Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:01 am 

I like reggae - vinnies reggae drum sound is very authentic.
I like a lot of FZs reggae tunes, but it wore thin ultimately IMO.
Plenty during vinnies stint, but I don't hear as much when chad picked up the sticks - a bit on SATLTSADW maybe.
Did vinnie call the reggae shots at all?
TT

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:44 am 

Chad's stuff is full of frank's "reggae". It's through an interview with him I learned that pretend twirling one dread meant frank wanted reggae, twirling both dreads meant he wanted double-time (ska-ish). Don't think Vinnie had any say in that sort of thing but if he chose to go reggae heavy under one of Frank solos then yeah he might have nudged the feel on way or another.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:15 pm 

It was before the first tour with Vinnie that FZ threatened to have the band play the entire show reggae. Lots of reggae with Chad too of course. Don't think either of them got to decide what feel to use on the songs, although they would have been able to apply their own styles to it.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:27 pm 

Thanks - most interesting. With Chad I was thinking the studio stuff, but I do have some bigs gaps in my catalogue.
I've done reggae in bands and almost without fail the drummers had no idea how to sync the rimshot / kick on third beat. I would have hated every second of the FZ reggae stuff if they had done it 'cod' (e.g kick on 1st beat). But its good - usually.
TT

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:02 pm 

I am not very interested in reggea and don't know much about it, but i doubt that Zappas reggea versions ever were interesting for people like him:
Image :wink:

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:00 pm 

ursinator wrote:
I am not very interested in reggea and don't know much about it, but i doubt that Zappas reggea versions ever were interesting for people like him:
Image :wink:

Maybe not interesting, but if vinnie / chad had have played for marley they would have sounded great. Many "bona fide" reggae "artistes" have been absolutely shite - aswad / ub40 - huge shame on them - fz kicked their fucking dumb cod arses all the way to jah.
TT
:)

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:15 pm 

What i try to say is, that for a real rastafarian reggea means much more than just a musical style. Don't think that any of these people ever would accept Zappas reggea versions as authentic in any way. But maybe i am simply a little bit out of the world in my consideration or "real" rastafarians. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:54 pm 

ursinator wrote:
What i try to say is, that for a real rastafarian reggea means much more than just a musical style. Don't think that any of these people ever would accept Zappas reggea versions as authentic in any way. But maybe i am simply a little bit out of the world in my consideration or "real" rastafarians. :wink:
No Joke the Rastafarian Movement is a joke like other Religions this is the Zappa site :? The Movement they made plain and simple give it that,Smoke Dope AND Don't wash hair too not get thrown on ships,there can't be a true Rasta out of Jamaica unless they where forced too have a hair cut.
FZ got in too upstroke beats around when it was mainstream after about a thousand UK bands after Punk i remember the older kids as Punks within a year Ska which is a older form of Reggae.
There is only one Raster in my Village and he loves Zappa Music.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:08 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmz5x-plQAA
Reggaejunkiejew!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:51 am 

It was definitely FZ's call, he had a short reggae section in San Berdino en in 1975 he rehearsed a reggae version of Take Your Clothes When You Dance (as can be heard on Joe's Camouflage).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:18 am 

unclemeat69 wrote:
It was definitely FZ's call, he had a short reggae section in San Berdino en in 1975 he rehearsed a reggae version of Take Your Clothes When You Dance (as can be heard on Joe's Camouflage).
Nice though rehearsing a song is't the same as pursuing it like he did later years.
Cool though Bi Phase being Used by FZ before i can find it used on Bob Marley Albums.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:23 am 

The reggae Take Your Clothes Off was not only rehearsed, but played live fall 75/winter 76. The only appearance of reggae in Zappa's music before 1978 as far as I know. I don't hear reggae in San Berdino although I'm curious if unclemeat69 can cite where it is.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:51 am 

pbuzby wrote:
I don't hear reggae in San Berdino although I'm curious if unclemeat69 can cite where it is.

I know what unclemeat69 is getting at - in the outro, the guitar / open hi hat punctuates the 2nd & 4th beat, as reggae might, but calling it reggae is pushing it.
TT

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:56 pm 

With a Bi-phase you get different punctuates with the Nature of the Machine :wink: unlike Murtron III where different punctuates like no effect are done with more or less movement(altered angles)
Reggae on San Berdino :arrow:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:47 pm 

mg: what about reggae?

fz: I don't have a collection of reggae music. I like to play it more than I like to listen to it. reggae is a ventilated rhythm. if you're going to play a solo with a lot of notes in it and your rhythm accompaniment has a lot of notes in it, then it neutralizes it. I find it more intriguing to play to a reggae background with jagged pulses and big holes in it - there's blank space, whereas the least comfortable thing for me to play to would be something like a fast james brown band. I wouldn't know what the fuck to do with that.

mg=matt groening

:arrow: the mother of all interviews (1992 part 2)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:01 pm 

deuce wrote:
pbuzby wrote:
I don't hear reggae in San Berdino although I'm curious if unclemeat69 can cite where it is.

I know what unclemeat69 is getting at - in the outro, the guitar / open hi hat punctuates the 2nd & 4th beat, as reggae might, but calling it reggae is pushing it.
TT

During this bit:
Quote:
he's in love with a boy
From the rodeo

in the first verse and the same bit (with different lyrics of course) in the second verse the guitar is playing (an attempt to) reggae.