Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 17 May 2006: Copenhagen, Denmark
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:29 pm 
Site Admin

Did you see this show at the Falkoner in Copenhagen?

Post your impressions here.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend this show.

Thanks!

Zappa.com Admin
www.zappa.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:53 pm 

I hope it was as good for you as it was for us in Amsterdam!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:00 pm 

I'd like 2 know the play lsit, your impressions, the specials guests, thnx in advance

Post subject: The Copenhagen Concert
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:43 pm 

This was an amazing event!

As a relatively young Zappa-fan, I only discovered his music in 91, and hence never had a chance to see Frank live. Until tonight I had only seen the Yellow Shark Ensemble and a local cover-band perform Frank's music.

Seeing Napoleon, Bozzio and Vai live, performing the music I've heard them play time and time again on records and CDs was almost mind-boggling.

But the rest of the band was extremely tight and played exceptionally well. I managed to get some friends (who doesn't usually get into Frank's music) to the concert and they were amazed by the skills of the band.

And the duration of the show gave good value for money in itself. :-)

All in all - if I had the money, I'd be touring Europe with them - not missing a single show.

Post subject: Setlist and review
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:55 pm 

5/17/2006 Zappa plays Zappa, Falkocer Salen, Frederiksberg (Copenhagen), Denmark

Set list. Note: All songs with Napi, except where noted. Songs with Steve Vai are labelled SV, and songs with Terry Bozzio are labelled TB

Intro:
Footage from â€

Last edited by HJ on Wed May 17, 2006 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Thanks for planting some floss in Copenhagen
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:31 pm 

Thank you for a wonderful experience. I saw Frank in 88, at the same venue. It is one of my best memories, my best musical memory.
Ever since seeing Dweezil and Ahmet doing their Z thing here in Copenhagen a few years back, I have been looking for their names on the posters, but this event blew me away!
Tonight I was overwhelmed by the music and the feeling coming from the stage. A totally calm and relaxed band enjoyed playing very complex and difficult music leaving room for the spirit of Frank.
I had brought some friends who are not, and probably never will be, Zappa fans. And let me tell you, I was proud to have my musical interest presented so gracefully.
There were a few "hiccups" on stage, but "that’s live". It Might be a good idea though, to have the guys who handle the spotlights, trained in spotting who, on the stage, is playing a solo!

I will bee there next time to!

Last edited by janissen on Fri May 19, 2006 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Fantastic concert
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:16 pm 

Well, HJ almost said it all. I haven't really got much further to add.
However, I think in some cases the performances were even better than the original ones! E.g. Terry's drumming was amazing and the sound of his drumkit was setup really well, so an overwhelming experience..
It was a real pleasure to see Napoleon Murphy Brock giving a just as, if not more, energetic performance on stage as is seen on the "Dub room special" DVD. It's been 30+ years!!
Steve Vai threw in some great solo's in his own style when invited to, but mostly played the role of the "trusted foot soldier" staying true to the spirit of Franks music. What a professional guy!

And when it comes to the core band:
Dweezil; You have got to do more with this band!

:-) Ove

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:23 pm 

Anyone got pictures from this fantastic concerto?

Post subject: This band is silly
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:24 pm 

:roll:

Seriously, this is a very silly band. If there are any tickets left, you should buy them, or you might miss out on real music = Actual people playing strings, vocal and drums, sax and keyboards in a way that brings sweat to their brows and ecstasy to your ears. There´s an energy that transmits from these songs, which I´m am sure has a healing effect.

I´m not saying this because I saw Frank 3 times live here in Copenhagen. Don´t read any more of these reviews, just order the tickets I´m done with you now :D

Post subject: Re: Thanks for planting some floss in Copenhagen
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:59 pm 

janissen wrote:
It Might be a good idea though, to have the guys who handle the spotlights, trained in spotting who, on the stage, is playing a solo!

Yeah, it seems the light and sound engineers were not as skilled as the musicians on stage. The light engineer seemed to make some attempts to catch up with the dwindlings of some songs but failed. The overall sound was ok but there were some things lost. I didn't hear the trumpet all night. Joe Travers jumped in and did something during a Bozzio spot where you could only hear Travers acoustically from the stage as his kit was apparently turned off. There was a high feedback thing coming and going all night. Maybe the crew wasn't invited to those long rehearsals...

All in all though, it was a great show. I thought things were a little bit tense, both on stage and in the crowd during the first set but things loosened up when Bozzio and Vai came out with all their experience. I got the feeling that the tension came from some kind of too big respect for the entire thing - again, both from the musicians and the audience. It's such a big thing coming out and do this tour and everyone is treating it like a big tribute to Frank. Which it is, of course, but there is no need to make it too safe. Frank would probably not have liked that. And he would have sacked the light and sound engineers. :wink:

But again, this was a great show and considering it was just the second show of the tour, this band will proabably scary as the tour comes to an end. I do hope Dweezil's hints from the stage about a continuation of this project is true. I will be there thenext time and I will buy at least three t-shirts that time too. But hey, be sure to bring enough next time. The merch booth was very empty after the show and a lot of people walked away disappointed.

Post subject: Re: Thanks for planting some floss in Copenhagen
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:25 pm 

swepett wrote:
I thought things were a little bit tense, both on stage and in the crowd during the first set but things loosened up when Bozzio and Vai came out with all their experience.

As a Dane I was a bit embarrassed, that a few idiots had to yell their personal opinions constantly in the beginning of the show. It is my belief that there is a whole generation of Danes who have challenged every thing in society since 1967, and Frank being who he was, sort off brought up the worst in those "know it all" critics. Since Dweezil has another, more soft and nice guy presence, I hope he does succeed in raising a new and younger audience, like he set out to do. I like the new feeling from the stage.
The music demands respect, the musicians deserve respect and Dweesil shows respect. It would be a shame if touring 200 motels resulted in a more hardened and cold stage performance. I hope the rest of the tour will be more asshole free, but some people can't separate the Frank Zappa persona from the music, and it seems that they project that persona onto Dweezil. Or maybe some people thought that they were being asked to "accept a substitute", but wake up!
As a famous religious figure once said: "we are all individuals!"

Post subject: The Copenhagen Concert
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:00 am 

I had - together with some old friends - bought tickets not really expecting anything but a concert with some young, perhaps capable musicians spiced up with a few old dusted off stars from the past doing a tribute to Frank Zappa.

When we arrived we discovered that 75% of the audience were men (like our selves) - 50+, semiretired - straight - most of them former (and some present) potheads.

They looked as if they had attended every concert with Frank Zappa since the memorable one in 1971 in KB Hallen with The Underwoods, Dunbar, Flo & Eddie and you could tell that they had heard and experienced almost everything and then some and that nothing could impress them anymore.

A tougher audience you cannot find for a young band daring to take up the heritage of Frank Zappa.

Of course the band was nerveous - the was a lot at stake and it was only the second concert on the tour.

But the minute the musicians started playing the two songs from the first Mothers Of Invention album, any lack of trust in the ZPZ-idea were blown away by the musicallity and skills of the Band (I had completely forgotten how powerful these old songs were) and for every number it got better and better taking the music to a level that no one in the audience had experienced for years.

Instead of trying to copy the humor, the political & sexual wits, the ridiculing of double standards etc, which were so much part off the agenda and the concerts of the 70's, it was as if the band had decided to concentrate on the essence of the legacy of Frank Zappa: The Music.

As others in this forum already has described the band of this tour was the best band Frank Zappa never had. Instead of "showing off" their indvidual technical skills every musicians played for the band adding a lot of power and still being true to the original music.

Most impressing to me personally was Joe Travers. When the other musicians, as dictated by FZ's original music, went on syncopated rides in all directions Travers followed them and each time made them all land on their feet again. It was simply one of the best drum performances I have ever heard.

And yes Dweezil made the night's most beautiful solo in Incha Rhoads without copying FZ's original (after my humple oppinion the most beautiful solo FZ ever recorded).

And yes Napolean was great (and by no means dusty) daring to take all the lead vocals and supporting Dweezil and the other musicians.

The sound and light has been critizised by some, but it was obvious that the crew by reasons unknown hadn't had time to rehearse properly, so no blame on them.

The only critic I will rise is perhaps the volume of Terry Bozzio in the beginning of the 2. set. Mr. Bozzio is such an exceptional good drummer that he doesn't need so much from mothers little helper at the FOH desk. It turned his contribution into a showcase in stead of a musical experience
in sharp contrast to Mr. Vai's very balanced performance, which was great.

All in all it was one of the best concerts I have ever been to and it gave us all great hope for the musical future.

Come back soon !!!

Saul

PS. to the Band: By the reponse from the audience don't ever think you didn't make in Copenhagen - you really did - everyone I saw and talked to were simply blown away by your performance, but you cannot expect grumpy old men to go nuts no matter how good it was.

Post subject: All hail Napoleon
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:19 am 

Yes, Napoleon deserves all the praise he gets. I forgot that in my somewhat grumpy post above. All through the show I was constantly amazed at both his amazing energy, his talent, his obvious passion for this music and his respect for the young guys he was playing with.

One favorite moment of mine was towards the end of the show when Vai was doing something flashy. I guess most of the people in the crowd was watching Steve but for some reason, maybe because I am a drummer first even though I'm a big Vai fan, my eyes turned over to the other side of the stage where Bozzio was playing along excellently to Vai's freaky soloing. Behind Bozzio was Napoleon, smiling away and watching Terry's drumming with that "how the hell does he do that?" look on his face.

When the solo was over, Napoleon had to return to his side of the stage and he just continued smiling and shaking his head in amazement over what he had just witnessed just a few inches away from his eyes and ears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 3:53 pm 

BTW, here's a link to a review of the show:
[url]
http://gaffa.dk/anmeldelser/view.php/mreview_id=31458[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:07 pm 

Here's a somewhat (as good as it gets) translation of a Danish review from the Danish Magazine called Gaffa: http://gaffa.dk/anmeldelser/view.php/mreview_id=31458 (Only review I've been able to find in the Danish press by the way):

Zappa Plays Zappa
Falconer Salen, Copenhagen

Live

(5 stars out of 6)
Date 17/5-2006

Glorious homage to Franks musical hocus pocus

As a homage to his father, Dweezil right now is traveling with his Zappa Plays Zappa show. Spiced with members from Franks original line-up, Dweezil humble presents 3 solid hours of musical Zappatisms.

Dweezil Zappa had chosen to start the show with 30 minutes of so far unseen footage from a Frank Zappa concert at the Roxy in Hollywood 1973. It gave the show a soft start, but became somewhat too nerdy.

After 28 minutes dad Frank began to tune his guitar up on the screen, and at the same time Dweezil's band, as shadows, entered the stage and tuned along. Slowly Frank slipped in the background, and the concert started for real. During the next five quarters, the eight piece band on stage loyally reproduced Franks old songs, making the connoisseurs in the venue falling into nostalgia over the departed musicmaker.

The compositions from Frank Zappa's curly cerebrations are a wonderful tangle of multirythmic im- and expressions. At the same time borderseeking as a challenged youngster, and banal during odd lyrics about everything from sweedish cookies to dental floss and hotdogs.

From the opening movie Frank Zappa's old tenorsaxplayer Napoleon Murphy Brock, living and alive stepped out of the screen, entered the stage somewhat 33 years older, but in no way oppressed by the time. As a Funky and in good form wag and singer, he was the most energetic and vivid musician on stage during the first part of the show. Unfortunately. One missed some of Franks untamable wildness.

Dweezil though had done his homework to in the best possible way, match the expectations from the crowd. "King Kong" was adduced to show why each of the multi-instrumentalists on stage had ended up in Dweezil's band. It became an instrumental playground a la Zappa senior, complete with handsignals og musical blends.

First part of the show was influenced by a somewhat stiff and solemn mood. This though quickly dissapeared after the break. The second part started a bit too early, to which result the thirsty souls from the long queues from the bars, only just in time, reached their seats with splashing plastic mugs.

The rythmwonder Terry Bozzio had brought a smaller version of his normally huge drum set, and Dweezil started off by shortly interviewing Bozzio about his time in Franks band. After that the second part aggressively started with "I'm So Cute" with Bozzio on vocal. Both on stage and in the crowd the mood now was a lot more unrestrained.

After some more songs with the drumwizzard in front, it was time for one of the evenings highlights. "This song was first written as a drum solo," Dweezil teased, resulting in the dedicated shouting and preparing their ears for "Black Page #1". There's also a #2, which the guitar phenomenon Steve Vai masters, but Dweezil thought that the band should start with #1 and then see what would happen from there. Right on, come on.

As expected long thin Steve Vai entered the stage to "Black Page #2" - as had he never done anything else. A superiour soundtrip from maybe the worlds longest guitarfingers. And there they were, the master and the pupil. When Dweezil was 12 years old, he thought, that what his father was doing on the guitar, was way too complicated for him. Then Frank convinced Steve Vai to give his son a couple of guitar lessons, and soon the lad was well on his way. "And now we're standing here, so many years later on the same stage and playing Franks songs together." Dweezil dwelled at the moment.

Bozzio left the stage, and Vai magicspelled the audience with "Zomby Woof", where the guitar-acrobatic-equilibrist played tricks with the possible in a supernatural solo of another world. Nothing less.

"Sofa #2" ended the second part and the band left the stage to wild applause and standing ovations. The show had developed to more than just a homage to Frank Zappa. The bands, by saying, three months rehearsel had coined to a musical triumph, which gave new and old fans the possibilty to once more hearing the old Zappa classics competent performed on a stage.

The encore offered, among other things, a drumparty between Bozzio and regular drummer Joe Travers, who also is responsible for the huge vault of Frank Zappa's studio- and concert recordings from all of his career. Together the two drummasters displayed a show of rhythmic beauty and sustained effort - and then it was all over.

Dweezil and his nine musicians bowed and thanked for a great night: "It's been great to play this music again." Judging from the respond the audience completely agreed.