Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:41 am 

The turf colonies were what Australia was to the English. He had been arrested for the third time for vagrancy so they wanted to get him out of the way. He did die in the Hague (family grounds on my paternal grandfather's side) so he did return at one point. The Hague has always been notorious for rioters (it's where the government is located), so he was probably being angry over his poverty.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:49 pm 

Caputh wrote:
BBP wrote:

There are a few books which mention my family members: the most notable instance was Franciscus Lodewijk Ploeg, whose rioting was mentioned in a book about the neighborhood he lived in. He was sent to the turf colonies in the north-east of The Netherlands as punishment. We know a lot about him, such as the length of his ears.

a) What was he rioting about?
b) Was he rioting solo?
c) What are the turf colonies?
d) How big were his ears, then?

Wrong questions Caputh...

1) Do you have pictures of your Cousins?
2) Who was doing what with who?
3) Do you have any pictures (it is BB)
4) In the US they all get paid a weekly rate and if you win or come second that is added on, no money on Dutch Big Brother 5?

:smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:26 am 

Ah, you have a way with women, Plook! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:47 am 

YouTube for Big Brother 5 Nederland and you'll get all the footage you'd ever want to see. Including Monique puking in the bathroom.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:09 am 

BBP wrote:
YouTube for Big Brother 5 Nederland and you'll get all the footage you'd ever want to see. Including Monique puking in the bathroom.

You should go on the show Bonny, you may be able to sneak under the radar and win!... :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:11 am 

That was BB5, there never came a BB6.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:19 am 

Guess what? I've uploaded The Middle-Aged Twos!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:36 am 

That was just plain excellent Bonny!

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:12 pm 

For the BB-fans: TM2's Nigel makes a cameo appearance in this comic I made in my final school year!
The character name lists were based off the 90210 show I never watched anyway. One of the characters is Dr John Martin: I decided to change his first name into that of another "icon" of the day.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:56 pm 

I've just come up for air from five months of intense study. A lot of water under the bridge. I'm saddened to hear about Plook's loss and don't know what to say - hang in there mate. I've just checked out the Philostopher's thread as well - good on you mate. I thought about writing a post there or starting my own thread instead but then I remembered this one. I think this turned out to be a good thread and I'm not sure why it fizzled back in October 2012.

There were a couple of awkward sections earlier on. One with Rope, but I think he just misunderstood my intentions and he does intentionally make it hard to get on with him. The other was with Rahdley. I don't really have a problem with you mate I just found your involvement cryptic and couldn't understand why you wouldn't spell out where you were coming from. I made some assertions that were most probably wrong out of frustration.

There have been mostly interesting contributions and we should keep it going. My life certainly hasn't been all beer and skittles - far from it. I disappeared from this thread and left a few questions from others unanswered because I was going through a particularly difficult period. I was having a pretty tough time of it from about mid 2012 until the end of 2013. I know that probably seemed absent from my posts back in September 2012, but I was putting a brave face on things which were going to get much worse before they got better.

This is just a reconnect and I intend to come back and write more. Plook wrote something about time going by quicker when you're older. I've been thinking that for a long time, but then it occurred to me that it doesn't really go any quicker in any absolute sense it's just that the older you get, the longer you've been alive and the more you have to look back on and it just seems quicker relatively. When you're two, a year is half your life. When you're ten, a year is ten percent of your life. When you're fifty, a year is only two percent. I think another factor is that on average, older people tend to do less with their time and I'm not going to let that happen to me. It's a catch twenty two because when you're busy, time seems to go by quicker, but it's a preferable kind of quick because you grow as a person and have stuff to look back on. I still have to learn to pace myself better and take time to properly reflect periodically, which can help slow time down a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:24 pm 

polydigm wrote:
I've just come up for air from five months of intense study. A lot of water under the bridge. I'm saddened to hear about Plook's loss and don't know what to say - hang in there mate. I've just checked out the Philostopher's thread as well - good on you mate. I thought about writing a post there or starting my own thread instead but then I remembered this one. I think this turned out to be a good thread and I'm not sure why it fizzled back in October 2012.

There were a couple of awkward sections earlier on. One with Rope, but I think he just misunderstood my intentions and he does intentionally make it hard to get on with him. The other was with Rahdley. I don't really have a problem with you mate I just found your involvement cryptic and couldn't understand why you wouldn't spell out where you were coming from. I made some assertions that were most probably wrong out of frustration.

There have been mostly interesting contributions and we should keep it going. My life certainly hasn't been all beer and skittles - far from it. I disappeared from this thread and left a few questions from others unanswered because I was going through a particularly difficult period. I was having a pretty tough time of it from about mid 2012 until the end of 2013. I know that probably seemed absent from my posts back in September 2012, but I was putting a brave face on things which were going to get much worse before they got better.

This is just a reconnect and I intend to come back and write more. Plook wrote something about time going by quicker when you're older. I've been thinking that for a long time, but then it occurred to me that it doesn't really go any quicker in any absolute sense it's just that the older you get, the longer you've been alive and the more you have to look back on and it just seems quicker relatively. When you're two, a year is half your life. When you're ten, a year is ten percent of your life. When you're fifty, a year is only two percent. I think another factor is that on average, older people tend to do less with their time and I'm not going to let that happen to me. It's a catch twenty two because when you're busy, time seems to go by quicker, but it's a preferable kind of quick because you grow as a person and have stuff to look back on. I still have to learn to pace myself better and take time to properly reflect periodically, which can help slow time down a bit.

Great comeback post Poly, your observations on age and time are probably accurate. I hope things are getting better for you, the fact that you are here says to me yes, I hope my presumption is true.

I like Rope a lot but he seems to make it impossible to agree on anything, he reminds me of myself and maybe I would also have been that cynical if I hadn’t had my wonderful wife.

I am not sure what you base your observations of Rahdley on (I am in no way judging), but he was so truly thoughtful and sent nice things for Terri in her final days and after her passing.

In fact everyone (and you all can take credit for it) here sent so many wonderful cards and gifts, She told me that she knew you were all a good lot when she found this website for me in 2002 (I’m fitting back tears here).

Rahdley asked me not to acknowledge his generosity (like he swore me to secrecy) but his kindness was awesome (as was all the site members), he may have felt his gifts were not much, but they were and his timing was impeccable.

We communicated through PM’s most of that time, I know I may be breaking my trust here, but even though he is a successful man in a business that does not seem to allow much kindness, he showed great kindness to Terri. She was aware of it and found promise in knowing there was good in the world.

Like a true hero he was there and gone and I still feel warmed by his kindness, during times like those simple things have great meaning. I only hope that outing him does not upset him, because I am trying to honor him.

Poly welcome back mate!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:21 pm 

Plook wrote:
I like Rope a lot but he seems to make it impossible to agree on anything, he reminds me of myself and maybe I would also have been that cynical if I hadn’t had my wonderful wife.
My position is similar to yours.

Plook wrote:
I am not sure what you base your observations of Rahdley on
polydigm wrote:
...Rahdley. I don't really have a problem with you mate I just found your involvement cryptic and couldn't understand why you wouldn't spell out where you were coming from. I made some assertions that were most probably wrong out of frustration.
That's not saying much. First he said the thread reminded him of a pompous piss take by Austin Powers of a speech by a psycho megalomaniac. Hmm? Then he posted a cartoon of a couple of hillbillies with nothing better to do. Was that biographical? I didn't jump to any conclusions and asked what he meant and he didn't want to divulge. Then I got pissed off and overreacted. He still wouldn't divulge. That's it. Not that big a deal, I guess.
Plook wrote:
Poly welcome back mate!
I wish it was to better news. All the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:37 pm 

Good to see you back Poly! Thanks for checking out my thread. I guess the main reason I reveal so much on the forum is because I truly have no friends here where I live. I'm smack in the middle of the jeezo freak world Zappa sang about all the time. I watch people in this town stab each other in the back every day, and they think it's ok because they sit in that pew every Sunday. I know there are people on here who don't give a fuck about what's happening in my life, but they don't have to click on it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:53 am 

Come off it Poly, you were in jail for throwing koala manure at Tony Abbott weren't you? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:12 am 

Great to see you back, Poly!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:02 pm 

Just when you thought it was safe to step inside the FZ Forum.....look what happens!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:27 pm 

You redecorated your house? :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:55 pm 

Batty! Great to see you again!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:55 pm 

Philostopher wrote:
Good to see you back Poly! Thanks for checking out my thread. I guess the main reason I reveal so much on the forum is because I truly have no friends here where I live. I'm smack in the middle of the jeezo freak world Zappa sang about all the time. I watch people in this town stab each other in the back every day, and they think it's ok because they sit in that pew every Sunday. I know there are people on here who don't give a fuck about what's happening in my life, but they don't have to click on it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:03 pm 

Caputh wrote:
You redecorated your house? :wink:
No, sorry. Isn't my house. I wish I could make this place look like that! It's my niece's last Easter. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:13 pm 

BBP wrote:
Bonny! It's been so long I can't remember! Missed you bad! :cry: But I'm right here! :D Yes, "things" did get all crazy and miserable and they still are but I'm rolling with the punches... :wink:

--Batty :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:31 pm 

BBP wrote:
Damn it! I can't send you a PM and I don't know why! :evil: I really
want to send you one and include a few things not for general audiences. :wink:

--Bat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:21 pm 

Batchainmovie wrote:
BBP wrote:
Damn it! I can't send you a PM and I don't know why! :evil: I really
want to send you one and include a few things not for general audiences. :wink:

--Bat

Howdy Bat good to have you back, we are letting it all hang out these days, the troops are solid and supportive like nowhere else on the interwebs and on the line... 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:34 pm 

Batty's back?!
I knew Downer M's posting of that poopy-pic would cause something like this to happen!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:01 pm 

Short bio:

I was born somewhere in Argentina. My parents divorced when I was 1 or 2 so i don't remember anything (sometimes i see my father, he lives near my house). Anyway, my mum married a guy from the USA, so i speak some english besides what we learn in school, and we understand us perfectly. We are like friends. One day, i think it was september last year, he showed me Zappa for my first time. He has only 4 albums (a double edition of Apostrophe/Overnite from RYKO, One Size Fits All and Zoot Allures. I loved it! So, since then i have been researching on frank's music and until now i have heard a good part of his carrer (still have to hear 200 Motels, only heard Strictly Genteel, and also didn't hear Tinseltown Rebellion, Man From Utopia, Guitar, Does Humour Belong In Music, LSO, and every single posthumous release). I first knew about this forum like 3 months ago, and i use it as a way to practise my english, but most importantly, because i love to see what people thinks about Frank and music in general. Even i haven't finished frank yet, i have already started with bartok, stravinsky and varese. I have been playing the guitar for 3 years, and hardest things i can play are Echidna's outro (Roxy speed) and The Uncle Meat Variations. Besides thecnic aspects, i'm also studying music theory, and i love it. My favourite instrument is marimbas, i love food, tennis and mostly music. But besides all of this rare things i like, i'm only a common 14 year old person, and at this moment i'm hoping Roy Estrada hasn't got an account in Zappa's forum so i'd better go hide! :wink:

Last edited by wakawazooinregalia' on Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next