. (But I will of course.)

Did anyone ever figure out if the Grand Rights Project/Object logo on the UME reissues means there will be an expanded version of that release? If so, Apostrophe has that logo on it. And if that is true, I don't see them doing the UME release, then a 40th Anniversary, then an expanded Project/Object version. I'm thinking the 40th Anniversary release (if legit) would more than likely be the Project/Object version.

Since we're already technically past the actual 40th Anniversary, who knows when this might come out. Could it be release #100?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:17 am 

I imagine that (given the length of the original album) this will be more like the Greasy Love Songs 'audio documentary project/object', and just a single disc.

Whatever, can't wait!

Zappa music and much, much MOO-AH!
www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

Last edited by The Idiot Bastard on Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:32 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
40th anniversary Apostrophe' ?? Fuck yeah! give me all the outtakes of the "Apostrophe' " jam...what no outtakes you say? ...it was a jam...oh ok...

If I recall right, Jim Gordon's drum track in "Down In The Dew" is from sections of the jam not used in the album track, so there probably are outtakes (and that could be one of the most interesting parts of this release).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:39 am 

The version of DITD on the single is a different mix than what's Lather. Very cool.

From what we heard from the multitracks in the (')/OS documentary this could turn out to be a really awesome special edition.

Maybe and hopefully FZ also had some other alt mixes ready to go that we'll get to hear.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:32 am 

Record Store Day is tommorow right? Is this release #100?

EDIT: Sorry Val, somehow missed your last sentence. I'll leave my question here to hang my shame publicly.

I went to see if Zappa.com had any news... anyone bought the new Holland Greco Album yet :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:45 am 

Grimpoteuthis wrote:
EDIT: Sorry Val, somehow missed your last sentence. I'll leave my question here to hang my shame publicly.

Nothing is true, everything is permitted :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:47 pm 

Grimpoteuthis wrote:

I went to see if Zappa.com had any news... anyone bought the new Holland Greco Album yet :D

Drum Machine music, just listened on spotify, nothing amazing or special.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:45 pm 

mistrijah wrote:
Grimpoteuthis wrote:

Drum Machine music, just listened on spotify, nothing amazing or special.

Anyone bought ANY Holland Greco music?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:03 pm 

Fucking hell...we need more info about this release and FAST! :twisted:

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:00 pm 

Well, this sucks because I LITERALLY just got my 2012 remaster CD of Apostrophe (') in the mail YESTERDAY from amazon (Barfko has been out of the early records, so I bought this along with Hot Rats & Burnt Weeny Sandwich). Just missed getting the 7" single in my local shop today, though managed to pick up the "Big Leg Emma" single instead (weird, I know). I already had the Apostrophe (') / Overnite Sensation dual-disc I had gotten used in 2006, but I grew to realize the quality is TERRIBLE. So I finally just got the remaster, finished listening twice... and see this news. I'm sure I'll buy it by year's end, but I have a feeling it will make the 2012 CD pointless...

I also think it'll fit on one disc, unless they do stretch it out with live material and interviews/dialogue recordings.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:51 pm 

I think they could be crazy enough to add a version of Uncle Remus from 1988, Apostrophe from a FZ/Beefheart tour, Stink-foot from another year and so on...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:59 pm 

I sure hope they don't stick the '88 Remus on there...

Because we need another compilation style 88 release with the songs not covered. (Republican Medley, Uncle Remus, etc...)

(and then a couple complete 88 shows to boot + 3 dvd releases)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:09 pm 

if this is a p/o style album, it could have plenty of unreleased material including roxy/ons/(') studio sessions, outtakes like the alt. ending on nanook rubs it, plenty of other alt. takes, more ikettes, jack bruce, erroneous, the fucking drummers gordon/guerin/dunbar/humphrey, duke, ponty, both underwoods, sal, ray collins, ruben & frog etc. etc

a unique time with overlap between late m.o.i. remnants, the wazoo bands & mid-70s mothers ... very appropriate for n.100

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:55 am 

Went to pick up the 7" yesterday.
Got to the store at 9 - opened at 10.
Guy directly in front of me literally wandered in and grabbed everything he could get his hands on.
I saw him grab the Zappa 7" and I literally begged him for it, telling him it was all I actually wanted.
He laughed and said, "I'm selling all of these on ebay today. Tough luck."
Asshole. I could have punched him in his smug British face.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:32 am 

http://www.amazon.com/apostrophe-LP-FRA ... B00117FGLY

That's college rhythm...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:53 pm 

Great news; I'm glad the 40th/Project/Object series will go on. If Uncle Meat and Hot Rats don't get the treatment I'll be a sad Zappateer.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:49 am 

Well knowing Gail's penchant for releasing releases...let's hope we get this BEFORE the 41st anniversary! :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:40 am 

It would be fitting that the material surrounding Apostrophe gets the deluxe treatment since RBP examines some of the same time period live, and it would be good to learn more than the vid taught us about the composing during that time, but I have no idea when it will see the light of day.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:24 am 

Ahmet's 40th birthday is May 15th, so maybe around that time might be an appropriate release date? US releases are usually on a Tuesday, so maybe the 13th or 20th of May. C'mon GZ give us a clue!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:33 pm 

Show of hands for the pre order...............................