Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:26 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
ronald noomster wrote:
Did the Cubs make it this year?
no, but the giants just pummeled the detroit pussies [again] ... it would be great to see a sweep, but there's a slim possibility the last fucking game could be played here on halloween, and if you've ever been to sf on halloween, you'd know it goes way beyond bongos in the dirt, & combining halloween with a world series win would detonate a seismic party eruption big enough to set off another 7.1 quake

I can verifiy all of the above to be true.As long as cops don't try and break things up all will be an earth shake,shake,shakin' in party,man. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:00 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
slime.oofytv.set wrote:
ronald noomster wrote:
Did the Cubs make it this year?
no, but the giants just pummeled the detroit pussies [again] ... it would be great to see a sweep, but there's a slim possibility the last fucking game could be played here on halloween, and if you've ever been to sf on halloween, you'd know it goes way beyond bongos in the dirt, & combining halloween with a world series win would detonate a seismic party eruption big enough to set off another 7.1 quake

I can verifiy all of the above to be true.As long as cops don't try and break things up all will be an earth shake,shake,shakin' in party,man. 8)

That would be something, Giants look solid this may only go 4... :smoke:

Post subject: re: why baseball matters
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:00 pm 

after warming up for 10 innings, the fat lady's sounding pretty good about now

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:07 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
after warming up for 10 innings, the fat lady's sounding pretty good about now

..don't she sound good now? The old sWeep.

Halloween SF this year....priceless! :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:10 am 

Here's Brandon Crawford as a five-year-old San Francisco Giants fan in 1992:

And here's Brandon Crawford twenty years later, as the starting shortstop for the San Francisco Giants:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:18 am 

VIDEO OF MICHAEL PINEDA GETTING CAUGHT HERE :arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaOjaFN3gqM

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:32 pm 

I had forgotten about this thread! So, by way of updating my son's baseball status, things are good. Last summer he was recruited by several schools, and committed to pitch at Western Illinois University, a Division I school. He also got a healthy scholarship (that's good for me!). He's a senior now and feeling pretty good about himself overall. In his high school league, he's got a .075 ERA and averages 10 strikeouts per game.

Sometimes, life is just simple and good....... :D

Here he is in action......

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:11 pm 

Good lookin' kid RN. What's his ERA and overall record? Does he have a special go-to pitch? What's his dream team come draft time? More info, please! Does he listen to FZ before a game, etcetera? 8)

Brag some, I/we all would in your shoes! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:42 am 

Well he hates FZ so that's a major flaw right there. He's 18 dude!

Current ERA is .075. He has an average speed fastball at 88mph, but it has a lot of natural movement so it's a good pitch for him. What got him recruited was his curve, or should I say curves because he can do almost anything he wants with it. He also has a great slider and change. He's definitely a strikeout/ground ball kind of pitcher. Averages about 10 K a game (7 innings). Last year, he went 11-0 for the season. The season before that he went 0-11, and this year he's 3-2 so far. The team is pretty bad in general. The usual scenario is he pitches a gem but the team commits several errors in each game and couldn't score to save their lives! Sometimes he grows weary of carrying the team on his back......

He doesn't follow MLB much, but he can tell you anything you want to know about college baseball. None of us are naive enough to think he could get drafted by the pros; too many things have to fall together just perfectly for that to happen. He's happy playing D1 and getting an education.

He's currently slumping at the plate, but he's a hitter so he'll bounce back. Last year he led the team with a .418 average.

Thanks for the interest KK!

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:06 am 

I was a right fielder at 7 then went to a pitcher up until 14-15yrs old. Moms would save the little league stats and clippings. A typical one would read that I hit a grand slam in a losing effort to Whitecliff Roofing or I pitched the 1st no-hitter of the season while on the last place team, Lutz Ford. Stuff like that. Funny now, but I wished I had stayed with it longer. Back in my day there was the jocks and then the rest of us. They didn't know what to think of a longhaired "Monster On The Mound" as I was referred to in '64. A few would call me a girl and I'd let a "wild pitch" sail at their freakin' heads. That stopped that shit real quick! I was the go to guy for the LL Major's when they needed to round out a roster or forfeit the game when I was an Intermediate League player. The first year I played I had one hit, stole second and was thrown out trying for third. It's amazing I went back. I'm glad I did, I found out I could hit and led the league in HR's and RBI's that next year and repeated that same feat my last year. Baseballs a very cool sport! It sounds like yer kids got his head on straight about the game. The naturally best kids don't take themselves too seriously and therefor have more fun. When it becomes a job that doesn't pay, is when ya start to loose interest.
I hope your young man stays healthy and takes care of that arm, it might be golden later on in life. Ya never know! :wink: 8)
EDIT: In '67 I bought AB and became a ZappaFreak! :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:23 pm 

Those are pretty impressive numbers RN (you too KK). Getting his education is the important thing but I would think as a D1 recruit the possibility of getting drafted is not totally out of the question. Personally, I had a hard time making the jump from the Little League mound to the regulation mound. I played baseball through high school and pitched on the jv team. I was so slow the other team used to laugh at me when I was warming up. As slow as I was, my breaking stuff and my control wasn't much better. Not surprisingly, I was a perfect 0 and whatever during my high school career.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:24 am 

Yes, education is the big kahuna. One of the reasons he committed to WIU was the athletic academic program they had to make sure the players stay on top of their off field responsibilities. It's pretty rigorous.

My biggest worry is his arm. Pitching is a very unnatural thing, physically. Career ending arm injuries are really common....

Me? I played grade school level baseball, but didn't play in high school. That was a good decision because I stunk.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:15 am 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
My biggest worry is his arm. Pitching is a very unnatural thing, physically. Career ending arm injuries are really common....

Your right to worry, I read recently that the Tommy John types of surgery and rehap has become the norm for pitchers ever since Tommy John had the first surgery of that kind and it worked for him. They don't stress enough to the young players that it doesn't always work and sometimes does more harm than good to a young arm. Just "get 'er done" is their mantra. :roll: :(

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:53 am 

Sam (my son) had arm troubles early on, pre-high school. He had a well meaning coach who taught him the wrong mechanics of throwing. We got to become good pals with his docs and therapists..... Then, we got him a real pitching coach, who straightened that shit out for him right away, and told him not to throw sliders until his junior year. And now he has a trainer too. I force him to do the routines every day and so far, his arm/shoulder/scaps have stayed strong. Can't stress enough how important it is to have proper mechanics.

I've seen kids under 12 getting TJ surgery, the dads think their kid is going to have a "pro" career. Sort of pathetic.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:39 am 

One of my favorite movies growing up was Rookie of the Year with Thomas Ian Nicholas and Gary Busey. There's a hilarious part at the end when the Cubs are playing for the Pennant and John Candy goes on an excited tirade:

"This is it folks! This is for the whole kit and kaboodle, the whole magilla, the whole enchilada, the whole ball of wax, the whole shootin' match! This is for all the marbles!"

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:22 pm 

I remember that! Hilarious.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:42 am