Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:57 am 

"You wouldn't feel able to get to them sufficiently closely with just records?"

"Not really, because I've got so much stuff all ready to release now that I can't put out because you've got to wait three or four months between albums because the company who's distributing your stuff say they don't get a chance to recoup their money if you do it in less.

"In fact we just had a jam session all night, I guess about a month ago. Jean-Luc Ponty happened to be in town and so did George Duke and a number of other west coast jazz men, so we had a jam session in the mix room upstairs in a recording studio in Los Angeles. It was unusual because the only thing that was being picked up by a microphone was the drums and everything else was being plugged directly into the board through transducers.

"So consequently everyone except the drummer was standing around the console and they could hear themselves perfectly at high volume in quad – no charts, and nobody even said we'll play this or that, we just turned the tape recorder on and started cranking away.

"We recorded all different combinations of instruments from seven in the evening to seven in the morning; and I can't release it because I already have another album in the can that's set for release in three week's time in the States, and then we're doing some live recording over here and I won't be able to put that out until ... And whenever you put an album out people assume that I'm totally committed to that at the time, that that's my new direction or something.

Makes it sound like there is a mixed and ready jam session album, unless bits and pieces of this have found themselves elsewhere?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:35 am 

WOW!! I had never seen that article before. Sounds like that jam session was fucking killer!! Email sent to the Vaultmeister asking if he knows anything about it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:55 am 

WOW! Awesome! This would be supercool as a Corsaga thing!

Maybe RDNZL and Inca Roads on Lost Episodes are from this. And maybe Canard du Jour. Maybe also as some basic tracks during the läther era?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:57 am 

Soracha wrote:
Maybe RDNZL and Inca Roads on Lost Episodes are from this.

No. Those were written pieces.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:59 am 

Another thought: Since this is from the end of 1972, that jam session could have been the inspiration for the 1973 Ponty band. Some of the stuff on Over-nite Sensation and Apostrophe could also be from there.

Maybe, maybe not. The possibility exists!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:01 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
Soracha wrote:

Yeah, I know. But maybe they tried those out also.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:10 pm 

Soracha wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
Soracha wrote:

Yeah, I know. But maybe they tried those out also.

Uh... no!!

"no charts, and nobody even said we'll play this or that, we just turned the tape recorder on and started cranking away."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:20 pm 

Man I hope that Joe can shed some additional info on this.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:59 pm 

This just HAS to be released at some point! :twisted:

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:43 pm 

Since FZ doesn't seem to have released much (if anything) from this, maybe it wasn't that good. Still curious about it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:02 pm 

Seems pretty excited about it in the interview. I think its more likely the sound quality isn't great given the transducer/quad experimentalness of it all or not wanting to pigeonholed after GW and WJ it sat unreleased until it was largely forgotten.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:03 pm 

pbuzby wrote:
Since FZ doesn't seem to have released much (if anything) from this, maybe it wasn't that good. Still curious about it.

i think FZ always have something new to do and don t mind the old projects, look at lather or finer moments

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:13 pm 

pbuzby wrote:

He also did not release Crush All Boxes, Resolver+Brutality or Roxy By Proxy ... to name a few.

Anyway, this one also makes me curious; though it probably doesn't have any music on it http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/w ... ml#kennedy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:07 pm 

brunofulax wrote:
pbuzby wrote:

He also did not release Crush All Boxes, Resolver+Brutality or Roxy By Proxy ... to name a few.

True although he did incorporate parts of Crush All Boxes (as well as Lather and Finer Moments) into later releases.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:35 pm 

Joe's Jamage Plan

I signed on the line for seven long years.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:32 am 

This really does sound like a perfect candidate for the Joe's release criteria. Here's hoping we hear back....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:34 pm 

This is nothing short of a revelation!!

What happened to UNCLE MEAT though??????......

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:22 am 

I'm amazed that the misconception of "RDNZL" and "Inca Roads" (The Lost Episodes editions) being recorded in 1972 still persists, even though it's been established that both pieces come from Spring '73 (listen to the earliest live versions of "RDNZL" and you'll hear how provisional they sound in comparison to "The Lost Episodes" versions).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:01 pm 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
I'm amazed that the misconception of "RDNZL" and "Inca Roads" (The Lost Episodes editions) being recorded in 1972 still persists, even though it's been established that both pieces come from Spring '73 (listen to the earliest live versions of "RDNZL" and you'll hear how provisional they sound in comparison to "The Lost Episodes" versions).

Are you sure? In the CD booklet it says 1972?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:46 pm 

mistrijah wrote:

FZ's memory for dates was bad by the time he did the liner notes for that release. According to Musician's Union reports "RDNZL" and "Inca Roads" were recorded early April 1973.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:47 am 

pbuzby wrote:
mistrijah wrote:

FZ's memory for dates was bad by the time he did the liner notes for that release. According to Musician's Union reports "RDNZL" and "Inca Roads" were recorded early April 1973.

I would probably pin it even somewhere between 11th and 23rd of March: simply because Sal Marquez did not play on these songs and both tunes had provisional elements when performed up until the 11th of March gig (one section double-speed in RDNZL and 4/4 solo vamp in Inca).

And yes, FZ' memory wasn't too good by the end of it. He clearly thought the Oct-Dec '73 was "the early days of the 1973 band". So the JLP ensemble for him was still '72.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:24 am 

pbuzby wrote:
brunofulax wrote:
pbuzby wrote:

True although he did incorporate parts of Crush All Boxes (as well as Lather and Finer Moments) into later releases.

The guy (sorry but i don`t remember the name) that mixed the crush all boxes in the interview also talk about another unreleased album without name that lies in the vault

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:29 am 

pbuzby wrote:
Since FZ doesn't seem to have released much (if anything) from this

Cannot Canard Du Jour come from this sessions?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:59 am 

balint wrote:
pbuzby wrote:
Since FZ doesn't seem to have released much (if anything) from this

Cannot Canard Du Jour come from this sessions?

Checking IINK I see it lists Canard as being from circa August 1972 Paramount Studios in L.A., so perhaps this is indeed from this mystery jam session.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:14 pm 

This may be a thread somewhere, but it would be worth having a contest or a battle or whatever - what is the vote on which was Frank's best year overall (live and in the studio). 1973, 1967 or 1980 I can't decide...