Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Beat The Boots
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:52 pm 

How essential do you guys feel it is to have the box for Volume 1?. I have found Volume 1, all the CDs without the box. I have found Volume 2 with the box and beret. I realize it is a matter of how completest I want to be, but what are your individual opinions?

I don't want to fuck up, and be a so-called fan. :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Beat The Boots
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:30 pm 

I bought the first volume on cassette. A short time later I got tired of trying to find places to store the box so I made dubs of all the cassettes and sold it.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:36 pm 

I will be storing them on my Zappa shelf instead of the box anyway. So unless there was some special reason to have that box, I'm thinking about just buying the CDs.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:01 pm 

Philostopher wrote:
I will be storing them on my Zappa shelf instead of the box anyway. So unless there was some special reason to have that box, I'm thinking about just buying the CDs.

The inside of the box has a pop-up audience. You can have hours of fun opening and closing the box, watchimg the illegal taper jump up and down.... up and down.... up and down.... up and down.... up and down.... up and down.... up and down....

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:10 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
Philostopher wrote:

The inside of the box has a pop-up audience. You can have hours of fun opening and closing the box, watchimg the illegal taper jump up and down.... up and down.... up and down.... up and down.... up and down.... up and down.... up and down....

Thanks! I've been having more fun lately watching coevad's new avatar. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:23 pm 

Some of them sound like complete shit. You're basically buying the cd's for the packaging not the music, I guess. I don't mind lofi boots but BTB 1 (Unmitigated Audacity), for example, should be a free download if anything.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:36 am 

Thanks downer. I don't mind lo-fi boots either, and heard that Unmitigated Audacity was as horrible as you describe. By taking these out of print though, they have created the same market they were aimed at thwarting. I can buy BTB 1 for $299.99 + $3.65 shipping with no box. BTB 2 is $499.99 + $3.65 shipping with box and beret. Way to kill the bootleg market. :roll:

I've got all these posthumous releases I just basically purchased all at once to familiarize myself with for now. I'm going to hold off a few months, see what becomes available while saving a little money, and I'm going to get some more gear for my son's guitar setup.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:02 am 

Philostopher wrote:
I don't want to fuck up, and be a so-called fan. :mrgreen:

As long as you listen to and enjoy the music you can never be known as a so-called fan.

Just don't fuck up and lose the box and beret like I did. :cry:

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:05 am 

You can find most of that music from (sometimes) complete shows in much better quality at Zappateers.

Post subject: re: beat the boots
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:56 pm 

philostopher wrote:
... I can buy BTB 1 for $299.99 + $3.65 shipping with no box. BTB 2 is $499.99 + $3.65 shipping with box and beret...
way overpriced

btb1 cds never had a box, the only btb1 box with the popup were tapes & lp's

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:34 pm 

I bought both boxes when they came out. Vol. 1 vinyl and Vol. 2 cds. It looks good in my collection 8)

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:32 pm 

My avatar on another forum...

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:53 pm 

Cool ... !!!

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:20 pm 

Box 1 on Vinyl it's though i bought after all these years a elephant though it even good too look at flat box :? i tried looking after it but when a man has to go too work and a Bitch as kids too blame things go wrong :cry: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:07 pm 

Location: Centerville - a real nice place to raise your kids up
NP

Seminally robust

Yes, robustly seminal

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:29 pm 

Florentine Pogen wrote:
NP

Seminally robust

Yes, robustly seminal

Get it off Zappateers 10 times better quality.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:10 pm 

$34.55

tapes w/popup box

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:13 am 

Since the Beat the Boots boxes are official FZ releases I think they are essential for a proper collection. Especially because of the idea to Beat the Bootleggers.

Post subject: Re: re: beat the boots
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:05 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
philostopher wrote:
... I can buy BTB 1 for $299.99 + $3.65 shipping with no box. BTB 2 is $499.99 + $3.65 shipping with box and beret...
way overpriced

btb1 cds never had a box, the only btb1 box with the popup were tapes & lp's

Thanks for the info! I thought they were overpriced as well. I will hold out for better deals. Thanks for editing your original post as well. You know damn good and well I haven't been snoozing, as many Zappa releases that I've bought lately. It's more like I'm just getting around to them. :wink: :mrgreen:

just plain doug wrote:
My avatar on another forum...

Nice 8)

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
$34.55

tapes w/popup box

Thanks slime! But, I'm just interested in the CDs. I'm hoping to replace the blank jewel cases on the bottom shelf with Beat The Boots, and whatever the ZFT has planned for us this year. Fingers crossed for an Uncle Meat P/O.

My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:
Since the Beat the Boots boxes are official FZ releases I think they are essential for a proper collection. Especially because of the idea to Beat the Bootleggers.

They are essential for what I'm wanting to accomplish, but I don't think they are essential for everyone's collection. I'm sure downer might agree with me on that, but I might be wrong. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:36 pm 

Location: Centerville - a real nice place to raise your kids up
cleon wrote:
Florentine Pogen wrote:
NP

Seminally robust

Yes, robustly seminal

Get it off Zappateers 10 times better quality.

Thanks lad - but as a Luddite, I am not sure I can get my head around what this is...

What I need is a 'Japanese' remaster job

Yes, what I need is a 'Japanese' remaster job

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:23 pm 

BTB 1 on CD has been reduced to $239 for a couple of days. What do you think Slime? Based on the ones you posted earlier, this is still overpriced. I'm thinking no more than $150 for BTB 1?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:34 am 

I collected most of the BTB1 CDs individually around the time of the Ryko reissues. Got BTB1 complete box on vinyl at the HOG in Rochester NY around that time too. I thought the vinyl pressings were cheap, CDs sounded way better, so I eventually got the few CDs I was missing & ebayed the vinyl set. Think I got a little more than I paid for it, $120.. Didn't keep the shirt cuz it was a tight fitting L.

BTB2 I got new on cassette at Borders.com back in the day for like $60. Held onto that until I stumbled across the complete CD set at a flea market vendor, think I paid around $100, yes it was a steal. :mrgreen: Of course then sold the tape set, made a few bucks on that.

Never bothered with BTB3, cuz I don't care for downloads, and am certainly not paying for any.

Swiss Cheese/Fire is the best from Set 2
Saarbrucken '78 is my fave from Set 1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:12 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
I don't care for downloads, and am certainly not paying for any.

Does a cheap cd case, a flimsy compact disc and some lame booklet really make that much of a difference?

Philostopher wrote:
BTB 1 on CD has been reduced to $239 for a couple of days. What do you think Slime? Based on the ones you posted earlier, this is still overpriced. I'm thinking no more than $150 for BTB 1?

I don't know what Slime thinks but $239 is a complete and utter rip off. Beat the boots? How about join the boots?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:07 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Philostopher wrote:

I don't know what Slime thinks but $239 is a complete and utter rip off. Beat the boots? How about join the boots?

That's exactly how I feel downer. Thanks for your input. I have 95 releases, and do not intend to overpay for inferior recordings, just because they are out of print. I could justify paying more for the 3 out of print releases I ponied up $40 apiece for. But, I can't justify overpaying for these.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:27 pm 

dear mr philostopher:

i am dr. quentin r. denameland, executive manager, bills & exchange at the foreign remittances, department 419 of the wells fargo bank international llc of the united states of america, one of the largest international banks in the world, and writing this letter to ask for your support and cooperation to carry out a unique and time-sensitive business opportunity in my department

we discovered an abandoned sum of €15,002,120.00 [fifteen million two thousand one hundred and twenty euros] in an account that belongs to one of our nigerian customers who died along with his entire family of a wife and two children in september 2013 in a plane crash trying to fly over the mountains of montana

unfortunately, neither family member nor distant relative has ever appeared to claim the said funds; upon this discovery, myself and other senior wells fargo bank executive kind of guys in my department also discovered the deceased estate included one [1] frank zappa
beat the boots1 lp box set [mint] and one [1] frank zappa beat the boots2 cd box set [near mint], have agreed to make business with you and not only release the total amount into your accounts, since no one came for it or discovered said maintained account with our bank, but also transfer full authorization of ownership of the frank zappa beat the boots box sets, otherwise all will regrettably be returned to the banks' treasury as unclaimed estate

we have agreed that our ratio of fund allocation will be as stated thus; 49% for you as foreign partners, 44.5% for us the senior executive types in my department and 6.5% for the settlement of all local and foreign expenses incurred by us and you during the course of this business

to commence this transaction, under u.s. law, we require you to immediately send me the nominal sum €72,822.00 [seventy two thousand eight hundred and twenty two euros] plus $7.00 [seven united states dollars] shipping & handling, to enable us to file a letter of claim to the appropriate departments for necessary approvals before the transfer of funds and both
beat the boots box sets can be made

note also, this transaction must be kept strictly confidential because of its nature

looking forward to receiving your prompt collective response

dr. quentin r. denameland
wells fargo bank international llc
west continental regional office [wcro]
82-419 lake chad crescent
maabuja, nigeria
telex: [0419] 100419011 0914z n¥×$ttlžžx ×c
tel: +234 : 70 40 419 419; 70 40 419 914 ext 419