Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Fractal Fun
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:06 pm 

[center][font=Curlz MT]Fractalz and Chaos:[/font][/center]<br><br>[center]Image[/center]<br><br>Start with a complex function and seed it with a complex number. Grind the results through the function over and over again, and plot the resulting orbit on the Argand plane. When this process is applied to the function<br><br><br>[img]<br><br>http://www.maths.otago.ac.nz/home/schools/why_maths/applied_at_otago/images/complexfunction.gif[/img] [sub]        <<Note: FZ is in th equation[/sub]<br><br>a "strange attractor" emerges -- the Ikeda attractor. With a suitable choice of the parameters a, b, k and p, all sorts of different swirled and folded patterns can be made. The Ikeda attractor shows a fine structure that just never quits, which is why its called strange. Objects such as this are central to the modern theory of chaos. And then there’s the Mandelbrot set (below), pretty amazing eh? No matter how many times you zoom in you still see the same level of detail.<br><br>[center]Image[/center]<br><br><br>[center]  :o ::) :o[/center]<br>

Post subject: Re: Fractal Fun
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:23 pm 

[center][font=papyrus]Fractal of the Day<br>[/font][/center]<br><br>[center]Image[/center]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:55 am 

[quote author=stride link=board=general;num=1077854799;start=0#0 date=02/26/04 at 20:06:39][center][font=Curlz MT]Fractalz and Chaos:[/font][/center]<br><br>[center]Image[/center]<br><br>Start with a complex function and seed it with a complex number. Grind the results through the function over and over again, and plot the resulting orbit on the Argand plane. When this process is applied to the function<br><br><br>[img]<br><br>http://www.maths.otago.ac.nz/home/schools/why_maths/applied_at_otago/images/complexfunction.gif[/img] [sub]        <<Note: FZ is in th equation[/sub]<br><br>a "strange attractor" emerges -- the Ikeda attractor. With a suitable choice of the parameters a, b, k and p, all sorts of different swirled and folded patterns can be made. The Ikeda attractor shows a fine structure that just never quits, which is why its called strange. Objects such as this are central to the modern theory of chaos. And then there’s the Mandelbrot set (below), pretty amazing eh? No matter how many times you zoom in you still see the same level of detail.<br><br>[center]Image[/center]<br><br><br>[center]  :o ::) :o[/center]<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>Stride this looks totally cool to be sure, but I wish I had the slightest freaking clue as to what in the hell you're talking about...

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:39 am 

yes - i read that book too though i couldnt tell anyone much about what it had to say. a friend of mine named his band after a fractal thing - was called " the mandlebrot set " - kinda cheesy name in retrospect.<br>oh and thanks for that fractal making link MTF - i had always wanted a fractal making equation and now i have one.<br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:20 pm 

[quote author=sleeping_in_a_jar link=board=general;num=1077854799;start=0#3 date=03/13/04 at 06:55:31]<br><br><br>Stride this looks totally cool to be sure, but I wish I had the slightest freaking clue as to what in the hell you're talking about...[/quote]<br><br>ok,.Sleeps,Click this link to th Julia Sets , and make yer own ,all you need to do is point yer mouse to th set on th ...arrghhhh,..see for y'self     ::) ;) ::)<br><br><br>[sub]Yt,..all is well ;)[/sub]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:19 pm 

[quote author=white person link=board=general;num=1077854799;start=0#4 date=03/13/04 at 08:40:14]<br><br>I reckon recreational time is tough for you to come by, what with a li'l one to tend to, but, should you find the time, check out this here book -<br><br>[center]Image[/center]<br><br>...even I could understand (most) of the fascinating concepts and discoveries presented within, and I'm a slobbering numbskull.<br><br>Hope all's well with the baby, the brood, and the missuz!<br>[/quote]<br><br>Thanks so much for your kind words whitey! And as for the book you recommended...well I went right out today and picked up a copy! Yeah. Its excellent! I went to this little bookstore on the other side of town that sells all kindsa interesting books and magazines...I went right over to the, uh...the "fractal" section, and picked it right up.  <br><br>Well I really needed privacy to properly "read" it, what with all the brood running around my house and all, so as soon as I got home I ran straight upstairs and into the bathroom with it, and locked the door for extra privacy. You know, to better concentrate on the reading material.  <br><br>Then, just to be a little more comfortable, I undid my belt buckle and opened my pants...you know, to relax... <br><br>So anyway, it was thoroughly enjoyable. Real mind-blowing stuff! Unbelieveable! Thanks again! ;D 8)<br><br><br><br><br><br>Okay, forget it. I didnt get the fractal book. I got this instead: <br><br>Image<br><br>SO SUE ME!  >:(  

>You don't.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:02 pm 

That book changed my life.  It truly opened up my understanding of the universe to the possibilities of infinity.    And you feel bitchen clever whenever you see a fern and can put it in it's mathematical place!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:08 pm 

I'm not offended at all!  I kind of like chaos as well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:10 pm 

The March spread on Miss Fern really blew my mind!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:51 pm 

Good god! the random spots of sperm are starting to, well, their forming this shape.... :P

Post subject: re: fractal poodle
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:59 pm