Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:42 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:43 am 

Last December, I drove to Dallas and rented a hotel room just so that I could see ZPZ, so when I found out that they would be playing here, that was a no-brainer.

The band was already amazing, but they have improved over the past year. Plus, they started ratcheting up their own personality and sense of humor during the show. Scheila dressed up as a very kitchy cocktail waitress named Trixie during "America Drinks and Goes Home" and Aaron decided that is was about time that a keyboard got smashed at a rock concert during "Dupree's Paradise". Everybody looks like their having lots a fun (with maybe the exception of Joe, but he looked like he was concentrating a lot).

Ray still has incredible pipes. Watching and listening to the man belt out "Doreen" and "The Illinois Enema Bandit" was just breathtaking.

Between last year's show in Dallas and this one in Austin, only "Pygmy Twylyte" was repeated, so I got to see a brand new show.

The way this band tackles pieces like "Dupree's Paradise", "Dog Meat", and "G-Spot Tornado" is just sick. You stand there in stunned disbelief.

"What's New In Baltimore" was a great surprise. FZ Meets the Mothers of Prevention is one of my favorite albums and that is my favorite song from it. They did a great job.

The Austin audience was much more animated than that of Dallas. We have some of the Finest Crazy Persons our damn selves. There was just a great vibe in the room.

If anyone in the band is reading this, please come back to Austin as often as possible. I will always find a way to attend.

Post subject: austin show
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:30 pm 

Thanks for playing Austin and such a long set. My friend and I brought our 17 year old sons. His only regret, since he's a drummer, is that he didn't get to see Terry Bozio, like last year in Houston. He has had Jimmy Carl Black as a dinner guest in his home, though he's too young to remember that.

He and my collegiate daughter love Regyptian Strut, but you'd need some brass for that; maybe next year. Anything off of Sleep Dirt would be appreciated.

We'll be looking for the DVD, hopefully in a few months.

Have you thought about suing Toyota for using Frank's moustache and imperial (soul patch to you clueless folk) in their truck ads? I crack up every time I see an ad for the Toyota FZ pickup.

We eagerly await your return to Austin, even if you don't do another 3+ hour show. Why not come twice next year?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:06 pm 

Hey there... does anyone have the full setlist from this amazing show on the Univ. of Texas campus? I almost stealth recorded the show until I heard they were doing a DVD for possible release. Great sound and lighting in the venue.

I need help with a couple tunes, but here's what I have for the setlist:

Cosmik Debris w/FZ video
City of Tiny Lites
Advance Romance
Lonely Little Girl>
My Guitar Wants to Kill Yo Mama
Doreen
Magic Fingers>
Carolina Hardcore Ectasy
Suzy Creemcheeze>
Brown Shoes>
America Drinks Up..(?)
Dumb All Over w/FZ
What's New in Baltimore
Pygmy Twylyte (quaalude thunder version)
Dupree's Paradise
with solos/Ray improv >
Dupree's reprise
Uncle Remus>
Willie the Pimp
Joe's Garage
Workin' in a Gas Station>
San Ber'dino
Zoot Allures
How Could I Be Such a Fool
I Ain't Got No Heart>
I'm Not Satisfied
Dog Meat
G-Spot Tornado
(Sheik Yerbouti tune or two?...help!...)

E:
Illinois Enema Bandit
Muffin Man w/FZ

"Thank you Austin, Texas...wherever you are!"

Post subject: Austin Setlist
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:22 pm 

Anyone have the setlist from the Austin show??? Please post it! Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:12 pm 

Cosmic Debris (FZ Video)
City of Tiny Lights
Advance Romance
Lonely Little Girl
My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama
Doreen
Magic Fingers
Carolina Hardcore Ecstasy
Son of Suzy Creamcheese
Brown Shoes Don't Make It
America Drinks and Goes Home
Dumb All Over (FZ Video)
What's New in Baltimore
Pygmy Twylite ('Quaalude Thunder' arrangement)
Dupree's Paradise (Phrases: Infected Biscuit, Throbbing Gristle, Put in Childs)
Uncle Remus
Willie the Pimp
Joe's Garage
Wind Up Workin' at a Gas Station
San Berdino
Zoot Allures
Ship Ahoy
(Freak Out Medley)
- How Could I Be Such a Fool?
- Ain't Got No Heart
- I'm Not Satisfied
Dog/Meat
G Spot Tornado
Wild Love
Yo Mama

Encore:

The Illinois Enema Bandit
Muffin Man (FZ Video)

Post subject: Austin Texas Nov 13th 8x10 photo of Frank at winterland
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:38 pm 

Dweezil -

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! So much for the amazing show in Austin. I can't believe that I finally had the chance to experience Zappa magic! It's been 2 days and I still get tears in my eyes thinking about it! I am the woman that brought the photo album for you to sign. I gave you one of the 8 x 10's of Frank. You were so busy with all your fans and I was so nervous being in the presence of a Zappa that I didn't get a chance to tell you that the photo's were taken at Winterland Arena in San Francisco, December 15th 1972. They were taken by a dear friend of mine that surprised me with the collection as the BEST Birthday present ever. I wanted to let you know that if you are interested, I would be more than happy to have the album copied and sent to you.

I grew up listening to Frank, my earliest childhood memories were of me sitting on the stairs leading up to the attic, my older brothers lived up there , listening to them playing "Overnight Sensation" over and over again. I thought that this music was the coolest thing ever. and it was sure a hell of a lot better than what all my little girl friends were listening to.. The Bay city rollers... Shawn cassidy...Michael Jackson and don't forget Barry Manilow!

In first grade I was sent home from Sacred Heart ( catholic ) School because I took my little cassette recorder ( remember the ones that looked like a shoe box) to school for show and tell and played a few of Franks master pieces for the class. Sister Andrene WAS NOT IMPRESSED and I found myself getting an ass kicking for stealing my brothers Zappa cassettes! Looking back, I don't know if being turned on to Frank was a curse or a blessing! Once you experience Frank, and one ( kind of/hopes to) understand were he is coming from, there is no turning back. YOU CAN NOT accept anything less. It's like having a veil lifted from your eyes and you see that most people are dumb all over :shock: ! Scary! It definitely sets you apart from your peers. It's actually painful to listen to anything else. And definitely hard to relate to most of the population.

When I learned that you were out performing Frank's creations and I would finally be able to experience Zappa ( I was too young back in the day, born in 69) I was so grateful for the opportunity. In July, my mom surprised me with tickets to the July show in Erie Pa. ( I was born there! ) And I drove all the way to Pa from Austin with ( my 4 kids under the age of 8, a smelly english bulldog named moxie, 2 cuban tree frogs named manny and sticky fingers, a box turtle named Mucho take it easy ( the kids WOULD NOT LEAVE WITH OUT THE PETS) and some kind of screaming bird that my daughter insisted on bringing!) It took 2 days of driving with our traveling zoo/daycare to find out that my mom didnt mention that the show was cancelled! Pretty slick way to see the grand kids! Anyway, I was devastated. No Zappa and a week in Hell (ask Joe Travers he's from Erie also!). I thought I would never get a chance to see the show. Thank God you came back to Austin! I will do all I can to see future shows and will make sure that my 4 little ones have the opportunity to experience Zappa as well. Thanks Again!

Kathleen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:32 am 

I was honored to attend the show at Hogg Auditorium in Austin. It was my second ZPZ show, having also seen the Dallas show last December. I couldn't be more pleased. I was amazed by the show in Dallas and blown away by the show in Austin. I also could not have asked for two more completely different shows.

What I saw in Dallas was an awesome recreation of vintage Frank hits performed by fantastic musicians. And they were helped by three of Frank's greatest musical "helpers," NMB, Vai and Bozzio. It allowed me to revisit something I thought had been taken away from me when Frank died. But I was wrong. It is alive and thriving. Thank you Dweezil.

In Austin, I didn't know what to expect. Some of the local media got it wrong by saying that Napolian, Terry and Steve would be in attendance. In knew better, having been surfing the ZPZ site for sometime. (I knew the stage wasn't big enough for Terry's kit!) I was thrilled to know that Ray was going to be there. And I also suspected that we were going to be transported back in time to a place in the Armadillo World Headquarters. At least musically transported. I was right about that.

My first Frank show was the night before Thanksgiving, 1974 at the St. Paul Civic Center. My life was changed that night. I had the privilege of seeing Frank a total of 5 times, the last being at the Majestic Theater in San Antonio. Each show contained a moment I will always remember. During the first, someone threw a hat on stage. It was an old fashioned driving cap. Inside of it was a dead rat. Frank pulled it out by the tail and tossed it off stage. He then put the hat on to the cheers of the crowd.

There were many other moments that are too numerous to mention here. But Dweezil gave me more moments to remember. First was his absofuckinglutely incredible guitar playing during "Pygmy Twylite." And the second was just hearing "Muffin Man" as the closer in Austin. When it kicked off, I screamed something that probably sounded like a 12 year old at a Hannah Montana concert. And Frank played the lead. I couldn't have been happier.

I have rambled on enough. Thank you Dweezil for bringing Franks music back to life for me. It was such a huge part of my life when he was alive. Thank you Ray White for enjoying yourself so much during "my" show. It was obvious that you enjoyed yourself. And thank you Frank.

From Austin, Texas : Goodnight Frank Zappa, where ever you are!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:02 am 

I was lucky enough to attend the show in Dallas last December and it blew my mind - never thinking I would ever get to see these compositions that I had listened to so many times that they are now part of my DNA. I was even more lucky to land front row center seats for this show in my adopted hometown of the last 10 years. To be so close to the band, so enveloped in the music, was like a blissful dream.

Seeing FZ join the band on the video screen on Cosmik Debris was a powerful opener. It was done with class and pulled off with seamless sound. Just seeing Dweezil beam when we exploded during his pa's solo made the whole night worth it. It's such a bittersweet dumpling of loss and celebration. A vibrant living wake for Frank that pushes forward while looking back. It certainly summoned up feelings for the people Ive lost, and just drove the point of the whole thing home. It also reminded you how freeeeking sick of a guitarist Frank was.

Soon after, we got some Austin love from Dweezil (who is becoming quite the frontman - DZ, if you are reading its great to see you really start to get in your mode as the face of the band) - the origin of the Guacamole Queen and a mention of Bongo Fury - an all-time favorite. We then got a soulful rendition of Advance Romance, one that showcased Ray White, and allowed us the joy of singing along with that all time great opening line "No more credit from the liquor store". This was not the last time Potato head Bobby would come up on this magical evening. I also loved singing along with "George Duke" line - who is my dream alumni to see with this band.

Bongo Fury soon popped up again through a scorching version of Carolina Hardcore Ecstasy, a song that saw Dweezil really open it up for the first time, so much so that I found myself bursting out of my seat at the end of the solo like I was at a revival.

There was some fun banter about how America's parents freaked the fuck out at the Absolutely Free combo.

For me, Pygmy Twylyte was the highlight of the night. hoooo weeee. Brain melting stuff here. I just cant wait for the DVD so I can relive it.

Dupree's Paradise was indescribable, and it was fun to see them baffled by the reference to UT football. Aaron went Townsend on his keyboard.

Uncle Remus is a close song to my heart, a great protest anthem, and to then follow it with Willie the Pimp, once again, that combo alone was worth the ticket price.

It seemed like the show should be winding up soon by the time we got to Joe's Garage, but they just kept going!

Zoot Allures was GORGEOUS. Just exquisite. so perfect. I love the compositions of Frank's that are just about sonic beauty.

After the ridiculously intricate and spot on G Spot Tornado, they could have conjured up Frank himself and it wouldnt have surprised me.

Yo Mama was a triumphant closer, now clocking in at 3 hours plus, how lucky were we?!? This song just soared!

Then Dweezil told us "Good night Austin Texas, whereever you are". I almost burst.

Illinois Enema Bandit, a friggin blast to hear, and then the nuclear Muffin Man closer with FZ, a la Bongo Fury yet again.

This was the kind of night that made you want to call your mom and say "Thanks for having me". Thank you Dweezil (who is more than holding his own filling his dad's shoes, there's no need to compare, both leave you shaking your head and fit in the music like they were born to play it -and they were-) and Ray (who has more soul in his pinkie than most of us have in our entire selves) and Schelia (who has endless boundless energy) and Aaron (who is truly is a mad scientist) and Pete (who is having as good a time as any of us) and Jamie and Billy and Joe... you give all of us something that we thought was lost forever, a way to commune with that wondeful FREE space Frank created in his music.

There was a lot of love in the room, and I am convinced that there was no better place to be on the face of the earth on the night of November 13 than Hogg Auditorium.

See you next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:43 am 

By the time I got to Austin I had driven 13 hours more less (10 hours from Monterrey, Mexico to Houston, TX... catched the show, slept a bit and then drove Houston to Austin for another 3 and a half hours)

This was my third ZPZ show (second in a row plus last year's houston's)

As I said in the Houston thread I got into Dweezil's music before Frank's. I never got to see a Frank Zappa show and until last december I hadn't seen Dweezil live (other than video)

I was in the first row, just in front of Pete. The band sounded tighter than the night before (even when they had to re-start one song in order to hit the right key, which I really didnt notice).

The setlist was almost the same (they didnt include my guitar wants to kill your mama the night before) and there were some other variations I think, I do apreciatte that they do things different for each venue and having the setlists renewed each year give us a very nice reason to come again.

This year I didnt know as many songs as the year before (for the first tour I new most of the songs, for this one maybe half of them were new for me).

I was watching the DVD that I bought in there.... some white text is showing up at the beginning of some songs, is anyone else having this problem too?

I was able to ask Dweezil if he was planning on playing songs of his own like "Obviously Influenced by the Devil" in shows like this, unfortunately his answer was no. Dweez: please don't stop making music, I really like Frank's but I'm always looking foward to listen to new compositions from you. from what I read you never stop, I bet you have hundreds of unreleased songs but it would be nice to have them released sometime.

Automatic was a little bit too short in my opinion. I found some Z songs on a website, they had different mixes and no vocals, as far as I checked they weren't available to purchase. Why don't you put them on Itunes or sell them online? The Bone-us CD is also great and I think it is not available in other form other than the Music For Pets box.

again, I apreciatte very much what you are doing with Frank's music but don't forget about yours.

All the musicians were great, as I said it's very nice to see them having fun on stage, I don't think I've seen a band that seems so happy when playing live. All solos from Houston and Austin were different. Pete didn't do any slapping on Houston and Austin was sweet slaps.

Aaron did a solo that reminded me to Mike Patton...

by the way, who chooses the music that is playing before the show begins? the funk section was very good, anyone knows who was singing? then they played secret chiefs 3...

Thanks again for the 2 evenings, can wait for the DVD

Post subject: ZDZ - AUSTIN
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:41 pm 

Hi Dweezil,
Hope you'll get a chance to personally read all your wonderful reviews from Austin!
Being that I wasn't a "fan" of Frank's (just been aware of a few songs), I can now say that you've succeeded in transforming me. I am hooked. My husband and I were blown away by the experience, and we hope you do not stop making music. My husband is an experienced guitar player, also, and he couldn't stop talking about how impressed he was with you playing Frank's complex compositions. We realize, it takes a lot of work, and we do appreciate it.
Anyhow, I do hope you return to Austin next year! Please continue doing what you're doing. Your father, I'm sure is looking down and is PROUD!

xoxoxo
Frances
P.S. The show was being recorded, as you mentioned. So, I hope there's a shot of me in your DVD!! I was in the 3rd row on your left! HA

Post subject: Re: 13 November 2007: Austin, TX
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:27 am 

I was the girl that danced all night...lol. ...it was my birthday and the ticket was a gift from Dweezil that he gave me the night before at the show in Houston. I have been trying so hard to find a recording of this. If there is any way anyone could help me out, I would REALLY appreciate it!I gave them the term "Infectious Biscuit" for the ad-lib song. Please let me know if you might have a copy of the song that it would be ok to share with me.

Thanks so much!!

Zappa plays Zappa 2007-11-13 Hogg Auditorium, Austin, TX