Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Zappa on Hendrix
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:45 pm 

ursinator wrote:
Jimis first song with wah-wah was then voodoo chile slight return on electric ladyland.

Really? there's wah wah on stars that play with lauging sams dice. 1967.
AND from wiki...
"The track features a largely unidentified group of people referred to as "The Milky Way Express" providing backing vocals, whistles and other sounds, which is said to include musician Frank Zappa. The song was also the first recording released by Hendrix to feature his subsequently characteristic wah-wah sound."
As Gail would say, now you know...
TT

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:20 pm 

ursinator wrote:
cleon wrote:
Most full of shit thing i've heard is FZ told JH about Wah-Wah pedals mmmm where is the proof,I read FZ say he used Wah-Wah on other instruments,which is why Wah-Wah came out and Del Casher come up with the idea according too him possibly true since he is first too use it on guitar,when did FZ first use it for a start because JH used it before WOIFTM where FZ said he used it before JH.

The more recent releases of electric ladyland (without the naked woman cover) have an extensive booklet. There the story is told, that Jimi attended a MOI Garrick theatre show. After the show FZ explained the mothers equipment to Jimi, including the wah-wah pedal. Jimis first song with wah-wah was then voodoo chile slight return on electric ladyland. I don't have the booklet near my hand, but i guess they provided the exactly date of the Garrick concert, must have been in 67.
The money album was released with pretty delay due to legal reasons.
For me it is proof enough that the Hendrix relatives themselves telling this story instead of claiming Jimi having been the first one playing the wah-wah pedal :wink:
I for myself also prefer the experience to the band of gypsies. But there is also great stuff done by the later bands.
When Hendrix Played with the Mothers he left his guitar stuck squealing in the Ceiling As told my FZ,seems you made bullshit up again.JH first song with Wah Wah is Burning of The Midnight Lamp released on same single as The Stars That Play with Laughing Sam's Dice though i have heard JH use it in studio for Burning of The Midnight Lamp in MAY 1967 months before The single Release and before he played the Garrick and too months after Del Casher Recorded it first.

Ps you say FZ used it on WOIFTM after i said it and Quoted me,Oh yeah when did FZ use it on Guitar :smoke: After JH that's for Sure Like i said It was used on Other Instruments which FZ said he used it on WOIFTM.

Back too the drawing board 8)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:53 pm 

deuce wrote:
ursinator wrote:
Jimis first song with wah-wah was then voodoo chile slight return on electric ladyland.

Really? ...
TT

I just tried to report my memories from reading the booklet of electric ladyland. It is some years ago that i have read it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:31 am 

This has nothing to do with Zappa, but I wanted to share this...

Jimi Hendrix - The Last 24 Hours

A cheaply made cash-in unauthorized Jimi Hendrix exploitation documentary that is more hysterical then historical. It has DRUGS, it has SEX it has CONSPIRACIES. As one of the comments for this film said...

"ha ha ha...you mean that's not actual footage of Jimi being kidnapped?! Jimi is so rock n' roll he wears his hippie head band in bed....this really is cheesey greatnes"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:03 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
Cleon is a knob

That's got to be one of the funniest things I've seen in ages, lol!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:23 pm 

DC Boogie wrote:
I can see why people prefer the more distinct tunes of early Hendrix, but Machine Gun is neither thin nor rambling - a rock solid classic in my book. Another piece that makes me wonder wtf Zappa was talking about.

I think he was talking about Hendrix's attempts at avant-guard, like the aforementioned "A merman I should turn to be". There is indeed nothing thin or rambling about Machine Gun, or a lot of the longer guitar improvisations in his various live recordings. That's where the genius of Hendrix really came to the fore for me. Indeed, it was his version of Red House in the Last Experience album that really drew me to his music.