Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:29 am 

I think Eddie brought much more to Van Halen than his tappy wanky leads. The riffs that make up a lot of their songs are good to great.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:32 am 

pbuzby wrote:
I've read comments from FZ that Dweezil was a big fan of Randy Rhoads and Eddie Van Halen so this may have made FZ more inclined to make positive comments about that wave of guitarists.

Yes, that and that EVH was round their house a lot it seems - guitar lessons for DZ etc.
"whats the point" - father / son bonding maybe?
TT

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:24 am 

pbuzby wrote:
I've read comments from FZ that Dweezil was a big fan of Randy Rhoads and Eddie Van Halen so this may have made FZ more inclined to make positive comments about that wave of guitarists.

Possibly. I never saw Zappa as a fan of virtuosity for its own sake. All of his virtuoso musicians were usually employed in a creative way in his compositions, but many of them were also just as good as Zappa at soloing, and that is why he had no trouble with letting them lose on stage. By comparison, how often did Steve Vai got a chance to do that? It doesn't seem to me Zappa trusted him as much as he trusted a Don Harris, or a George Duke, who were excellent and creative improvisers.

I'm also thinking that Zappa might have been able to play some of that stuff himself, but didn't want to bother training himself for it. Some of his guitar players were actually less skilled than he was, but i guess they brought a certain sound or style with them which Zappa needed but didn't want to bother learning.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:53 am 

Vai had the "Stevie's Spanking" feature in almost every show in 81 and 82. I don't think he got as much solo time as George Duke, who was a great improviser and who was in Zappa's band in the fusion era when long solos were more in fashion than they were in the 80's.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:03 am 

Well, Steve's Spanking was written for Vai in the first place, and i guess it was meant to suite him stylistically as well. Still, Vai just doesn't cut it for me, not even live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJxoV5O8HUU

The rhythm doesn't swing, and his tonal language is pedestrian. You can argue that he was still pretty young but i think he actually got worse in his solo albums. Not technically of course, in that respect he has improved a great deal, but at least here he tried to make it sound rhythmically interesting, probably under pressure from Zappa i'm guessing. His soloing in his later albums is so sterile, despite the fact he uses every trick in the book to make it sound exiting.

BTW, dat outfit. :o

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:05 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPc0uLG2y5g
Steve Vai - (1991) For the Love of God [from "ExpoSevilla 1992"]

forgot MORE THE AVERAGE SREdDER :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:18 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
I think Eddie brought much more to Van Halen than his tappy wanky leads. The riffs that make up a lot of their songs are good to great.

I agree!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:23 pm 

Vai has never been a good improviser as far as I can tell and I don't think he's done much of it. However, he is a very good composer with incredible guitar technique and as such I find his music (of which composed guitar solos are an integral part) to be often fantastic!